GOOD - I saw kids wrestle hurt, I saw kids beat opponents they shouldn't, I saw kids walk off together after a hard match, I saw friends and competitors from different clubs supporting each other in matches, I saw new friends made, I saw the joy of wins and defeats that were crushing. I saw so much of what makes this sport so special.

BAD - Bad calls by refs, bad decisions by coaches, bad sportsmanship by wrestlers, bad attitudes by refs, coaches, wrestlers and parents.

UGLY - I saw a kid (who had in his previous match upset last years state champ) have his spirit crushed by an opposing coach who told his wrestler to "stay down" after an injury. The ref called it an illegal hold when the injury occured (which it was NOT but that really doesnt matter). The coach was overheard by MANY matside telling his wrestler if he stayed down, he would win the match and get into the semi's and place.

I can not express how much fun I have had in this sport the last 6 years my kid has wrestled. The number of friends made cannot be counted. Though most of us have slipped into the "Bad" category at times, I really only remember the "Good". We all teach our kids sportsmanship, no excuses, the ref didnt cost you the match, hard work pays off, etc...... But in 2012, I'm sorry to say I will remember the UGLY.

To those of you who believe in the GOOD and work to improve the BAD, you are the foundation that makes this sport special for us and the kids who participate. Your leadership keeps the UGLY from occuring very often.

Cory Schrater