Kansas Wrestling

Districts need to be redone

Posted By: sekjrcometscoach

Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 06:14 AM

Here are the numbers as listed on track wrestling. Hopefully the powers that be can even these out a little bit in the near future.

D1N - 568
D1S - 619
D1 Total - 1187

D2N - 551
D2S - 453
D2 Total - 1004

D3E - 415
D3W - 460
D3 Total - 875

D4N - 426
D4S - 463
D4 Total - 889
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 06:59 AM

i don't know that they seperate district by number of wrestlers alone. I always thought it was geographic. District 1 and 2 are bigger population wise and i don't know how you can change it.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 07:42 AM

50% of the population of Kansas resides from a line just west of Topeka east.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 10:14 AM

No it was done by numbers alone. We can't change the numbers until we convince the people in D1 that they need changing. They keep voting it down and they have the votes.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 10:37 AM

strength in numbers. What are the benefits of changing. Chang we ship all JOCO clubs out to district 4 or Missouri?
Posted By: Tom Richard

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:29 PM

it would be great if we could balance the numbers. Any Ideas?
Posted By: luellen

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:30 PM

cokeley said to move shawnee county to dist 3 that would be a start

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:37 PM

I think moving Shawnee County is a good start. Other ideas?
Posted By: ready2wrestle

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:40 PM

That would be insane to move Shawnee County into dist.3 considering that would have Dist 3 from Russel (30 miles from Hays) to Shawnee county. Then from Concordia to Newton. That would would be about a 3 hour drive east to west and then 2.5 hours from North to south. And don't forget that it would include over to Emporia and all the way to Hutchinson. That would be a huge District (mileage wise). It may even up the numbers a bit but... it would probaly add a 100 or so more kids and increase the area covered quite a bit.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:43 PM

I see your point. Any ideas on how to even the numbers?

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:44 PM

help me to understand what distance has to do with this???
Posted By: 68Miller

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:47 PM

$$$$. Were already far enough that we are needing to get motels for subs, districts and State. Wouldn't HAVE to for subs and District but would have to leave home by 5 or 5:30 am to safely make weigh-in, and take the chance of a flat or hitting a deer then missing weigh-in. JMO The facilities in for our subs in Lindsborg are worth the drive, Mac too.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:48 PM

District 4 is bigger than that right now, and they aren't complaining.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:50 PM

People want the numbers to even out, but no one wants to move into another district to do so.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:52 PM

Is parity in numbers a concern at Subs? I would like to know what everyone thinks.
Posted By: J. Dale

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:55 PM

district 2 is still the toughest.
Posted By: ready2wrestle

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 03:55 PM

I guess the point that I was trying to make was that if you live in Russel and drive to Lindsborg for subs and you drove 1.5 hours for that and then the next week you had to go to Shawnne County or even Emporia and you dive 2.5-3 hours for districts and then turn around and go to state and drive another 3 hours. That is minimum of 6.5 hours of driving and 3 motel rooms it can get costly to have that many miles within your district. If you live in th middle of the district or near state for state weekend it helps the cost but dont forget the ones who drive along way every weekend of March. And for what 100 more kids in Dist 3. It was just something to think about. I don't want to start a fight but I was just giving you an opinion.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 04:00 PM

at 12u 105 dist 1 we have
1 Tyler Harris
2 Allen clothier
3 sam carver
4 jaymez turner
5 mason ray
6 isaac luellen
7 garret dunlap
Only 4 will make it to state. This is a MUCH tougher bracket by far than any other district. Put any of these wrestlers in any other district & they will Qualify for state. IMO not fair. Its a great district bracket. We will wrestle it & not complain about the outcome but the districts are not close to being balanced.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 04:01 PM

Is Parity in numbers important at subs? If not, we need to leave it the same.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 04:06 PM

yes its important to have the district numbers as close to the same as possible. Its not fair to the dist 1&2,. THEY ARE HARDER TO QUALIFY FOR STATE.
Posted By: Benelli

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 04:30 PM

Fair? Who told you everything had to be fair?

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 05:19 PM

thats a good point now lets wrestle!! smile
Posted By: JCook

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 05:32 PM

That is a tough bracket!!

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: luellen
at 12u 105 dist 1 we have
1 Tyler Harris
2 Allen clothier
3 sam carver
4 jaymez turner
5 mason ray
6 isaac luellen
7 garret dunlap
Only 4 will make it to state. This is a MUCH tougher bracket by far than any other district. Put any of these wrestlers in any other district & they will Qualify for state. IMO not fair. Its a great district bracket. We will wrestle it & not complain about the outcome but the districts are not close to being balanced.

Given D1's history, I feel confident they will find a way to get all of those kids in a bracket at state.
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 07:27 PM

Hey SF02 ... give it a break! There are few people that know what you are referencing!!
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: J. Dale

I hope this is something a kid wrote and not an adult.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Paratroop

You just have to know jdale hes a dandy!!

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Paratroop

With Jerry you get a little of both.
Posted By: seksooner

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:01 PM

Shame on you jdale for having an opinion.
Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:03 PM

Jerry has been mistaken as a kid many times due to his maturity & stature. Referees definately know he is no kid as well as the coaches his kids wrestle. He defends his wrestlers like few I have seen. Jerry, do you have the green hair dye for state again this year?
Posted By: Lance J. Engel

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:15 PM

The district realignment has been visited many times in the few years I have been involved. The last time it was the executive board had it to where the numbers were closer but District 4 had to drive even further than they do now, which they were willing to do. The deciding factor at that time was that D2 and D1 didn't want it changed!!

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:17 PM

Does anyone have stats on how many state champions last year came from D1 & D2 vs. D3 & D4? My personal experience is with the lighter weights D2 & D1 owns most of that.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:28 PM

I know the State Champion Team was from D4 last year.
Posted By: Coach Prieto

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:38 PM

Greater Gold had 10 in the finals with 8 champions. Yes we brought home the team title. Will be hard to do again this year but strap them on because we are coming. Lets not get in a pointless discussion about which district is toughest let the wrestling prove it. Good luck to all...

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:48 PM

Coach Prieto, I almost thru in a disclaimer with your fine club.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 08:49 PM

No Lance, D2 has always supported the changes to make the districts even. Some of us remember what it was like for us down here, when we didn't have facilities large enough to host subs and districts, so we understand the need to even up the districts. It has been D1 that has opposed all of the suggested changes. I believe their comment the last time from the floor was "the more the merrier" or something along those lines. To my knowledge none of the proposed changes would have effected D2 one way or another, so why would we oppose them.
Posted By: J. Dale

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 09:02 PM

anytime that someone outside of district 2 wins they have cheated. except prieto. he's pretty good sometimes.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 09:04 PM

anytime that someone outside of district 2 wins they have cheated. except prieto. he's pretty good sometimes.

Posted By: n7m13c99

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 09:06 PM

Ok guys you want to talk distance out here in D4 south sub at garden city district at goodland if you live in pratt or stafford that aint no hop skip or jump it is 3 weekends 3 motels. We live where we kive and most of us can't change that so lets even out the number. Lets move from D3 Russell, Smith and Osborne county to D4. Then from D1 to D3 lets move Brown, Jackson, Shawnee, Osage Coffey counties. Then lets move from D2 to D1 wilson and montgromery counties. Kinda gives us straight lines. Not sure what that will do to the numbers.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 09:11 PM

Shawnee County kids clubs: these are rough estimates; Seaman 90 kids, Tornadoes 45, Silver Lake 45, Shawnee Heights? Blue Thunder? UMS?; well over 200 kids in Shawnee County wrestling.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: n7m13c99
Not sure what that will do to the numbers.

That's the problem, it has to be about the numbers first.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 09:44 PM

Do any of you really believe that the numbers will ever be even no. The east has more 5A and 6A schools the west more 3 2 1 A schools. So numbers will not be even they aren't in population they won't be in this. As for distance we don;t complain out here in D4 because we always drive. You know 30 to 50 miles or more for a wal-mart, same for mcdonalds , applebeas or anything else for that matter. If we want to wrestle we drive that is the way it is.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 09:47 PM

The numbers can certainly be closer than they are. I believe at the time of the last major realignment they were pretty close for several years. Then D1 discovered the sport and it exploded.
Posted By: stick'em

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 10:50 PM

Why dont D1 break off from our union!!!!!!!!!! Go join Missouri.. It would be a win win for us.. We could get state moved to the middle of the state where it's a little less driving for everybody else. Spread the revenue this big tournament produces. Let our kids wrastle and be proud of there accomplishments. Not be embarassed of there parents who sit on the internet all day and cry like sissy's. I'm wondering how many of these whiners wear dress's. Some of us don't sit in a office all day. We have cattle and land to work so we can keep ya fed good so you have the energy to complain more. I completely enjoy watching any kid from any where that is worth his grit. And I truely love watching some tough corn fed boys who show up for the love of the sport that don't complain and don't explain. I guess some of you should BRING IT not SING IT. Some of you are a embarassement of the sport. I feel sorry for your kids cause your raising another generation that wants everything handed to them, the rules always bent to serve them, and whoaa is me life is so unfair and hard. Some people need to GROW UP... some parents need to GET A LIFE and quit living through there kids.
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/12/10 10:56 PM

you certainly aren't complaining about all of d1 are you stickem?
we got cows down here too, you know. got corn fields, and wheat too. corn feed them boys too. work hard too. my momma wears a dress and probably works as hard as any. the only reason you want us to join missouri is too make it EASIER FOR YOU. now who's preparing the path? SHOW UP AND STRAP UP, CAUSE WE'RE COMING TO STATE.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/13/10 01:46 AM

o'come on Dale being the toughest wrestler in district 2 is like being the fastest reader in a class full of dyslexics. LOL

But really Quanity does not mean Quality. Its almost always been my expeirence that jon's toughest kids always do come from smaller districs. I guess I don't understand the problem. It seems the districts sizes tend to mirror the population of the area?
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/13/10 01:54 AM

I still like the idea of the Johnson County Clubs being reassigned to district 4 - the sad part is part is being reassigned to district 3 might not be that much further away for subs.
Posted By: skyajdad

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/13/10 01:56 AM

I know for a fact that my boy should have a 16 man bracket in d3. He is only wrestling a 8 man with 5 kids this weekend. It all depends on how many parents and kids want to try for state. If everyone did subs would the numbers be different and how many 8 yr olds are 6. That has to figure out on everything too. Don't cry because your kid has a thougher sub or district then someone you beat and they may make it to state and your kid wont.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/13/10 02:09 AM

Well in our bracket our subs and districts Their are 5 really good kids that I know of.. and well one won't get to state. You just know your kid put in the work and hopes to be one of them. But thats the way its suppose to be thats why we have qualifiers. The best kids go no matter if it was a 8 man or 32 man bracket the best 4 go period whats wrong with that.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/13/10 10:43 AM

D1 chooses not to break off from the Union. D1 chooses even more to not join the state of Misery. I grew up in north central Kansas (population 3,000), went to high school in south central Kansas (population 7,000), and put myself through college here in north east Kansas. I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth and I watched my dad work his tail off (at one time he drove a school bus in the morning, worked a 40 plus hour a week job during the day, and ran a bowling alley at night) to raise five kids.

One more thing, D1 covers quite a bit of territory on the eastern side of the state from north to south. Please don't try to pigeon hole D1 into the Topeka to Johnson County I70 corridor.
Posted By: Mikey

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/14/10 10:48 PM

District 1 is by far the toughest, hands down. They have the largest number of kids and the best wrestlers.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikey
District 1 is by far the toughest, hands down. They have the largest number of kids and the best wrestlers.

That's saying quite alot. District 2 is pretty darn tough all the way around, not to mention Greater Gold out of District 4 is about as well rounded club as you can get from what I've seen. Bottom line depends on age and weight. Every District has State Champions, which means at some age and weight that district is the toughest.
Posted By: windjammer

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 07:23 PM

Many might argue that district 2 is the toughest with 8 of the top 11 team scores coming from that district. I know I would.

District 1 is easy, peasy, mac and cheesy. The only reason we let you guys wrestle is because we need the Expocentre.

Posted By: BLT

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 07:34 PM

Wow
Got to love this conversation every year. lol
You just add up total number of placers from each district and you can even put a point system on it and will show you which is the toughest district in ks.
The answer is upon us.
Good Luck Everyone

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 07:34 PM

Come on guys every district has tough kids. Last year at state in one bracket first and second were from D4. So that bracket D4 was toughest. Other brackets went to other districts. We all have tough kids. As long as they are kansas kids who cares what district they are from.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:01 PM

District 1 is only good at greco roman.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: windjammer

Don't forget thumb wrestling.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

Don't forget thumb wrestling.
We also have the best mud wrestlers in the state. The dist 1 numbers need to be equal in this area also.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:24 PM

That's true, some very good thumb wrestlers come out of district one. I remember back in the 1980's there was a kid from Rossville that won the tri-state thumb war in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and went on to nationals where he lost in triple overtime to the eventual national champ. I think his name was Luellen.

A lot of people that watched the match thought that Luellen should have been awarded 2 near fall points at the end of regulation, but the ref said he had only exposed the thumbnail for a count of 1.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:30 PM

worst call i have seen in 26 yrs of competition that ref was an idiot.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:31 PM

Still, you should not have thrown your thumb gear.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:32 PM

I remember that...
The ref said sorry
ITS A JUDGEMENT CALL

that would of got him the pinky spot in the FINGER FAB FIVE thread that year but they gave it to a kid from a small western ks school that year. Funny how things always come full circle.
lol.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:51 PM

Question, do thumb wrestling referees need background checks?
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh
Question, do thumb wrestling referees need background checks?

no but coaches do.

d1 has better looking wrestling moms.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:55 PM

Finally something something we can agree on. D1 does have the best looking Women! Don't know how some of us land them.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 08:58 PM

You stunned her with a stick if I remember correctly.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 09:11 PM

District 1 girls are also the best kissers...
Well after they spit out the dip in their lip.

Sorry I had too
lol
Posted By: shawk95

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 09:29 PM

Yes, I had too much free time... smile

2009 State 10&Under

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Total Placers
District 1 - 7 3 7 8 8 6 39
District 2 - 6 9 6 3 5 6 35
District 3 - 2 2 3 4 5 3 19
District 4 - 5 6 4 5 2 5 27
Posted By: matman1976

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 10:05 PM

And what does that have to do with anything?

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: matman1976
And what does that have to do with anything?
nothing if your from dist 3 or 4.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/15/10 11:57 PM

You stunned her with a stick if I remember correctly.

I remember that, thanks for the laugh. When you guys get on a roll, not even a well fortified defensive position can keep you out. Dang it, I am going for more tree trunks, sandbags, concrete barriers, force fields and concertina wire. Look out boys, I am also emplacing more trip flares, claymores, anti-tank mines and bouncing Betties (not the burlesque type either).
Posted By: 890

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/16/10 08:18 PM

No matter what you do someone is going to complain. Why not put some floater clubs in place, I am sure that there are some clubs out there that drive quite a distance every weekend to go against the better wrestlers, that would be willing to be placed in a district as long as it meant a more balanced bracket for the kids. Maybe I am wrong maybe some of you would rather have only 2 kids in your bracket, while another district has 7 or 8. I am not sure what the answer is but I think it needs to be addressed at the next meeting.

Re: Districts need to be redone - 03/16/10 09:43 PM

That is really not necessary. You look at the numbers from the previous year and you simply move one county or more (as needed), from one district to another. That is the way it has always been done and I believe at one time we passed a motion from the floor to study or evaluate the district divisions every so many years but when D1 continued to poo poo any changes year after year, I believe the studies were scrapped.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums