Kansas Wrestling

D4 championships.

Posted By: fabuloso

D4 championships. - 03/19/15 02:24 AM

N e 1 know when brackets will be up I see D2 is up but no one else's
Posted By: Bones1768

Re: D4 championships. - 03/19/15 02:30 AM

I was told that D3 would release theirs at 7:15 am on Saturday.
Posted By: Magnum811

Re: D4 championships. - 03/19/15 10:11 AM

D3 was released last night. Final brackets will be built after 7:15 Saturday morning.
Posted By: fabuloso

Re: D4 championships. - 03/19/15 01:56 PM

D4 was posted last night at 10pm
Posted By: bountyhunter

Re: D4 championships. - 03/21/15 08:33 PM

Not sure what is going on out there in Dodge, but the PM session still hasn't started at 4:30. Either really bad event management or a whole lot of overtime matches in the AM session. Too bad for those afternoon kids.
Posted By: lylegeyer

Re: D4 championships. - 03/21/15 09:49 PM

6 Pm and still have kids that haven't wrestled in district 4 and we have girl championships tomorrow as well 3 1/has away if this gets over in time.
Posted By: ath618

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 12:05 AM

Are they at least playing the NCAA Finals?
Posted By: jule

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 02:22 AM

Not sure what happened in Dodge those kids still are not done. 10:20 and they are still going at it. poor kids.
Posted By: jeremy sekavec

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 03:28 AM

There was a TON of really good matches today. Done of overtime matches. Nothing wrong with management. There were two issues that to be handled. Yes long day but so was maize. Overall not bad.
Posted By: Dadofthree2323

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 03:51 AM

Totally disagree poorly ran! Brackets supposed to follow format based on qualifying in bidistrict tournament and weren't. For instance know one bracket had kid that beat kid in north for 5th place wrestling the number 1 seed instead of 2 seed! Do to couple of scratches ended up being five man bracket with two byes, kid that got favorable draw backed into state tournament without a winning a match! When should have been kid that Placed ahead of him in bidistricts getting that spot???? At a loss maybe mr Edwards could clarify the reasoning??? Seems like kid got penalized for winning that last match at Bi districts. 14under 95
Posted By: Jeremy Smith

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 05:10 AM

Something went wrong! It's 10:30PM you got open mats nobody is wrestling on! Then the way they keep team points. Thumbs down from this former d3. Hats off to the officials and south sub district4 (pratt) gone by 3:30
Jeremy Smith ps I just got my kids home 1am
Posted By: Brent Lane

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 01:20 PM

8 total surfaces was not enough, not sure where they would have put more, but that's why things went so long, that and some very competitive brackets with not very many pins, made for a loooong day. We were thankful for the split format, even though we got home after midnight. What if we didn't have subs like district 2, might still be wrestling.

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 02:11 PM

First off dad of three forum rules are if you call someone out you to post your name. Second if you don't like the brackets contact the state cuz that is who ran the show on that. Mr smith welcome to D4. There have been many times we have gotten home from tournaments well after 11 pm some after 1 am. I am actually very disappointed with some coaches. The one that sticks out is an older gentleman from phillispurg. He made a complete jerk out of himself from the start.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent Lane
8 total surfaces was not enough, not sure where they would have put more, but that's why things went so long, that and some very competitive brackets with not very many pins, made for a loooong day. We were thankful for the split format, even though we got home after midnight. What if we didn't have subs like district 2, might still be wrestling.

The first thing a club/tournament director has to know is how many surfaces your facility will accommodate. The second and most elementary thing they should know is how many matches per hour they can run on one surface.
Posted By: Brent Lane

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: Brent Lane

The first thing a club/tournament director has to know is how many surfaces your facility will accommodate. The second and most elementary thing they should know is how many matches per hour they can run on one surface.

No disagreement here, like I said, not sure where they would have put more mats, maybe an earlier start would have been helpful.
Posted By: Teamroper

Re: D4 championships. - 03/22/15 10:41 PM

Well you have to remember it is western KS and they aren't used to alot of people....haha.

Yes it was very very long and tough on everyone. I know that even the DC folks didn't want this to turn out the way it did.

I am sure they will learn from it and hopefully share their learning to the state about how avoid this again.

Other than that it was pretty good, the refs had a very long hard day also and thought they did excellent given that some took off after the first session.

I hope they don't get a chance to work state, (the ones that left) sure it stunk but stick by your commitment and finish it out. It may not have made it go any faster but would have given other refs a few more breaks.

Thee were alot of great matches that didn't help it move any faster either. A injury and a long ejection in the HS room didn't help either.

I am not defending them totally but like I said I am sure that wasn't the outcome DC wanted either. I was there from 6:15am to 10:45 and our club worked a table so we felt the pain also.
Posted By: greendog

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 12:09 PM

I knew we were in trouble right away when I saw the number of bouts on each mat. If you run a split format you want to keep each mat under 60 bouts. I know mat 4 was in the upper 80's for bouts. There was no possible way to end that by 1:30. Mat 1 & 2 should have been 1/4 mats for the smaller 8 & unders. Mat 5 in the main gym should have been split into halves. Then there would have been 9 total mats instead of 7 (between both gyms).

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 02:25 PM

Dang greendog sounds like your an expert and should run things!!! I personally enjoyed the bigger mats. If they would have gone with the smaller mats, people would have been complaining about that. Honestly thought it went fine. Long yes but no major problems.
Posted By: CWB

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 07:40 PM

D3 had some small mats. I would rather have wrestle late than have little mats.

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 08:41 PM

I'm not sure why this is acceptable? My son had to wrestle the championship match at 10:45pm! How can your athlete or competitor be at their best at time! Personally its ridiculous. You knew the numbers coming into it. Plus the empty mat it took a hr to move matches to it!

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 08:54 PM

So jeremy you are telling your 12-14 child is asleep on a saturday night at 10:45 pm? I hope he does not go to big tournaments because its not uncommon to wrestle late.

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 09:23 PM

Look you have a complaint then call the man. Dont sit here on a talk forum complaining about it. Have the gull and call the man up.
Posted By: jule

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 09:31 PM

Jeremy I understand you are defending Dodge and all those involved but please. Yes my 15 year old is asleep by 10:45 on a Saturday night. He is an athlete and needs his sleep. If you have been in D4 for very long you know Dodge has a reputation for starting late. No I am not calling anyone out. One year it was track wrestling, one year referees carpooled and broke down another year started on time them main computer went down. They have a run of bad luck. I have been to big tournaments Hays, Salina, Battle of the Belt latest was 9:00pm. . They had some problems people will sound off about it. Hopefully they learn from it and make improvements for next time.

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 09:50 PM

I guess we got lucky last 8yrs! Always hit big tournament Salina, Hutchinson, (back when we had 1000 wrestlers!) Also my son is crashed every Saturday night by 9:00 or 10:00 the lasest, during wrestling season! I've helped hutch run their tournament all 8yrs! DC failed just own up to it. Competition was great it was just poorly ran. I'm sorry it is what it is. Good luck to everybody at state.

Jeremy Smith
Posted By: Beeson

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeremy Smith
I'm not sure why this is acceptable? My son had to wrestle the championship match at 10:45pm! How can your athlete or competitor be at their best at time! Personally its ridiculous. You knew the numbers coming into it. Plus the empty mat it took a hr to move matches to!👎

The other athlete had to compete at the same time. I'm so sorry your son HAD to wrestle in the championship match, you could have been one of the lucky ones that got beat out and HAD to go home early. I totally understand people being upset with a tournament running late. I'm sure everyone involved wished it would have went better. Constructive criticism is welcomed, whiney cry babies are just noise.

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 10:28 PM

Well beeson, as coach if my kid got beat out early, he would of been sitting in the stands with his street shoes on! If there's no noise the problem won't be fixed! Every year I would look on the talk forums to see where hutch could improve and never took negative feed back personal!

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 10:50 PM

I also stated my son and his competitor had to wrestle that late! Even a ref left early. Defend it all you want this is my opinion and I stand by it! If I had a solution I would sure offer it up! Maybe use the mat when it's matches have finished up.
Jeremy Smith. (620-200-3700),
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: D4 championships. - 03/23/15 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jeremy sekavec
Look you have a complaint then call the man. Dont sit here on a talk forum complaining about it. Have the gull and call the man up.

Personally I like,these type of complaints aired in public. Particularly as it relates to invitationals. It often tells me which tournaments I would or would not attend. I see no difference between this and restaurant reviews on any number of sites. In this case, the people saying "the competition was great", that dog won't hunt! The competiton would have been the same regardless of where the tournament was held.

Re: D4 championships. - 03/24/15 10:59 PM

I Jeremy Smith retract my statement about how the DC tournament was ran. Scott Edwards called me and explained the situation. I appreciate and respect that he did so! All I wanted was explanation and that's what I got. Thank you Scott Edwards!

Re: D4 championships. - 03/25/15 12:18 PM

Jeremy Smith i take back any harsh things i said about you. It takes a man with some character to give a public statement like you just did. Thank you for doing so!

Re: D4 championships. - 03/25/15 01:28 PM

I don't take back anything about Jeremy he is still a dipstick....lol

Let this be an example that maybe instead of being a key board tough guy having some personal communication with someone can still actually solve problems or issues.

Did anyone complaining talk to D4 director or the tournament director Saturday? Did they call him with their complaints? Did they ask if they could help in any way?

If they did then good for them, but I bet they were the minority.

Re: D4 championships. - 03/25/15 06:29 PM

Tracy I think after 500 post you should be banned from this forum... lol

Re: D4 championships. - 03/25/15 07:29 PM

I will make a new name like others have done on here, that way I can talk to myself....
Posted By: Lance Tucker

Re: D4 championships. - 03/25/15 07:52 PM

I can’t seem to post on the seats so thought I’d try here to make sure I still can. Dodge City did the best they could with the size of facility they have used for years in the past that had worked out fine for the # of matches previous to this year’s re zooning. Hind sight is always 20 20

Re: D4 championships. - 03/25/15 09:22 PM

Watch out Tracy I'll sick Mayfield on you! Just kidding, he is lucky none of us was around!
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums