Originally Posted By: Teamroper
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
I don't agree. I am not complaining about open weights. The Thunder would not care if their opens resulted in giving up 2 advancement and 2 bonus for their opens on the front and 1 plus 2 on the back. We have a reason that we CANNOT bring guys. We aren't leaving guys home bc they would get pinned and we are worried about team points or regional seeding records.

This year at the JoCo Classic there were seven teams with 8 or fewer wrestlers. These are 6a schools with over 1,000 and sometimes more than 1,500 students. There is no excuse to not find 14 competitors.

Will some of those teams may be young and it would be not very wise to send them to the wolves at that point in their wrestling career. I am not talking about dodging but fresh/soph with little to no experience.

What would a Bobcat, Newton, Derby tournament do to benefit that type of kid. Probably remind him that he started way to late.

On the other hand the same kid can go wrestle 3/4 matched at a JV tournament with kids close to his same experience and skill level.

It is called development, some schools and kids need it. Again this isn't dodging, this is being outclassed and out gunned.

Does everyone fit into that category I bet not, but I have seen the success of a few of these type of kids already this year.

Will you have to remember that SJA is a exception to most rules, there aren't many school with 2 to 3 deep quality kids that can go win varsity matches. Most are lucky to even feel the entire roster with "experienced" kids.

First of all we are not 2 to 3 kids deep. Every year we have a handful of experienced wrestlers and we fill in with kids that have never wrestled before. Last year we had two or three weights that we had two quality wrestlers in but we developed them. We have 30 kids this year and only 8 experienced wrestlers.

Are you familiar with the Allen, TX HS team? Last year, because they won their third state football title in a row, had a handful of varsity wrestlers still playing football. So they filled their roster with first year wrestlers who had never wrestled a varsity match. Their first tournament, THE IRONMAN. The second tournament was the KC Stampede. Coach Best has one of the best programs in the country. I think you can be developed in many different ways. I personally don't think much development happens at the JV level however I do think staying on the mat 11 months a year does!!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com