Originally Posted By: fan of the sport
Quote:
Oh no, the wrestling universe has collapsed some athletes with a losing records made it to the big dance in St. Louis.

At 125, Camden Eppert a sophomore from Purdue came out of the Big Ten Tournament with a 12-15 record.

At 133, another Big Ten sophomore from Penn State, Frank Martellotti, qualified with an 8-9 mark.

Looks like the NCAA should just cancel the tournament.
Quote:

NCAA Wresting Tournament

Looks like your supporting Lucas's point. 2 out of 330 make it with a losing record or less than 1%. But 20% qualify for state at 5A. 1% is an anomaly, 20% is too much. Anyway I know Camdem from Purdue, and he had a stacked schedule this year and he missed some of the easier matches.

I don't have a problem with kids qualifying for state with losing record, the problem in Kansas is its statistically too easy to qualify for state, as the bar is set low. 50% of potential varsity spots qualify for state in 5A or 6A. With all the open spots, more than 50% of varsity wrestlers qualify, that's why you have so many losing records.

You guys can huff and puff about these kids earned it and they deserve recognition. But I think its a valid discussion to look at the qualifying process in Kansas.

Add a few more to the list:
141 Scott Mattingly (CMICH) 15-22
157 Brian Tanen (LEHIGH) 7-15
285 Peter Capone (OSU) 14-15
285 Cole Tobin (WISC) 8-16

That makes 6 total wrestlers with losing records. There were also a quite few kids with .500 or one win above records, but I didn't want to count them up.

Even more interesting there are 4 wrestlers from the Big Ten with losing records in the tournament. Must be the worst conference in college wrestling. wink wink wink

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]