I've been associated with the sport of wrestling over the past thirty years as a fan, a participant (kid's league through college), an official, and a coach. The reason I encouraged my kids to give this sport a try and the reason I spend so many volunteer hours each week/year coaching kids is that so much good can come from the experience...(well beyond the competition itself). I've also told my kids that even though there are a thousand reasons to love this sport there will (unfortunately) most likely be some bad experiences too. It is very upsetting to see the sport I love be desimated and degraded by the actions of a few clubs, coaches, participants, and their family members (many of whom have never actually competed in this sport nor really understand it). When kids are trained/coached in the same manner that one trains pit bulls for a dog fight...it hurts the sport. When parents and coaches develop a "win at all costs mentality"...it hurts the sport. When participants resort to deliberate cheap shots (legal or illegal) with intent to harm...it not only hurts the sport, it often hurts the wrestler. It's also important to note that there's more than one video of that match and depending on which official you talk to, there are differing opinions on the legality of the hit. I was taught to wrestle tough, aggressive and intense but I was never taught to wrestle dirty or deliberately throw a "haymaker" arm chop against an opponents face or bone joints. Even worse was the jubilation, high-fives, and "good job boy!" comments that followed knowing that the opponent was injured. That did happen and numerous people were as appauled to witness it as I was. This sport is hanging on by a very thin thread and there's no room for this crap or for the officials that condone it. It takes the sport to a place I don't think the majority of us want it to go. Don't get me wrong as I received my share of bloody noses, cuts, bruises, stiches and broken bones from this sport. Part of the reason I loved it was because of how physically and mentally challenging it was. But in all my years I never had anyone deliberately try injure me with cheap shot or dirty move. And if an injury did occur, the opposing wrestler, coaches and fans always showed the utmost concern and respect. Something that was certainly lacking from one club. I'm proud to be associated with the Derby club, it's coaches, parents, fans and kids. Our kids don't win all there matches, heck they may not even win the majority of them, but down the road, later in life we all know which kids will be successful and which ones will be...we'll you can fill in your own conclusion here. Personally, I can't imagine being kicked out of my own hometown's club and having to form my own club. Nor can I imagine the majority of my hometown cheering when the "Heat gets beat" in their own gymnasium. That's got to be tough to swallow late at night staring at that silver medal. And Yes Lisa, you did get one thing right, Dickson did offer a hug to his injured opponent as it's alway easy to console your opponent after you've won or shattered their elbow. What was far more impressive was a Derby kid after having his elbow broken from a cheap shot, walk to the center of the mat and shake hands...that's called heart, courage, and character. By the way, how was Dickson's response to his Mulvane opponent who beat him in the finals? Finally, as the Dickson clan goes back to work on that college scholorship tomorrow, my son will undergo very painful reconstuctive elbow surgery and a lifetime of pins and screws in his bones courtesy of that "legal move." I guess the AC Heat can carve another notch in that gun barrel and then for the sake of this once great sport......Turn It Up.
Sleep well ~ WGACA
All4thekids