Kansas Wrestling

SPRAWL NATIONALS

Posted By: BRING IT ON!

SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/17/09 08:49 PM

Has anyone heard how big this tourny will be as far as entries? Are all the local clubs supporting it? Just curious sense we're signed up to be there.
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/17/09 10:00 PM

From what I could tell there aren't as many Kansas entries as one would have expected. It might have to do with the fact that many clubs don't start practicing until mid to late November.
Posted By: doug747

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/18/09 04:42 PM

Thanksgiving weekend probably isn't helping it either. We plan on sending our entries in by Thursday night, which I believe it he deadline.
Posted By: jeffroberts

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/18/09 06:38 PM

Do they have a list of entries up? If so where?

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/18/09 07:46 PM

I sent an E-mail to the people running Sprawl asking about entries. They responded close to 400 as of today and most will send the entries in tomorrow so looks to be a good turn out. My boy is excited to be wrestling in this tournament. Hope his bracket is stacked.
Posted By: elid2

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/18/09 09:02 PM

we only have about 10 from our club going out of about 50 members. a lot of the parents think it is too soon - i don't and have been trying to get as many a possible to go, but....
Posted By: hartley5

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/18/09 09:20 PM

Entry deadline is Thursday November 19th midnight. Entries should be sent to postmaster@3onesixproductions.com This should be a good quality tournament. Teams from several states have entered already. Come out and help support this tournament thats right here in Kansas. I know a few mats are still needed along with some table workers. If interested please contact postmaster@3onesixproductions.com

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/18/09 09:39 PM

I would love to support the tourney if I knew my son would have a bracket to wrestle in. Post the entries before the date. I am not driving to Wichita only to find out there was one other entry.
Posted By: BLT

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/19/09 03:15 AM

Please DO NOT post the entries before the deadline. All that does is let some people run from great competition.
You all know that this event will 600 - 700 - 800 strong and it will be good competition. The ones that have already been to tournaments or going to the Kickoff.
And if it goes smoothly then next year it will be 900-1000 strong.
I'm sure if there is only 1 kid in your bracket they will combine you with another (unless your weight class is so low or high) as long as it is safe/fair.
And if you are in one of those classes then you should be used to it by now anyway! LOL!
Please everyone get out and support this event. Its about time we had an event of this size and caliber in Wichita!
Posted By: Beeson

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/19/09 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffroberts
I would love to support the tourney if I knew my son would have a bracket to wrestle in. Post the entries before the date. I am not driving to Wichita only to find out there was one other entry.

Not one National Style tournament will post the entries before the deadline.
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/19/09 04:43 PM

true and i agree with both you but you could at least give numbers of entries. It just seems like alot to plan if only 500 kids show up for some of us on the other side of the state. i know its a new tourney but also what makes an event a "national" event.
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/20/09 12:04 AM

Brute and I believe USA Nationals posts their results from the beginning. I believe most people want entries posted not to run from competition, but to find the best competition. Remember money is tight this year. For us up North, like Jeff, going to this tournament is a $200 to $300 weekend. You just want to get the most bang for your buck. Remember customer service rules.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/20/09 01:41 AM

And if all of the good kids are waiting to see if other good kids are going to enter, then noone would know if they'd have good competition anyway!!!

Been a while since I got smart with you John!
Posted By: J. Dale

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/20/09 01:45 AM

Doug it's been awhile since you got smart period.
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/20/09 01:50 AM

Good point, doesn't affect me this year, but since what you say is true, what would it hurt by posting the entries like USA Nationals does from the beginning. And, Jared was disappointed you and Levi were not at Fall Brawl.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/20/09 12:12 PM

Levi didn't want to get headlocked.

Actually, football was going on.
Posted By: Mixitup

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/20/09 04:59 PM

FYI: Our club just sent in a late entry and they accepted and stated that due to entries still coming in they extended the deadline through Sunday night. So if anyone or club hasnt entered yet you still can until Sunday night.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/22/09 05:16 AM

One more day left people!!!
Lets build this event UP!
Posted By: win by pin

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 04:51 AM

How many entries did you guys get?
Posted By: GarateKids

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 01:45 PM

i really wished our club was going to this tournament,, sounds like alot of fun and alot of good competition!! we will see you there next season i hope.. good luck all and happy holidays
Posted By: John Moses

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 08:02 PM

Any idea on the total number of entries? I counted on track wrestling and got a total of 311!! I hope this isn't right!
Posted By: bawoody

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 08:49 PM

I just received an e-mail that the tournament has been postponed until January 16-17, 2010 due to low numbers.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 09:10 PM

WOW
Thats going to make January a very tough month of wrestling!!
Alot of BIG tournaments!
JOC
Goddard
Sprawl (if it goes BIG) or Winfield
Tulsa Nats
and Salina
Posted By: Crash99

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 09:14 PM

Yes the tournament has been postponed until Jan. 16th and 17th Due to low numbers. It was hard for us to come to this decision, however, we believe that this date will better serve Kansas and those that were planning to attend as well as draw in more competition. Below is a copy of the letter that was sent out to all those that had registered with the tournament:

Quote:
Hello,
First off I want to thank everyone for their entries and their support for Kansas Sprawl Nationals. Unfortunately, Due to an unforeseen Wrestling clinic that is being held the same weekend in Oklahoma a lot of our Oklahoma clubs and kids that were planning on attending and supporting us have decided to attend this clinic in Oklahoma, their 2000 wrestler participants were reached. Obviously we were not expecting to lose these numbers and it hurt our registration total.

Our total registration was about 450 wrestlers. We were expecting about twice these numbers. However, some of the kids that have entered are definantly some of the most elite wrestlers around. With us spending over $8,000 on awards alone and the ability to be one of the best tournaments around we DO NOT want to cancel this tournament. We would like to see all the brackets full though.

With that, we will be pushing this tournament back to Jan 16-17, 2010. This will allow us to get our registration up and provide you with one of the most stacked tournaments around. So we need to know how you want us to handle your entries? If this date is fine with you and you still want to keep your entry in just let us know and we will keep everything as it is and keep you entered.

If you have already sent payment to us and are still wanting to stay in that is fine we will just mark you down as paid. Obviously we would like to keep all the entries we already have if possible and keep the competition growing. However, I know there may be reasons that this new date just does not work out for you. If that is the case please let us know and if you have to pull out and have already paid we will return your entry fees.

Thanks
Posted By: WOOD_WON

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 09:38 PM

Good! I would rather see it moved than to hand out trophys to round robin brackets. You need to get with Winfield and see what can be done to work with them as their tournament has been a good tournament also.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 10:02 PM

I have contacted Justin Taylor with Pan Handle Nationals and he is extending their deadline until Tuesday, November 24 at noon!

Go to TXUSAWRESTLING.COM
click on youth, go to coaches corner, request login for non Texas team, fill out team info, then register the wrestlers.

If you have any questions please contact Justin Taylor 1-806-681-5616

-Sarah Hartley

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 10:19 PM

so do the clubs get refunds now?
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 10:20 PM

For all Jr. High age wrestlers. SEE OKLAHOMA OPEN POST!!! Norman, OK is MUCH closer than Lubbock, TX.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 10:26 PM

You will need to contact postmaster@3onesixproductions.com or Craig Gash.. I am sure they will refund or cancel any monies attributed..

Ryan Hartley
Posted By: Mike Dipman

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/23/09 11:38 PM

Can i make a suggestion i talked to a few oklahoma clubs and they said they would come,but they didnt like the fact that you had to rent a hotel for two nights. Kinda like Kick off classic wiegh in friday wrestle friday night , saturday and drive home that night. With the economy the way it is i think thats the way to go you would get more entries. Just a though. I wont this thing to work.Thats my two cents!
Posted By: John Moses

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 01:44 AM

The clinic in Ok is expecting 55 participants, no more than sixty. I believe that thanksgiving weekend had a lot to do with the low numbers, as well as it being scheduled for saturday and sunday with friday weigh - in. I did talk to a few Ok coaches who said it is just much easier to drive to panhandle nationals, stay one night and make it home on saturday evening rather than travel late on a sunday!

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 03:29 AM

What about those of us who bought hotel rooms for two nights through Priceline witch is non refundable? Are you guys going to refund that money? I know that when the numbers were down at Amarillo Nationals Jack Roller did not cancel his tournament because his reputation was on the line. Being wishy washy on your tournament will only hurt you in the future.I want a Refund on my motel $102 for two nights and $30 dollar entry fee.

Van Stanton
Posted By: RYLANT

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 03:33 AM

I Know I live in Kansas and I thought it would be crazy to get a hotel for Friday night and not wrestle until Saturday afternoon. And yes That is a long weekend the day after Thanksgiving. I don't know though that makes for a very busy Jan. Too bad we can't have a bigger tourney in Feb. there is nothing big in Feb.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: win by pin
What about those of us who bought hotel rooms for two nights through Priceline witch is non refundable? Are you guys going to refund that money? I know that when the numbers were down at Amarillo Nationals Jack Roller did not cancel his tournament because his reputation was on the line. Being wishy washy on your tournament will only hurt you in the future.I want a Refund on my motel $102 for two nights and $30 dollar entry fee.

Van Stanton

I don't think the tournament should be held responsible because you used Priceline. The way I see it, if you choose to use a non-refundable reservation service that is on you.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 01:39 PM

They said they were having the tournament and had been talking about it since Wichita classic last year. Like a dumb ass I believed them. Never would have thought they would have canceled it. It will tarnish there reputation. Unless they make it right we will never go to this tournament.
Posted By: RYLANT

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 01:39 PM

In all fairness though when was the last time that anyone saw a tournament canceled 4 days before the tourney? I know that when I rent rooms I always try to get the best deal.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: RYLANT
In all fairness though when was the last time that anyone saw a tournament canceled 4 days before the tourney? I know that when I rent rooms I always try to get the best deal.

Everyone knows the risks of using a non-refundable service going in. I seriously doubt the persons putting on this tournament have any funds with which to make refunds.
Posted By: sam

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 02:12 PM

I cant believe it was canceled. I have family coming in town for Thanksgiving. They were excited to get to see my son wrestle. What a big disappointment were going to Winfield in Jan. I feel for the people that rented hotels. I think they should put the tourney back on. all in favor say I lol

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 02:36 PM

1. Would people have rather had a tourny where they wrestled 1 or 2 kids??

2. I know some of these guys and I guarantee they will make it right with any one who lost money on hotels. They are very stand up men.

3. This event is for our kids so quit bashing it and get behind it!

4. FYI most people are still supporting it and leaving their entries in.

5. If you have something to say don't hide behind a kids talk forum call them directly and handle it.

316Productions contact
316-207-5495
Posted By: Mixitup

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 03:09 PM

Never going to be able to make eveyone happy. On one hand they could of put it on with lower numbers and certain brackets that may of only had 2-3 kids in it, those parents would of been pissed and been on here the next day saying how they cant believe they went and drove X amount of hours and only got to wrestle this many kids at a National Tournament..blah blah

Or like they did, decide to push it back a few weeks and try and get those numbers up and have full brackets with more kids to wrestle and better competition..and your still going to have people mad because the date was moved back??

Its a flip of the coin and I would rather my son have a bigger bracket..

Posted By: gocats

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 03:28 PM

We would love to still go to this. But, by moving it to January it interferes with our junior high season. That is why we were excited to see a tournament before the season starts in January.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 03:34 PM

With the kind of entry numbers that have been stated in this thread most weights would have been lucky to have 2-3 kids in them.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 04:13 PM

I just got off the phone with a guy at 316productions and he said that he would make it right. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens

Van Stanton

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 04:57 PM

they should have sucked it up and still put on the tourny as planned and put on the best tourny they could. now this tourny has no respect. 2 or 3 kids in a bracket? please! we all go to small tournys every week, i know my son always has at very least 8 man brackets. should have just held it...

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 07:08 PM

You can get on track wrestling and see for your self. They did the right thing by moving it. If they had held it and it would have had low numbers you would be on here talking about how there wasn't enough kids the tournament was joke. FYI this tournament has spent over 8,000.00 for trophy and medals. Should they just give them to 2-3 man brackets?

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: win by pin
They said they were having the tournament and had been talking about it since Wichita classic last year. Like a dumb ass I believed them. Never would have thought they would have canceled it. It will tarnish there reputation. Unless they make it right we will never go to this tournament.

This was not that same tournament! That was supposed to be put on by the same people that put on the Classic. When they backed out someone else tried to step up and fill some shoes. Guess what Kansas... a big preseason tournament is never going to work unless you do it after Dec 1st and then we lose the middle school kids.
So what do you do???

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 09:44 PM

There is a reason I encouraged a new tournament to post the entries. There is always someone out there that thinks they know more than I do, and rightly so. But not this time.

Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: jeffroberts

Not one National Style tournament will post the entries before the deadline.
Posted By: gymmom

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/24/09 11:27 PM

We are in the same boat as gocats. January will interfere with middle school wrestling. I liked the idea of a big tournament before middle school. I am assuming we will get our entry money back. Very disappointing.

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/25/09 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BLT

a big preseason tournament is never going to work unless you do it after Dec 1st and then we lose the middle school kids.
So what do you do???

Not all of them. Many of our middle schoolers here in the greater Wichita area are not reporting to their respective school teams till after the first of the year, if they are wrestling federation.
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/25/09 04:45 PM

In Lawrence our middle school season is done in December. Hopefully we be at Sprawl. It'll be a tough month with Salina and Tulsa. Tough on my wallet too! Tulsa I can get away with driving down Friday and Salina is only one night in a hotel. The only thing I wouldn't care for his havin to get a room for two days.
Posted By: roughly

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/25/09 04:50 PM

Has anybody seen this posted on the Sprawl Nationals (http://www.3onesixproductions.com/index.html) website:?

"SPRAWL NATIONALS HAS BEEN MOVED TO JAN 16-17, 2010!"
Posted By: roughly

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/25/09 05:14 PM

Ooops, sorry, just reviewed this subject in more detail and found that everybody is already aware of this. Sorry.
Posted By: imkindofabigdeal

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/26/09 12:37 PM

1. The holiday had to have an effect on the numbers.
2. I was looking forward to watching kids wrestler from out of state instead of the same kids from the district we can wrestle with all year long, but only about 11 wrestlers from out of state.
3. The tourn. has probably moved so the promoters don't lose money.($8,000 on awards)
COST
$8000 medals
$6000 arena
$10,000 misc. ??
=$24000 cost to have tourn??
At 800 entries
$25,000 kids entries
$20,000 parents admissions 1600x$12
$10,000 from City of Park City
$ ??? parking and coaches bands
316 Productions makes over $25,000. ???

I was excited about going until I found out about the parking fees, admission fees, and extra coaches band fees that were not posted on the tournament flyer but rather obscurley on their website. Just didn't seem right.
This is not bashing, I just want to post my concerns and maybe someone has information to contradict this...great please inform us.
Posted By: oaw

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/26/09 11:51 PM

So somebody from Texas is throwing a tournament in Kansas?
Posted By: Crash99

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/28/09 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: imkindofabigdeal
1. The holiday had to have an effect on the numbers.
2. I was looking forward to watching kids wrestler from out of state instead of the same kids from the district we can wrestle with all year long, but only about 11 wrestlers from out of state.
3. The tourn. has probably moved so the promoters don't lose money.($8,000 on awards)
COST
$8000 medals
$6000 arena
$10,000 misc. ??
=$24000 cost to have tourn??
At 800 entries
$25,000 kids entries
$20,000 parents admissions 1600x$12
$10,000 from City of Park City
$ ??? parking and coaches bands
316 Productions makes over $25,000. ???

I was excited about going until I found out about the parking fees, admission fees, and extra coaches band fees that were not posted on the tournament flyer but rather obscurley on their website. Just didn't seem right.
This is not bashing, I just want to post my concerns and maybe someone has information to contradict this...great please inform us.

Anyone who has run a tournament knows that it is an expensive adventure to run an event of any size. I have been a Tournament Director for the last several years and have come to find that just the startup cost of running our tournament runs about $12000. So if you are trying to bash the profits that come from a tournament such as this I can only say that the profits that are made go back into the tournament to make it bigger and better for the next year/tournament. As a startup tournament, yes, there are sponsors who help to pay for some of the startup cost. These sponsors expect a return on their money and with the low numbers this would not have been good for the sponsors. For instance, other national tournaments have been running for a while now, they also have sponsors, some own their own mats and scoreboards...Do the math, say 12 full mats and scoreboards at approx. $8000/mat and $1000/scoreboard, that's a lot of money. This is the level that 316 Productions aspires to be. As with most tournaments, there has to be a starting point.

The original date, unfortunately, had some major issues which affected numbers. This is the reason for pushing the date back into January. In looking at the available dates that Hartman Arena had available to use for the event, the only date in January open was Jan. 16th and 17th. The next available dates would push the tournament into February and a couple of the dates that were available were also going to have conflicts. There are many concerns regarding not only the original date, but also the new date. First with the original date, it was found that because of the length of the season, a LOT of Kansas clubs don't start practices until after Thanksgiving, so the support from our own hometown clubs was not there like it could be. Secondly with the new date, a lot of Jr. High kids will be unavailable to wrestle unless they stay in club and not wrestle for their school. (My own son plans to wrestle for his school and will not be wrestling in this tournament as well now).

In summary, with my experience I have found that you can't please some people all of the time, nor can you please all people some of the time, so we do our best and it is what it is.

Several of the concerns that have been posted are being addressed and I know the promoters desire for this event to be one that would make Kansas proud!
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 11/28/09 08:28 PM

I DONT THINK THE HOLIDAY HAD MUCH TO DO WITH THE LOW TURN OUT. IT WAS MOSTLY THE UNKNOWN WE WENT TO THE USAW WINTER NATIONALS IN DANVILLE, IL NUMBER WERE ONLY DOWN ABOUT 40 WRESTLERS. ITS NOT A HUGE TOURNEY BUT ALOT OF GOOD COMPETITION. EVERYONE IN KANSAS IS GIVING GOOD ADVICE ON BOOSTING THE NUMBERS OF THIS TOURNEY BUT SOME HAS TO LISTEN AND ADJUST. I'M SURE WHEN PARK CITY TOURNAMENT WASN'T A HUGE DEAL WHEN IT STARTED BUT NOW ITS GROWN A REPUTATION FOR BEING TOUGH.
Posted By: highcrotch

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 01/04/10 08:54 PM

Is this thing going to happen?
From the looks of it everyone is going to Winfield!!!!
Posted By: in it to win it

Re: SPRAWL NATIONALS - 01/05/10 12:39 AM

at least @ Winfield it's FREE parking and much less spectator fee. I don't understand a medal and a trophy. All the best to the event organizers.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums