Now that I posed what I see as problems….. Here is what I think may help.

First…. More quality tournaments, less quantity tournaments. I know that clubs count on the fund raising from tournaments, (still not sure where that money goes) but would not one 950 kid tournament split and ran by 2 or 3 clubs that split the money do better than three tournaments that are under staffed with 300 participants. That would lead to more diversity in opponents instead of the same 4 kids in a round robin every weekend. Get rid of the novice division…. All of the younger kids are novice, if you want more kids to get medals, then place the top 8. Kids get tired of the same bracket every week.

Next…. Have four district approved qualifiers each year that will award points to determine the seeds at district. This will eliminate any question of seeds and it will encourage better participation in these tournaments that can be rotated and shared among clubs each year for “Fund Raising”. It also make subs less necessary because district will seed it self.

Finally…. 14U is as old as we go… wrestle districts the week after High School State. Then start summer programs with High School and club coming together if they choose. Encourage your High Schoolers to act as mentors and coaches for the two weeks following High School State, builds good character and help little guys who look up to big guys. Keeps high school wrestlers engaged in the sport but allows small break to heal and motivate. It would also be a chance to begin training our coaches and officials of the future.

Side note…. We can work with clubs to transition to freestyle and have more clubs that see the benefits of running freestyle tournaments. This will allow a smoother easier transition and encourage those that enjoy the sport to look forward to freestyle state and not end with folk style… I believe this will help accomplish the goals you have set out.