Kansas Wrestling

STA move in?

Posted By: Chief Renegade

STA move in? - 11/21/09 12:28 AM

Is it official that Eric Mason is enrolled at STA?
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: STA move in? - 11/21/09 04:45 AM

STA jumping into the move in race! Andover Central still in the lead. Abilene with a good one. STA is now on the board!

Re: STA move in? - 11/21/09 04:45 AM

After last night's spanking the Saint's football coach is probably happy to hear of Eric's arrival as well.
Posted By: Brent Lane

Re: STA move in? - 11/22/09 12:50 PM

So, how did it happen that Mason moved to Overland Park from Caney?
Posted By: nastyway

Re: STA move in? - 11/22/09 03:55 PM

sta always has kids come in that shouldnt be there but they usually never win state so keep cheating it never works very offten. you will always be second string to bishop carrol

Re: STA move in? - 11/22/09 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: nastyway
sta always has kids come in that shouldnt be there but they usually never win state so keep cheating it never works very offten. you will always be second string to bishop carrol

Let me guess, you are a teenager!
Posted By: kshawk

Re: STA move in? - 11/22/09 06:22 PM

recruiting

Re: STA move in? - 11/22/09 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kshawk
recruiting

If a guy changes jobs and is moving to town, whom among us would not want his son to wrestle at our school? This "recruiting" label is a joke.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: STA move in? - 11/22/09 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
If a guy changes jobs and is moving to town, whom among us would not want his son to wrestle at our school? This "recruiting" label is a joke.
Eric:
When did STA become your school? As I recall, last wrestling season (2008/2009) your son, a Junior, wrestled for the SME Lancers, qualifying for the 6A State Tournament at the 145 lb. weight classification and compiling a very respectable 19 W and 8 L season.

Were you not on the Lancer coaching staff as an assistant last season?
Posted By: BLT

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 12:52 AM

Congrats Eric M!!!

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: RichardDSalyer
Eric:
When did STA become your school? As I recall, last wrestling season (2008/2009) your son, a Junior, wrestled for the SME Lancers, qualifying for the 6A State Tournament at the 145 lb. weight classification and compiling a very respectable 19 W and 8 L season.

Were you not on the Lancer coaching staff as an assistant last season?

Richard,
What difference does it make. It isn't my school either but the continual accusations of recruiting tarnish this sport as whole. Why are you bothered that Eric defends STA? EVERY parent who improves the opportunity for their offspring to get a better education and/or extracurricular situation shoud be applauded. If you have a personal axe to grind with The Chief, keep it to a PM.

Hats off to John Mason for doing what he felt was best for his son.

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Brent Lane
So, how did it happen that Mason moved to Overland Park from Caney?

I will have to check with John but it could have been Budget Truck Rental, Hertz, maybe Mayflower, just guessing. Could have been Two Men and Truck or perhaps they just borrowed a trailer and moved with a pickup truck. Just a hunch but I am pretty sure it was over-the-road and there was no air freight involved.

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 06:29 AM

Whatever you say Chief. Happens in other sports as well.

I only wish the best for all of the Mason family. If this is best, then it is what they should do.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Richard,
What difference does it make.
Public schools are "our" schools and private schools are not "ours". Catholic schools are private schools, and by Baptism shortly after birth, I am Catholic. I take offense to non-Catholics claiming "our" schools. As you well know, there is a considerable sacrifice on the part of many parents choosing to send their children to private schools.

Richard,
It isn't my school either but the continual accusations of recruiting tarnish this sport as whole. Why are you bothered that Eric defends STA?
I am not bothered that anyone would choose to defend STA. The record will reflect I was a defender of STA several years ago on this fourm when recruiting charges were raised.

Richard,
If you have a personal axe to grind with The Chief, keep it to a PM.
Since I do not generally respond to PM's from this board I can not follow your order.

Richard,
Hats off to John Mason for doing what he felt was best for his 'son.
I too wish the Mason's the best.

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 12:03 PM

Richard,
What difference does it make.
Public schools are "our" schools and private schools are not "ours". Catholic schools are private schools, and by Baptism shortly after birth, I am Catholic. I take offense to non-Catholics claiming "our" schools. As you well know, there is a considerable sacrifice on the part of many parents choosing to send their children to private schools.

Richard,

I think you misunderstood his statement. He meant, Woudln't ANYONE want Eric Mason to attend THEIR school. In other words, promoting your school to a prospective student to attend there. Specifically, Eric was stating that he would have liked to have had Eric Mason attend SME.

Promoting and recruiting are not the same thing. (Not that you were saying they were Richard, just making an additional point.)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted By: back in the day

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 01:06 PM

I would assume that Eric was using "our" in a general sense.
in other words "It would be nice to have a stud move into our community". But in true Richard form - I will let Eric explain his statement rather than put words into his mouth.
Posted By: badbo

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 01:31 PM

I think what Eric Johnson was saying was we would all welcome a kid if they moved to our school (whatever that school is), so we are pretty hypocritical to talk about another school who takes him. I wish he would have moved to Lansing, we would have taken him. Heck any of you would. Now if something was done unethical to get him there, that is another conversation. But it sounds like the guy got a better job, moved to KC and found what he believed to be the best opportunity for his son. The fact that anybody agrees with it or not does not really matter.

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 01:59 PM

Public schools are "our" schools and private schools are not "ours". Catholic schools are private schools, and by Baptism shortly after birth, I am Catholic. I take offense to non-Catholics claiming "our" schools.

The "our" I was speaking of are the respective schools of the Kansas wrestling community. I wonder how many people spit orange juice out of their nose this morning when they read your comment about being offended by that Richard! Do you also object heavily at the Kid's council meetings when "our schools" are mentioned? When I am speaking about OUR wrestlers in Kansas, am I able to mention OUR private school athletes?

I would be glad to talk with you personally about the irreconcilable differences between catholics and protestants.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 03:06 PM

I would be glad to talk with you personally about the irreconcilable differences between catholics and protestants.

Nah I don't think you would!

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 03:26 PM

Call me at 913-484-3624. That's my cell phone and I will talk with you also Greg.
Posted By: dadofhwt

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 06:58 PM

wow been a while since i have been on here due to moving and getting my kids enrolled and also the fact that we haven't had internet
yes i accepted a job in kansas city ,mo with better pay and more room for advancement
for everyone that is interseted my first inquiry was with coach eaenesty from park hill but after talking it over with eric we decided it was not the place for him and one of the reasons was due the the fact he still wanted to compete for team kansas during the summer. the reason we chose sta was simple last yrs class had 100% graduation rate and the vast majority went on to college with accademic an/or athletic scholarships
anyone that thinks i am doing something for any other reason then what is best for me and my kids doesnt know me at all.

john mason 620 719-8054

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 07:16 PM

Well said John!
Posted By: badbo

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 07:43 PM

Not that I think either place did anything wrong but how come there was not 2-3 pages of people questioning the move-ins to Andover Central? Both were legit. I am glad for both of them but why does STA get all the scrutiny, and Andover Central not a word was said? Just a thought.

More power to the Bontz's, the Mason's or anyone else who works for the betterment of thier kids. We don't know their situation and it's none of our business. Good luck to all this year. Let's wrestle.

Posted By: in it to win it

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 07:58 PM

Very well Stated John!

Best of luck to you and the family!
We will miss you matching up with the Cardinal Wrestlers!

I'm glad Eric decided to stay with Kansas! It's been fun seeing Eric grow and mature into a much improved wrestler!
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: STA move in? - 11/23/09 09:31 PM

My son wrestled for the STA Kids Wrestling program for five years. We were fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful group of individuals. Their club is, without a doubt, a model of what the Kansas Kids Wrestling Federation would want their clubs to be. I am positive that their high school program carries the same standards of excellence that their club program does. If my family were to move to the KC area, we wouldn't hesitate to enroll in their high school. Good luck wrestling for STA Eric. Your family has made an excellent choice.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 12:01 AM

John:

My son just graduated last year from Aquinas. I think you made an excellent choice for both the academic and wrestling program.

Welcome to the Aquinas wrestling community!
Posted By: back in the day

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 02:47 PM

Old prejudices die hard. Used to be we could hate STA, BC, SJA or any private school because they were the only ones who could cross district or state lines to find students.

Those days are over. A student in Olathe can attend any school in Olathe. Then you get the students who are doing on line school and only taking one class at the brick and mortar school.

I still enjoy it when a public school beats a private school. (Gardner/Edgerton 49-7 over STA)
But the lines are blurred these days.

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 05:10 PM

fo

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 06:14 PM

Watch him place this year. I predict a finals appearance!

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 09:53 PM

fo
Posted By: KC Sportsmom

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 10:32 PM

I can understand why individuals are attracted to Aquinas with a 99% graduation into college rate. ( One wrestler entered the Marines directly a few years back.) Plus a high percentage of their wrestlers go on to wrestle at all levels in college: Nowak, Henes, Mc Carthy, Hurla, Scott, the Markeys, Mamie,the Cispers,and Conaghan. I'm sure there are a few more accidentally not include. Not to mention, the two team state championships in the last five years. Everyone knows that the secret to building the high school team is through the kids club's success. Other STA kids club wrestlers at other schools currently ranked are Zach Tanenbaum, Ross Whitmore, and Trip Hiller. STA/Aquinas wrestling is a family, no matter what high school you attend.

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 11:01 PM

Some of the best STA Wrestlers were developed in the East Kansas Wrestling Club. For years the East Kansas Wrestling Club was a magnet for elite level competitors. Coach Klemm and his staff (Tom Budd and others) continually developed kids into top notch competitors. Coach John Akin started this club and the tradition continued until it was interrupted by Coach Klemm's departure for Stanford University. Eric Akin and Travis Phippen have resurrected the East Kansas Club as the last few carry overs are about to graduate (Parker Madl, Zach Tanenbaum, Ryne Cokeley, and few others). Since Kevin Klemm's departure there has been a void. The single site grind room for those who are hard core and want to sharpen steel with steel. Eric & Travis hope to recreate this environment with a year round training regime at one of the BEST wreslting facilities in the state. They now offer the full gamet of training opportunities (novice, intermediate, elite, freestyle, and Greco). Come to St. James Academy nearly any night of the week where you will find former Division 1 wrestlers molding our youths into Kansas' future champions.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: STA move in? - 11/24/09 11:32 PM

There have been a lot of inquiries regarding the wrestling club. We will begin practice the Monday after Thanksgiving, 6:30 to 8:00. We will also practice at the same time on Wednesday and Thursday of that week. After that week, we will break into Novice and Open practice.

I have started a new website, still a work in progress. But there you can find the STA flyer as well as medical waiver forms. It would help greatly if these are completed prior to the first practice. Here is the link http://www.eteamz.com/stawrestlingclub/

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling

Re: STA move in? - 11/25/09 12:04 AM

Thanks for that wealth of info cokeley
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: STA move in? - 11/25/09 01:44 AM

"Other STA kids club wrestlers at other schools currently ranked are Zach Tanenbaum, Ross Whitmore, and Trip Hiller. STA/Aquinas wrestling is a family, no matter what high school you attend."

KC Sportsmom,

You are right on point, STA is a family. I really enjoyed watching Zach and Ross go at it in practice. It was like watching two interlocked tumbleweeds rolling across the plains of Kansas. Although I will remember these two quality wrestlers pushing each other to the limits of their abilities, the thing that I will remember most is how much class they showed off the mat. Best of luck to both of you this season and in the years ahead.
Posted By: Red Corn

Re: STA move in? - 11/25/09 02:17 AM

I don't post on here often. But I do feel the need to post specifically in the name of the STA kids club. I just want to say that STA Kids Wrestling has changed my life. I along with all of my brothers, were (and still feel as though we are) part of the the STA family that has been created through the kids club. Sean McCarthy has been a LIFELONG inspiration to me and nothing but a class act role model in every way that you could imagine. I graduated from Shawnee Mission NW, and now I coach at SM West. If i get the opportunity to get an STA kids wrestler, I would love it. Thats all I have to say.
Posted By: wrestlingmom

Re: STA move in? - 11/25/09 11:58 AM

I appreciate all the positive comments about our wrestling club...you don't know how much I needed to see/hear it right now.

And for all those families/wrestlers that have helped our club throughout the years, regardless of their high school or club affiliation THANK YOU! You know who you are!

Can't wait to rejoin the Aquinas family next year...I miss high school wrestling.

Re: STA move in? - 11/25/09 12:35 PM

no, not juiced, just a good young wrestler.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: STA move in? - 11/26/09 02:01 PM

Some of the best STA Wrestlers were developed in the East Kansas Wrestling Club. For years the East Kansas Wrestling Club was a magnet for elite level competitors. Coach Klemm and his staff (Tom Budd and others) continually developed kids into top notch competitors. Coach John Akin started this club and the tradition continued until it was interrupted by Coach Klemm's departure for Stanford University. Eric Akin and Travis Phippen have resurrected the East Kansas Club as the last few carry overs are about to graduate (Parker Madl, Zach Tanenbaum, Ryne Cokeley, and few others). Since Kevin Klemm's departure there has been a void. The single site grind room for those who are hard core and want to sharpen steel with steel. Eric & Travis hope to recreate this environment with a year round training regime at one of the BEST wreslting facilities in the state. They now offer the full gamet of training opportunities (novice, intermediate, elite, freestyle, and Greco). Come to St. James Academy nearly any night of the week where you will find former Division 1 wrestlers molding our youths into Kansas' future champions.

Will, I agree with you that the East Kansas Wrestling Club led by Kevin Klemm was an incredible club that developed some of our area's top wrestling talent many who went on to distinguish themselves with stellar NCAA Division I careers. I also agree with you that a new opportunity for that type of development is becoming available with the resurrected club led by Eric and Travis at St. James Academy. So I definitely agree with the majority of what you posted above.

However, what I am going to take some exception to is your opening sentence that I believe can leave an incorrect impression.

Some of the best STA Wrestlers were developed in the East Kansas Wrestling Club. ...

I only know of two Aquinas wrestlers who did a significant amount of their non high school wrestling with the old East Kansas Club. The only two who I think did wrestle primarily with East Kansas were Gabe Conaghan and RJ Nill.

The only reason I am bringing this up is that Joe Cisper, Sean McCarthy, Sharon Henes and several other of the the dedicated STA coaches worked very hard since the STA club was established years ago and they definitely deserve the bulk of the recognition for the contribution that kids club wrestling has made to the success of the Aquinas high school program. Of course Head High School Coach Lorne Parks and his staff also deserve a lion's share of the credit for the success of the St. Thomas High School Wrestling program over the last ten years or so. Coach Parks runs a very successful program that gets these high school wrestlers in shape to battle.

Getting back to the STA Kids club contribution to the high school team's success your comment made me look at the historic records on the Aquinas website. There are lists of accomplishments like 100 career wins, 40 Wins in a Season Club, 30 Wins in a Season Club, Individual State Champions and Runners Up. When you look at any of these categories a very large majority of the wrestlers wrestled the majority of their kids club wrestling with the STA Wrestling Club. There is one senior on the team Jake Walker who after this year will enter the 100 career win club list and should rank near the top of it. Jake Walker was an STA Kids club wrestler. The hard work of Joe Cisper, Sean McCarthy, Sharon Henes, and the other dedicated STA volunteer coaches over the years has prepared some of these standout Aquinas High School wrestlers very well over the years.

Sean McCarthy, Sharon Henes and the current other STA coaches continue to work hard to develop another generation of future standout high school wrestlers some who will eventually wrestle at Aquinas and many will wrestle at other schools in the area. The STA club with Sean McCarthy and Clint Slyter leading the way has recently added spring and summer freestyle/greco wrestling. Several of the STA freestyle/greco wrestlers did very well last summer. The STA club now offers another good option for off season wrestling that many of the Johnson County wrestlers took advantage of last year.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums