Kansas Wrestling

Subdistrict entry deadline............

Posted By: doug747

Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 02:40 AM

With the use of Trackwrestling, there is absolutely NO reason to have to have your entries in the Wednesday before the seeding meeting. Trying to recruit HS kids to wrestle the state series takes time. Many are tired of it, and takes a while to "miss" it. It is possible that our club alone could have picked up at least 3 more kids if given til Saturday midnight, the night before the seeding meeting. Winfield had some sort of miscommunication with HS kids, and 10 of them were unable to sign up. I understand we need a deadline, but it doesn't need to be this early........

My understanding is that this issue was brought up at the Exec Council meeting, and it was shot down.

Can someone give me a legit excuse for the Wednesday deadline? We are allowed to make changes the morning of the seeding meeting, so if by chance I entered a kid in the wrong weight class, I can change it SUnday morning, and no harm is done. So don't give me this "we have to have them in by Wednesday, so we can release them for coaches to look over to check for mistakes". All that does is cause mass panic of parents moving their kids around to avoid the tough kids........

By the way, it is comical to see the nervous dads asking "what weight is so and so going for subs?", trying to avoid competition.
Posted By: Teamroper

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:09 AM

I agree Doug, I spent three nights in a row trying to reach Parents/HS-Ms kids to confirm what they wanted to do. I still missed some that wanted to go out. Some my fault some theirs.

Just coming off of state it is hard to get all their information in 1-2 days.

Friday-Saturday deadline would be great.

I thought Track could handle this no problem???
Posted By: shwrestlingmom

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:12 AM

It was crazy that we had a few HS boys also that did not get in. They were at state the weekend before and not even thinking about deadlines for kids club. I don't see why they couldn't have made late entries for the HS kids. If you can still make changes you should be able to add them.
Posted By: 2Boys

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:16 AM

I agree, the deadline is too early, especially if you are going to allow EXTRA kids to be added into a bracket, that were not in the bracket as of Wednesday 10 pm. A deadline is a deadline, and if you are going to allow changes the day of the meeting, then all the clubs should just be able to enter their kids at the seeding meeting. If you are afraid of your kid having to wrestle in the bracket they were entered in because you find out "who" they will be wrestling, then that's too bad. I find it hard to believe that all the clubs will follow the "rules" when there are so many being "bent" to benefit whomever.
Posted By: 2Boys

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: shwrestlingmom
It was crazy that we had a few HS boys also that did not get in. They were at state the weekend before and not even thinking about deadlines for kids club. I don't see why they couldn't have made late entries for the HS kids. If you can still make changes you should be able to add them.

Changes and add-ins for HS should be allowed, not for 6, 8, 10 and 12.
Posted By: BLT

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:39 AM

I think additions should be allowed for anyone that's in HS or MS.
Until the state has the same schedule for MS thru out the state then there needs to be some flexability. We have kids just now finishing MS and they need that little bit of extra time to get back into the room.
So...
Who's submitting the bylaw change to the state?
Let's post the wording on here so we can make sure the wording covers all the bases.
Posted By: Mark J Stanley

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:44 AM

I agree...but to play devils advocate, no matter where you draw the line in the sand you will have procrastinators or people that won't get off the fence. The later you make the deadline the more work it is for those doing the heavy lifting.

That point being made, I personally think we should modify the bylaws to allow "day of seeding meeting" entries for an additional fee. There is a lot of work that goes into making things behind the curtain run smoothly. There is not any "Wizard of Oz".

However, until someone makes a request for bylaw change…rules are rules and we should follow them.
Posted By: JACD_Moison

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:54 AM

I am seriously, "just asking", but when was anyone aware of knowing when this deadline was taking place? This way it can be brought up at next years meeting to be overturned. My kid is only 8, but I hate to see ANY kid miss an opportunity just because a club or coaches/parents weren't getting an email or forgot when the deadline was. Not the kids's fault. When it boils down, if the kids is a stud enough to make state, then someone should have been a little more responsible. I know taxes are due April 16th... Deadlines need to be enforced.

From what I heard the numbers at the meeting were down and it was a very close vote...

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:56 AM

Can someone explain if there is a "walk on" rule and how it can be utilized?

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 04:08 AM

BLT...the walk on rule was put in place for the schools with late Middle School seasons. It can only be implemented in the case where a wrestler could not wrestler Subs or District toruneys because they were not released from their Middle School or High School teams. I have been involved in USAWKS for over ten years and I don't think it has been utilized in that time period. School seasons don't overlap our USAWA seasons anymore. I think the latest ending date for Middle School in KS was this past weekend and High School ends the last weekend in February.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 04:22 AM

JACD_Moison

The answer you are looking for can be found in Section III, Article II, and Paragraph 3 of our bylaws which can be found under the "Kids" in the "Divisions" clickable links to the left.

"Each District will establish a deadline, ten (10) days prior to the sub-district tournament after which no additional entries may be made."

I am in favor of exploring other language for our bylaws and trying to get it amended, which takes a 2/3 vote of our body to get passed...a simple majority vote will not suffice. So you have to show up in October and sit though the entire meeting in order to make democracy happen. Change cannot occur just because a bunch of us speak our voice on this forum...no matter how much since it makes.
Posted By: JACD_Moison

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 04:28 AM

Thanks Mark, but the point I was trying to make was that everyone was aware of the deadline prior to Wednesday
Posted By: shwrestlingmom

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 04:45 AM

Not all of the HS kids knew of the date or they wouldn't of shown up to a practice on Thrus. asking to sign up. Some only knew by word of mouth. I know the 2 that wanted to sign up were asked by my son if they had signed up and they didn't know the deadline. My son knew because I'm the secretary for the kids club. Yes as a club we should have been more vocal but the HS kids only had HS State on their mind. They took a few days off to come back and find out they can't continue in kids club because they were a day late. I agree with Mark have a late entry fee.
Posted By: bockman

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 05:18 AM

there is always talk about keeping the numbers up but then a few kids are left out. not sure about some of these rules and the way some people think. say one thing then do another. makes the sport look pretty bad. yes i have heard it over and over. a rule is a rule. make up your mind. you want to get the numbers up or keep it by the rule book.
Posted By: Joe Knecht

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 12:30 PM

It seem s
Originally Posted By: Mark J Stanley

That point being made, I personally think we should modify the bylaws to allow "day of seeding meeting" entries for an additional fee.

It seems each year there are kids left off the list likely due to an adult's mistake. I've personally experienced this myself and it's not fair to the kids.

No matter where the deadline falls, I believe this same issue will happen. I'm in favor of any change that places the punishment where it belongs which I believe is with the adults.
I totally agree a "late fee" of sorts would accomplish allowing the kid to wrestle and punish the appropriate adults. The late fee would need to be enough to encourage the parents/clubs to get the entries placed in time.

The club director and parent of the kid could work out who needs to pay the fee. Mistake was by club, club pays. Parent didn't come to practice because their kid was sick, Parent pays.

The extra money generated could go to a scholarship or a Kansas D1 fund!

I have to admit that I don't know how to introduce a change like this. How does one do that?
Posted By: lylegeyer

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 12:48 PM

I feel this is a great idea. Every year some kid gets railroaded because of an adult mistake. Either they forgot the kid, or entered them at the wrong weight ect. ect.
Posted By: lylegeyer

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BLT
I think additions should be allowed for anyone that's in HS or MS.
Until the state has the same schedule for MS thru out the state then there needs to be some flexability. We have kids just now finishing MS and they need that little bit of extra time to get back into the room.
So...
Who's submitting the bylaw change to the state?
Let's post the wording on here so we can make sure the wording covers all the bases.

I agree. 90% of our Middle School kids that want to do kids state will miss this year. Our MS season ends this coming friday, and they weren't thinking about kids until it was already too late. They demand no kids wrestling during school wrestling, but then they turn around and tell them they are too late to enter even though our middle school wrestles up until a day before sub districts. Really good rules, board. Your really making the sport grow and the kids love it. I will be willing to bet we lose over half of the team to BB in H.S. next year just because the kids feel wrestling and the adults who run it screw them. They already know you can blame others in basketball, but they have always been told they are to blame in wrestling. Well it don't look like it to them or me now.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: lylegeyer
Either they forgot the kid, or entered them at the wrong weight ect. ect.

Age and weight corrections are currently allowed the day of seeding.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 07:17 PM

I believe that if we allowed entries up until Midnight the day before the seeding meeting, we'd be able to say we gave the kids ample time to enter, and gave the clubs ample time to recruit.

So if seeding meetings continue to be on the Sunday before the subdistrict tourney, the deadline for entry is Saturday midnight the day before. Weight changes can take place prior to the seeding meeting.

We don't need any penalties, finger pointing, etc. Come hell or high water, this is the deadline.

I can see how we needed to have the entries in 10 days before the seeding meeting, prior to the use of trackwrestling, as there was lots of "hand" work.
Posted By: Auntie Em

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 08:16 PM

Our club gets information out to the kids that are wrestling in HS or MS and we let them know what is required and when the deadline for entry is. This can been done about the time that your HS team is doing Regionals. They can't practice or join kids club until after their session is finished, but they can have the information. Then it is in their hands and their parents hands to get the signup information in.
Posted By: Purple_Freak

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 08:18 PM

Doug- This is absolutely the way to go. Trackwrestling has changed the timing of things. I would even be in favor of midnight Friday before the seeding meeting. This would give clubs Saturday to review weight classes ect.. before getting to the seeding meeting Sunday morning.

Either way 10 days before is a bit extreme.
Posted By: Spexy

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/07/11 09:53 PM

Seems to me the executive council will just over ride the rule change anyway.

I know track simplifies things...but correct me if I'm wrong...kids state has always been the last week in March. Preceded by subs and districts...no big secret...most ms and high school kids have wrestled in it at one time or another...why is this hard to figure out unless you are recruiting for nothing more than team points.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/08/11 05:24 AM

Well I see that we are wanting to make it as easy for the kids as possible BUT I want to make it easy on the host club as well.
If we get too crazy then no one will want to host subs.
Why dont we raise the entry fee to $20 for subs BUT if you sign up by 10 days before (like the current bylaws state) then you will get a 25% discount on your entry fee.

OK
So what Im saying here is charge people extra for waiting til the last minute to sign up...
Im just saying it in a nicer way!! LOL!!
We need to encourage people to not wait til the last minute but make it possible for those that have too.

So whos writting the bylaw change?
Posted By: Teamroper

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/08/11 11:38 AM

I know for me some of the concern was 1) getting more HS/MS kids to come out and second was watching out for the interest of the club.

I had gotten several verbal commitments from HS/MS then when I called the parent to confirm the $50 off the start slowed a few of them up.

I struggled to get a hold of a few of them so I put them in anyways just in case. They backed out and the club is down that money. Getting them HS/MS (or parents) just to show up and take care of the paperwork and money is a nightmare.

If I would have been stricter about no one goes until it is all done we would have had 3-4 kids instead of the 11-13 that we got. I think every club does the same.

I am willing to take on the By-law change. As long as Nix will hold my hand while I speak to the group, people make me nervous.
Posted By: wrestlingmom

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/08/11 11:38 AM

There was a time many years ago that high school wrestlers had a later due date to sign up for subs.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of these high schoolers go out for a spring sport so tryouts begin the Monday after State. The last thing on their minds is whether or not they want to wrestle kids division. If they have a week off of wrestling practice and get through tryouts they might reconsidered kids division but by that time the deadline has passed.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/09/11 06:52 PM

Here is a quote taken from another thread:

Originally Posted By: Cokeley

Nearly 20 Kansas Kids will not be wrestling because of errors committed by their parents or club representatives this year. I would be much more inclined to fight for their participation that assist in a cause that could lead to a Kansas Kid not making it to state because they were beaten by an out of stater.

Now,
My feeling was that at the seeding meeting when they denied these kids the chance to register late for subs, that this was going to be used as an arguing point by the executive committiee againest the OKlahoma situation.

Im not saying Cokeley is doing this but I am saying that IMO the executive board could of made some sort of exception for these Kansas kids that got entered late but instead they would later come back and say "well we wont even make an exception for KS kids why should we do it for OK kids"

If thats the case!!!
And something COULD of been done (Executive board meeting or conference call) to allow these KS kids a chance to wrestle and we choose not to because we wanted to set an example, then shame on you! Two wrongs dont make a right!
I find it very hard to believe that there wasnt something that could of been done to allow some of the MS and HS kids through out the state that didnt get signed up for whatever reason.
Posted By: up4wrestling

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/09/11 07:39 PM

Our club had a deadline set for sign ups that was prior to the deadline for the official sign up. We handed out club forms and requested information from all the HS wrestlers at the Regional Tournament if they did not qualify to go on to High School State. We have several sign up that night after their HS season was officially over. The week following Regionals we had more contact us and sign up...we have 3 practices a week and we made an effort to contact all parents and wrestlers in a timely fashion so that all had the opportunity to think it over and still get signed up for the State Series. I know that hearing that a few kids missed the deadline it would be easy for it to happen. Parents need to step up and be aware of sign up time lines for tournaments. Thru out the entire Kids season their are deadlines for each and every tournament. The club person in charge of sign up can only do so much. They should not be required to babysit parents that want thier kids involved in tournaments. This deadline issue is not new. The deadline has been in effect for as long as I can remember for this series. How ever it happened it was a disappointment to the child the most.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/09/11 08:26 PM

Our club adhered to the deadline, but my point is that it doesn't need to be the Wednesday before the seeding meeting. It could be the Saturday before the seeding meeting, so we'd have more time to recruit kids to wrestle the kids' series.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ - 03/09/11 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BLT
Here is a quote taken from another thread:

Originally Posted By: Cokeley

Nearly 20 Kansas Kids will not be wrestling because of errors committed by their parents or club representatives this year. I would be much more inclined to fight for their participation that assist in a cause that could lead to a Kansas Kid not making it to state because they were beaten by an out of stater.

Now,
My feeling was that at the seeding meeting when they denied these kids the chance to register late for subs, that this was going to be used as an arguing point by the executive committiee againest the OKlahoma situation.

Im not saying Cokeley is doing this but I am saying that IMO the executive board could of made some sort of exception for these Kansas kids that got entered late but instead they would later come back and say "well we wont even make an exception for KS kids why should we do it for OK kids"

If thats the case!!!
And something COULD of been done (Executive board meeting or conference call) to allow these KS kids a chance to wrestle and we choose not to because we wanted to set an example, then shame on you! Two wrongs dont make a right!
I find it very hard to believe that there wasnt something that could of been done to allow some of the MS and HS kids through out the state that didnt get signed up for whatever reason.

There was something that could have been done. They could have signed up by the deadline. grin With that said, Doug is right, the deadline should be moved closer to the seeding meeting date.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums