I just drew this out. Not an expert by any means--just an old soccer coach.

Try to construct a 16 bracket for a 12 team wrestling tournament-i.e., a KS 12 team regional.
---a full 12 team weight class will have 8 total byes (4 open round byes, 4 byes transfer 1st round of the losers bracket)

---A weight class with only 11 wrestlers will total to 11 byes that all transfer to the backside (5 open, 5 1st round losers bracket, 1 to the 2nd round losers bracket.

---A weight class with only 10 wrestler will transfer 14 byes to the backside (6 open round, 6 byes to the 1st round losers bracket, 2 byes to 2nd round of losers bracket).

---I think every added open round bye adds at least byes 3 if not more. Very low density weight classes with less than 8 wrestlers may need to go to an 8 bracket format or you will be 3 days at what was intened to be a two day tournament. What a sore buttocks!!

Assuming an average of 10 wrestlers per weight class (that may be overly optimistic) X 14 weight classes you potentially have a tournament short fall of 140 byes--that's a lot of byes to work through!)

Somebody please check/review/certify/destroy my numbers.

Last edited by WillyM; 03/14/14 04:54 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing