Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
They expanded contact to football in the last few years. Football coaches get their hands on the kids the day after Memorial Day now. The ONLY time wrestling coaches get to have their kids without a conflict with football is during wrestling season.

I know, they expanded the contact for football as a result of the summer contact rules for wrestling I believe. As I said, this has still been great for our wrestling program, primarily because we had coaches in both sports willing to work with each other. My guess is, in some schools that has not been the case and football has dominated the summer activities. There is already a strong desire for spring football amongst many fans. Seeing as how football carries the financial load for most other sports it wouldn't surprise me if a change in spring contact for wrestling was accompanied the same for football. Be careful what you wish for!

Sportsfan, I respectfully disagree with the highlighted statement. Football can't even pay for itself at the high school level. ANY HS that claims that football is a cash cow is either cooking the books, under insured or using equipment that is not current. Add it up: insurance, helmet, shoulder pads, pants for practice, pants for games, jerseys, coaches, football field capital cost, football field maintenance, utilities, travel costs, etc. Wrestling might be the least expensive sport for a school to offer.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com