Originally Posted By: Cokeley
I have hated this issue for years! We are the ONLY state that allows this. I think it is a great opportunity for 8th graders but I would NEVER let any of my sons wrestle 14U after they have had a season of HS. It was our personal choice to seek opportunities to GET BETTER! A wrestler that has just practiced five days a week for more than three months and wrestled kids that could be four or even five years older has, to me, had significant training advantage, regardless of how awful you might feel your HS coach and schedule are. If EVERYONE approached wrestling as a means of challenging yourself to get better this would not be an issue. However, I respect those who leverage the within the rules option to choose their own path. It just isn't a path I nor any coach who is seeking to develop state champions would choose.

THE NUMBER ONE CHALLENGE WE, AS A WRESTLING COMMUNITY, ARE CONFRONTED WITH IS MISPLACED PRIORITIES. THE NUMBER ONE MISSION OF OUR BOARD, CLUBS, CLUB DIRECTORS, PARENTS, AND COACHES SHOULD BE TO DEVELOP A PASSION FOR WRESTLING AND FIND WAYS TO SUSTAIN THIS PASSION! WINNING IS A BY PRODUCT OF THIS AND IT IS A DANGEROUS FORMULA TO HAVE OUR ATHLETES FALL IN LOVE WITH WINNING ONLY. IT IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER TO KEEP LOOKING FOR WAYS TO WIN INSTEAD OF OPPORTUNITIES TO LEARN AND IMPROVE. TEACHING YOUR WRESTLERS THAT WINNING IS THE ONLY THING IS LIKE HANDING THEM A LOADED GUN AND TELLING THEM TO PULL THE TRIGGER AND EXPECT NO HARM. THERE IS SO MUCH TO ENJOY ABOUT THE GREATEST SPORT ON EARTH. THE SOCIAL ASPECT, THE TRAVEL, THE QUALITY TIME WITH YOUR KIDS, THE CHALLENGE, THE LEARNING, THE EXPERIENCE, ETC. DO NOT KEEP LOOKING FOR EXCUSES OR THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE. LIFE IS ABOUT COPING WITH BEING UNCOMFORTABLE, IT ISN'T ABOUT LOOKING FOR FAIRNESS!!

Every word of this! Cokeley I take back anything bad I ever said about you (I don't think there was anything, but you get my drift) This is everything I'm trying to say in 10x less words, Thank you for the clarity, good to know that I'm apparently NOT the only one who thinks there's a problem with the 14U situation

Last edited by BigBlue6; 03/16/17 01:49 PM.

The opinions herein are Mr Bluel's alone and are not that of OSHS, Falcon Empire or any other entity