Kansas Wrestling

District 1

Posted By: Hawks

District 1 - 01/09/17 03:05 AM

Can anyone tell me where districts for district 1 will be held. I am assuming they will not have sub districts again this year.
Thanks in advance
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: District 1 - 01/09/17 11:58 AM

Blue Valley Southwest
March 11th

Pretty sure
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: District 1 - 01/09/17 02:36 PM

where do we find the district alignments and locations of qualifying tournaments??

Thanks
Posted By: KMcCall

Re: District 1 - 01/09/17 05:53 PM

D1 Districts is March 11th at BVSW split session.

Flier will be out soon.

Re: District 1 - 01/09/17 06:02 PM

got it thanks
Posted By: BigBlue6

Re: District 1 - 01/09/17 07:31 PM

March 18th is the date not the 11th

my sources have informed me I don't know what I'm talking about, the date is indeed the 11th of March
Posted By: Brent Lane

Re: District 1 - 01/23/17 11:23 PM

Is the date the 11th or the 18th?
Posted By: KMcCall

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 02:23 AM

The tournament is the 11th.

It is on the calendar at that date and has been for quite some time.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 02:24 AM

One question. Why? or to be more specific, why a week early?

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 02:43 AM

*reaches in drawer for worm can opener*
*looks at worm can opener*
*puts worm can opener back in drawer*
*pushes away form the keyboard*

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 12:32 PM

So a follow up since I apparently am a dummy and didn't believe the earlier posts regarding the date. We are trying to understand why having districts a week early than the traditional date. Whose decision was this and what justification is there to host it early?
Posted By: Daniel DRW

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent Lane
So a follow up since I apparently am a dummy and didn't believe the earlier posts regarding the date. We are trying to understand why having districts a week early than the traditional date. Whose decision was this and what justification is there to host it early?

It's laying the groundwork to shorten the season and get rid of Sub's in the 2 districts that still have them.

*All statements are my opinion and don't represent anyone on the board!

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 01:21 PM

Just as an FYI for context Iowa's kids state is this weekend

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BigBlue6
Just as an FYI for context Iowa's kids state is this weekend

When do they start their season?

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 01:33 PM

well in November, there are a number of moving parts that play into this, ie a more robust middle school program than we have etc, but yeah this weekend, its on track

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Daniel DRW
Originally Posted By: Brent Lane

It's laying the groundwork to shorten the season and get rid of Sub's in the 2 districts that still have them.

*All statements are my opinion and don't represent anyone on the board!

I would argue that moving the district date to the sub-districts in no way shortens the season and creates conflict for others who, for example, plan to host a tournament, or take the weekend off before the grind of districts and sub-districts. Was this a district decision? Or...?

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 01:49 PM

here are the rest of our neighbors State Tourney dates:
Nebraska 1st - 6th grade Sat March 18th pre-K, 7-8, HS and girls Sunday March 19th
Missouri same as us this year March 25-26
Oklahoma Feb 10-11
Arkansas February 4-5

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 02:10 PM

here are the rest of our neighbors State Tourney dates:
Nebraska 1st - 6th grade Sat March 18th pre-K, 7-8, HS and girls Sunday March 19th
Missouri same as us this year March 25-26
Oklahoma Feb 10-11
Arkansas February 4-5

I am not arguing for or against shortening the season. My concern is the apparent move a district date, that has traditionally been a week later, without so much as a discussion. Did someone make that decision? Linn County has a tournament schedule for that day. Other sub-districts close by are taking place. It just makes no sense to have a district, take a week off, then go into state with the thought, we are trying to shorten our season.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 02:14 PM

Brent I would say that you need to talk to Joe, I would assume that was voted on at the District meeting. Joe is not one to make decisions without the body talking.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Daniel DRW
Brent I would say that you need to talk to Joe, I would assume that was voted on at the District meeting. Joe is not one to make decisions without the body talking.

Our club does not recall the discussion of a date.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 04:20 PM

It was decided at the district meeting. As long as we are throwing pros and cons out--the Middle School Qualifier (which has weights different than our state) is the next day, however it does afford wrestlers from districts 1 and 2 to attend Rocky Mountain Nationals which is the 17th-19th.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 04:24 PM

last year (we also didn't have a sub-district last year) it was the weekend before state in its "normal" spot. I'm afraid this discussion is moot at this point for this year as preparations no doubt have been made at the host school. My biggest concern is District 3 and 4 will know going into their district tournament the potential first round pairings at state and take advantage of that information frown

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 04:28 PM

Coincidentally enough the first round pairings this year at state are D1 v. D3 and D2 v. D4 Soooo lets say wrestler X, the first seed in district 1's bracket Z has the flu and is upset twice and qualifies (barely) in 4th place. if I am the 1st seed in bracket Z of District 3 I know if I get 1st I will have a stud (now recovered from the flu) in the first round at state and can tank in the final to avoid him/her.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 04:33 PM

Are there some notes on the discussion somewhere, I would like to see them.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 04:52 PM

the minutes don't appear to be posted on the site from the latest meeting

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 08:19 PM

There are some issues with this, nobody that I have spoken with seems to recall a conversation of a date or the reason. One person said it allows "most" people to have their spring break, which I am fine with. My issues, and I don't want to let this one go, is it seems this decision was made behind closed doors. It is not as someone says a moot point. Can anyone say they had the discussion of when the tournament would be held and who all was in favor of it? If so, speak up please.
Posted By: creach boys

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 08:19 PM

So you said this is laying the ground work to shorten the season by getting rid of sub districts where they still have them. Sounds like the two bigger districts are trying to force there will on the two smaller districts. Just my perception. I think by not making this a state body decision you are opening Pandora's box with kids wrestling out of there own districts more for convenience. Kids already do this some but I think it will get worse and water down the competition more. I am from Abilene and would love to wrestle at smokeyvalley both days, but we live in D1.

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 08:27 PM

what do you mean by "kids wrestling out of their own districts"??

Re: District 1 - 01/24/17 08:37 PM

The 1st thing I would say is talk directly to Joe. He is and always has been a straight shooter. Since I'm not in D1 anymore I can't speak to how or what happened directly.

As for kids entering into a different qualifying tournament I don't see that as an issue. The by laws prevent a wrestler from entering in more than one and unless they change their club affiliation they have to wrestle with their chartered club. If there are kids already doing it I feel fairly confident in saying that if it was reported to the District director, Mark, Matt or Mike it would be handled appropriately.

I have made it no secret that I believe a small group is making decisions for the majority but until the majority shows up at the state body meeting willing to make a decsion that is what will continue to happen. That has been the problem for the past couple years, not enough show up and many don't want to make a decsion which then forces the small group to make one.

We can't just continue to argue about it on here, we have to show up in force and be willing to talk about it, make compromises and then a decsion.

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 01:12 PM

First off after talking to joe there are no bylaws preventing a kid from entering a different qualifying series. What I mean is kids entering a different series to improve there chances to get to state in a better sead.

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 01:56 PM

As usual Joe is spot on, I went back and re-read what I was looking at and I didn't read it correctly.

Maybe that is something we should get added in there, granted we should all be on the same date so the problem isn't there but until that time.......

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 03:48 PM

NCAA Division 1 National Championships are March 16-18. I guess we can go to that now. Still doesn't seem right, but it is what it is.

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 04:46 PM

Exactly Daniel because we are one of our own by scheduling our district tournament where we did after they had scheduled there fundraising tournament. I personally think this is wrong and disrespectful of those kids and there club.

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 05:23 PM

So a kid who resides in District 1 can wrestle in a different District to qualify for state???

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 06:20 PM

So a kid who resides in District 1 can wrestle in a different District to qualify for state???

YES Sir - if their club would sign them up that way - I thought you had to sign up through your club
Posted By: jeremy sekavec

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 06:46 PM

That is the biggest load of crap!!! Any good wrestler would not take a match. And honestly there are studs in all four districts

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 06:49 PM

Last i checked you can not wrestle outside your district to qualify for state. The decisions of the few is pushing this drive and frankly people are getting pissed. Eventually people are going to get tired of it and say to hell with this and quit or bring in AAU and tell USA to take a leap.

Re: District 1 - 01/25/17 07:13 PM

*thinks to self: how the hell did they find my worm can opener's hiding spot?!?*
Posted By: Tungjaroenkul

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 05:36 AM

Hypothetical.... what I believe is being implied is, a kid that physically lives in district 3 but signs up/practices/competes with a district 1 club ..... so which district are they supposed to qualify in? Where their club is registered, Or their physical resident?

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 12:33 PM

you may qualify for state in any district of your choosing but if for instance you chose to qualify in one that had a subdistrict you would have to also of course first qualify for district by placing top 4 in the sub as usual. there is no bylaw forcing a wrestler to qualify in the district of his/her residence/residence of their affiliated club so yeah you can enter and qualify in the district of your choosing

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 05:18 PM

That's why you leave the dates alone and make this whole thing a state decision! Both district 1&2 are having early district tournaments as was said earlier to set the stage to eliminate subs, the elimination of subs is fine in YOUR district but we don't have the right to tell another district what to do. Ask your high school coaches how this would go if not all regionals were held the same weekend. In short if you want subs eliminated make it a state decision not a district decision.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 05:44 PM

[quote][/quote]
Originally Posted By: creach boys
That's why you leave the dates alone and make this whole thing a state decision! Both district 1&2 are having early district tournaments as was said earlier to set the stage to eliminate subs, the elimination of subs is fine in YOUR district but we don't have the right to tell another district what to do. Ask your high school coaches how this would go if not all regionals were held the same weekend. In short if you want subs eliminated make it a state decision not a district decision.

To date nobody in this thread has presented a good reason for all districts to hold subs or to be on the same dates.

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 05:59 PM

well for one (as stated earlier in this thread) having your district later than another grants an exploitable competitive advantage

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 06:05 PM

James why are all high school reginals held at the same time? If you want the season done earlier move state to the end of February and everyone has spring brake off. Eliminate the high school series and bring in the 6u. We charge the 6u the same price as everyone else but don't recognize them. You only get a small percentage of high schoolers anyway. All I'm saying is all district tournaments should be held at the same time and to shorten the season should be done at the state level and not decided by the big kids on the block.

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 06:24 PM

well for one (as stated earlier in this thread) having your district later than another grants an exploitable competitive advantage

That is much ado about nothing. You won't see it abused. As a member of D2, we invite all other districts to come try us on.

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 06:26 PM

You didn't answer my question " Why are all high school regionals held at the same time?"
Posted By: CWB

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 07:14 PM

So they do not drop matches creach boys. I know A number of guys that would make there kids flop a match to get on A difrant side of the bracket. I know some that have forfeited matches ,so they did not see a kid till going for 1st. Knowing where the kids will be will in the bracket will up that 10 fold. Just think how messed up Tulsa would be.People are nuts.

Charles Bradford

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 07:27 PM

You didn't answer my question " Why are all high school regionals held at the same time?"

Because they are under time constraints which we don't have. This much you can be sure of, it's not to prevent one kid having an advantage. They are required to wrestle with their school in an assigned regional.

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 07:37 PM

I think your wrong just because your son doesn't run doesn't mean others don't. You have been around this sport long enough to know how the track meet works and who the track stars are.

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: sportsfan02

Because they are under time constraints which we don't have. This much you can be sure of, it's not to prevent one kid having an advantage. They are required to wrestle with their school in an assigned regional.

Actually it does have to do with preventing an advantage. That has been an open discussion for some time and I would have to go back and look at the handbook sent to teams hosting Regional tournaments but if I recall correctly when we hosted it said you had to have permission from KSHAA to modify the time schedule. They don't want someone at another regional looking on track and then altering the outcome of their placement if it fits them better at state.

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 08:12 PM

There is one way to get everyone on the same sheet.....

State Body Meeting....We have to show up in force and be willing to talk about it, make compromises and then a decsion.

I'm all about all the conversations happening here but if those ideas/concerns are not taken to the body with enough people in attendance to vote it's all for not. The board will continue to make the choices they determine best for the sport because the body can't put enough people together outside the talk forums to make a change.

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 08:51 PM

Daniel can individuals go to the meeting? If so how do they find out when, where,& what time?

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 08:54 PM

I think your wrong just because your son doesn't run doesn't mean others don't. You have been around this sport long enough to know how the track meet works and who the track stars are.

Then there should be some evidence of it?

Re: District 1 - 01/26/17 08:55 PM

Daniel can individuals go to the meeting? If so how do they find out when, where,& what time?

Anyone can attend but only one person per chartered club gets a vote. Dates are always posted on USAWKS page and Mike sends a email to all directors. Typically second weekend in October.
Posted By: jcchristenson

Re: District 1 - 01/27/17 02:09 PM

I love the date! Two reasons:

1) It allows true wrestling fans the opportunity to take their kids to the NCAAs in St. Louis on the 18th. It is a heck of an experience and creates lifelong memories for our young athletes.

2) It allows female wrestlers to attend the State Girls competition at McPherson without a scheduling conflict.

Just my thoughts.

Re: District 1 - 01/27/17 02:23 PM

the date is great for all the reasons mentioned what isn't great is D1 and D2's district date is a week before D3 and D4's. The state bylaws give no direction regarding the timing of the 4 tournaments which seems in retrospect to be a byproduct of the time when all 4 districts did things the same way ie subs 2 weeks out then districts then state. Now that we are aware of the drawbacks of tinkering with the system that area of the bylaws needs to be addressed

Re: District 1 - 01/27/17 03:07 PM

The State Body meeting was moved up or earlier this year, the district meeting was held the morning before the state body meeting - so a lot of things were different this year compared to the previous 20 plus years I have been involved. Feedback to the board is less since the consolidation of the Kids Board and the Corporate board - number of volunteers are shrinking, over all kids numbers are down, expenditures are up, etc.

Re: District 1 - 01/29/17 01:28 AM

CWB I knew the answer to my question just wanted to hear sports fans answer and as of now don't see one. You gave the answer just wanted someone else to give it.

Re: District 1 - 01/29/17 05:03 AM

CWB I knew the answer to my question just wanted to hear sports fans answer and as of now don't see one. You gave the answer just wanted someone else to give it.

I don't even see a question and certainly not one directed to me!

Re: District 1 - 01/29/17 02:21 PM

Why are all high school regionals held at the same time?? Sportsfan

Re: District 1 - 01/29/17 02:24 PM

I answered that!

Re: District 1 - 02/03/17 10:31 AM

Has any one confirmed March 11th?
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: District 1 - 02/03/17 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: KMcCall
D1 Districts is March 11th at BVSW split session.

Flier will be out soon.

I am pretty sure this confirms it.

As far as all of the discussion is concerned... District 4 doesn't come close to having enough participants to justify having subs and districts but they vote to do so. That is their decision. District 3 has more members but could easily forgo subs as well. CHANGE is always a tough pill to swallow. I do know this "Because we have always done it that way..." is the beginning to the end of any organization... Hats off to D1 and D2 for listening to their members.

Each year there is an election and each year almost EVERYONE on the board is reelected uncontested. If you think you know the constituency better then run for office don't just lob cheap shots with lame posts on the forum. This is a volunteer based organization and the board members GIVE a ton of time and attention to the sport. No one is perfect and there is not a decision that will please everyone but the board does act in the best interest of Kansas Wrestling based on the information we have to work with.

Re: District 1 - 02/06/17 05:42 PM

Will you say hats off for listening to the members, right? If you listen to the members why was it not put to a vote in either district 1 or 2 meetings? Just a question I have not heard anyone answer yet. If the members want this why was it not done the right way? I understand why some want the season shorter so why not do it at the state level so everyone is the same? Just some questions that nobody has given a legitimate answer to.

Let the track meet begin!!

Re: District 1 - 02/06/17 07:20 PM

Will you say hats off for listening to the members, right? If you listen to the members why was it not put to a vote in either district 1 or 2 meetings? Just a question I have not heard anyone answer yet. If the members want this why was it not done the right way? I understand why some want the season shorter so why not do it at the state level so everyone is the same? Just some questions that nobody has given a legitimate answer to.

Let the track meet begin!!

It was put to a vote in D2!

Re: District 1 - 02/06/17 08:43 PM

i believe it was put to a vote also in District 4. With the state committee extending the district lines to where District 4 covers half the state, it is pretty hard to find a location that will fit for everyone. It would not be right to expect Concordia to drive to Garden City every year or Pratt to go to Goodland. The only location that truly fit would be Gross Memorial in Hays. But that presents a problem unto its on trying to get that reserved each year. That is why subs still happen. And as far as numbers, District 4, NO MATTER how big you make it will ever meet the numbers of District 1 unless you use the lines Brian Mannel and i figured out back in October and posted on the forum.

Re: District 1 - 02/06/17 09:09 PM

and subs or no subs in district 4 the location should probably rotate so that one side of the district isnt always getting screwed...however that is not the issue on this thread, at least originally...the issue is ALL DISTRICT TOURNAMENTS (1, 2, 3 and 4) SHOULD BE ON THE SAME DAY, ALWAYS. This year that is not the case and that is a problem from a competitive integrity standpoint and District 1 did not get a say from its members on a date and District 2, though they did vote on their date should not have been allowed to have the district tournament on the day they chose because the state bylaws shouldn't allow district tournaments on different dates.
Posted By: ath618

Re: District 1 - 02/07/17 01:15 AM

I have been at the state and district meetings for a few years. When district 1 decided to eliminate sub districts there was a vote to do so. When we voted it was to eliminate subs and have a down week. At NO time was it ever discussed to move districts up a week. It was not voted on to move districts this year and should not be allowed to be moved without the MAJORITY of clubs in the district voting on it. This is not fair to the other districts that have subs and that was the reason we voted to have a open date.
If you want to move districts up a week then bring it up at a district meeting for a vote. You alone can not move a date because it better suits you.
Posted By: KC Sportsmom

Re: District 1 - 02/07/17 03:47 AM

ARTICLE 2
1) Qualifying Folkstyle tournaments are tournaments that are used to qualify or are in a series of
tournaments that could advance a wrestler to the State level of competition, including the state
tournament itself. Qualifying tournaments are subject to all sanctioned tournament rules in
the preceding Part A, except where those rules have been modified or expanded under this
Part B.
(14) State Tournament dates shall be set by the corporate board subject to approval by the state body

THE PROPOSED CHANGED DATE FOR THE DISTRICT TOURNAMENT IS 33 DAYS AWAY. WHY HAS NO RESPONSIBLE PARTY WITH THE TOURNAMENT'S GOVERNING BODY THAT GOVERNS THIS SPECIFIC DATE ASSIGNMENT MADE ANY ATTEMPT TO UPDATE THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP LINK ON THE USAWKS WEBSITE?

ARTICLE 2 OBJECTIVES (5) To provide channels of communication within Kansas...

APPARENTLY SOMEONE FORGOT OBJECTIVE #5!

THERE HAS BEEN A BREAKDOWN IN COMMUNICATION. SOMEONE NEEDS TO STEP UP AND DO THEIR JOB AS IT IS SAD WHEN ONE HAS TO READ THROUGH 7 PAGES OF RANTING ON THE FORUM TO TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHEN STATE QUALIFYING TOURNAMENT IS IN DISTRICT 1. A CHANGE WOULD BE MUCH BETTER RECEIVED IF COMMUNICATION WAS CLEAR.

Re: District 1 - 02/07/17 06:34 AM

This is listed under "events" in March on this website. I will look on Trackwrestling for the flier or you can call the listed contact person for more details.

District 1 Championships
8:00am CST - 5:00pm CST, March 11th, 2017 Ical event icon
Blue Valley Southwest High School
March 11, 2017

17600 Quivira Road
Overland Park, KS 66062

Southwest Timberwolves Kids
Kevin McCall
913-428-6969
1kevinmccall@gmail.com

Re: District 1 - 02/07/17 07:09 AM

Trackwrestling did not have any of the subdistrict or district Kansas USA Wrestling State qualifiers dates or fliers available yet for Kansas USA Wrestling. I just looked. It had Middle School "State" which is AAU wrestle offs for dual teams - did our USA WKS state body officially ok and vote to call and have another Kansas Middle School "State" or is it suppose to be just be a Middle School Championship Wrestle off for traveling teams. I know schoolboy duals, cadet duals, and junior duals are USA wrestling events. Anything outside USA KS events should be Pay to Play and not subsidized by 96 -98 percent of the membership. Just another opinion.
Posted By: nmatthews

Re: District 1 - 02/07/17 01:19 PM

I can't find any information on the date & location on the D2 district tournament, anyone have the details they could share?

Re: District 1 - 02/07/17 01:22 PM

^^^^??? AAU ^^^^^ Heartland Duals are not an AAU event and are something KS Youth wrestling has attended for a number of years now, they ARE a USA Wrestling sanctioned tournament and I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise and that issue wouldn't belong in this thread even if it was real

Re: District 1 - 02/07/17 01:23 PM

which it most certainly is not
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums