Allie,

Last year I was asked to lead a committee for the state and try to develop a standard definition for novice. The idea was that the state could then adopt a standard definition. The committe had representatives from every district. We came up with about 5 options that were supposed to be presented to the districts and then taken to the state board. We could not gain consensus nor was there a lot of momentum to continue trying to define Novice so the issue was tabled. The state decided to leave the definition up to the tournament directors.

Here's what I personally learned from that process along with coaching for the past 10 years in KS...

1. I was not a big fan of Novice when we started seeing more Novice tournaments. I have changed my mind because I have seen it keep kids in wrestling until it finally "clicks" for them.

2. Some kids can legitimally be Novice for about 3-4 years depending on their skill set, their aggressiviness, maturity, etc. I have had kids legitemally wrestle novice for four years because they didn't even win matches in the pure novice meets. Then all of a sudden it clicked for them.

3. On the other hand, I have had kids that it "clicks" for them right away and don't wrestle Novice at all. Do we have folks that "trophy hunt"...yep. However, I think they are a small minority and I would hate to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of a very small population.

BLUF: As coaches and club directors we have a responsibility to monitor our our wrestlers and more importantly their parents expectations. This can cause some uncomfortable conversations but it is necessary for the good of the sport.

Just my 2 cents.

Shawn Budke

Bluff: