Kansas Wrestling

Amarillo Nationals

Posted By: Bones1768

Amarillo Nationals - 09/26/09 02:11 AM

With all the talk of Bighorn Nationals in Colorado, I am just wondering who was going to the Amarillo Nationals wrestling tournament. I know it is the first year for this tournament, but it does count for points in the cliff keen championship series. For all that is worth.

Trying to get an idea, someone from our club was interested in going, and wanted to see who else in Kansas was thinking of going.
Posted By: wrestlecar1

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/26/09 02:18 AM

Thought about going but my boy will still be playing football. Looked like a good opportunity to see different competition. Would like to know for future reference if it is a good tournament.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/26/09 03:38 AM

Jacob Beeson, Kael Pappan and Sammy Dickey will be going from Ark City. Going to be a long drive to make it back for the state meeting on Sunday.
Posted By: bubbsdad

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/26/09 03:49 AM

how much will kael pappan be wrestling?
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/26/09 12:15 PM

Not 100% positive because we have not signed up yet but I would say 46. Thats not written in stone though dad might put him at 49.
Posted By: allaroundwrestli

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/26/09 01:17 PM

Mason, Brittany, and Jaymez Turner will be going to Amarillo and the following week Mason will be competing in Bighorn, from Chanute Kansas.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 01:23 AM

is Kael Pappan still 6u?
Posted By: KMac

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 01:49 AM

Yes he is.....good b-day....tough kid

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 01:57 AM

is ethan miller from missouri 8u this year?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:12 AM

Yes....bottom of 8's I believe....about 99% sure

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:21 AM

HES A TOUGH KID, MY SON WRESTLED HIM IN RENO, HES FUN TO WATCH

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:34 AM

My son wrestled him 2 years ago when they were both 6U's. He is a tough kid.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:41 AM

any idea how much salvador gutierrez from colorado is weighing?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:45 AM

He was 43# last year....would guess 46# but don't know

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:46 AM

have you guys wrestled jacob moran from illinois?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:53 AM

Never have....we were bracketed to get him @ Tulsa last year, but lost in Semis and didn't get to wrestle him. He's good....very quick and active....hope to get to wrestle him this year.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:55 AM

we wrestled him in reno two years ago, hes a very fast little guy

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 02:57 AM

have you guys wrestled gutierrez?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:02 AM

Once....lost 4-2 in Consolation Semis @ Tulsa last year....did not wrestle well....definitely want to see him again this year.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:05 AM

Rocky Stephens is a tough kid too. Kale beat him at 07 Kickoff, then lost in 08 Tulsa Finals. He beat Kale at Kickoff and Tulsa Ntls last year. Their styles are very different and he has been a matchup problem for Kale if Kale doesn't score first and get control early. Kale has beat several other kids that have beat Stephens, but doesn't do well against him head-to-head (last yr anyway).

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:06 AM

are you guys going to rmn monster match on halloween?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:08 AM

we lost to moran 7-6 in the semis in our young year in reno, i wander what hes going to weigh?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:10 AM

I don't think so. We considered it, but my wife is due on Oct 30th. If anything, we may send him with our Head Coach to Amarillo if they decide to go. He may not go to either, but probably a better chance of going to Amarillo I would guess.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:12 AM

Probably be 46# also. He has gone 37, 40, and 43 over last 3 yrs. He improved a lot from 07-08 to last year.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:12 AM

have you guys wrestled cade miller?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:17 AM

Two years ago, they wrestled twice. Kale was up 5-0 going into the 3rd period the first time and got headlocked to his back with about 10 secs left and lost 7-6. Cade beat him in the quarters at 8U State when they were both 6U's that year also (7-2). He finished last year at 49, so Kale will probably be too much lighter to see him again. He's a good, tough kid.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:18 AM

so do you think you guys are 43 or 46?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:21 AM

is Frank alirez from co a pretty tough kid?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:24 AM

Right in between right now, but we'll see after they start working out. He wrestled 43 at big tourneys last year, but normally weighed in around 41.5. He wrestled local tourneys up to 49 to get used to bigger kids. I hope he can gain some weight and be a full 46#. I know that the competition will be real good at 46 with the strong group of 8 yr olds and the new crop of 7 yr olds. It should be some fun brackets to watch.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:26 AM

Frank is a solid kid. Kale has wrestled him the last 2 yrs at Panhandle and once at Tulsa Ntls.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:29 AM

gobencion from the scorpions is a tpough kid also, so is nishigaya from hawaii i think they will be bigger, but you never know?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:34 AM

Gobencion was 1st team All Star two years ago at 43 and showed up to Kickoff last year at 43 and was huge. He looked closer to 49 than 43. He beat everyone pretty easily (Kale, Stephens, Moran, and Gutierrez). Kale lost 7-1 and Gutierrez lost 7-2 and he stuck the others. He was just too big. He couldn't cut the weight for Tulsa and I think he got 3rd or 4th at the higher weight. I think he lost to the smaller Nishigaya in the 3rd place match. Both Nishigaya's and Gobencion will be a minimum of 49 if not 52 I'm sure.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:36 AM

ethan miller should be 46-49 wouldnt you guess

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:39 AM

I'm guessing 46. Only wrestled him once, but watched him some last year at both Tulsa tourneys and at KS Tourn of Champions. He's solid.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:40 AM

How did you do against him? Did you go to Tulsa or just Reno?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:42 AM

we were up in reno 8-0 in the finals in the 3rd period and got chinned whipped for 5 points in the final part of the 3rd we ended up winning 8-5

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:45 AM

So you're the one that kept him from winning the Trinity then? He dominated the matches that I watched at Tulsa last year, so congrats.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:47 AM

thanks he was a pretty agressive kid... pretty strong little guy

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:49 AM

I'm not sure what kids will be at RMN Monster Match with Amarillo the same weekend. I'm guessing that Alirez and Gutierrez will both be there since they wrestle that series every year. Most KS kids don't chase that series because Rocky Mtn Ntls are the same weekend every year as our District qualifiers the week before State. Some of them may go for one tourney though. I would like to go to some of their tourneys to see some new kids, but I know that Monster Match is out for this year.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:49 AM

have you guys wrestled sedurburg from missouri?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:51 AM

Hunter is pretty excited were going to monster match, then were going to the tulsa kick off 3 weeks later so hes pretty pumped.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:55 AM

Two years ago at Brute Adidas Ntls. They don't seed it and we drew each other first round. Kale was up 3-0 with about 15 secs left and Sederburg started to reverse him. Kale should have given up the reversal, but he wouldn't let go and ended up giving up 2 back pts as time expired....lost 4-3. They both won the rest of their matches by pins or tech falls. Would like to have had that one back. He was 46 at Kickoff last yr but cut to 43 for Tulsa Ntls. He lost to Moran in one semi when Kale lost to Stephens in the other.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:55 AM

were pretty excited rmn is doing a tournament in oregon this year and wre hopeing alot of kids from out of state end up coming the dates are dec 11,12 it should be a pretty good tournament

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:57 AM

He's got a bigger frame than most of the kids we talked about....wouldn't be surprised if he can't make 46 this year, but would like to get a re-match sometime.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:57 AM

how close was the moran guttierrez match at tulsa nationals?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 03:58 AM

Oregon is a long ways for us poor Kansans. It would be nice to go that far and see all new kids though.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:01 AM

It was close.....something like 7-5 I think....Moran beat him pretty bad the year before when they were a weight heavier than Kale, but Gutierrez closed the gap last year. I think Gutierrez has beat him at least once, but I don't remember for sure. Overall, Moran has won most of the time.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:02 AM

how close were rocky and moran?

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:03 AM

I saw your other post asking about weights for Kale, Michael Spangler and Boo Dryden. I'm not sure of weights, but Michael and Boo are both 10U's.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:06 AM

5-1 if I remember right. Gutierrez beat Kale 4-2 and then beat Sederburg for 3rd. I think that was a 4-5 point win but I don't remember the exact score.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:07 AM

rocky likes to chin whip doesnt he? i watched him 2 years ago in reno

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:07 AM

Gutierrez beat Stephens pretty bad in the challenge match for 2nd. Something like 9-3.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:11 AM

Oh yeah....in Tulsa Finals in 08, Rocky kept Kale in front headlock position for most of the match trying to throw it. That was a good lesson though. He has several counters now so at least he learned something from that loss. Rocky will beat a mediocre kid 2-0 but he gets up for certain kids and can turn it up. It's all about your style when you wrestle him.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:11 AM

moran was 46 at eastern worlds so i wander if he can stay down there???

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:15 AM

I don't know....hope so because Kale has never got to wrestle him and he really wants to (and so do I).

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:16 AM

us to we were up in reno 2 years ago 6-4 with 15 sec left he got a escape and took us down with 3 seconds left in the semis

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:23 AM

Those matches are tough when they happen that way (like Kale vs Sederburg). Maybe we'll both get to see Moran this year. He is still pretty short and medium framed so I would think that he is more likely to make 46 than Sederburg. I'm guessing that 46 will have Moran, Stephens, Gutierrez, Kale, E Miller, you, and maybe Alirez ( but he only came to Tulsa Ntls in 07). That should be pretty tough, plus some of last years' 40# kids may have grown more too. Thomas and Hussaini are both pretty good 40's from last year, but it was tough to judge them against the kids that they wrestled. Kale wrestled Thomas twice the year before but never met up with Hussaini even though he was in the same bracket several times.

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:24 AM

its getting late im going to bed its been good talking to you well see ya around take care

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:25 AM

thomas was in our bracket in reno this year he got 4th

Re: Amarillo Nationals - 09/27/09 04:40 AM

Me too....talk to you again later.....take care
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums