Mr. Furches,

I agree with your last post but I have yet to see the results of enforcing our intentions. The following is something I obviously did not write. But, I think it would help educate the ones we need to give something to think about.

The underlying philosophy of youth sports should rely on a developmental model of sport versus professional models of sport. It is in this view, that the body, mind and soul of youth are in a developmental process and should be attended to while coaching a child. Teams and coaches have a tremendous impact on a developing child. They hold the power to build positive self-regard, cooperation, trust, respect, integrity, strength, character and other traits of a healthy person. Youth sports need to be focused on the process of the experience versus the outcome. The internal life of a child cannot be sacrificed for “the win.” The measure of success for a child involved in youth sports should be based on their “striving” and commitment to “maximum effort.”

How to Keep Youth Sports Positive
1. Research the youth sport organization
2. Interview and meet with coaches for committing to a team or private lessons
3. Discuss season goals with child athlete, coaches and parents - make sure everyone is on the same page
4. Discuss expectations around winning.
5. Coaches, parents and athletes need to develop a philosophy around losing
6. Examine whether the coach or parents is imposing personal "fantasies" on the athlete
7. Develop a strategy for periodized training and methods of recovery