While it is unfortunate that this rule could cost a young man a trip to state or a place on the state medal stand, I do not feel a compromise should be forged! The girls who do this sport work hard and deserve to wrestle and KSHSAA does not have a rule that prevents them from participating. Therefor, Catholic Schools know that when they join KSHSAA the "boys cannot wrestle girls" rule may cost their student-athletes. Furthermore, these boys and families should be aware that the potential is present for this situation to arise. It is certainly unfortunate!

I hope it does not cost a young man an opportunity to qualify and place at state, but if a compromise needs to be made then it is up to the leadership in the Kansas City Diocese to compromise their beliefs and let their boys wrestle girls(which seems to be what the parents in the article are asking for).

By the way, I am Catholic and do not believe it is a sin for a boy to wrestle a girl. If and when my boy starts wrestling, we will wrestle girls if a girl toes the line and my son is ok with it. My children will attend public school so the decision will be up to our family.

Rick Williams
Colby High School