I want to clear up some of the issues brought up here in the last couple of days. I do know that the FHSU administration is very supportive of the 321A State Tournament and in no way wants it to move. It has been brought up about the past and how it always worked out with no basketball games scheduled that weekend. FHSU used to be part of the RMAC and their schedule did not present any issues for the weekend of the state tournament. They then entered the MIAA Conference. Originally the number of teams and the makeup of the Conference presented no issues either. Since then, the Conference has grown and the scheduling has changed. Everyone needs to keep in mind that trying to change a game date or location does not involve just the 2 teams playing. These games are scheduled involving at least 2 other teams playing on a road trip for the week. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the MIAA tournament starts next week, Monday and Tuesday, so the game could not be scheduled for Sunday. We need to realize Gross Memorial is the home of the FHSU Tigers basketball and wrestling teams and they should have priority for its use.
These tournaments are a huge undertaking by the FHSU administration that has nothing to do directly with their programs. Did anyone thank them last year when they spent several hours moving snow and preparing the location from the blizzard dropping 17" of snow? This is not an issue between FHSU and the 321A State Tournament. It has to do with scheduling that is currently out of FHSU hands.
The atmosphere is second to none at Hays during the 321A State Tournament and I hope it continues. We need to be careful not to lose it based on some misinformation. If anyone has any issues, good or bad, make sure and let FHSU know so they can address them.
Brian Schumacher