Kansas Wrestling

Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy

Posted By: Cokeley

Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 01/31/13 05:51 PM

Open Split Session
February 9th
http://www.usawks.com/invites/130209StJames.pdf

Register now! We have reached capacity every year!
http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=68513009

February 10th
Novice
http://www.usawks.com/invites/130210Woofter.pdf

Register now! We have reached capacity every year!
http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/registration/BasicPreReg1.jsp?tournamentGroupId=68515009

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/01/13 05:22 PM

If you wish to host a remote weigh in on Friday night please get me your information ASAP so I can list it here for all to see.
Posted By: meb

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/05/13 03:56 AM

Is anyone in Topeka doing a remote weigh in for this tournament? I haven't seen any listed yet.

Thank you in advance!!
Mary
Posted By: Greg Murray

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/05/13 12:47 PM

Blue Thunder will host a satellite weigh-in. Will let me know if this is OK.

Greg Murray
Posted By: Joe Knecht

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/05/13 02:33 PM

All weigh-ins need to be performed by bronze certified coach, no more than 24 hrs prior to the tournament on a certified scale. All entries need to be submitted by 8PM Friday night.

Thorough skin and nail checks done at time of weigh in. If there are questionable issues and no skin form, the wrestler will not be allowed to wrestle.

REMOTE WEIGH IN SITES:

Thunder Open (SAT)
The following locations are available for weigh in on Friday

Bobcat Wrestling (5:30PM-6:00PM)
3102 N 155th St. Basehor, KS. 66012.

Northeast Knights (4:30 - 5:30PM)
Riverside High School
Wathena, KS

Silver Lake High School (6:00-6:30PM)
Silver Lake, KS
Brian Dultmeier @ 785-845-1906

St James Academy (6:30-8:00)
24505 Prairie Star Pkwy Lenexa, KS 66227

Topeka Blue Thunder (5:30 - 6:30)
1836 SW 65th Street
Topeka, Kansas 66619
Greg Murray @ 785-925-1642

Atchinson (7:00-8:00PM)
2107 Greenview Drive
Atchison, KS 66002
Mark Jirak @ 913-426-2013

Lawrence Elite Wrestling (6:30-7:00PM)
1025 N. 3rd suite 105, Lawrence, Kansas.
Roger Fincher @ 785-691-8169

Holton High School (3:30p-4:30p)
Holton, KS

Logins for remote sites will be sent on Friday afternoon.

Donna Woofter Novice (SUN)
The following locations are available for weigh in on Saturday

St James Academy (5:00-6:30PM)
24505 Prairie Star Pkwy Lenexa, KS 66227

Bobcat Wrestling (5:00-5:30PM)
3102 N 155th St. Basehor, KS. 66012.
Logins for remote sites will be sent on Saturday afternoon.

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/05/13 05:59 PM

Whoohoo! Thanks again Blue Thunder!!! You are hugely appreciated!

Mary
Posted By: Hokahey4life

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/06/13 05:51 PM

Agreed - Thank you Blue Thunder!!
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/06/13 06:22 PM

Just a quick note. Pay attention to the time if you have some one weighing in on different days.

The Open weighin at Saint James is from [6:30-8:00[/color] on Friday

The Novice weighin at Saint James is from 5:00-6:30 on Saturday.
Posted By: Bobcat71

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/06/13 10:38 PM

Bobcat Wrestling would like to be a satelite site for both the open and novice tournament. Friday night 5:30pm-6:00pm, Saturday night 5:00-5:30pm. Address is 3102 N 155th St. Basehor, KS. 66012.
Posted By: Spartans01

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/07/13 08:18 PM

Leavenworth County Spartans would like to host satellite weigh ins.

Open weigh ins - Friday, 5:30-6:30 Leavenworth HS wrestling room 2012 10th Ave, Leavenworth KS 66048

Novice weigh ins - Saturday, 5:30-6:30 Lansing HS wrestling room
220 Lion Lane Lansing, KS 66043

Jeff Butler
(808) 230-1371
jrod400@aol.com
Posted By: Swoop

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/07/13 09:50 PM

Osawatomie Wrestling Club would like to host satellite weigh ins for the Novice tournament.

Novice weigh ins-Saturday from 5:00-6:00 Osawatomie High School wrestling room. 1200 Trojan Dr. Osawatomie, KS 66064.

Marc Dunn
913-256-9395
marcdunn16@gmail.com
Posted By: Joe Knecht

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/08/13 12:40 PM

Accounts and instruction emails have been sent. Let me know if you didn't get one.

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/10/13 02:35 AM

Awesome tournament today. Fast and professional. The first place medals looked great also.

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/10/13 02:53 AM

Donna Woofter Novice Tournament

brackets are now up on trackwrestling.com

Posted By: HokaheyCoach

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/10/13 04:08 AM

Great Tourney ..excellent hospitality room and of course the competition was good. Nice surfaces but horribly set up..no where to walk..suggest revamping that next year. Also.. paper brackets was a big disappointment for a tourney like this. Over all very good day!!

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/10/13 11:49 PM

Piggy backing on my previous comment... other than the hospitality room once again being A+ the tournament left alot to be desired. It was overcrowded and poorly ran. The brackets changed numerous times due to a club being allowed to enter last minute. I guess money does make the world go round. I personally asked to have the doors opened to the sauna of a gym 3 times and was told they would look into it.

I would be willing to return to the Thunder Open but not this one unless they do a split session as well.

The 13 year old kid refereeing on mat 2 needs to be instructed on what Novice is... touch pins not allowed sir!
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 01:04 AM

A nice, well ran tournament. Good medals and young Akin and Wilson were just fine as refs on mat 1. I would recommend a split sesssion for the novices next year, it was too crowded.

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 01:57 AM

I want to thank all of you who attended for supporting Thunder wrestling and the Woofter Family. We will be awarding a Cadet or Junior Wrestler the Donna Woofter FS/GR $300 Scholarship this year. Details to be released soon.

Comments:

Yes, the Donna Woofter will be a split session next year.

Yes, we will have more food next year. We apologize for running out.

The high winds made it difficult to open the doors and keep them open. People were going in and out which caused concern that someone's fingers were going to get smashed.

Bracket changing... I touched on this in the coaches meeting prior to the start of the tournament. As we evolve to allow clubs to host remote weigh ins we are going to have to establish standards. I was receiving txts and email up to 11pm. Clubs had hosted weigh ins on THURSDAY which should be absolutely unacceptable. Some clubs just don't have their stuff organized. So Scott, the question is... Do I penalize a kid for the adults failure to follow procedure or do I allow the kid to wrestle? It is a NOVICE tournament so OF COURSE I am going to let the kids wrestle. It was of very little inconvenience to rebracket to let more kids get on the mat. I think we made the right decision. It had absolutly NOTHING to do with money.

All of the kids who were officiating today need experience and training. That is why they were there. ALL novice tournaments should use young officials instead of the veterans. These matches are to get exposure and experience for wrestlers, coaches, parents, and officials. If we don't develop officials and show some patience then we won't have any in the future.

Thanks again to all who attended!

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 02:56 AM

I understand Will.. My apologies about the money comment.. maybe I jumped the gun but when you have sweat pooling in your shoes it makes for a frustrating day... with that said the only real issue was the overcrowding and with a split format that should solve the issue so I would be happy to return under that assumption. Overall good weekend... but do come with some real brackets next year.. some look forward to those.

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 11:52 AM

Thank you to the host club, volunteers, trackwrestling administrator, I am not going to name everyone - But THANK YOU! GREAT JOB. Tournaments have really improved over the 40 years (that includes competitions) I have been involved in the sport. They will continue to improve - only with great volunteers.

Oh my gosh - we had a breakfast and lunch buffett in the hopitality room - Rating 10 out of 10!

THANK YOU!

Sean
Posted By: wrestlingmom

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: HokaheyCoach

The 13 year old kid refereeing on mat 2 needs to be instructed on what Novice is... touch pins not allowed sir!

I was a table worker at mat 1 and 2 all day. Impressed with the 3 refs at our tables, keep up the good work guys.

Also, loved the big mat surfaces. Very few time outs and we were done by 2:30!

We had a little guy from East Kansas Wrestling Club come up to us before the tournament, very proud of his singlet. Then he informed us that he is also a "genius". This little guy ended up getting 2nd place....as a wrestling mom nearing the end of my son's wrestling career, I am mostly glad that wrestling will be ending after next year. But then you meet these little guys like above and it makes you wish for those times again!

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 03:29 PM

I also want to thank St. James Academy for being a great wrestling supporter. They open their facility to the wrestling community for tournaments, practices and clinics so ALL kids who want to wrestle may benefit.

Lastly, I want to thank ALL of the volunteers who make these events happen. Hours and hours of preparation go into a tournament as well as many hours of clean up. I appreciate everyone who help make our tournaments a success.
Posted By: shawnbudke

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 04:52 PM

Oh Miss Henes,

I don't think you are going to escape that easy. You have a whole bunch of "little" guys that look for you at these tournaments because of all the support you give. I know you will have to make a couple tournaments at least because I for one will have a little guy that will be looking for you!

Shawn

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: wrestlingmom
Originally Posted By: HokaheyCoach

I was a table worker at mat 1 and 2 all day. Impressed with the 3 refs at our tables, keep up the good work guys.

Also, loved the big mat surfaces. Very few time outs and we were done by 2:30!

We had a little guy from East Kansas Wrestling Club come up to us before the tournament, very proud of his singlet. Then he informed us that he is also a "genius". This little guy ended up getting 2nd place....as a wrestling mom nearing the end of my son's wrestling career, I am mostly glad that wrestling will be ending after next year. But then you meet these little guys like above and it makes you wish for those times again!

I was simply stating that he was not educated on what constitutes a novice referee. Never seen him make a bad call... he just called way to many touch pins. Overall good day of officiating.. both days actually if you take Barry Manilow off mat 4 out of the mix on Saturday... someone needs to remind him to retire!!
Posted By: ram

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/11/13 11:37 PM

Scott - You seem to have strong opinions on how tournaments should be ran, gym size, what you can and cannot bring in the doors, who should officiate and who shouldn't, levels of competition, what type of food is in the concession and hospitality, gym temperature, parking, mat size, brackets, medals, decibel levels inside the gym. I may have left a few things out. Your opinions have certainly been heard and seen on this forum.
I can't wait for the grandaddy of all tournaments next year in Lawrence. Funny, in six years of going to kids tournaments I've never been to one in Lawrence. Can't wait to see it on the calendar for next year.

Jerry Schmidt
Cougar Kids Club

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/12/13 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ram
Scott - You seem to have strong opinions on how tournaments should be ran, gym size, what you can and cannot bring in the doors, who should officiate and who shouldn't, levels of competition, what type of food is in the concession and hospitality, gym temperature, parking, mat size, brackets, medals, decibel levels inside the gym. I may have left a few things out. Your opinions have certainly been heard and seen on this forum.
I can't wait for the grandaddy of all tournaments next year in Lawrence. Funny, in six years of going to kids tournaments I've never been to one in Lawrence. Can't wait to see it on the calendar for next year.

Jerry Schmidt
Cougar Kids Club

And Scott... I have a striped shirt, arm bands, and whistle you can use to officiate at this event as well. smile I wish I still had a kid who would benefit from wrestling in this tournament and getting every call made exactly right on your mat.

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy - 02/12/13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ram

Jerry Schmidt
Cougar Kids Club

Jerry.. .I am just trying to catch up with Chief for total posts, although I am about 7800 away... Yes I have been very opinionated lately mainly due to the frustration I have with some clubs in Kansas. (my next major topic will be satelite weigh ins and the epidemic of skin funk around the state) BTW.. I am just a peasant coach with Lawrence in my first year so take it easy on me ... I am weak and vulnerable and have nothing to do with decision making.

Not sure that I have ever mentioned parking or decibel levels but I will keep an eye out for those areas to critique for you Jerry. About the official that needs to retire.. most everyone who attends a tournament who is not legally blind would agree with me.. heck .. I have even spoken to other officails who agree... He simply has to go. (He was the official on Mat 8 in Salina everyone was talking about too btw) Working on a website currently for ranking Kansas officials so that tournament directors have an idea of who they should or shouldn't have working their tournaments.. stay tuned!!

I believe the tourney you are so anxiously awaiting is being planned... due to the club size in the past it wasn't feasable and now that we are growing and are taking your brackets from you Jerry... it now is. Thank you caller smile
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums