Kansas Wrestling

JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: pete77

JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/15/09 04:23 PM

WHAT GOOD MATCHES TO WATCH OUT FOR?????
103chandler gordon(smnw),nathan reed(bvn),ryan hodges(mv)
112trevor boyer(mv),tom abrams(bvnw),zac dremel(os)
119.tommy willams(sta),tre humprey(sms),tjstokes(ge)
125.josh haug(bvn),ross whitmore (smnw),
130.taylor moeder(sja),sasha ambrose(bm),reese humprey(sms)
135.zack tanenbaum(bvn),tyler koppler(sms)
140.micah flora swick(ge),andy jones(smn),dominique lujan (os),
145.ryne cokeley (sja),casey kidwell(ge),tanner johnson(sme),conner middleton(onw),will greenhaw(smnw),
152.jake walker(sta),pat cervantes (bm),trip hiller(os),chase woofter(sme),
160.mike arend(bvw),todd curtis(ge),
171.parker madl(bv),jared hoopes(bvn),
189.david blazevic(on)jake akin(ge)
215.nick pearch(bv),leo beck(mv),eric mason(sta),
285.ryan kincaid(bm),justin walberg(sta),

SORRY IF I MISSED ANYBODY JUST THESE WERE THE ONES ON THE 4,5,6 RANKINGS ANYBODY ELESE I MISSED ????????????????
Posted By: bigwillyxl

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/15/09 05:54 PM

Stokes is at 125 and beat Haug earlier this year.
GE has Shireman at 119.
Posted By: back in the day

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/15/09 06:40 PM

I would add

zach litvak at 130 - GE
Justin Long 152 GE
GE heavy weight will surpise you!
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/15/09 10:08 PM

My predictions:

103 Mancuso SJA This is my upset special. smile
112 Boyer MV
119 Williams STA
125 Dogfight! Throw SJA's Justin Vielhauer into the mix.
130 Moeder SJA
135 Tanenbaum BVN
140 Dogfight II. There will be a surprise in here!
152 Walker vs Cervantes but don't count out Woofter and Hiller. Probably the most competitive bracket.
160 Curtis GE
171 Madl BV
189 Akin GE
215 Pearch BV but I want to see Beck vs Mason II!!
285 Kincaid BM Summer wrestling will pay off for Ryan.

The team race should be a barnburner. I don't see anybody running away with it.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/15/09 10:54 PM

Aquinas should be a strong contender for the team title. They made a nice showing at Eudora last week coming in second to Lansing.
Posted By: JesusNmark1

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/15/09 11:02 PM

You forgot 145 Will.
Posted By: all boys

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/15/09 11:19 PM

Were hoping to see Akin vs. Blazevic at 189.
Posted By: RedStorm

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
My predictions:

112 Boyer MV
119 Williams STA
125 Dogfight! Throw SJA's Justin Vielhauer into the mix.
130 Moeder SJA
135 Tanenbaum BVN
140 Dogfight II. There will be a surprise in here!
152 Walker vs Cervantes but don't count out Woofter and Hiller. Probably the most competitive bracket.
160 Curtis GE
171 Madl BV
189 Akin GE
215 Pearch BV but I want to see Beck vs Mason II!!
285 Kincaid BM Summer wrestling will pay off for Ryan.

The team race should be a barnburner. I don't see anybody running away with it.

145 Cokeley SJA
Posted By: BVWJAGS

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 01:45 AM

Blue Valley West Jags will be near the top for the team title as well. Took third last year only a few points out of second. Took second in their league and won the region. May not have one individual winner this year at JoCo, but very good depth if they get their weights right have the potential to place at 103 - 145. A chance at 152 due to a tough bracket, as well at 171 and 189. Problem is they are open at 215 currently and heavyweight. Good showing at the Nebraska duals last weekend.
Posted By: KansasWrestling1

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 02:46 AM

is arend hurt at 160 for west? i heard he wont be wrestling at the classic

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 02:47 AM

Not wrestling at the classic so that will hurt us at 160. He should be returning the first weekend in January.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 01:18 PM

This will be a great TEAM battle! GE will be shooting for its 3rd title in a row. STA will be in the hunt. BVN, BVW, SJA, Olathe South. It may be decided by which team can win the most on the back side of the bracket.

I am sorry to miss it.
Posted By: LancerLou

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 02:20 PM

One thing I like about this tournament is that many of the graduates are home for the holidays and come to cheer on their old high school teammates.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: back in the day
This will be a great TEAM battle! GE will be shooting for its 3rd title in a row. STA will be in the hunt. BVN, BVW, SJA, Olathe South. It may be decided by which team can win the most on the back side of the bracket.

I am sorry to miss it.

You are right. The team title could be a very close competition this year. It will be interesting and fun watching it develop. Good luck to all the Johnson County teams and wrestlers this weekend.

I agree with LancerLou too with all the alumni coming back to cheer on their old teammates that it helps makes this a special annual tournament. It has always been one that I looked forward to. It was really interesting last year when they introduced all the old Classic champions in attendance before the finals to see how many of the ex-champions actually were in attendance at the event.
Posted By: Big Mac

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 06:44 PM

When will they have the Pools listed?
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 08:13 PM

Seeding meeting is tomorrow night.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/09 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Husker Fan

I am sorry to miss it.

You are right. The team title could be a very close competition this year. It will be interesting and fun watching it develop. Good luck to all the Johnson County teams and wrestlers this weekend.

I agree with LancerLou too with all the alumni coming back to cheer on their old teammates that it helps makes this a special annual tournament. It has always been one that I looked forward to. It was really interesting last year when they introduced all the old Classic champions in attendance before the finals to see how many of the ex-champions actually were in attendance at the event.

It is all good but I really wish it wasn't the same weekend as the Toshiba/KCI Classic. I wish we could be there to watch and wrestle. It would be a much better deal if these events were not on the same weekend.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 12:33 PM

Will, the Toshiba/KCI Classic is a great tournament. It certainly would be a very challenging test especially for the Johnson County wrestlers who have won state championships. It would also be a good test for former State placers or qualifiers.

It is doubtful though that the organizers of the Johnson County Classic would be willing to change the date of the Classic. The Classic does get a lot of attendance from college kids who were ex-high school Johnson County wrestlers and their parents. I know over the years that my son wrestled in this tournament I noticed that this tournament was the best attended tournament by former Aquinas wrestlers and parents. It has become a holiday wrestling tradition in Johnson County that I doubt the organizers want to change. Jacob, my wife and I are both going this year. This will be the first high school tournament that we will attend.
Posted By: Big Mac

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 01:37 PM

Does anyone know the schedule for tomorrow & saturday ??

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 02:15 PM

Wrestling starts at 2:30 tomorrow.

Pool Rounds 1,2,3 and 4 on Friday. Pool round 5 starts at 10am Saturday. 1st round of brackets start about 11:20 Saturday. Semis at about 1pm. Finals about 4pm!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Husker Fan
Will, the Toshiba/KCI Classic is a great tournament. It certainly would be a very challenging test especially for the Johnson County wrestlers who have won state championships. It would also be a good test for former State placers or qualifiers.

It is doubtful though that the organizers of the Johnson County Classic would be willing to change the date of the Classic. The Classic does get a lot of attendance from college kids who were ex-high school Johnson County wrestlers and their parents. I know over the years that my son wrestled in this tournament I noticed that this tournament was the best attended tournament by former Aquinas wrestlers and parents. It has become a holiday wrestling tradition in Johnson County that I doubt the organizers want to change. Jacob, my wife and I are both going this year. This will be the first high school tournament that we will attend.

Vince,

Not every wrestler in the Toshiba Classic is a state champion or state placer. This thinking is what is helping pull down the quality of our own wrestlers. "We can't go to XYZ Tournament because our team isn't good enough." What a joke! If you don't go your team will never be good enough unless you are counting on your kids program to do the job for your high school coach. Watering down the schedule to make your coaching record look better is not the way to raise the bar. Placing in the top 8 at the Toshiba is more prestigious than winning the Johnson County Classic...

I post on here a complaint about the travel limit and teams like yours don't care because they won't travel more than 30 miles unless the coach feels like he can win or place. The travel limit remains because of apathy. The Toshiba Classic is THE BEST national level tournament Kansas high schools can travel to but the JoCo conflict prohibits our local schools from being able to attend even though it is only 45 minutes away. Vince, EVERY wrestler on your team would get eight matches against wrestlers they will NEVER see the rest of the season while we are in the Blue Valley gym wrestling guys that some will see SIX times during the season! Get rid of all of the joke league tournaments and hold this one at the end of the season. The pre Christmas schedule is for travel and seeing the best in the country (RTOC, Beast, Ironman, etc). If you want everyone to get together have a holiday party and invite all current and former wrestlers during the winter, stupid "buffer" week to a wrestling reunion. We can even announce their names but no gifts or wrestling because KSHSAA forbids it.

What would happen if some of the BEST JoCo wrestlers went to the Toshiba Classic next year?

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 03:58 PM

TOSHIBA KCI CLASSIC

Blue Springs HS, Bolivar HS, Centralia HS, Christian Brothers HS, Collins Hill HS, Creston HS, Farmington HS, Farmington HS, Ft Zumwalt West HS, Granite City HS, Hannibal HS, Hayfield HS, Holt HS, Houston Westside HS, Jesuit High HS, Kearney HS, Klein Oak HS, Neosho HS, Norman North HS, Oak Grove HS, Oak Park HS, Omaha Skutt HS, Park Hill HS, Park Hill South HS, Perry HS, Platte County HS, Ponca City HS, Randall HS, Sand Springs HS, Seckman HS, Tuttle HS, Waynesville HS

32 teams, not a single Kansas HS in attendance...
Posted By: Brian K. Patton

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 04:15 PM

Will, Do you have to go to the Johnson Co Classic? Is it in stone that you have to go!I when about nine years ago to see Justin Dyer(sp) And it seem that a lot or a few kids were jumping around weight class's
Posted By: badbo

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 04:22 PM

Not to nitpick but there was no KCI tournament 9 years ago. Not in the form or fashion it is now. I believe this is the 3rd-4th year.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 04:25 PM

I don't have to go to the Johnson County Classic smile I am sure SJA could jump ship and go to KCI but most AD's are unwilling to break ranks. When East Kansas WC was strong the JoCo Classic was a great event. Those days are gone. Nothing stays the same so you have to make changes and adapt. The Toshiba hasn't been around very long or maybe some of those strong teams would have broken ranks years ago. Honestly, the league tournaments at the end of the year are an absolute JOKE so lets move this one. Invite the DG and WY county schools too and make it a 32 team tournament.

This year there are five opens at 145. That is just plain sad!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 04:29 PM

"There you go again...." Ronald Reagan

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 04:50 PM

Each team has to make a decision to improve their schedule.

SJA has done that this year. I applaud them.

Gardner Edgerton has done it.
They dropped five duals against weaker teams- Paola, Ottawa, Eudora, Sante Fe Trail and Lawrence. and added two 2 day tournaments : Eudora Tournament and North Kansas City.

GE is joining the East Kansas League next year. Hopefully be more competitive than Frontier.

If a school wants to opt out of JOCO classic. I am sure it is possible.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 06:00 PM

Will,

I think it would be great to have teams be able to go to the TOSHIBA KCI CLASSIC for the competition. As someone pointed out though the Johnson County Classic has been in existence a lot longer than the TOSHIBA KCI CLASSIC. I believe the coaches and schools are very happy with it and that includes the time of year that it is held. I really doubt they will change it but maybe you can convince them.

I think a Johnson County school should be allowed to opt out of it if they want to in any particular year. I think very few of them would choose to do that. I think it would also be okay for individuals to wrestle at the TOSHIBA KCI CLASSIC while maybe the rest of the team wrestled at the Johnson County Classic. I would have like to have seen how guys like Ryne, Parker, Taylor and some others could have done there this year or next.

I agree that Johnson County teams should schedule some more meets out of the Johnson County area. They could do that in the Kansas City area and it would not necessarily have to be this weekend. There are other good tournaments during the year they could wrestle at.
Posted By: Brian K. Patton

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/17/09 06:36 PM

Glad to see Gardner moving on up to the big time!(all sports) They may get better now! When I was in school we beat them all the time. late 70's... My girl and new Grandson live there now! I do hope they move!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 12:57 AM

In the pool rounds a team only gets 1.5 points for a bye instead of 3 that you would get with a pin? Who was brain dead when they made this rule? You penalize a team who has a wrestler and reward one who doesn't by saving them 1.5 points for NOT bringing a competitor??? It should be just like a dual. You don't have a wrestler in the lineup you give up 6 points, just like you do for a pin!
Posted By: wrestlingAlum

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:12 AM

Whats preventing a school from sending JV kids to the classic, and the Varsity Kids to the other tourney?

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: wrestlingAlum
Whats preventing a school from sending JV kids to the classic, and the Varsity Kids to the other tourney?

Ridicule from the other coaches and AD's... Perhaps next year somebody will test the waters! Honestly, wouldn't you like to see the cheezy league tournaments wiped out and put this right before regionals? Invite DG and WY counties too! 32 teams on a Friday and Saturday to get warmed up for regionals!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:23 AM

112 Seeds are out:

Boyer MV
Dremel OS
Williams STA
Nemer SH

Humphrey SMS
Abrams BVNW
Copen OS
Squire SH

Whitmore SMNW
Stokes GE
Baurle OS
Hoopes BVN

Seeding is supposed to seperate the best wrestlers. I don't think that is happening tonight...

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:25 AM

Moeder SJA
Ambrose BM
Baylog BVN
Bolerjack OS
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:38 AM

If the seeds hold Olathe South has a good start on points.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:42 AM

I predict the seeds will not hold.

Flora-Swick GE
Jones SMN
Johnson SME
Swickard BVW

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:46 AM

Cokeley SJA
Middleton ONW
Kidwell GE
Allen SMW

Walker STA
Hiller OS
Cervantes BM
Woofter SME

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 01:59 AM

Curtis GE
Lyons BVNW
Caldwell SMNW
Bialek BM

Madl BV
Hoopes BVN
Rutherford SME
Pascal SMW

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 02:06 AM

Do you have 103 and 135 Mr. Cokeley? I personally like this tournament.
Posted By: Cleve Welsh

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 02:24 AM

189 & beyond?

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 03:06 AM

All seeds are pre weigh in...Who knows how they will handle someone not making weight. Honestly, I am not sure if the coaches are wrestling advocates or former Barnum and Bailey employees.

Hodges MV
Gordon SMNW
Paxton BVW
Kostroske SMW

Tanenbaum BVN
Klopper SMS
Swoyer SMNW
McSorley BM

Blazevic ON
McCann BVW
Akin GE
Parr DeSoto

Pearch BV
Beck MV
Mason STA
Kettler SH

Kincaid BM
Walberg STA
Callahan MV
Graham BVNW

I like all wrestling tournaments but some I like a lot more than others! smile

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 03:45 AM

Swick GE
Jones ON
Johnson SME
Swickard BVW

It is Flora-Swick GE
I believe Jones is from SMN

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 03:48 AM

[quote=wrestlingAlum]Whats preventing a school from sending JV kids to the classic, and the Varsity Kids to the other tourney?

Ridicule from the other coaches and AD's... /quote]

When you believe in something it doesn't matter what other people say!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 03:58 AM

[quote=wrestlingAlum]Whats preventing a school from sending JV kids to the classic, and the Varsity Kids to the other tourney?

Ridicule from the other coaches and AD's... /quote]

When you believe in something it doesn't matter what other people say!

Surely you don't think I care what other people do or say! smile I am not the AD or the coach. I am just a parent. We don't know what we are talking about or doing! smile Who knows. Lets see what happens next year.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 12:01 PM

Blue Valley and Blue Valley NW have done an outstanding job running their tournaments. In 1997, 2005, and 2007 a KS state championship team came from the JC Classic – not bad and room for improvement. I believe the BVNW Huskie has had a state championship team(at least one) almost every year since 1997 – 2009 – not to bad and room for improvement. I think we can promote/support our tournaments and sport without tearing down the efforts of local coaches, schools, and administration.

STATE CHAMPIONS HISTORY
click on year to view the individual results
YEAR CLASS CHAMPION LOCATION
6A Goddard Kansas Coliseum, Wichita
5A Emporia Kansas Coliseum, Wichita

6A Goddard Wichita, Koch Arena
5A Carroll Wichita, Koch Arena

6A Manhattan Wichita, Kansas Coliseum
5A Overland Park-St. Thomas Aquinas Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

6A Goddard Wichita, Kansas Coliseum
5A Wichita-Carroll Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

6A Overland Park-St. Thomas Aquinas Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

5A Kansas City-Turner Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

6A Hutchinson Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

6A Hutchinson Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

5A Paola Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

6A Emporia Wichita, Kansas Coliseum
5A Arkansas City Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

6A Garden City Wichita, Kansas Coliseum
5A Goddard Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

1998 6A Garden City Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

1997 6A Stillwell-Blue Valley Wichita, Kansas Coliseum

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 03:32 PM

KWCA Ranked wrestlers at JOCO:

103:
Ryan Hodges - MV - #3/5A
Chandler Gordon - SMNW - #4/6A
Nathan Reed - BVN - #6/6A

112:
Trevor Boyer - MV - #1/5A
Tommy Williams - STA - #3/5A
Zach Dremel - OS - #4/6A
Michael Nemer - SH - #5/4A

119:
Tre Humphrey - SMS - #5/6A
Tom Abrams - BVNW - #6/6A

125:
Ross Whitmore - SMNW - #3/6A

130:
Taylor Moeder - SJA - #1/4A
Sasha Ambrose - BM - #5/5A

135:
Zack Tanenbaum - BVN - #1/6A
Tyler Klopper - SMS - #6/6A

140:
Tanner Johnson - #4/6A
Micah Flora-Swick - #5/5A
Andy Jones - SMN - #5/6A

145:
Ryne Cokeley - SJA - #1/4A
Connor Middleton - ONW - #3/6A
Casey Kidwell - GE - #6/5A

152:
Jake Walker - STA - #1/5A
Tripp Hiller - OS - #2/6A
Pat Cervantes - BM - #5/5A
Chase Woofter - SME - #5/6A

160:
Todd Curtis - GE - #1/5A

171:
Parker Madl - BV - #1/6A
Jared Hoopes - BVN - #5/6A

189:
David Blazevic - ON - #2/6A
Jake Akin - GE - #4/5A

215:
Nick Pearch - BV - #2/6A
Leo Beck - MV - #2/5A
Eric Mason - STA - #3/5A

285:
Ryan Kincaid - BM - #2/5A
Justin Walberg - STA - #4/5A

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 04:27 PM

Chief,

Be interesting to see what holds more true to form, the rankings or the seedings. For example, at 103, Reed is ranked 6th in 6A yet two other wrestlers in 6A are seeded higher for this tournament, Paxton and Kostroske. At 189, you have a ranked wrestler Akin who is ranked 4th in 5A, seeded lower than McCann from BVW who is unranked in 6A. I have only been here in Kansas for about 5 years now, but it seems more than some other tournaments I have watched that there are always surprises at the JOCO. Which I think makes it an interesting tournament.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/18/09 06:13 PM

Should be fun. There are always upsets but many times the seeds this early are swayed by winning percentage more than they are quality wins. In both of those cases above, the winning percentage gained the seed instead of "who" they have beat. I'm sure there will be surprises.

Best wishes to everybody!
Posted By: Judo

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/19/09 01:33 PM

Any updates on the Johnson County Classic? Sounds like this years results could be the closest ever.
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/19/09 03:26 PM

Johnson County is definately the weakest tournament I have seen with that many wrestlers. When the East Kansas club died so did Johnson County wrestling.

Serious question - How many Johnson County teams wrestle the entire year (besides state) without leaving Johnson County?

How many KC schools do not leave the KC area the entire season?
Posted By: Old Hwt

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/19/09 06:12 PM

Is there a live site for the JOCO results?
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/19/09 10:29 PM

i think cokeley, akin, and phippen have the east kansas team alive and well, but i agree to top in jc are as good as any, but the rest are usually pretty soft.
Posted By: JesusNmark1

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/19/09 11:56 PM

Flora-Swick GE
Jones SMN
Johnson SME
Swickard BVW

No surpise here for first place at JoCo Classic at 140! Way to Go Micah! You wrestled your match and put him on his back. I am biased but I thought he was pinned a few times.

Mark

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/20/09 12:57 AM

After escaping against Will Collins in the semis, that final surprised me. Only one seed held this time.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/20/09 01:12 AM

What I remember...

103:
1. Hodges
2. Gordon

112:
1. Dremel
2. Boyer

119:
1. Humphrey
2. Golubski

125:
1. Whitmore
2. Stokes

130:
1. Moeder
2. Griggs

135:
1. Tanenbaum

140:
1. Flora-Swick
2. Johnson
3. Jones
4. Pabst

145:
1. Cokeley
2. Middleton

152:
1. Walker
2. Hiller
3. Cervantes
4. Woofter

160:
1. Curtis

171:
1. Madl
2. Rutherford
3. Hoopes
4. Pascal

189:
1. Blazevic
2. Welsh

215:
1. Pearch
2. Mason

285:
1. Kincaid
2. Callahan
Posted By: KCRealtor

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/20/09 01:15 AM

Which team won the tournament?

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/20/09 01:46 AM

1. Mill Valley
2. GE
3. STA
4. St. James
Posted By: KCRealtor

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/20/09 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
1. Mill Valley
2. STA
3. GE
4. St. James

Thanks, Chief. Four teams that travel to face good competition. No Surprise.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/20/09 11:36 AM

KC Star

Mill Valley - 163.5
Gardner - 159
STA - 150.5
St. James - 148.5
Shawnee Mission NW - 144.5
Blue Valley West - 140.5
Ble Valley North - 139.5
Shawnee Mission East - 133
Blue Valley - 126
Olathe South - 115
Bishop Meige - 113
Shawnne Mission South - 90.5
Spring Hill - 86.5
Olathe NW - 84.5
Blue Valley NW - 80.5
Olathe N - 76.5
Shawnee Mission West - 71
Shawnee Mission N - 66.5
Olathe East - 48.5
DeSoto - 37.5

103:
1. Hodges MV Pin
2. Gordon SMNW

112:
1. Dremel OLS - 3-1
2. Boyer MV

119:
1. Humphrey SMS 17-0
2. Golubski STA

125:
1. Whitmore SMNW 11-9
2. Stokes Gardner

130:
1. Moeder St James Pin
2. Griggs OLN

135:
1. Tanenbaum BVN Pin
2. Erker BVW

140:
1. Flora-Swick Gardner 11-6
2. Johnson SME
3. Jones
4. Pabst

145:
1. Cokeley St James 5-2
2. Middleton ONW

152:
1. Walker STA 9-1
2. Hiller OLS
3. Cervantes
4. Woofter

160:
1. Curtis Gardner 27-13
2. Caldwell - SMNW

171:
1. Madl BV Pin
2. Rutherford SME
3. Hoopes
4. Pascal

189:
1. Blazevic OLN Pin
2. Welsh SME

215:
1. Pearch BV 7-2
2. Mason STA

285:
1. Kincaid Meige - 3-1
2. Callahan MV
Posted By: Jeff Broadbent

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/21/09 08:40 PM

Congratulations to Coach Keal, Coach Mann and all of the Mill Valley wrestlers, managers, and fans who have worked hard for many years now at improving each and every wrestler that comes into the room.

Without the hard work of all of their athletes, whether they are a returning State Champ, or a first year Freshman wrestler who is there to push and challenge for that starting spot on the roster, there would not be this type of success.

Having watched several of these athletes since their early years, I am especially proud to be a Mill Valley Fan. Keep up the hard work and look forward to once again seeing many of you after the High School season gets done.

Jeff Broadbent
Director / Mill Valley Wrestling Club

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/22/09 03:02 PM

I agree Jeff!

Mill Valley is growing a program that will be a force to reckon with in 5A state. Coach Keal and Mann are doing a great job.

GE had an opportunity to take the lead but left a few many points on the mat. A great team effort by Mill Valley!
Posted By: Akin Wrestling

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/24/09 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPin22
Johnson County is definately the weakest tournament I have seen with that many wrestlers. When the East Kansas club died so did Johnson County wrestling.

Serious question - How many Johnson County teams wrestle the entire year (besides state) without leaving Johnson County?

How many KC schools do not leave the KC area the entire season?

We put the EKWC back on the map last year getting 3rd at Kid State. This year we doubled our membership numbers. Give us 2 to 4 more years and the 60 youngsters on EKWC will be the Jo Co Classic and you will see Division One coaches in the stands scouting. It's a foregone conclusion.
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/24/09 04:24 PM

Eric, I know that you, phippen, etc. will make the EKWC a powerhouse once again and most of your wrestlers will eventually dominate at the JoCo classic. But, for now the JoCo is pretty weak. Most everyone that follows Kansas wrestling realizes the the majority of the great wrestlers in the past from JoCo were products of the EKWC. I live almost two hours away from your club, but I assure you that if (when) my son enjoys wrestling and has the desire to improve we will make the drive to be a part of your program.

I would still like to know how many JoCo highschool teams never leave the KC area during the course of the regular season.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/24/09 05:22 PM

Nineteen of the 20 JOCO High Schools travel outside of the KC area at least once during the regular season. Blue Valley is the only one that doesn't.
Posted By: D Petrie119

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/24/09 08:38 PM

who won the outstanding wrestler award?

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/25/09 12:51 AM

Parker Madl - Blue Valley was Outstanding Senior
Zach Dremel - Olathe South was Outstanding Wrestler
Posted By: Akin Wrestling

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/31/09 01:08 AM

Bring your boy up when he is ready. We would love to recruit. . I mean have him.

And in your defense, I must admit that I had some ex-college wrestling guests from the state of Iowa at the Jo Co Classic with me and their exact words were, "Lots of these would not come close to making a varsity team in Iowa."

All I could think to say was, "shut up dude. Iowa is cold. It's to far north, and it smells like pig poop."

They did recognize that Madl and Cokeley are totally cut out for Division One. But in my opinion they both need to get way more mean before they get to college.
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/31/09 01:17 PM

i know a couple of ks kids who made the transition to iowa wrestling pretty well, don't you bigpin?

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 12/31/09 02:08 PM

When I officated my first NCAA III match - one of the coaches knowing that I was a high school offical said, "Remember, unnecessary roughness is necessary."

There is no mr nice guy in college wrestling.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 03:07 PM

CORRECTED JOCO TEAM SCORES!

St. James Academy has now been awarded 3rd place.

1. Mill Valley - 159.5
2. Gardner Edgerton - 159
3. St. James Academy - 148
4. St. Thomas Aquinas - 147
5. BV North - 145.5

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 03:21 PM

One more pin, one more major decision, one more win...
by one more wrestler and the outcome changes.

This is a great example of teamwork needed to win a championship!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 03:53 PM

Not sure how the scoring goes for sure - but might want to recheck some of the figures in pools and points awarded. Just checking the revised scores. STA's McCarthy won 2 matches in pool play and had 6.5 points. Walberg had 2 pins and another win for 11 points. Those figures do not match the revised team sheet.
The revised sheet had 3.5 points for McCarthy and 7 for Walberg.
No big deal just might want to recheck the "official" changes and explain the point system. Gadwood 160 lbs from STA had 9 points in pools and 6 on the revised sheet. Golubski 119 STA - 4 win by decision at 3 points each = 12 points plus 12 points for placing 2nd = 24. That is the way I read the point system. The revised score sheet only shows him having 19.5 total points. I am just going off the the results and the place points in the offical book handed out. Williams at 112 pounds 4 pins = 16 plus 9 points for 3rd place = 25 (This adds up and is correct).

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 05:42 PM

STA's 215 pounds - Eric Mason had 15 points in pools, 12 place points (2nd), pin in the bracket 4 points, and a win for 3 points. I get a total of 34 points for Eric Mason and not 26 like on the official revised Team score sheet. I used the same method to calculate Tommy Williams 25 points. Now, I am confused on the scoring.

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 05:59 PM

Made me check the results and scoring - I found these STA points missing (22.5) - I have not checked everyone’s pool and bracket points for all the teams but each coach may want to calculate their teams results.

These points were missing using the Offical Program's methods.

Williams = OK
McCarthy = 3
Walberg = 4
Gadwood = 3
Golubski = 4.5
Mason = 8.0
Total of these 5 STA guys = 22.5 points missing
Note: I did not check all the other guys yet!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 06:50 PM

These points were missing using the Offical Program's methods.

Williams = OK
McCarthy = 3
Walberg = 4
Gadwood = 3
Golubski = 4.5
Mason = 8.0
Total of these 5 STA guys = 22.5 points missing
Note: I did not check all the other guys yet!

The rest of the STA guys

Points Missing or wrong

130 lbs
Jacob Berggren - 2.5 (7 in pool, 3 in bracket, 3 for place)

135 lbs
Tommy Kearns - 3.5 (7.5 in pool, 2 md in bracket 6, 5 for place) = 18.5

145 lbs
Johnny Perz - (negative 1) should be only 1 point instead of 2
in pools

152 lbs
Jake Walker 3.5 points missing (12 in pool), pin in bracket 4,
2 md decisions = 6, plus 16 place points = 38 total

189 lbs
Matt Coombs 4 points missing (pool total was 5 the team score sheet showed only 1.

SO:

22.5 (from above) + 2.5 + 3.5 -(1) + 3.5 + 4 = 35 missing points

Using the Official Program book method I found 35 missing points from STA's score.

Here is what I get for STA's score:

103 = 0
112 = 25
119 = 24
125 = 6.5
130 = 13
135 = 18.5
140 = (3)
145 = 1
152 = 38
160 = 9
171 = 0
189 = 5
215 = 34
HWT = 11
Total = 182

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 06:56 PM

Lets give sta the trophy! Or else hire an accountant!

Re: JOHNSON COUNTY CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 01/14/10 07:22 PM

That would be nice if STA got a trophy. But if I found possible
mistakes at all but 3 weights.

103 - open wrestler - 0 points
112 - 3rd place 25 points was correct.
171 - open wrestler - 0 points.

Just saying the coaches might want to calculate their own team scores. I got the results from the brackets, pools and used the book for scoring. I could be wrong but I used the same method to get the 112 pounder points.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums