Kansas Wrestling

Western Kansas Classic - feedback

Posted By: L.Geyer

Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/05/17 05:27 PM

Myself personally and the Hays Wrestling Club would like to thank all the wrestlers, coaches fans, official, and volunteers that attended our 2017 Western Kansas Classic. We feel this continues to be a top notch tournament for compitition in Western Kansas. And this year was definitely no different. There were some very talented wrestlers representing their clubs from across the state. We had just shy of 900 wrestlers, ran 16 wrestling surfaces With the last match completed at 3:05PM. This made for fun action packed day for our thousands of fans that were in attendance.

As always there are things we can improve on. We would like to hear feedback from the wrestlers, coaches, and fans on what they feel we should look at changing or adjusting in the future to ensure this tournament continues to grow in all areas.

Once again THANK YOU to all the wrestlers, coaches, officials fans, and volunteers that attended the 2017 Western Kansas Classic.

Hays Wrestling Club
Posted By: Bassman

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/05/17 07:14 PM

One of the most smoothly run tournaments. You guys put in lots of effort, and it shows in the way the tournament is ran. Starts on time, moving matches when a mat is finished, always finished with lots of daylight left. Hospitality room was great also. Not going to complain because everything is like clock work, but it does get crowded around the mats with parents being down there. With the venue, it would be extremely hard to keep everyone except coaches out though. Fun tournament and we will be back next year. Thank you to the Hays Wrestling Club for an enjoyable tournament.

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/05/17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassman
One of the most smoothly run tournaments. You guys put in lots of effort, and it shows in the way the tournament is ran. Starts on time, moving matches when a mat is finished, always finished with lots of daylight left. Hospitality room was great also. Not going to complain because everything is like clock work, but it does get crowded around the mats with parents being down there. With the venue, it would be extremely hard to keep everyone except coaches out though. Fun tournament and we will be back next year. Thank you to the Hays Wrestling Club for an enjoyable tournament.

Thank you for the positive feedback. We have a few thoughts on some things we would like to try next year as far as minimizing the crowd matside. Some of the ideas will depend on approval from FHSU.

See you next year.
Posted By: jziegler

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/06/17 10:48 AM

This was our first year to this tournament. When I heard how many kids where there I was thinking we were going to be done 4-5 or later. Everything was ran great and we were done by 2. I know you addressed the mat size in the meeting, my only small complaint is on the mat size. The 12U bigger kids needed a bigger mat. To many out of bounds calls quick. We will come back next year. Great tournament
Posted By: Coach Samson

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/06/17 01:25 PM

Great job once again.

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/06/17 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: jziegler
This was our first year to this tournament. When I heard how many kids where there I was thinking we were going to be done 4-5 or later. Everything was ran great and we were done by 2. I know you addressed the mat size in the meeting, my only small complaint is on the mat size. The 12U bigger kids needed a bigger mat. To many out of bounds calls quick. We will come back next year. Great tournament

Thank you for the feedback. Yes the mat size for the bigger 12U kids is something I noticed as well. We will definitely be looking into ways to help with this.

See you next year!!!!
Posted By: jeremy sekavec

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/06/17 02:40 PM

Great tournament again Hays. Great wrestling and the pace was awesome. 800 kids and done by 3. The mat sizes was the biggest thing i noticed. The young officials did an overall a good job. Made some mistakes and missed some stuff but that comes with time and matches done. Keep up the great work
Posted By: graplemonkey

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/06/17 03:06 PM

Already been said but great tourney, ran well, will be back. Not a complaint but would recommend the change in mat sizes discussed. Only real complaint I would have had would be on the crowd control mat side. If this tourney had managed the floor traffic I would believe it was the best ran tourney this season we attended! Started promptly, finished quickly, hospitality room. Hats off to the Hays Wrestling Club!
Posted By: EmbracetheGrind

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/06/17 08:50 PM

First time going to this tournament and loved it. Great job! My only negative feedback would be the congestion mat side by parents, etc., but you've mentioned awareness of that. Otherwise, very smooth and enjoyed our time there.
Posted By: doug747

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/06/17 09:23 PM

Do the referees complain about the location of the clocks? I would think they would want them close to the tables so they could see if the clock had been reset between periods, check the score, etc., without looking behind them, and finding the correct clock for their mat. Having all of the cabling run down the middle I'm sure is the reason, but I would like to have the clocks at the tables.
We were done by 2:30, home by 6:00 after stopping to eat and a 2:45 drive home.
Posted By: Buster84

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/07/17 12:10 AM

Very impressed with the way this tournament was run! The plaques were a nice touch. Thank you for an enjoyable day!
Posted By: sugar80

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/07/17 01:11 AM

Best hospitality room in the state. Awesome Tournament again guys!

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/07/17 01:30 PM

Thank you to everyone for the positive feedback from our tournament. As well as thank you for the feedback on what needs to be addressed in the future. I believe I have responded in regards to the mat sizes for the bigger kids as well crowd control. We are brainstorming on ways to make this better. Doug mentioned the clocks being by the tables. This discussion comes up yearly in our tournament preparation meetings and I believe it has to do with our ability to hardwire everything in to prevent the tournament from shutting down. I can honestly say I don't mess with this part of the tournament, as we have a few guys who do all the wiring. I will take this recommendation to them as well. Once again thank you for all the positive feedback and hope to see all of you back next year plus some of your teammates.

Hays Wrestling Club
Posted By: Bassman

Re: Western Kansas Classic - feedback - 03/07/17 03:01 PM

I wouldn't change clock position unless the officials came to you with complaints. The positioning of the clocks, except for mats 1-4 give everyone a good view for match number and score. That's a fan/coach's prospective. If official's have issues, yes move them, if not, leave them. My thoughts.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums