Originally Posted by olwrestler
Todd,

I would love to hear how your tournament went. Things that worked and didn't work. We are headed to Hoxie for our first tournament of the year. We are excited to give it a go.

Hoping to see more tournaments pop up in the near future.

Good things:
1. Coaches and participants complied with the mask mandate for the most part. I was happy with this. We all need to do our parts with this if we are going to continue to be able to have tournaments.
2. I split our mats down the middle of the gym lengthwise to place the tables with my high school team running the tables. This kept all people away from the tables and isolated them from the majority of people all day. Coaches stayed opposite the tables on the edges of the mats. I really like this format to eliminate the congestion around the tables. Just the kids checking in came near the high school kids working the event.
3. We livestreamed all 6 mats. We had an upload issue to begin as there was not enough bandwidth on our staff network to stream that many at once. We changed 3 of them to cellular data after a few matches and it relieved the stress on the network and all 6 seemed to be good the rest of the day. We use ethernet cables to all the table computers so we don't have to worry about wifi issues for the track computers.
4. Our attendance policy was only 1 coach per 2 wrestlers. That wasn't ideal, but it was the only way we could get 225 wrestlers in the gym and stay under our 400 total person capacity.

Would change if we had to do it over:
1. We waited until 930ish to build the brackets due to the unknown number of possible scratches, especially this year. Ideally I would build those the night before and go through and make sure the seeding looked right and that teammates were separated. There is a function when setting up your tournament to do this, but only for 1st rounds. Had some teammates wrestle in the semi finals which is unfortunate.