Kansas Wrestling

Consistently Bad Sportsmanship

Posted By: cdzmom

Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/29/10 09:26 PM

Just wondering why there isn't anything done or said to teams that every year at state show bad sportsmanship and/or conduct. There was actually a coach that flipped off the crowd who cheered when someone from their team won a match against his team. Just one of many altercations that I witnessed over the weekend.
Posted By: goarmy

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/29/10 11:02 PM

IMO tournaments that are "invitational" should start enforcing that. Stop inviting those teams that are problems. The kids in that club are embarrassed or starting to act like their coaches. If there is a constant problem with a team and/or coaches at what point does someone hold them accountable for their actions? There are times when everyone get emotionally wrapped up in a match but when coaches flip off spectators and not shake kids hands they should be banned. I witnessed this incident, but not surprised. When you have over 10 teams boo-ing a coach 3 weeks in a row because of their conduct and have to get extra security than someone needs to step up before there is a brawl. There are many good quality clubs that those kids can go to!
Posted By: jmbsr

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:00 AM

Retract
Posted By: J. Dale

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:03 AM

If you want to call someone or some team out then at least be big enough to leave your name.
Jerry Dale
Posted By: 2coach

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:10 AM

why whats that gonna do jerry
Mike Rodriguez

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:12 AM

Retract

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:15 AM

Retract
Posted By: J Murdock

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:23 AM

"When you coach, you coach your kids to show respect and honor in this great sport..."

Does that respect and honor include booing a kid just because he wrestles for said club? Most spectators fuel this behavior with the constant booing or over enthusiastic cheering when a TOHK kid loses.
Jason Murdock

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:27 AM

Retract

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:37 AM

So you boo the kids?? Seems to me there are plenty of clubs that have coaches that act out at any given tournament. I wonder why it is people want to single out this club??? In case you want to reply with with the reason don't ,that was a rhetorical question. We all know the reason they are singled out but nobody wants to say why they really are ,do they?

Jason Murdock

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:46 AM

I did not make it this year, but in the last 6 or so times that I have been there I have heard fans cheer when a TOHK kid loses. Is it right? Heck no it's not. I think that sucks for the kid. But is it right for a coach to flip off the people in the stands, or act the way this person or people say these coaches act? Heck no it's not. It doesn't take a brain to figure out that the people aren't cheering cause the kid from HK lost, but at the coach for acting like an ass and feeling like the coach got what he deserved. And Some fans need to grow up and stop doing that cause kids hear that and that's totally uncalled for.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:51 AM

Retract

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:52 AM

So you boo the kids?? Seems to me there are plenty of clubs that have coaches that act out at any given tournament. I wonder why it is people want to single out this club??? In case you want to reply with with the reason don't ,that was a rhetorical question. We all know the reason they are singled out but nobody wants to say why they really are ,do they?

Jason Murdock
What is the reason Jason, I'm not trying to be a smart ass or start anything with the TOHK, but I would really like to know why.
Posted By: n7m13c99

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 12:01 PM

Give me a break guys I have watch the TOHK wrestle for over 20 years they have not changed one bit. My oldest remembers them better than any other team in his years in kids. He thinks of them as a team. They have heart and a fire for the sport that not every "team" does. Ran in to a few off the mat in the stands they were respectful. If they intmiated you and they know it they will use it. So no reaction is you best option. I usually chuckle when I see everyone get all worked up over them. The more you guys go crazy the better they like it. Their kids get screwed just like the rest of us. Saw one of their kids lose a match because the kid on bottom was stalling big time. But please remember first and for most this is for the kids. No matter how their coachs act you can not boo a kid every that puts you in the lowest form of wrestling fan and is uncalled for.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 12:32 PM

I would never agree to ANYONE booing a kid, no matter what team the kid wrestles for, it's not his fault. The cheering from the team I mentioned earlier was in no means "over zealous", in fact it was came from a group of women who were up in years, who probably didn't know anything about wrestling except someone from their team won. And when is it ever ok for an adult to intimidate a child.
Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 12:39 PM

Coach Knox & Coach Taylor have never been disrespectful to me, my family or our wrestlers. Quite the opposite. At weigh in at state I weighed several TOHK kids, all respectful. It's easy to focus on the negatives, as I have witnessed what some are talking about. There are positives too that get overlooked. i know one thing, when you wrestle a TOHK kid, you better bringit, you know they are going to.
Posted By: up4wrestling

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 12:46 PM

Sorry, n7m13c99, but if you boo a child and it is the lowest form ...then if you are a coach and refuse to shake a childs hand then where does that put you? I do not and will not boo a child it is not their fault that their coaches do not know how to show respect. Where respect is not shown none will be given in return..in regards to the coaches. I watched several matches where TOHK kids won and coaches would slap the opponents hand with out making eye contact or saying nice job as most coaches do. I watched while one coach from TOHK after winning a match and the opposing child was on the mat...said "Scrape him up, its time he got off of the mat"! Is that called for? I do not think so! My youngest both won and lost to a TOHK member and thankfully neither time there was no serious overtones to the match...my oldest son won in triple overtime and as he came off of the mat the crowd was booing him! That would be the TOHK parents...Please consider how your own son feels before you react...both as coaches and as a parent in the stand. The reason we go and support wrestling is for our children not for our own egos!

Kim Lovvorn
Posted By: CWB

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 01:07 PM

Sad
We cant do much about the people in the stands.But whe sure can fix the people on the mats.Giving the finger to people up in the stands is not right at all.Right at that time HE should have been booted out.He just showed all the kids he helps what is an ok manner.
When walking around the mats,I had my toes walked on 3 times.Only one time did any one NOT say sorry.But in stead acted as if I got in his way.Be for this I walked around the group,after that I walked though the middle of them.If I get no respect for people I will give no respect back.

I show my kids what is right on and off the mat.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 01:27 PM

I know as a club we have thought about putting in place a "Code of Conduct" contract for parents and coaches, just wondering why USA Wrestling could not do so for the coaches. I know there is not much you can do as far as the parents go, except on the club level.

I do not know Coach Knox personally, but know he is a very talented and well respected coach. I would think he would want his club to have the respect and integrity that he is known for.
Posted By: KANSAS PRIDE

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 01:40 PM

Which kid did they not shake hands with? What age and weight?
Posted By: wrestlemom1963

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 02:08 PM

I didn't see any THOK coaches act like this but I did see one of their wrestlers do this then right after that my son wrestled so when he lost out on placing I watched how he acted when he lost and not only did he shake his opponents hand he shook the refrees hand and the other teams coaches hand. I would like to thank the coaches of GBKWC for teaching my son this,by the way I also told my son how proud I was of him for the good sportsmanship he showed.
Brenda H
Posted By: luellen

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: cdzmom
Just wondering why there isn't anything done or said to teams that every year at state show bad sportsmanship and/or conduct. There was actually a coach that flipped off the crowd who cheered when someone from their team won a match against his team. Just one of many altercations that I witnessed over the weekend.
Did you see or hear what the people that got flipped off did? Are you saying that this coach just did this for no reason. If people cheered every time when my kids lost they would be lucky if thats all i did. I want to make clear i dont know any one from hard knox & i am giving my personal opinion. I have seen & heard what the crowd does to these kids. They cheer in excess when they lose & boo when they win. If you are one of the people doing this your the problem. I have seen hard knox coaches fight for calls in a match. What good is a coach that wont fight for calls for his wrestler?? Quit disrespecting thier werstlers & this will help. All I see is people disrespecting thier wrestlers & then complaining when they react.
Posted By: sekjrcometscoach

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 03:31 PM

I was about 4 mats away from where the match took place that the TOHK kid was booed. It sounded to me like that there was people from almost every secton of seating in the expocentre that was booing this young man. One of my coaches said to me, that is sad they way they are booing that kid, it is uncalled for. I agreed and told my coach, you know there is 14 mats here with kids wrestling on them, and whether if you like the TOHK or not there is one thing they have accomplished. When they have a kid wrestling people are watching. TOHK has a great group of very talented wrestlers and have done a great job of teaching them the sport of wrestling. As far as conduct of coaches goes, it is the responsibility of the referees and tournament officials to keep the rules and policys enforced. If they do not, then maybe the people that are not happy should talk bad about them. Just remember even if it is the coach you are booing the wrestler hears it too, and that young wrestler may feel like your booing him/her also. Now I did not see the match but I am sure that the TOHK wrestler gave 110 percent during that match because that is how that team wrestles. Isn't that what we ask from all of our kids, to give 110 percent. How can a person boo that? Again, if your not happy with the conduct of a person talk to the tournament directors and referees about keeping policies and rules inline. TOHK has produced some excellent wrestlers, keep up the good work.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 03:31 PM

If you had read my earlier post, you would have seen that I said it was never OK for ANYONE to boo a kid, so I am not "one of the people" doing this. I do understand that tensions run high this time of the year and there are definitely more emotions, but you can not justify those kind of actions by coaches or parents especially when it happens year after year. There have been coaches ejected for basically nothing, but nothing done when the actions are flagrant.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 03:37 PM

My question is---Did you see or hear what the people did that got flipped off??

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 03:42 PM

Luellen- Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that behavior was justified? from a coach that is acceptable? If so that is insane!!!!

Boo-ing kids is not good

Standing up for "bad" calls or calls you don't agree with is fine, it's how you approach it.

Surely I'm misinterpreted your statement,,after all you are quoting the psalm

Teams are going to support their wrestlers when they win so are you going to react if they clap for the wrestler that just beat your kid? There is a winner and a loser--

ridiculous
Posted By: matman1976

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 03:42 PM

Well in my two years of experience with Kansas kids wrestling, i have seen several things go on that included a TOHK coach! Last year one of thier kids lost and the coach took the winning kid and told him he just got luck and that he was supposed to lose! This year they rush the mat during a match and thier kid takes advantage of it and scores , because the columbus kid thought he had won ! then the coach had the balls to call the kid a slimmy SOB! And yes i was also sitting in the area that got flipped off! These are just a few examples of thier actions now tell me why anyone in thier right mind would have any respect for these so called coaches ?

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 03:45 PM

To answer your question..I did not see the whole match, I was standing just outside a doorway when the coach flipped the crowd off. If the crowd was booing or whatever they should be ashamed of themselves too.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: goarmy
Luellen- Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that behavior was justified? from a coach that is acceptable? If so that is insane!!!!

Boo-ing kids is not good

Standing up for "bad" calls or calls you don't agree with is fine, it's how you approach it.

Teams are going to support their wrestlers when they win so are you going to react if they clap for the wrestler that just beat your kid? There is a winner and a loser--

ridiculous
I am saying i will protect & fight for my family & that you can count on. You expect hard knox coaches to be your door mat? Because I am a christian dont mean I have to submit to ignorant punks screaming at my kids!!! What i have seen & heard the disrespect from the stands against these kids is WRONG & needs to stop. This is the point i am trying to make.
Posted By: A. Steele

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:41 PM

One of my boys wrestled a TOHK wrestler all season last year during GR/FS season. At regionals on of the TOHN coaches came and found my wrester and had a very respectful talk with him. My wrestler beat the TOHK wrestler for the first time that year. Both the wrestler and the coaches were very respectful and the two wrestlers even walked away from the mat talking and hanging out. From that point on my wrestler will go out of his way to say "hi" and talk to the TOHK coaches. I don't think you can judge the whole team by the actions from one or two members of the club. IMO TOHK always has some very good wrestlers and the wrestle with alot of heart and emotion. I wish some of my wrestler would wrestle with the amount of heart and emotion.

There were many other coaches getting upset, using foul language and getting in the refs faces and being disrespectful. If you are going to call out people for poor behavior then call them all out. I'm sure my name would bbe put out there a few times. Or even better don't call anyone out in a public forum. Follow the rule my parents beat into me 30+ years ago "treat others the way you want to be treated" I'm sure the way the TOHK wrestlers were treated is not how any coach or parent wants there wrestler treated.

Andrew Steele
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: luellen
Originally Posted By: goarmy

Boo-ing kids is not good

ridiculous
I am saying i will protect & fight for my family & that you can count on. You expect hard knox coaches to be your door mat? Because I am a christian dont mean I have to submit to ignorant punks screaming at my kids!!! What i have seen & heard the disrespect from the stands against these kids is WRONG & needs to stop. This is the point i am trying to make.

I agree with Mike Booing my kid or one of the kids we coach which is wrong and you can count on the fact that the Fight will be brought directly to your front door Everyone knocks the TOHK but you cannot argue with the fact that they always bring quality wrestlers with great technique period. And like I say its easy to hate kids and clubs you can't beat. And aggrisive always gets confused with dirty when you know wrestling. no I don't agree with the TOHK antics But booing any KID is wrong.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 04:58 PM

quality coaches definitely
unprofessional coaches typically but experienced coaches definitely!
Sorry if it seemed like I was "hating" on the wrestlers, not my intentions - we beat them so I don't feel like it's a matter of winning or losing, it's a matter of conduct.

Defending your family is understandable
After all I did defend this country for 7 years
Showing up on a doorstep, possible
So if you see a 5 ft 2 in female in combat boots and BDU's,run the other way , lol

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 05:21 PM

cdzmom we do have a code of conduct that our wrestlers,parents and coaches sign every year. If the kids aren't big enough to read it is read to them. They are ask if they understand what is being read to them. We hold them to it we have a committee that they have to answer to if they should get out of line. Punshiment could be anywhere from not getting to practice, not getting to attend a tournament. One thing they always have to do is make an apology to whom ever it is. That includes other clubs coaches or kids and our coaches and kids have gotten an apology from our kids.
Posted By: A. Steele

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 06:19 PM

goamry -- I agree the quality of the TOHK wrestlers and coaches is very good. I also don't think all the coaches are unprofessional. My kids have wrestled against them numerous time and only one or two bad experiences. I can say the same for a lot of other teams. Don't knock the whole team for the behavior of select individuals.

Andrew Steele
Posted By: Coach Prieto

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 06:22 PM

Why are they singled out? 1. Because they are winners on the mat. I have nothing but the upmost respect for Coach Knox. He has done a tremedous job with young people in this sport. Yes, I think that some of the behaviors and actions can be better controlled but I feel every club is guilty of displaying some sort of poor behavior at one point in time. I've witnessed poor behavior by parent/coaches after their own kids have lost. I've witnessed parent/coaches grabbing their kids after losses that would constitute physical abuse. I'm not calling anyone out but before we start talking about just one club lets be honest; some parent/coaches are just as guilty. Some behaviors toward kids that I have witnessed through out my wrestling travels to various kids tournaments are very appalling. In fact I was speaking with someone this past weekend about how their son was disrespected by another coach after a match. Finally, why are they signaled out? 2. Because of their race. There, I said it let the bashing begin.
Here is my info. to show I don't hide from what I say.....
Carlos Prieto
620-271-2668 cell
Address: 107 Oldweiler Holcomb, Kansas 67851
Posted By: Jeremy Molloy

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 06:32 PM

Pulling the race card is a bunch of CRAP the reason is because of some, not all of the coaches and parents, that simple. They are disrespectful and dont deserve respect back plain and simple. I agree people shouldnt be booing kids that is also crap but I have been around TOHK for 26 years and they have always had coaches and parents that cause problems. I said it its that simple so leave the race card in your pocket.
Posted By: BLT

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 06:43 PM

This is my favorite thread every year! lol

And every year I get on here and talk crap on TOHK.
There is not alot of love loss between me and some of them.
BUT I will say that this year was the best I have ever seen them act.
I think the TOHK chants from the stands is an awesome sign of team spirit!
Even though I have always had a problem with the way some of their coaches have acted I have ALWAYS respected the talent that club has to offer.
Maybe they just have worn me down over the years but I even tried to extend an olive branch this year and it was recieved (I HOPE). It did cost me $4 and it was a K State air freshener but hey its a start! LOL!

But there is one point I will make. There is a Coach Knox out there that has made a HUGE impact on his club and that I have the HIGHEST respect for.
Thats Coach Knox from Chapperal!!!!
Same FIRE!
Same DESIRE!
But the way he acts and treats others puts him on a whole new level.
Maybe The teachers could take a lesson from the former student about behavior and earning and giving respect!
Posted By: up4wrestling

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 06:54 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that the coaches for TOHK aren't good coaches and no one is saying the kids are quality wrestlers.
I am just saying you don't have to rant and rave and be disrespectful to be a good coach. I have not put down the wrestling ability of any of the TOHK wrestlers and I am not saying that all of the coaches are disrespectful. I personally had a nice chat with their head coach on the side while we were both watching matches. Decent guy polite and friendly. He even mentioned to my husband in a conversation on Sunday after learning that both our boys would be wrestling his wrestlers.."maybe you should be wrestling for TOHK". Thanks but no thanks.... IF my husband or any of our coaches was to act the way that his coaches act their butts would be getting tossed out of tournaments right and left. I have witnessed at every tournament we go to the atmosphere around a match invoving the TOHK coaches (not kids COACHES). My husband is vocal and will argue any point he deems necessary to win a match! But there is a point where you have to draw the line...My husband and all of the other coaches for our club ALWAYS shake the other kids hand and offer words of encouragement or a slap on the back..win or lose! They will not allow one of our wrestlers to get away with displaying bad sportsmanship. They are great coaches and we have a great club with a lot of talented wrestlers! There are no other teams that behave this way to this degree. If you know of any please let me know. I am not saying that there are not individual coaches that act wrong...I have witnessed several along with parents in the stands from other clubs. But I don't see it time and again tournament after tournament! You do not have to act that way to have a great wrestling team! Their wrestlers are good and we know we'll get a good match when we meet up with them. I am not knocking the kids at all. I am not saying the coaches don't do their jobs in the practice room! They just need to clean up their act on the mats! And race has nothing to do with it.

Kim Lovvorn

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 07:19 PM

Are you kidding me???
you pulled the race card coach prieto??
I am hysterically laughing

Don't pull the race card and come up with that is the reason coaches are being singled out, if control yourself than congratulations- that is what we expect from a coach
There are several clubs that have wrestlers of every race. Next what will it be??? because some coaches have hair an others don't?? Call the NCAACP and see if this is a racial thing, it's not
Its about behavior not skin color--
oh btw i have a multi-racial family!
I don't think anyone questioned the job that Coach Knox has done
Posted By: coachtmac29

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 07:41 PM

i think what really needs to be addressed is the definition of sportsmanship. i want my wrestlers to take a loss like a man, but some teams it seems gets to comfortable with the idea of losing. to me you should coach your kids to win. nobody has fun losing, and if they are in wrestling for that they are in the wrong sport.

as for knocking the wichita west kids club, you guys need to take a look at them a little closer. when i see coach knox's kids club i see nothing but good things. ya they are aggressive, its a physical sport though. i see a group of coaches that dedicated there lives to helping kids that would maybe be nothing in life, perform at the highest level in the sport of wrestling. you critics say there coaches are disresptful but if you went to freestyle and greco tournaments ten years ago you seen danny deshazer, coach knox, coach taylor and others supporting team ks in the same aspect as you see them pushing tohk kids at the kansas state tournament. you critics should go talk to the coaches from tohk some time. talk to them about wrestling and general, keep an open mind and see if you dont come out of that meeting with them with different ideas!
Posted By: Jeremy Molloy

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 08:00 PM

I have coached with Coach Knox during freestyle and greco,only one season, it is completely different then the regular season. I am not knocking what coach Knox does for the kids or their talent just the way some of his coaches and parents act. He does great things for kids that probably wouldnt have a chance to do well in life that is great for them and him.
Posted By: doug747

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 10:04 PM

If you are implying that bald coaches are somehow "lesser qualified", I will have my personal hairstylist/bodyguard Jerry Dale open the can of whooopa$$ on ya!!!!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 10:36 PM

Jerry, call me & I will bring a can next time I am down that way. They dont sell it in dist 2.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: CRB
Sad
We cant do much about the people in the stands.But whe sure can fix the people on the mats.Giving the finger to people up in the stands is not right at all.Right at that time HE should have been booted out.He just showed all the kids he helps what is an ok manner.
When walking around the mats,I had my toes walked on 3 times.Only one time did any one NOT say sorry.But in stead acted as if I got in his way.Be for this I walked around the group,after that I walked though the middle of them.If I get no respect for people I will give no respect back.

I show my kids what is right on and off the mat.

I am trying to figure out why you were even in the building. Showing the kids to take responsiblity?
Posted By: Lucas Baker

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 10:40 PM

I was reading all this and came up with a few questions. Ten years ago there was a Kid by the Name of Thomas Rhodes we all new him as T-BONE from TOHKs. He was a great wrestler but had no control of himself. As a 4th grader in a Camp at Ark City he told a coach that if he did not shut up he was going to kick his @$$ He was a 4th grader!!! I was just wondering what happen to him I never heard about him in High School and he was damn good in kids?
I remember T-bone walking out to the mat to shake the kids hand during the parade of champions with dark black sunglasses on. When the other kid put his hand out T-bone pulled his back and did the two hands to the crotch that was a popular pro wrestling taunt at the time. That was ten years ago funny how some things never change!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 10:44 PM

Are there Drug testing rules for Coaches, cuz the White Cadillac with gold rims in the parking lot smelled a little funny.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Lucas Baker
Are there Drug testing rules for Coaches, cuz the White Cadillac with gold rims in the parking lot smelled a little funny.

Lucas, there are times I think, you should probably think, before you write down what you think.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 11:16 PM

Why!!!! Its the truth?

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 11:23 PM

I did think!!!! I came up with this. If my Kids wrestling coaches were smoking pot in the parking lot of the state tournament I would like to know!!!! I hope you would too!!! Sorry if you cant handle the truth!!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 11:30 PM

I did think!!!! I came up with this. If my Kids wrestling coaches were smoking pot in the parking lot of the state tournament I would like to know!!!! I hope you would too!!! Sorry if you cant handle the truth!!

Oh, my bad. I didn't get the part where you were actually accusing or insinuating (take you pick) some club's wrestling coaches with partaking of the herb in the parking lot. I thought you meant you walked by a car and smelled something funny. I didn't know how that pertained to this thread.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 11:32 PM

If there were coaches in the parking lot smoking grass, then yes, I would not agree with what they were doing.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/30/10 11:50 PM

When 5 of the top 7 teams at state were from district 2 it looks to me like they sell all kinds of those cans.
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: J. Dale
If you want to call someone or some team out then at least be big enough to leave your name.
Jerry Dale

i think even better would be to send a pm. why do it on the forum? last year i had issue with a situation, and sent coach knox a pm. worked it out just fine.

the R E S P E C T thing is a two way street. if you boo, you get flipped off, both are over the top, neither is respectful.

if you step on someones toes, say excuse me, if they forget their manners, remind them in a polite way.

if you don't like them, don't watch.

if they sell cans of whoopa$$ in d2, they must bottle it in SEK, cause there is a much smaller population, yet still good team scores.

if you don't like white cadillacs smellin' like dope, don't stick your head in them.
seriously kids SAY NO TO DRUGS.

if you add up all the success stories and failures FROM ALL CLUBS/SCHOOLS i think you will be suprised at the outcome.

if you don't like TOHK, WORK HARD, WRESTLE HARDER, CAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BEAT 'EM.

seriously i saw plenty of poor sportsmanship, and none of it came from tohk this weekend. not saying they didn't act poorly, i just didn't see it. but i saw it from alot of other clubs. i guess i have alot of pm's to send. i'll start with....................

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:00 AM

please please let it be me.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:02 AM

I don't think its about not liking the kids that wrestle for the team of hard knocks, I believe its about how the coaches acted that are making people mad. Like I said I was not there so I cant say much, but please don't make it about the kids everyone knows that all them kids wrestle hard but what kid there doesn't? And to make it a race issue that's dumb, Carlos I know you, my kids love you and Martin as coaches but come on man it's not cause they're black or good. It is cause some coaches act bad, are they the only ones, heck no, in the years that I have been there it has been a lot of other coaches of all races. But they must go further then others and to flip the fans off WOW just think how many little kids were up there that seen that. As a former coach if someone booed my boys I would try to look up and see who they were and find them later.
Posted By: tfamilywrestlers

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:26 AM

We have been around for 2yrs now & I can say what I have seen with this team is not sportsmanship. they crowd around the mat so no one can see the matches & there is no reason for this. I have seen for my self where they have purposely chocked the kids out where they are not breathing there were 3 in district and this is not the 1st time. This is not sportsmanship. not to mention they also with have their kids hurt the others on purpose just to win, this is not sportsmanship. They like to also take it to the high school team which they farm the team from TOHX where there was a parent who told their kid off their hts hs team to rip a girls arm off becuz he wasn't winning & purposely hurt another girl just becuz they could then got mad becuz she was given the match. I have seen TOHX go around the tourney's like they own the place and almost always are standing in the way so you can not watch a match. from what I have also seen is that they also seem to have some officials in their pockets. Which is another issue all in itself. I thought that this was about technique & sportsmanship and that is what we are teaching our kids no matter what team they are on. I have seen this with this team the past couple years & it is getting old & the sad part is that those who need to know do as they are also sitting on the boards of just about every part of the usa wrestling if you look at who are the board members and such. So it would do no good to say anything any way. they just laugh us off like they are now. I am very seriously double thinking the whole wrestling deal with my kids. the officials allow this bad behavior from this team and I have seen a couple where they have stopped matches before the kids have gotten hurt then I have seen them like district where they allow the injuries due to whom the teams are. which is not right. the other thing is they like to run off the mat so they can collect points they try to make it look like the other team is doing it. the officials don't call it either. I was sitting in the stands when CHARLES KNOX told his wrestler you are up holding your family name & honor you do what you have to, to make it up & win this next match that is when they chocked the kid out to the point he had passed out. that is just plain wrong. no to mention the intentional headbutting to try to win a match then have the parents sit there & say the kid is a bleeder. are you kidding me.

Yes I have gotten to know the kids from the TOHX & HTS & they are nothing like what I have seen or heard from the parents or coaches. which is very sad. this is not about them behaving as a team if that is what you consider being a team no thanks.

the behavior of some of the parents & coaches remind me of gang behaviors or thugs!! really that is not what I want my kid to learn or to teach them dirty tricks and bring in someone that knows martial arts to teach them tricks so they can get away with not have a ref call them on it & giving it to the other team who is wrestling fair.

yes this is a very soar subject with me and this is not the only team I have seen act this way but this is the main one I have seen.

there is nothing wrong with dedication and lots of hard work from a team to learn technique and SPORTSMANSHIP

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:34 AM

I like that idea!!!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:37 AM

Retract

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:54 AM

they want to quote scripture but what I see is not christen behavior from the parents or the coaches. I should say not all the parents behave like that either. What I have seen is pretty sad behaviors from adults that are suppose to be TEACHING the kids SPORTSMANSHIP and RESPECT! I have had parents both for the hts hs & TOHX come up and talk to us and our children who have been very respectful & polite. I am not saying that all of them behave in this manner. but there are enough that do and make a bad name/reputation for the teams.

we have practiced with GODDARD a few times & am impressed with what I have seen out there.

I think we also tend to forget that this is also about fun for the kids. Some parents need to learn to not take it so serious too. there is a parent that is so loud she is louder then anyone that is doing the announcing on the microphone. that is also very rude.

no it is not right to boo a kid but it is more the coaches behaviors which should not be taken out on the kids. They should not be allowed to barricaid the mat either.

I like the contract for the kids that is a really good idea. making them write an apology to the team/wrestler.
Posted By: popeye

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 03:31 AM

What I witnessed was not booing but cheering. If I remember it was mat 12, a backside elimination match between a TOHK and Hutchinson wrestler. The Hutch wrestler came from behind late in the match to win a exciting match. The large group of Hutchinson fans were seated behind mat 12(The whole group).
They cheered when the Hutch wrestler reversed the TOHK wrestler to his back as time was running down to win the match.
I did not witness any booing till after the match was over and the wrestlers left the mat. I did see the coach motion the section(Dont know if he fliped the finger) and walk away. I dont think anyone in this case was rooting against the TOHK wrestler but rooting on the Hutch wrestler. Any booing came after the match was over.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 03:55 AM

doug, 1st congrats on your great team

I got word from Tony B to give you a hard time last year and though it would be perfect timing considering the thread.
your hair is fine lol as long as there is no comb overs smile
Tony knows where I live and I have plenty cans of whip ***
with your name on it grin

Dawn

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 03:58 AM

Ok guys how about this we can agree to disagree. You either like TOHK or you don't but this is getting ugly and kinda personal. They have acted this way for years. Every tournament has a lady that is louder than anyone or anything else. One tournament I thougth we had a scheeching owl in the building and I was across the gym from her can only imagaine what it was like next to her and no she wasn't from TOHK. I think every district has a club that the other clubs have problems with. I also would like to know about T-Bone aka Thomas Rhodes he was a great little wrestler. Had attitude but my son like hanging out with him after matches never had a problem with him. First time I went to state the club everyone was all over was Wichita wrestling club they were the bad guys 20 years ago in Salina.
Posted By: Coach Knox 61

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 04:36 AM

Popeye the booing came from the Northwest corner, most of them was in orange/red and black and probably was a cary over from a match we had with them in semis the night before. I am bad some time but I am good a lot of the time. So are a lot of you ( good and bad). I do remenber getting push form the back and I did grab this guy by his elbow and said Iam sorry about that. It is fustrating to see that if our guys are not very aggressive that we get called for stalling so I tell our guys if we are not aggressive that most likely we will get called for stalling. Yes that coach from Anthony I trained at one time or another. One of my peers once said to me Your tohk are sore losers and I replied we don't lose very much so we don't know how to lose. He said then you don't know how to wrestle yet. That meant alot to me so I am working on that end of it with the all areas of tohk and myself . Yes some of our wrestlers didn't make it to the next level ( Champions in the sport of wrestling and in their communties) but many of them did. I've got a book that lets you know more about the mission of Charles Knox and wrestling If you like to purchase one let me know. Jeremy since you respond on some one playing the race card well guess what, you played the race card CarD. There are a few who don't like us because of our color and then there are more who don't like us cause we beat their kids and there are a few who don't like us because of our behavior and there more who like us because we are humans too.. And as far as boycotting us from your tournaments some of you already do. This done by not attending our tournament. Jeremy could you image what we could do with the funds you guys have? To bad no one made a post about being greedy.To the lady that heard me cuss that is something many people who know me don't hear much. I am sure I didn't use any profanity this weekend. I wanted to comment on some of these post that I thought was meant to belittle (spelling) me or our club. And those of you who said some postive things about us (most of it is true) THANK YOU. A Wrestling team, Coaching staff, TOHK, and FAMILY still working to be better at what we do.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 04:53 AM

well said coach!
How did T-bone do in high school and college?

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tfamilywrestlers
they want to quote scripture
If your talking about me I am not a member of TOHK. I was just giving a personal opinion. Michael Luellen is my name my boys wrestle for rossville WC. If you got Issues with my signature you can pm me. 785-230-3877 is my number. I still stand behind every thing i posted.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 12:07 PM

Ok. Here we go. I have sat back and watched this thread for a couple of days now and not said much. Years ago Coach Knox and I hated each other for reasons that don't matter. In the last 10 years I have watched Coach Knox and learned to respect him for what he does to teach/help/mentor kids. Do the coaches go overboard sometimes, yes. But which person on this forum posting hasn't went overboard a few times. Every coach on that team will fight for their kids if they think they are getting screwed as will I. I as a parent would rather have a coach that will stand up for a kid than just sit back and let it happen. I did see something this weekend that bothered me. It was a match between a TOHK wrestler and a kid in an orange singlet. Didn't see the whole thing but started watching it in the 3rd period and watched as the opposing wrestler charged the Knox kid and attempted to tackle him then drew the fist back. I believe this was after the match was over. Why was this kid not ejected. I'll bet if it was the other way around it would have been. I had one ejected from districts for cursing (as he should have been) If you don't like this team then ignore them, if you do like them then cheer them on. Just let this drop because this thread is getting way out of line. As for the coaches in the parking lot didn't see and could care less, just don't bitch about the coaches when you have officials that have been arrested for far worse than pot and are still allowed to ref.
Jerry Dale
Posted By: wanwan21

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:20 PM

Why did you even start this post? Talk about "bad sportsmanship", if you really have a problem--have your club director bring up concerns in one of the many meetings that all club directors attend. You better believe me when I say this, if ANYONE FROM OUR CLUB VIOLATES A RULE--THEY ARE NOT GIVEN A FREE PASS! I know your motive....I could call out several clubs on how the coaches "behave"--a couple of the powerhouses in D2, but why even go there? If you have nothing better to do than start a MOB, if you have the audacity to go there, be specific and make SURE that you know what you are talking about, and please make it current-- LaWanda DeShazer
Posted By: BLT

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: J. Dale
As for the coaches in the parking lot didn't see and could care less, just don't bitch about the coaches when you have officials that have been arrested for far worse than pot and are still allowed to ref.
Jerry Dale

Jerry
You crack me up!!! Sometimes I think you sit and wait for a post to say the right thing so that you can pounce and take a shot at these refs that upset you so much. I truely admire patience and tenacity!!!
LOL

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:41 PM

Thank you. I do try.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 01:41 PM

Now you know why we didn't win the T-shirt contest. It was rigged.
Posted By: nix

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 03:03 PM

can't we all just get along, maybe a group hug is in order.

you guy's and gals take care this summer, we will see you all next fall.

congrats to all you coaches and kids that wrestled this year, one more wrestling year gone and looking forward to next year.
Posted By: win by pin

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 07:23 PM

Lawanda maybe you should talk to your oun relation. last year one of your coaches followed a kid to the podium talking trash all the way there and even when they were getting there pics taken. what kind of person would do that. I also seen them making fun of a kid for crying after he lost a close match to a kid from hard knox. There is no room for actions like that. That is the kind of things people hate about your club.
Posted By: Nedly

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 07:59 PM

Jerry Dale.

Really Rig? Come on it is albout the shirt size that was turned in!!

No really it was a very close vote and the officals had a hard time picking a winner.

Congrats to Smokey Valley, and start working on those designs for next year.

Ned
Posted By: badbo

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 08:08 PM

Only 2 more pages and it will be tied with 2009 thread on this same topic.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: badbo
Only 2 more pages and it will be tied with 2009 thread on this same topic.

yeah?

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 09:21 PM

Now come on Ned shirt size! we turn in a big shirt an still didn't win boo hoo. I agree j.Dale it was rigged LOL. Is there some place to see the shirt. Never did see a Smokey Valley shirt all weekend. I know they were there just didn't see one. Congrats to them!!!!!!
Posted By: birddog

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 03/31/10 11:03 PM

Like TOHK or not - Would you really want to have a state tournament without them? Come On!! They are a part of us. It wouldn't be right without them. We are all different - but all the same - WE ALL LIKE TO WRESTLE. They bring as much to the picture as anybody (some good - some bad). To me, its what you take from state. Without TOHK being there, would everyone really be competing against the best? I don't think so! For that matter, I heard TOHK called quite a few times during the parade of champions. It wouldn't be right without them!!!
Klaus Schmidt

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 12:06 AM

I was sent a PM calling me a Racist. As a Mother of a Kid on the team you should be ashamed of yourself. It is not my fault I was cleaning out my car and the Gentleman got out of their caddy smelling like Bob Marley. Dont call me a Racist because I had the nerve to tell you what I saw. If i had a camera I would of took a pic maybe next time I will get out my pen and paper and ask them what there names are, So I am not accused of being a Racist by a woman that has never met me.
Posted By: wrestlingfan24

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 01:37 AM

I just would like to say that all my life (starting from 6yrs. old) I have wrestled against ("wwwc, TOHK") They are what I would call a club. They sit together, cheer for eachother, and everyone in the gym knows when they come in. Some of the best wrestlers from KS come from that club. They are very ambitious, and very competitive.
Saying all that, I used to wrestle against them every weekend. Sometimes I won and sometimes they won. It was always good competition! The parents and coaches from both sides played a huge role in each match. Being grown now, and part of the sport as a coach and dad, I have come to respect their program. The first year my son wrestled, I ran into coach Taylor and we visited a bit. He called me a "knuckle-head" and assured me that all was good, and in good competition.
Every club and program has its flaws. We should work to fix our own problems, instead of pointing fingers!
Posted By: djackson

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 01:56 AM

Lucas must hate every race because he has tried to wrestle everyone on here...LOL But will he give her a shot at the title?

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 02:48 AM

I dont hate anyone! I just cant believe she would call me a Racist

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 03:00 AM

When you make a vague statement about a white cadillac with gold rims and funny smell and automatically associate it with TOHK coaches.... you might be a racist.

Jason Murdock

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 03:40 AM

They had TOHK shirts on!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 04:50 AM

Wow... I guess they had to be coaches then didn't they????? If they were black and had TOHK shirts they must be coaches, do you realize how ignorant that sounds?

Jason Murdock

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 07:53 AM

what ever you want to think J mudock I know who i saw

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 11:14 AM

hey lucas why do you keep asking about t-bone ?????

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 12:24 PM

IThat comment was totally unnecessary....you can't tell me that was not stereotypical or racist.

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Email Topic
Unread By: none

#32008 - Yesterday at 07:47 PM Re: Cadillac with Gold Rims
Lucas Baker

Loc: salina No this comment was the truth.I am in no way a Racist I have a very good friend that is Black. And I have listened to rap music since I heard Eazy e in the 3rd grade. Its not my fault there was a Caddy with gold rims in the parking lot with two black guys in it getting high.

I did not call you a racist, I said that statement was racist..I have attached my email and your response. If you really did see what you said, you could have said that you saw them getting out of a car and you smelled something....by the way just because you listen to rap music and have a black friend, does not mean you are not racist...only you really know the answer to that.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 12:36 PM

Really, this has gone on long enough....Mr. Moderator, I believe that you can now delete....everyone should have gotten there annual dose of "BASHING TOHK" I hope that it makes people feel better. Someone questioned me as a mother...let's see: My son is in the math and language arts gifted program, my son has been wrestling since he was 4, he first qualified for state at the age of 5, he has been beat out at state one time at the age of 6, but other than that he has placed every year. My son is also a model--he was signed with an agency in NYC. He plays football, he is a builder, and most importantly he has a relationship with God.

My daughter, was promoted in school--she will graduate next year at the age of 17, and will have college credits under her belt when she does graduate--she has a gpa of 3.75. She is a cheerleader, and does a little modeling/acting as well. She also has a relationship with God. An important thing that I have taught me kids, we don't belittle others, to try and make ourselves feel better. I am done with this topic!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 03:27 PM

Because I would like to know how he did in High School. How come no one will tell me?

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 03:48 PM

I questioned you as a parent because when I told you your sons coaches were Breaking the Law in the parking lot, You attacked me and called me a racist, Instead of trying to figure out who was smoking pot in the parking lot. Not one person has asked me to describe the persons I saw. Its not considered a stereotype when it is the TRUTH they were driving a pearl white Caddy with Gold rims I cant help that.
Posted By: lynseywebb

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 03:50 PM

Uhm I'm thinking we need to be working on our "Filter"....
Posted By: GarateKids

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 04:30 PM

it was probably Medicenal anyway!!!
Who cares!!!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 04:33 PM

Coach Knox- You just changed my opinion of you...Very well said, and I hope that these wrestlers/clubs/parents can all take something from this thread...I know I will...Maybe if we ALL put forth a little effort, good things will come...My apologies for anything/everything I said to negatively impact your club..I look forward to seeing a lot of improvement from the leaders (including parents) next year....And for the record...I would never boo a wrestler...not cool at all!
Posted By: djackson

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: jmbsr
Never said I "boo a kid"...not once in my comments, did I say that...If other clubs/parents do boo TOHK kids, you can bet your sweet ass it's because of the coaches and their poor sportsmanship antics...How do you not shake an opponents hand?? And this is not a "rhetorical" question...I would love to hear why you think other clubs boo your club...

You forgot this one smile

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 06:31 PM

You forgot this one

Ahhh...Thanks Don...Retracting now :-)
Posted By: Mike Dipman

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 07:23 PM

Overall i thought the team of hard knock has acted better this year. They had there moments but who does'nt , Iknow i have and have seen a number of people who have. Its easy to set behind a computer and point fingers. Its hard to know what happened even seeing it if your not that person going through it. Hard Knocks has always traeted my son with respect even though they dont know him that well. Yes they have a couple parent coaches they may have problems with but who does'nt.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 07:32 PM

Oh by the way i walked by a 4 wheel drive truck with super swampers on it . The guy was about 5 foot eleven inches with a mullet. He also had a ' get-r-done' tatoo and it smelt funny! lol

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 08:28 PM

Now if you read my post and new a white guy wrote it, it would be funny to most. But if a guy of color wrote it it might be considered racist. Again just my thought might be incorrect just the way i see it. P.S. before anyone thinks this is racist im white.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 08:48 PM

Wow!!!!! This is what is wrong with America. I see two Black Coaches smoking weed in the Parking lot, and have the nerve to tell someone and I get called a Racist. If it makes any of you feel better I once owned a 2001 pearl White Cadillac Deville DTS with Chrome Rims. THE POINT I WAS MAKING IS THAT THE COACHES FOR TOHK were in the parking lot smooking weed. If your happy with that thats great, Not the guys I would want coaching my kids but hey thats your deal. I was simply asking if they had a drug testing policy For kids coaches.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 09:11 PM

Wow!!!!! This is what is wrong with America. I see two Black Coaches smoking weed in the Parking lot, and have the nerve to tell someone and I get called a Racist. If it makes any of you feel better I once owned a 2001 pearl White Cadillac Deville DTS with Chrome Rims. THE POINT I WAS MAKING IS THAT THE COACHES FOR TOHK were in the parking lot smooking weed. If your happy with that thats great, Not the guys I would want coaching my kids but hey thats your deal. I was simply asking if they had a drug testing policy For kids coaches.

sorry lucas, please don't send me any hateful pm's over this but..... you didn't tell anyone! you told everyone. what did you do about it at the time, call security, police? nothing, until you told everyone on here. sorry but don't break an ankle jumping off your high horse here.

for the record i don't feel is racist, i think it's wrong, but then again, you don't like my jokes. we've been down that road, and i would think you of all people would have some sympathy when it comes to posts and the interpretation.

racist, white, black, purple, orange, it doesn't matter this is america and innocent until proven guilty still applies, as does libel, slander and defamation of character. please everyone drop this thread it's way gone.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/01/10 10:23 PM

So lucas I have a question did any of their kids see them???? Cause I am beating a whole bunch of kids saw their coaches drinking to the point of stupidness! Ya it may be legal and all that but not sure I want my kid coach by a guy who drinks like that in front of kids. As for the weed if you are the only one that saw it or smelled so what. I bet you they were not the only ones there that was doing it. They got caught thats all. I don' think you are a racist you are anger and used what you knew would get a reaction. I drive a mini van I hope that don't make me a soccer mom with 4 kids??? Cause I soooooo ain't. Lucas do your self a favor cause I do this some times I call a friend read them what I wrote and ask is that to B*&%# . Trust me my friends will tell me. I hope you have friends that would do the same for you. TOHK will defend their kids and coaches to the end. I will bet that if they every catch one doing something Coach Knox will take care of it himself. So you have said what you need to I am sure if he needs to clean house he will. Their house let them clean it if need be.
Posted By: EudoraJrCards

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/02/10 01:15 AM

So ironic that the thread is by titled " Consistently Bad Sportsmanship " I say Ironic due to the fact that none of it has been displayed here, in the forum thread. Let the Coach's Coach, Wrestlers wrestle, Parents cheer and the USAW District Directors Direct. I may be over stepping my bounds here as I only know a few of you by name and most by face. Even at that its usually a quick hello and a good luck or a pat on the back. Our club is still young and growing with only a 3-4 yr history.... But I have to tell you ( even being a college football guy ) I have never found or participated in a sport that requires as much heart as it does brains as it does just pure metal and strength. I hate to see any bad blood between any of our wrestling family in any District. Ultimately we are really only responsible for our own actions or those under our advisement, wrestler and coach alike. This will be my first and last post with reagrds to this thread or topic. I just felt moved to share as all of you have done. Thanks again and my intention is not to offend.
I must say this is a great sport of which I hold in high esteem. We should all try to keep it cleaned and polished so as it wont tarnish

Art Kennedy
EJCW

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/02/10 03:17 AM

When I was a kid, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then.

And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work.

On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burnt biscuit never hurt anyone!"

Life is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each others faults - and choosing to celebrate each others differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

That's my prayer for you today. That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or siblings or friendship!

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."

God Bless You..... Now, and Always......

So Please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burnt one will do just fine.!.!.!.!

And PLEASE pass this along to someone who has enriched your life... I just did!
Posted By: M.Church_AD

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/02/10 07:07 PM

Don't throw stones from a Glass house!

I guarantee I have displayed behaviors that if I had the opportunity to look back and see would without a doubt embarrass and shame my family, friends and myself. I carry with me a mountain of sin. Some that come too mind I would take back in an instant if I could. But I can't and I have to deal with that sin myself.

However, on this day we celebrate "Good Friday" also known as "Holy Friday". On Good Friday, a man named Jesus Christ proved to us he was the son of God and was publicly embarrassed and brutally murdered for one reason.... "To save me from that sin". Christ was dead for a 3 day period and then on a day we call "Easter", Christ escaped the grave to sit at the side of God. So guess what Lucas Baker. Those people you saw smoking marijuana outside of a kids wrestling tournament still have the same chance you do... to turn from that sin and follow Christ.

However I would like to Challenge any and all people including TOHK, Lucas Baker, et al. To take a deep look into your own life and sins. Are your sins better than the sins you notice of others? Is smoking weed in private any better than doing it in public? Lucas, I specifically remember you publicly telling us you got drunk at home when you got a refund check and called out individuals in the wrestling community for not believing what you believe (paraphrased). Is that a sinful or inappropriate act? Are you free of sin? If you are, than I say, you are allowed to bash others for any and all sins you see. However, if you are a sinner... and I have a feeling your sins are the same in some respect... then work on correcting your own lives and walk before you try and call out others for what you perceive "sinful acts".

For the record: Growing up and being in this sport in many different areas I have been around many different Kids wrestling clubs where coaches and parents smoke weed among other drugs, get drunk beyond recognition, cheat on their spouses within and outside of the club(Adultery), fight and argue, steal money, etc. So why are we calling out only TOHK???? Why not call them out too... I'll tell you why, because it is not right!!!!!!!!!!!

None of us are ever going to be good enough to do that as there was only one perfect walk/life on this earth. And he died for you to be imperfect and to love each other just as he loved you!

Have a great Easter Week-end.

Michael Church
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/02/10 08:58 PM

That was a post from a man that is not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! Romans 1:16, 1 Cor. 5:21.
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/02/10 11:29 PM

Coach Church,

Very well said. I just would have left out the 'chance' part. God has and uses loaded dice.

Pro 16:
33 The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the LORD.

John 6:
44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

He does not passively wait around for us to choose Him. That was decided before the foundation of the world. The word 'predestination' is in the Bible. What does it mean? See Eph 1 and 2. Read Romans 8 and 9.

I know, wrong forum. If you want to PM me about this, that would be fine.

And finally, for Coach Church (notice the older men drop their stones first - they have lived longer and are generally wiser than the younger folks who think they are without/above sin):

John 8:
3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

11"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 06:18 AM

I told you my Neighbor got me drunk!!! It was the first time since my buddy's wedding In July that I had had anything to drink. I have never cheated in a relationship. I have lost jobs to help friends in need out. I moved in with my grand parents after grandpa had his second pace maker put in and grandma came down with breast cancer. I gave up a full ride so that my wife could take hers, I dont regret much that have done in life. Im sorry you cant say the same. When I got drunk with my neighbor it was 11:00 at night and I was not coaching kids at state.

Thanks for calling me out though I hope you fell better about yourself now!!!!!!!
Posted By: doug747

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 10:31 AM

Lucas, can you walk on water? Or are you drinking again??!!

NEVER in my life, did someone hold me down and pour whiskey down my throat. If it happened to you, maybe your neighbor, rather than you, should be fighting Beeson.........

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 01:03 PM

I told you my Neighbor got me drunk!!!
Are you sure that your neighbor is not also responsible for the alleged actions of the people in the cadillac????
Posted By: blueeyes67005

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 01:35 PM

I think all of you need to take a step back and think how you would fill if every time your kid steps on the mat they get booed for no reason except that they know how to win. i am an old time wrestling fan, and supporter i have been in this sport all of my life and have been around all most all the older coaches and i will tell you if that was my kid the finger would be the last thing i would do. so as far as tohk i say first off hi everyone and let them be coach knox and them will take care of any iner probs they might have just like any other club out there but if the fans would learn how to have respect for the kids of tohk things might just calm down. and as far as drinking at the hotels after the kids are in bed we are adults if we want to unwind what is it to you. it is not in front of your kids if so take them and put them in bed and stay away from the adults who are drinking thank you

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 02:31 PM

Doug and luellen
When I said he got me drunk, I meant that I do not keep whiskey or beer in my house so I can not get myself drunk. I might drink 4 times a year. I can assure all of you I have never been intoxicated around my CHILD Or even Worse other peoples KIDS. Which is really the problem at hand here.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 03:09 PM

Which is really the problem at hand here.
Hmmm!
Posted By: M.Church_AD

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 03:32 PM

AS I stated in my first post I am buried by a mountain of sin and acts in my past where I have no right to judge anybody ever. There are thousands of stories out there about me that are probably true that should and would cast me in the most sinful light in the world. As I attempt daily to turn from that sin, I struggle just as the rest of the world does.

I thought real hard last night about this topic. I woke up this morning and prayed about it. I'm in the middle of a PM conversation with Lucas. However, I want to make something perfectly clear! I am not calling anybody out! I by no means was attempting to say somebody is a drug addict, alcoholic, adulterer, theif, etc. I simply was trying to put out there the mountain of sin that is laid before us on a daily basis.

Lucas saw what he saw. He felt the need to put it online. That is his First Amendment Right. It is everybody else's right however, to respond to that. My true hope now is that this entire thread is deleted by a moderator. The messages have been put out there, but every time we click on that link looking for something new to read and gossip with each other about we are damaging the wrestling community instead of helping it.

TOHK are fans and family in the sport. Lucas is a family member in the sport. Dwelsh,J Murdock, Chief, etc are all fans and family members of the sport. Is it really doing any good to get on here and publicly bash each other? Yes, things need to change in this world for sure. However, this thread is doing nothing for anybody.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 06:18 PM

I posted on this thread not to judge but to defend the young wrestlers that get booed when they win & excessive cheering when they lose. I am under the same mountian of sin you speak of. Because i am a sinner myself dont mean i have to submit to cowardly idoits that disrespect kids in the sport i love. This booing & excessive celibration is done in a cowardly & spineless & rude way that I dont like. If you are one of the people doing this I am speaking directly to you. If you are not one of the people doing this then dont take any of this personal i am not speaking to you. Again I am stating a personal opinion. This has nothing to do with the opinion of the club my sons wrestle for or the opinion of any other club. I got a little off track with my last post but i am back on task now.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 06:47 PM

thank you for the vote of confidence richard, but i try not to allow myself to be drug into the streets. beeson was going to take the challenge as he may feel that he has somethng to prove. i don't know why, he is one of the best hs wrestlers in ks history, and is a great coach. giving something back to the sport he loves is all the proof i need to know he is the better man. this thread is old, and tired, and everyone needs to remember this: every time you bash coach knox and his club, you have just stoked the fire that is TOHK! good luck with that! you're going to need it!
Posted By: team sparks

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/03/10 09:02 PM

Team of hard knox have bad attitudes they try to intimadate refs other coaches, wrestlers.Their fans are loud and annoying they are bullies they should be banned.Have heard it all on here and even felt the same way about a few of those comments at one time.My son has wrestled for 8yrs(didnt make weight at subs so season over early damn puberty)and my daughter has wrestled for 5yrs(she took 3rd at state 120 10and under)and now feel different about TOHK really didnt hear that much from them at state until I got on here.Did hear their fans though and think its entertaining to watch them cheer and sing just as much as it is entertaining to watch some other kids mom in the stands screaming and trying to tell her kid how to wrestle.I think TOHK has a good program and good coaches are they perfect?No can they maybe change some things yes but you can say that about alot of clubs no club is perfect.I think compared to what I have seen in the past TOHK has changed but I know if someone told me I need to change I would probably just be a little more outrageous.So if you like em good if you dont ignore them and if they get under your skin thats a personal problem cause I dont give people the power to get to me like that

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/04/10 03:53 AM

A little late there sparks, this s##t has all been said already

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/06/10 07:06 PM

Sorry I tired to let it die, but I just got this post from A MOTHER OF THOK. I wish that the Parents could be as humble as the Coaches have been.
THOK Mother showing her age!
"You sound like a stalker, or maybe you are seeking male companionship from one of the coaches you seem to be so interested in--but just so you know, they are only companions with women"

Grow up lady its not my fault I saw what i saw

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/06/10 07:29 PM

Your not trying to let this die or you would have. It would not have been that hard to just let it go.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/06/10 09:02 PM

Lets be done!

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/06/10 09:23 PM

Beeson
Instead of returning the trash talk she wrote me. I thought it would be better to show the rest of you just what type of THOK MOM she is. I have not posted for 3 days and this is what I logged in too today! I would of told her I had a baby in High School, but I figured somehow she would twist it and make me a Racist.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/06/10 09:27 PM

it's TOHK. DIDN'T YOU LISTEN TO THE CHANT? T.O.H.K, i don't care who you are it's intimidating. for no other reason that they are B.A wrestlers. get over it.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/07/10 12:09 AM

I thought it would be better to show the rest of you just what type of THOK MOM she is.
Why? It would have been best to just delete it and forget about it if you really wanted this topic to be done.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/07/10 01:42 AM

put down the spoon, quit stirring the pot.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/07/10 04:17 AM

Go to your corners boys let it be. You do agree with this you don't agree with that one. At this point who cares. TOHK will be who and what they are period talking on here isn't going to change it. How about we all quit posting on this thread?
Posted By: Malay #189

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/07/10 04:37 PM

How is chanting T.O.H.K intimidating? I've been to the feterated state tournament many times a wrestler and just went my 3rd time as a coach. I've never found it intimidating, just kinda annoying. The only thing that is possibly intimidating is their wrestling.

Re: Consistently Bad Sportsmanship - 04/07/10 08:41 PM

their wrestling carries over to their attitude, and vise versa, to some they are intimidating. i don't find it annoying, i think it's just excitement, which again carries over to the mat. good luck, in the future, and thanks for giving back to the sport in such a positive way.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums