Originally Posted By: Railers91
I still think virginia beach is better(we have had wrestlers at both tournaments)but both are very tough if you are all-american or especially national champ you would have been successful either way. Don't agree with the missing too much school theory our guy missed two days and that is planned way ahead so not a big deal. Congrats to all our kansas wrestlers they represented our state well.

This years VA Beach schedule has been drastically modified. The NHSCA breaks their tournament up into four classifications: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors. At the USA event there are only two: Cadets (8th, Fr, and So) and Juniors (any Fr, So, Jr, or Sr but mostly Jr and Sr wrestlers). This event is conducted on Friday and Saturday. The Va Beach requires a full day ahead of travel. In the past each age group started on a different day and wrestling was staggered. A Freshman would have had to miss an entire WEEK of school a Soph four days, and Jrs and Srs three days minimum. The reduced number of participants has scaled the schedule back. I have been attending the USA event since it was being held in Topeka, so at least 10 years. It has grown substantially during that time. The Jr division was only recently added but has been very popular, filling to capacity a few times. The offering of a free training camp at the OTC as well as separation criteria for Fargo has attracted some of the top notch wrestlers. My son also attended Va Beach his Jr & Sr years. I believe he was the FIRST Kansas underclassman to ever attend the NHSCA event. It was apparent to me after these experiences that you should attend your Jr year as most coaches were looking for juniors as they had filled their scholarship needs for the Sr class by the time this tournament took place. Just like any big time event, you can see some brackets are deeper than others. There is no clear cut winner in the spring. However, in the fall it is Super 32 and nothing else comes close, even in the spring.

Last edited by Cokeley; 04/07/14 06:33 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com