Here is another idea, keep the districts supplying their top 4 wrestlers, and if the districts can't supply 4, then take the 5th and 6th place wrestlers out of the other districts and have another tournament to fill what is vacant. Yes that would mean another tournament, but you talk about getting the best kids to state, this would give them more of a chance. And it would give the State tournament 16 kids.

I don't believe it is fair to restrict the numbers based on population, because I have seen all the districts are short in one group or the other, where the others have more. If you look at the high school regionals, is it all the good wrestlers that go or is it the top 4 out of each regional.

My suggestion has flaws, but from what I have read, everyone wants to fill the state brackets to get the best wrestling. I've seen kids that are good from all over, and I feel that the current way of doing districts is also good, but maybe there should an option to fill the state brackets to get as many kids the oppurtunity to go as possible. Since 16 is the limit, why not fill it with the disticts that have more, but do it by having the 5th and 6th placers wrestle for it.

Don Walker
Glasco, Ks

Don Walker
Beloit Wrestling