Kansas Wrestling

Vision Quest at State

Posted By: allaroundwrestli

Vision Quest at State - 03/08/10 01:04 PM

If anyone has not seen the movie Visonquest, it is a really good wrestling movie. You need to check it out. Louden Swan drops 2 weight classes to take on Shoop. In this scenario Mason Turner is going up 2 weight classes to take on Steele. In my opinion that showed me Mason has guts and heart, when he told me that is what he wanted to do, I never questioned him just said let's do it.In some people's opinion this is not a wise move, but it is also preparing him for next year.Also he has already been wrestling up in age and weight, why quit now. He know's there is obstacles in the way and to take one match at a time and hopefully these two will meet up somewhere in the bracket. Perferably in the championship. To all participants in 64 , Good Luck.
Posted By: Priddy1

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/08/10 02:03 PM

Ok - I'm going to date myself on this one but ya - that movie came out when I was in high school......and I second that it was a really good movie!
Wow - what a twist - exactly how many large pizzas did Mason have for supper last night?? : ) (I love this because I've never been one for cutting weight at such a young age - at our house the motto is.....BRING IT!) I think it's awesome that Mason is challenging himself this way - he sure has the heart to get the job done. Tate Steele is a beast and this could be an awesome match in the finals!! We'll be watching for that one! Good Luck to all!!

Jordan's mom : )
Posted By: TSchreiner

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/08/10 06:18 PM

There is no doubt that District 1 has by far the toughest competitors in this weight class. Steele, Parenti, Ward, Turner, Gowin etc. The bad thing is that these would all be state placers, except that someone is going to get beat out, then someone of lesser quality will place. Someone needs to hurry up and move to another dist.lol
Posted By: BLT

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/08/10 06:34 PM

I'm pretty positive
Its Swian and SHOOT not Swan and Shoop lol
But its still the meaning of the great movie that counts right

Some nites at the begining or end of practice our boys will just all circle up
belly down
start pounding the mat
and then one just pops up and goes.
Its awesome how that movie has spand over the years
Posted By: SEKMan

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/08/10 08:05 PM

And actually I think it's "Shute", laugh but it's been a while since I've seen the movie. I was in high school myself when it came out. I been wanting to show it to my 9 year old, but wondered if it had a little too much in it for a kid that age (sex and language).

I would like to wish all the wrestlers good luck as well. Mason has been to some of our practices and he is a class act! You should be proud of him!
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/08/10 09:35 PM

GOOD LUCK TO MASON AND TATE......hope it all works out. nice to see someone going for competition, rather than hardware. we have done similar with many of the kids in our club over the years. if you don't lose, it's hard to learn anything.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/09/10 02:15 AM

Headup, you are absolutly right, it is about the competition win or lose. We didn't go into this blind , Mason know's what he is up against. Like they say it's not the size of the dog ,It is the fight in the dog.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/09/10 02:54 AM

Vision Quest was a movie about wrestling? I only remember it being about a high school kid that scores big with an older women (and she was hot to boot!). Just kidding. This was, and still is, a classic movie about a high school wrestler who busted his tail to meet his goal. I rented it last year to watch with my son before the State tournament.

Plot

In this coming-of-age story, Louden Swain (Modine) is a high school wrestler who has just turned eighteen and decided that he needs to do something truly meaningful in his life. Against the wishes of those around him, he embarks on a mission to drop two weight classes in order to challenge the toughest opponent, Brian Shute (Frank Jasper)—a menacing 3-time state champion from nearby rival Hoover High School, who has never been defeated in his high school career. In his zeal to drop from 190 pounds to 168 pounds, against the wishes of his coach (Charles Hallahan) and teammates, he disrupts the team around him and creates health problems of his own. (Wikipedia)

If you haven't seen this movie, you need to.
Posted By: in it to win it

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/09/10 03:17 AM

Ahhhhh and the music that accompanies the movie is still getting played in Warm-Ups at most colleges!

One of the better ones and such a classic played by a non-wrestler (Modine) as an actor that really does a pretty decent job. Keep in mind it was a rather low budget movie---but such a classic!

Best of luck to such a tough bracket in District 1! It'll be great to watch every single match @ 10 U 64!

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/09/10 04:14 AM

To put it this way...
It was so long ago that Madonna is paying as an extra singing in a bar...
lol
Posted By: snewy103

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/09/10 04:19 AM

they are remaking this movie..its going to have the actor from twilight in it
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/09/10 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: snewy103
they are remaking this movie..its going to have the actor from twilight in it

And as BLT pointed out, it has been so long ago that Madonna will probably still be in the movie as an extra singing in a bar. She is probably at that point in her career she could use a little public exposure and some spending cash.
Posted By: in it to win it

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/09/10 05:21 PM

Could she pass as an actress playing the "down & out" female?
Posted By: TCB75

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 02:00 AM

Parenti moved upto 67lbs for subs. Speculation is they're running from that super tough 64lb bracket.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: TCB75
Parenti moved upto 67lbs for subs. Speculation is they're running from that super tough 64lb bracket.

WOW...If you are going to say something that ignorant, post your name. Are you seriousely calling out a 10 year old kid?
Shame on you!!!!!
Posted By: OMMCP

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 12:20 PM

Parenti can't make weight at 64, would have loved the challenge.
67 has great wrestlers in it as well.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 04:06 PM

Just wondering why you would have Mason go up two weight classes to wrestle Steele, when it seems like 61 lbs at Salina proved to be enough. One more thing, Gowin at subs should not be overlooked, this kid hasn't been recognized enough imo, and he is a beast.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 05:20 PM

If you seen my earlier post, we didn't go in to this blind. No one is being overlooked. That is the beauty of it wrestling good kid's back to back. My question is why is there a problem with him going 64? Tell me what you think? Mason shouldn't be at 64. Is the idea of a kid from a 58 weight pound class coming to 64 put a black eye on 64, are you saying he isn't good enough ?Regardless he is still 64, win or lose. Just because traditionally everyone goes back a weight class, we didn't. We are here to wrestle. Park city was enough also. I know Gowin and Steele wasn't there along with many more who wasn't. Look at it this way everyone in 64 is starting out with an advantage.
Posted By: OMMCP

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 05:20 PM

Gowin is the best cross body wrestler I have ever seen at this age. He is better at that ride than most high schoolers, I would not count him out to take it all.
Posted By: Benelli

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 05:43 PM

Hasn't Turner been at 61-64 most of the year?? So it isn't like he is just recently moving up to wrestle a certain kid.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 05:47 PM

Yes, he has been wrestling 60-64 all year.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 05:57 PM

Ok, you asked. In my opinion just like boxing, you win the belt at each weight class then move up. You need the belt at 61 lbs. first, and since you guys didn't win in Salina, I would think that you would want to avenge that loss first. Unless you are thinking that maybe 64 is not as competitive. Honestly I don't care what you do, and I think Mason is one of the best kids wrestlers that i have seen.
Mason or his dad does not have to look for respect, the whole wrestling community knows that he has already earned it.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 06:06 PM

To answer your question, Mason doesn't have to avenge that lose. Mason has already beat Boo at State and this year at Tulsa the week before Salina in the finals. We are thinking 64 is competitive also. We want to go up and stick our feet in the water and see how hot it is. Thank you for your honest opinion, I don't like when people beat around the bush. Keep it real, cause i'm gonna keep it real.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 06:47 PM

Mason is a good wrestler that is a threat and a few different weight classes. He has chose a class that he feels is competitive and that he will do good in. I don't understand what all the hype is about. Its no big deal. Mr. Turner has made the choice where his son will wrestle and now he has to defend it every hour or so. Maybe he just needs to hire Don King to promote his son so he can focus on coaching.

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 06:54 PM

I already called him, but he was busy on the other line talking to Mike Tyson trying to talk him in to a come back. LOL
Posted By: 14workn

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 07:02 PM

Thank you for the kind words OMMCP and TSchreiner about Dylan.

Dylan is looking forward to the competition.

These KIDS are ALL great competitiors! GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Melissa Gowin
Posted By: stick'em

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 08:30 PM

Gonna be some great watching......
Posted By: GNR

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 10:09 PM

Well Heres Some Research Material!! Better Get By This Mat On The 27th and 28th!!
Competitors Wins over kids at this weight!
Steele-State Champ!!--Ward,Murray,Leizler,Meditz,Rairden
Turner-State Champ!!--Stuart,Rairden
Gowin-State Placer--Ward,Murray,Casteel,Shroeder
Shroeder-State Placer--Ward,Stuart,Jacoby,Flores,Rairden
Stuart-State Placer--Ward,Shroeder,Jacoby,Rairden,Murray
Leizler,Gentzler
Genzler-State Placer--Jacoby,Flores
Jacoby-State Placer--Stuart,Shroeder,Casteel
Rairden-State Placer--Ward,Stuart,Shroeder,Jacoby,Gentzler,meditz
Casteel,Leizler,Murray,Constable-
Terrill-State Placer--Flores
Ward-State Qualifier--Steele,Rairden
Leisler-State Qualifier--Murray
Casteel-State Qualifier--Terrill
Meditz-State Placer
Flores-State Qualifier
Constable-State Qualifier

Lots of meetings, lots of back and forth!
Should be fun to watch!
Posted By: Team*Lautt

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 10:21 PM

While I was reading this chain I could hear Red Rider's song "Lunatic Fringe" playing in the background!! Still gets me jacked up 20+ years later!!

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 10:30 PM

These boys are gonna be bringing it!!!

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 10:31 PM

lol it's "Lunatic Friends" I think..
Posted By: Team*Lautt

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 10:33 PM

google it ... played the tape until it broke ... it's fringe
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/10/10 10:41 PM

it's lunatic fringe, i won a trivia contest on that song, and got some awesome aerosmith tickets. good luck to all.
Posted By: S McFee

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/11/10 01:24 PM

a couple months ago there was a thread listing all the songs people wanted played at state during warmups. I cant find it now (I know, age has its benefits too) can someone point me in the right direction?

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/11/10 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: GNR
Well Heres Some Research Material!! Better Get By This Mat On The 27th and 28th!!
Competitors Wins over kids at this weight!
Steele-State Champ!!--Ward,Murray,Leizler,Meditz,Rairden
Turner-State Champ!!--Stuart,Rairden
Gowin-State Placer--Ward,Murray,Casteel,Shroeder
Shroeder-State Placer--Ward,Stuart,Jacoby,Flores,Rairden
Stuart-State Placer--Ward,Shroeder,Jacoby,Rairden,Murray
Leizler,Gentzler
Genzler-State Placer--Jacoby,Flores
Jacoby-State Placer--Stuart,Shroeder,Casteel
Rairden-State Placer--Ward,Stuart,Shroeder,Jacoby,Gentzler,meditz
Casteel,Leizler,Murray,Constable-
Terrill-State Placer--Flores
Ward-State Qualifier--Steele,Rairden
Leisler-State Qualifier--Murray
Casteel-State Qualifier--Terrill
Meditz-State Placer
Flores-State Qualifier
Constable-State Qualifier

Lots of meetings, lots of back and forth!
Should be fun to watch!

This is going to be a great weight to watch!
Its is honestly anyones game. Everyone has beat someone who has beat someone who beat that kid and then you throw in the Turner wild card!
Everyone of these kids needs to Bring it ALL or Stay Home!

Re: Vision Quest at State - 03/11/10 02:28 PM

To add to your list, Tate Steele beat Gowin at Salina, it was one heck of a match.
Posted By: kidswrestling

Re: Vision Quest at State - 04/01/10 10:09 PM

Too bad the best kid in this group and #1 seed was watching from the sideline. Without the injury Dylan Gowin would have walked through this bracket and would be the 10un 64 Champ. All the other kids were pretty close and any of them on a good day could slide in for the win.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Vision Quest at State - 04/01/10 11:41 PM

You are an A$$!! To take away from the accomplishments of all the other 10 year old wresters is truly pathetic. It is too bad what happened to Dylan, but injuries do happen and the rest of the group has to keep wrestling. When calling out a 10 year old have the nerve to sign your name. I would like to at least know who you are so I am not polite to you. Congratulations to Tate, Mason, Paul and all of the other placers.

Chad Beeson
Posted By: CGalloway

Re: Vision Quest at State - 04/02/10 12:23 AM

Yes it is unfortunate what happened to Dylan. But don't take away from what these other kids have accomplished. They all worked extremely hard to place and nobody should take anything away from them. This was a TOUGH bracket, so many matches came down to 1 point or went in to OT. You could wrestle this bracket 5 times and get 5 completely different results. Congrats to everyone who placed. You earned it!!
Posted By: Travis Phippen

Re: Vision Quest at State - 04/02/10 01:03 PM

As Dylan's coach I don't feel he would have walked through anything. These kids have all traded wins and losses this season. They are all a great group of kids, very unfortunate what happened, but it is what it is and Tate did a fantastic job in a tough bracket. Dylan is game and will be back next year. Give kudos to the kid that won it. There is always plenty of what ifs, and should have beens in tournaments, but at the end what happens happens. GREAT JOB TATE!!!
Posted By: 14workn

Re: Vision Quest at State - 04/02/10 02:01 PM

It is very unfortunate what happened to Dylan but we all know injuries can happen. I also wanted to say that the bracket wasn't a cake walk for anyone in it. All of the boys worked hard to be there. As Coach Phippen stated above the kids have all traded wins and losses this season! Tate is 10U 64lbs State Champion and he should be recognized for that and it should be left at that. Dylan will be back next year. Congrats to Tate and all of the other wrestlers who worked very hard!!! See you next year!

Melissa Gowin
Posted By: RJSteele

Re: Vision Quest at State - 04/02/10 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the comments and compliments, Tate is on top of the world with his win. With this group of 16 kids.....WOW there were some kids who did not place who were feared in this bracket.

Bob Steele

Re: Vision Quest at State - 04/04/10 02:24 AM

First of all congratulations Tate, I talked to his parent's after that match and it is what it is and Tate won. I enjoyed talking to the Steele's after the match. As far as Dylan is concerned no one want's to see a child hurt and we hope he make's a fast recovery. This whole bracket was tough and not 1 kid would have walked.(kidswrestling) But if you are trying to disrespect my son Mason , you better look up the fact's before you start running your mouth. Mason knew what he was getting into before State came around. From 58- 67 Mason can handle his self. There is next year and I am extremly proud of Mason and wasn't even disappointed when he lost. You can now move on.Thanks Chad for coming to all the kid's defense.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums