Kansas Wrestling

READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A

Posted By: new2wrestling

READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 05:53 PM

I just got off of the phone with Intrust. I asked about the polices that were on their website. their answers are in red.

KSHSAA School Wrestling Feb 26, 2010 to Feb 27, 2010 at INTRUST Bank Arena

No re-entry policy in effect. If you leave the arena you will need to purchase another ticket to get back into the event.
(They are not wavering on this. This their policy and they are sticking to it.)

No outside food or beverages can be brought into the Arena. The wrestlers can bring in coolers. There will be an area for them. Sandwich fixings, fruit and bottled water only in the coolers. NO SPORT DRINKS. The coolers will be searched!

No reserving of seats.

Banners may not be taped to the facility. If banners need to be hung please contact Arena staff and they will be glad to help. (You can use string or twist ties to hold up items.)

Ticket Prices
Prices include a $1.00 Facility Fee

Adults:
Friday - all day ticket = $11.00
Friday - evening only session ticket = $7.00

Saturday - all day ticket = $11.00
Saturday - evening only session ticket = $7.00

Students (grades K-12)
Friday - all day ticket = $7.00
Friday - evening only session ticket = $6.00

Saturday - all day ticket = $7.00
Saturday - evening only session ticket = $6.00
Posted By: wrestling67

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 05:57 PM

So they are forcing everone to stay all day and eat there, you cannot go to your hotel and relax,eat, or anything else or you pay for reentry. Kinda sounds like a bunch of S*** to me. Aparently they only want it at the arena one year.
Posted By: Benelli

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 05:58 PM

That's funny. The no re-entry was NOT on their website yesterday!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 05:59 PM

I tried to explain to them that we've always been able to come and go. They said they understand but they are not changing their policy. They will be searching anyone with a cooler.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:03 PM

That could be enough reason not to return next year! That is a joke. This is not a basketball game 2 hours and you are done watching the game for the day. They may be out of the running in the future.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:07 PM

Not sure, but it could be cheaper to still go to the car and eat and pay for another ticket, than to buy concessions from them?
Posted By: yzgi

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:08 PM

OK this is total crap. I run a business and was wanting to see my best friends son wrestle then go back to shop and return for futher rounds to watch him, they want me to pay every friggin time? I can't believe this. Anyone have any idea who to contact?

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:12 PM

(316) 440-9000 ask for Scott
Posted By: Cokeley

Once again KSHSAA falls down on the job. I sure wish I worked for them. You can fail to get a contract signed. Fail to evaluate your officiating crews. Fail to keep the student athlete's best interests first. FAIL, FAIL, FAIL yet still make a six figure income. I still say we should abolish it and let the schools form their own organization. It is really a part time job.

Good luck.....

Contact Us

INTRUST Bank Arena
500 E. Waterman
Wichita, KS 67202

We can be reached via e-mail at info@intrustbankarena.com or you can reach us by telephone at (316) 440-9000

Printable SMG Job Application Forms

Administrative Office Hours from 9 am to 5 pm

Box Office Hours
Mon thru Fri - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sat - 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:13 PM

Incredible. Was that the policy stated when the bid was accepted?

Did KSHSAA really accept that?????
Posted By: Jeremy Molloy

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:13 PM

I would start with Rick Bowden. He should have asked about this before signing a contract to use the money pit I mean arena.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:35 PM

I called Intrust no operators were unavailable at this time (imagine that) they put me directly to the message center. I left my name and number and told them in no uncertain terms that I would never attend an event at their arena if this policy is upheld for this event. They expect us to show up at 9:00am and possibly stay until 9-10 pm that night without ever leaving their beloved arena? Unbelivable...
Posted By: Beeson

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:35 PM

If you buy an all day ticket, doesn't that mean you can come and go ALL DAY??!!!!
Posted By: grappler pops

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:37 PM

Just tried to call Scott to voice my opinion. Had to leave a vm. operator was busy and could not take my call either. I believe everyone should take 2 mins and voice their thoughts. I was very professional and polite and pointed out the difference between a concert that can get rowdy and a high school wrestling tourney. etc

We have several family members coming from out of state and this is going to get pretty pricey!!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:41 PM

Raise HE__ yzgi - I will.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
Raise HE__ yzgi - I will.

I am and will, having my employees call the Intrust gestapo now.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:46 PM

The smokers are in some big trouble - The better bring a wad of cash or a huge patch and some nic gum. Rules are Rules.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:48 PM

Need to ask them if this rule was just made up overnight??
Posted By: Jeremy Molloy

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 06:48 PM

Can you say riot, you ever seen a smoker that needed a fix.
Posted By: SpratDad

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 07:14 PM

I vote for a big breakfast before 8:00AM and then hunger-strike it the rest of the day. Everyone stays and noone eats! Have they diabled the water fountains?
Posted By: SpratDad

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 07:18 PM

And all smokers bring dip.
Posted By: windjammer

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 07:19 PM

A hunger strike would be awesome to pull off. Probably impossible, but that would be sweet. It's probably against Intrust Arena's policy. I think they have a two drink minimum.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 07:25 PM

Unhappy fan - here is what I sent
I hope I do not have to show my ID when I get there. May need to wear a costume.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: chris.presson@smgwichita.com
CC: kingmerj@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Unhappy fan
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:20:51 +0000

Chris & Beth,

chris.presson@smgwichita.com or 316-440-9015
kingmerj@sbcglobal.net or 316-651-5565

Welcome to Wichita and our new arena. You are welcome also on my following comments. What is this no re-entry policy? I would suggest you change your policy if you ever want to get another high school or kids event at your facility. This is not a 2 hour game and then you leave for the day. This is an all day - 2 day event. People will purchase some of your goods if you greet them properly. But if you use strong arm tactics - I will bet people will be sure to eat a BIG breakfast prior to coming and hold out for a NICE dinner elsewhere. I understand the no coolers deal - I do not understand someone walking outside for a little fresh air, smoke, a favorite snack or product that you do not serve or even some healthy snack. Bad way to start you public relations mission. Unhappy fan who has not stepped foot in the arena yet. Currently - I am working out a meal plan for all the other wrestling parents and fans so they do not purchase anything at your facility - besides tickets.
We are buying gas, hotel stays, etc. dropping plenty of money in Wichita. I am sure another city/arena would gladly open up their arms for this event.

Sean McCarthy

KSHSAA School Wrestling Feb 26, 2010 to Feb 27, 2010 at INTRUST Bank Arena

No re-entry policy in effect. If you leave the arena you will need to purchase another ticket to get back into the event.
(They are not wavering on this. This their policy and they are sticking to it.)

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 07:32 PM

I just got off the phone with Scott. He said that they will allow re-entry for this event only.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Beeson
I just got off the phone with Scott. He said that they will allow re-entry for this event only.

Uh oh, now I wish I hadn't left my name,number and place of business on that voice mail--LOL

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 07:41 PM

I am still waiting for Mr. Presson's (Manager) e-mail response since Ms. Beth (Public Relations) was unavailable until Monday.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 08:05 PM

I just recieved a call from the Intrust manager. The policy will be suspended for this event.

I'm expecting a call from Pres Obama on the health care problem any minute now.
Posted By: master blaster

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 08:11 PM

OOps just sent a nasty gram to the poor guy, better send a retraction.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 08:12 PM

Again Thanks to all who called or emailed, and voiced their opinions. The wrestling community has prevailed!

Mel
Posted By: bockman

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 08:22 PM

are they going to have the bars open for us then lol. i can live with that.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 08:26 PM

Good thing we found out today instead of in the morning.

Now, I hope they let me in and the stamp is permanent enough to get to the car and back for some celery, fresh green beans, and rice cakes. Maybe the stamp will be two wrestlers – with 5A and 6A on their singlets.
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Once again KSHSAA falls down on the job. I sure wish I worked for them. You can fail to get a contract signed. Fail to evaluate your officiating crews. Fail to keep the student athlete's best interests first. FAIL, FAIL, FAIL yet still make a six figure income. I still say we should abolish it and let the schools form their own organization. It is really a part time job.

I know most of your comments are really good Cokeley but that is by far the best. Obviously they have failed at aligning the regionals in an equitable fashion in terms of quality, but I do understand that they are "region"als.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/25/10 09:05 PM

KSHSAA School WrestlingFeb 26, 2010 to Feb 27, 2010 at INTRUST Bank Arena

Entry Policy - If you purchase a ticket and would like to leave the arena you will be given a stamp on your hand. Hand stamp is required for re-entry. Bags will be checked upon entry and re-entry into the arena.

No outside food or beverages can be brought into the arena.

No reserving of seats.

Banners may not be taped to the facility. If banners need to be hung please contact arena staff and they will be glad to help.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/26/10 04:12 AM

Does anyone know if they have wifi in the arena?
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/26/10 04:47 AM

And people wonder why 4A & 321A won't ever join 5/6A in Wichita. They have great venues with great hosts, sounds like Intrust is trying to pay for itself in the first year.
Posted By: klintdeere

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/26/10 01:01 PM

Smokey--we will be waiting for a concession stand review from you soon...
Posted By: BLT

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/26/10 04:44 PM

This is an awsome venue
The real bad thing is they have all these awesome seats they keep chasing ppl out of and choose to leave empty.
Sometimes the host is more important then the house.
This is one of those times where the host has tarnished the house.
So in Wills words that's another FAILED.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/27/10 01:42 AM

I thought you paid per session. I paid 11 bucks which is not alot but thought since i missed the morning session I would only pay for 1 session. Then i would have had to pay 7 bucks for each kid x5 yes I know its my fault but they didnt get to go. otherwise I loved the wrestling. cushioned seats but no walking room in the rows. booth seats looked like they had the best seats in the house.
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/27/10 03:23 AM

Just got home from 5A/6A state day one and my first visit to Intrust Arena. Thought it was awesome, cool atmosphere, very asthetically pleasing, had a blast. 100 times better than the Coliseum and their gustapo crews, etc.
Posted By: shwrestlingmom

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/27/10 03:36 AM

our wrestlers left before the memo on what they could take in. That was crap that they could only bring water considering a gatorade was $4. I understand not letting spectators bring food and drinks but limiting the wrestlers is just crazy. I think there needs some negotiation before we book for next year. At one door I was told my kids could not bring their bags with blankets and games in. Didn't let that one go till I got them in. Will say very nice facility. Great day of wrestling
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/27/10 05:08 AM

So what is the general consensus on the new arena as a wrestling venue?

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/27/10 11:40 AM

Nice venue, isle greeter got a little touchy if you stopped to watch a match any where near the "premier seating". Parking gets a little scarey. Park in the wrong lot and you may be towed.
I did not get towed - but I did move to the car to a safe zone. It was very nice to be able to walk out and get some fresh air and re-enter. I was glad they ran semi's one match at a time for the viewers/fans. It makes the day a little longer then necessary for the wrestlers. The facility looked big enough to handle all classes over a 3 day period with different sessions.
You might need more than reading glasses if you got stuck in the upper deck or trying to film matches. Overall facility was great.
The food - I will have to wait for today to rate the meat products. My wife was watching me like a hawk all day since it was lent and I was unable to stay up past midnight.
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/27/10 12:04 PM

sounds like growing pains, some times you have to hit people over the head to make them see straight. give them another chance and if they don't make the adjustments, get rid of them. how did we end up making the deal for this arena?
Posted By: shwrestlingmom

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 05:05 AM

The arena did provide free parking in their lots today which was nice. But I did have to be the psycho mom at the door with bag checks. I bought my kids the large bag of cotton candy ($6) let them have 1/2 on Friday and when they checked my bag Sat. said I could not bring it in. I stuffed it in my bag and said I was taking it in and kept walking. Food was good papa John's pizza, Carlos O'kelly's, Sandwich place, plus regular concessions. They even had free small ice waters! I do think the workers need to have some training in dealing with people! (I'm not talking about the ones I let have it about the cotton candy) The ones chasing down people that already went through bag check yelling no food in here then rechecking their bags. (they didn't have any food)
Posted By: djackson

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 02:06 PM

Anyone know what the luxury boxes for the finals cost? We sit there both days and got the boot when the finals got ready to start.
Posted By: trunorth

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:01 PM

All of this nonsense is exactly why the 4As and 3-2-1As do it right! It's nice to be welcome, appreciated, and the center of attention. And Will, if you were only the ruler of the world, everything would be fine!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:12 PM

Oh and by the way, if you want to complain about tickets, pricing, etc., try this for size: Iowa's tournament goes Wednesday through Saturday. Each of the three classes wrestles one session a day Wednesday through Friday and there are two sessions Saturday. You have to buy a separate ticket for each session and each ticket is $8. But the wrestlers are allowed to bring in whatever they want at least.
Posted By: M.Church_AD

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:18 PM

In my opinion, the rules that were put in place were not that bad. I believe this tournament, for being in a brand new facility where anything could happen ran very well. It was very clean, plenty of room and I don't believe there is a bad seat in that place to watch wrestling. My kids loved the place and were very excited to be showcased in the Intrust Bank Arena. I believe we all get caught up in the wrestler mentality of "everybody owes me something" instead of appreciating what we already have.

There probably was some wrinkles to iron out but all in all... If I had to give the tournament a letter grade on a report card....
"A"

Coach Church
on twitter @CoachChurch

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:24 PM

I wasn't complaining because I thought the place was great. Just want to know if anyone knows how much those luxury boxes cost for the finals. Heck we had planned on leaving to get a bite to eat Saturday but with the good food and wrestling we stayed from start to finish.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:42 PM

Don:
Was there anyone in the boxes during the finals? The only reason I ask that usually those luxury boxes in all of the new arenas are pre-sold and the finals might have been part of the package the box owners got. That would be the only thing I could think of as to why you could sit there the rest of the tourney but not the finals.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:45 PM

I understand all of that I was just wondering if anyone purchased one for the finals so I could get an idea of what they cost. Those where great seats and it might be worth it next year.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:45 PM

We were in the boxes, we paid a price of $22.00 per ticket for them. As long as you had a ticket purchased for them you could sit in them.

Mel
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 04:49 PM

I paid 11 bucks for one ticket - general seating. I'm about 6 foot and boy were my long legs cramp. However, the seats were soft and cushioned, not the hard plastic stuff to sit your butt on.
Posted By: badbo

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 08:23 PM

The staff at the facility was the most abnoxious I have ever been around at a tournament. They were like the gestapo. You couldn't tape up any banners, the concessions were closing during the 135pound semi's on Friday and the 125 pound finals on Saturday. They would not let the teams bring in any gatorade. They were only allowed to bring in water. Our team bought the tear open gatorade mix to put in the water bottles and were told if the kids used them they would be disqualified. We could not get into take pictures of our kids on the podium and the security guard lady at the gate was a total &$^#*(@*. They even told people they could not use the electrical outlets to recharge camcorders. IT WAS A TOTAL JOKE FROM THAT POINT. Whoever negotiated the contract for that place needed to grow some nads and get a some terms for everyone involved. The facility was nice but the seating was cramped, and I would have rather had it in the old "Wichita Classic barn" that put up with such a load of nasty people as the entire staff of the Intrust Center. Rick Bowden needs to step up and get something done before next year period!!!!!

Competition was awesome!!!!
Posted By: rockyhorror

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: badbo
The staff at the facility was the most abnoxious I have ever been around at a tournament. They were like the gestapo. You couldn't tape up any banners, the concessions were closing during the 135pound semi's on Friday and the 125 pound finals on Saturday. They would not let the teams bring in any gatorade. They were only allowed to bring in water. Our team bought the tear open gatorade mix to put in the water bottles and were told if the kids used them they would be disqualified. We could not get into take pictures of our kids on the podium and the security guard lady at the gate was a total &$^#*(@*. They even told people they could not use the electrical outlets to recharge camcorders. IT WAS A TOTAL JOKE FROM THAT POINT. Whoever negotiated the contract for that place needed to grow some nads and get a some terms for everyone involved. The facility was nice but the seating was cramped, and I would have rather had it in the old "Wichita Classic barn" that put up with such a load of nasty people as the entire staff of the Intrust Center. Rick Bowden needs to step up and get something done before next year period!!!!!

Competition was awesome!!!!

yeah the staff was a joke and i really didnt like it there...would anyone be open to switching the venue like go east one year then back to the west side...the topeka expo center is a great place and if they can hold all those kid clubs then they could surely have high school state there
Posted By: WillyM

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 02/28/10 11:57 PM

I liked the "old barn" A great venue and atmosphere when they had 4, 5 and 6A there under one roof.

Would like to see them rotate the tournaments--especially the 5A and 6A. The vast majority of schools in these two classes come from either Metro KC, Metro Wichita, Metro Topeks, and most of the rest are along the I-70 and I-135 corridors.

Anyone have an idea on the highest attendance at the Intrust Arena for this tournament. Numbers would be nice to know if someone was to go looking for a facility. Don't think Topeka ExPo is large enough. Perhaps there is a big college facility that could be used (KU, Bramblage at KSU). What's at Washburn U. Too bad Kemper is in KCMO. Don't think there is anything large enough in the KCKS area!!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Contrarian
I liked the "old barn" A great venue and atmosphere when they had 4, 5 and 6A there under one roof.

Would like to see them rotate the tournaments--especially the 5A and 6A. The vast majority of schools in these two classes come from either Metro KC, Metro Wichita, Metro Topeks, and most of the rest are along the I-70 and I-135 corridors.

Anyone have an idea on the highest attendance at the Intrust Arena for this tournament. Numbers would be nice to know if someone was to go looking for a facility. Don't think Topeka ExPo is large enough. Perhaps there is a big college facility that could be used (KU, Bramblage at KSU). What's at Washburn U. Too bad Kemper is in KCMO. Don't think there is anything large enough in the KCKS area!!

yeah in the KC area there is nothing big enough...and i go to washburn and there is nothing there big enough either but i still think the Expo Center would be big enough because they have kids state there and there is more kids wrestling at kids state than high school state
Posted By: Jim Gaither

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: rockyhorror
i still think the Expo Center would be big enough because they have kids state there and there is more kids wrestling at kids state than high school state

And no one has EVER complained about Topeka or the Expo Center, have they?

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Gaither
Originally Posted By: rockyhorror
i still think the Expo Center would be big enough because they have kids state there and there is more kids wrestling at kids state than high school state

And no one has EVER complained about Topeka or the Expo Center, have they?
im not saying Topeka is perfect...i would just like to see schools that live in the Wichita area who dont have to travel to state travel and move the state meet out East every other year

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 01:17 AM

Understand a lot of little kids wrestling on smaller mat areas. Can you get 8 big mats for HS in the ExPo. Actually you should be able to do the 5A and 6A on 6 mats. Three was the number of mats per class when they wrestled at the Kansas coliseum. Bet you can get 9 to 12 mats in either the Allen Field House at KU or Bramnlage KSU by not pulling out the lower seats. I think the Missouri State WrestlingTournaments are held at the Mo. U. field house. Could probably host all four classes in either of those places. For all 4 classes I would probably have to go with KSU--to cut travel costs for and missed school days for the 321A schools from way, way out west.
Posted By: wrestlingspectat

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 01:51 AM

The Topeka Expocenter is NOT an option for KSHSAA. The reason this is, that the Shrine Circus uses the Expocenter on the weekend of the State Wrestling tournament and has for MANY MANY years. Obviously the Expo Center is not going to tell the Shriners they have to choose another weekend, and KSHSAA most certainly does not want to change their calender.

Therefore the Expo center is not a consideration for a venue.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 02:26 AM

I highly doubt that KU will ever let anything go on in Allen Field House besides KU basketball...but i could see KSU having state at Bramnlage

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 02:38 AM

Now we are talking go KSU! that would be Great if we could get it there!
Posted By: badbo

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 01:33 PM

I am fine with the current facility if the "customer service" issues were fixed. Topeka has issues as will any other venue. These people made the Topeka staff look like saints though.
Posted By: C. Morgan

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 01:48 PM

MO does have their tournament in the new MIZZOU Arena. This was the fourth year it was held there. All four classes compete thur-sat with 2-3 sessions per day. Once a session is complete the entire building is cleared and all must leave and buy another ticket for the next session $8 a pop with no option to buy an all session pass. If you need to leave the building for something (forgot your camera in the car) you buy another ticket. KUDOS to the CL 5/6 fans forcing Intrust to modify policy. Too bad MO can't get MIZZOU to do the same.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 02:06 PM

I thought the Intrust Arena was great, I knew the rules going in and abided by them with no problems. The food was great and I thought fair priced for what you recieved. If you didn't have the footlong Brat with Kraut, onions and peppers you missed out on a little slice of heaven.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 02:12 PM

I say lets do it at arrowhead or wichita state university on the football field outside. oh yeah it might be a little chilly though but maybe they would let us bring our own heaters. we could move it to florida so we can do it in an outside arena.
Posted By: Pitt Pe-Pa

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 02:23 PM

isn't the Shrine Circus at Intrust Arena this year? They were advertising it.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 02:24 PM

If it is coming to Wichita it would have to be. The Coliseum is closed and being mothballed.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:01 PM

The reason I like KU or KSU are: could probably get all 4 classes under 1 roof--certainly 3 classes; Ku or KSU closer to the population center of Kansas (a little NE of the geographic center); either is a neutral site for all classes; either gets the kids on and around a big University campus; JC and Manhattan or Lawrence areas big enough (motels, restaurants, etc.) to support a four class event; lots of schools all classes within a shorter driving distance and could commute each day from home (save motel costs). Could probably come up with more reasons if thought about it. Oh yow, I think KSU pulls lots and lots of students from western Kansas--maybe the majority of the student body.

For all of the above reasons, plus to lighten the blow to western kansas, would probably vote for Bramblage. JC and Manhattan, or Lawrence, wrestling communities should press hard on this. A big boon to a local economy.!!!

Just added this reason: the fans ould visit that bar, restaurant, and more bars area off campus in Manhattan--forget what it is called--help me out here!!!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:32 PM

The reason I like KU or KSU are: could probably get all 4 classes under 1 roof--certainly 3 classes;

No you can't! Maybe not even two classes unless you use three mats per class. Both Bramlage and Allen are built as ******ball arenas and would not accomodate enough mats.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
The reason I like KU or KSU are: could probably get all 4 classes under 1 roof--certainly 3 classes;

No you can't! Maybe not even two classes unless you use three mats per class. Both Bramlage and Allen are built as ******ball arenas and would not accomodate enough mats.

MIZZOU Arena is a B-ball arena and they find a way to fit 8 mats.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Tiger Style

I have never been in MIZZOU arena so I can't say but take a look at any ******ball floor and judge for yourself how many mats would fit on it.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Tiger Style

I have never been in MIZZOU arena so I can't say but take a look at any ******ball floor and judge for yourself how many mats would fit on it.

I've been in Bramlage and MIZZOU Arena. I have seen with my own two eyes 8 mats on the floor of MA. They accomplish this by keeping the floor bleacher seats rolled up. I'm sure Bramlage could do the same. I don't really care which building is used...just want to see all four classes in one place.
Posted By: doug747

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:43 PM

Some of those arenas do have lower level bleachers that slide back to make more room, but I don't have a clue as to which ones might or might not. I believe bramlage has all fixed seats, going from memory of a camp we went to there one time.
Posted By: REVOLUTION

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:50 PM

The state has made it pretty clear in rules meetings that the State sites will not change. 3A always in Hays, 4A always in Salina and 5-6A in Wichita at newest venue.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 03:50 PM

The only place you are going to be able to do that is Intrust and even then you will have to extend the tournament another day or two. Not that I would mind, but I think you would have some BOE members upset.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 04:06 PM

Whats the deal with 3 mats per class. When 456A was all at the Kansas Colosieum there were 9 mats, three per class. 3 in aline for 5A, 3 in aline for 6A. For 4A 3 mats set in a stair step (1 on 2--2 mats in line with 5 and 6A mats, the 3rd on the end splitting the 2). Wrestling flowed smoothly--no backups--everything on schedule. 4A with the 1 on 2 configuration was the best seats inthe house for watching the action--not so strung out. 5 and 6A fans globbed up down the sides and one end. If you were watching 5 or 6A from the end--behind the backboard--and you wrestler was on the end mat next to 4A you hand to watch with binos.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 04:08 PM

I agree, there was always plenty of time on 3 mats per class. I will say that it was nice getting done with the semis early on Friday and it left plenty of time to eat and raise a little cain Friday night.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 04:11 PM

For some unknown reason they have tried to turn these tournaments into two half-day affairs. Not sure if the facility rental is reduced by not having to pay as much help or if there is some party going on that I haven't found as yet. But how else do you explain starting your semifinal matches at 4:30pm on a Friday?
If it were up to me, we would lose the 5th and 6th place matches and go back to three mats per class.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 05:37 PM

Just did a little web research on the Intrust Arena after so many complaints.

The arena is owned by Sedgwick County. It is managed by something called SMS Group. Intrust bank must have bought the naming rights.

All those nasty calls to some little secretary at the bank were probably useless. Needed to call SMS Group or the County Manager or commissioners. I assume the event staff were wearing Intrust vests or Ts but were employees of SMS Group.
Posted By: shawnbudke

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 05:45 PM

Someone mentioned using Allen Field House.....quick question....

If for some reason state wrestling was held there, would the wrestlers have to where skirts rather than singlets?

Just wondering since it is a baskeball location.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 05:48 PM

Contrarian,

It is Aggieville in Manhattan!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 06:41 PM

I thought that is what Bball floors were for, was rolling out wrestling mats on them?
Posted By: Nate Smith

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 06:56 PM

"The site to adore on a basketball floor is wrestling mats from door to door."

One of the better shirts quotes I enjoyed reading growing up on the mat.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 07:27 PM

No skirts at Allen Field House. But wrestlers would have to wear long baggy trunks. However, spandex compression shorts would be optional!!
Posted By: M.Church_AD

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 07:58 PM

Noooooo, Intrust Bank does not own the Arena. We passed a sales tax increase a couple years ago to build it so it is owned by the County. LOL.... I would like to talk to the people that called the bank to complain! Now that is funny stuff! Man, that just made my day I am not going to lie!!!!!!

Intrust Bank paid quite a bit of money to have that building named that. Just like the Staples Center, Sprint Center, etc. smile
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 10:23 PM

Just did a little web research on the Intrust Arena after so many complaints.

The arena is owned by Sedgwick County. It is managed by something called SMS Group.
Intrust Bank Arena is managed by SMG Group. SMG Group also manages the Kansas Expocentre in Topeka.

SMG World Company History

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 10:25 PM

Why are several posters knocking BB. That is "THE STATE GAME" of Kansas. If we did not have the Hawks and the Cats, and maybe the Shockers, we would be lower than whale s***. Just because your runty 125 pounder can't stuff the ball, don't rip all the players, coaches and fans.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/01/10 10:52 PM

It isn't a sport, it is a disease...................

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/02/10 01:51 AM

Why are several posters knocking BB. That is "THE STATE GAME" of Kansas. If we did not have the Hawks and the Cats, and maybe the Shockers, we would be lower than whale s***. Just because your runty 125 pounder can't stuff the ball, don't rip all the players, coaches and fans.

I would rather be down there with the Whale stuff then root for B########l, or K-State. This is the same college that would not drive a National Qualifier to Nationals. He had to hitch-hike, had no coach, and then they reprimanded him because it made the news. The wrestler was Wayne Jackson.

Contrarian, you go ahead and root for your "State Game". I would rather look for a cure and make the state a better place.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/02/10 03:17 AM

Dam!! You really do not like BB.

Why did your wife and kids tell me you are glued to the tube during March Madness. I won't tell if they don't.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/02/10 09:35 AM

March Madness is like Mad Cow disease? If you don't want to get it, just don't expose yourself to it.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/02/10 01:00 PM

One of the issues I have with the college BB in this state is that is doesn't really support kids from the state. Look at the roster, not a whole lot of kids from KS.

Would like to see a wrestling program at one of those schools. I am sure the majority of the roster would be filled by kids from KS and they would be competitive.

I admit, I don't mind watching basketball.....when my DAUGHTER is playing.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/02/10 02:01 PM

BB, FB, VB, soccer and for all other sports, Kansas bigand small colleges and universities, and our JR/CCs, all recruit heavily out of state. Why? They say there is not the talent instate. Maybe so for the JayHawks' level of BB year after year after year. The most upsettig to me is the Jr/CCs. As I have said before, I coached competitive club soccer for years--as some of you have done with kids wrestling. I have watched club soccer from Alaska to Florida and CA to VA, and points in between. Good kids and good soccer all over. Same with wrestling, good kids and good wrestling all over. Look at the rosters of any sport at any of our Kansas Community Colleges. Almost all will be loaded with out of state, and for soccer international, players. To me, CC means colleges at the community level for community students. Out of state and international students and athletes are not from the community. Not to pick on anyone, But look at Colby CC. The wrestling roster lists 18 wrestlers, only 4 from Kansas (3 from Colby and 1 from Oberlien), 12 out of state, and 2 international (Mongolia and Uzbeckstan--how many folks in Colby can find either Mongolia or Uzbeckstan on a globe). Colby is right there not quite in the middle of all that 321A wrestling and they have only 4 local wrestlers on the roster. To me thats not a CC supporting the community. All other CCs rosters in all sports tell about the same story. Coaches are passing each other on the highways and in airports to go recruit. They think out of state and international athletes bring validity and prestige to their programs. Lets use Kansas tuition for Kansas students. And yes, some posters will come on here in a minute lamblasting CCs and CC sports--"they ain't D1". So what? It gets Kansas kids in college and in keeps them in sports.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/02/10 03:19 PM

Betcha a D1 wrestling program at a Kansas big University/college would be filled by out of state kids.

Wichita State would be a great school for D1 wrestling--sitting right in the middle of all that great Wichita/South Central Kansas HS wrestling. No problem filling a roster with D1 quality local kids. Won't happen. No money to run a program--being used for Title 9 girls rowing and team knitting, and if there was a program the coaches would recruit in a bunch of back east states.

Betcha!! Betcha!!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 03/03/10 08:52 PM

Ku BB roster lists 17 names, including 4 from Ks and a fifth from Mo but who played at a KS HS. 4 or 5 is not bad for that big a program.

KSU rosters 13 players. One player listed from Ottawa and Patterson NJ.

WSU rosters 15 with only two KS kids

Total: 45 roster slots, 7 Kansas kids ( 8 counting the MO kid from Miege). At best (8/45) 17.7%. Lower than I expected. Thought at least KSU and Wichita would have more Kansas kids. But, proves my point about coaches passing each other on the highways and in airport terminals!!

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 04/17/10 03:54 AM

Maybe we should have gone with the "no re-entry policy"?

http://www.kansas.com/2010/04/16/1272676/intrust-bank-arena-will-lose-high.html?

Intrust Bank Arena will lose high school wrestling
A KSHSAA official says the Intrust Bank Arena was too costly, and the state is looking for alternatives.

BY JOANNA CHADWICK
The Wichita Eagle

But state wrestling won’t be coming back.

“They pretty well priced us out of the market to use that facility,” said Gary Musselman, the executive director of the Kansas State High School Activities Association.

Musselman said expenses were triple what the KSHSAA paid to use the Kansas Coliseum. The state wrestling tournament was at the Coliseum from 1985-2005 and 2007-2009.

The KSHSAA was responsible for an $11,000 license fee, as well as for merchandising, facility, ticket printing fees and reimbursable service expenses.

“We’re actively looking at other options,” Musselman said of a future site of the tournament. “We’ve met with them and they made it very clear to us that they have no desire or ability to reduce their operating costs.

“Then they made sure to call us back and say they’d have to increase our rent. OK, so you really don’t want us to think about even being able to come back. It’s pretty clear.”

Chris Presson, Intrust Bank Arena general manager, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment Friday.

Heights wrestling coach Mike Church is saddened the tournament won’t be back at the downtown arena.

“I’m very disappointed,” he said. “I thought it was an awesome venue.æ.æ.æ. They felt they were in a high-profile arena. It built up upon the atmosphere of the sport. It was a phenomenal place to have a state tournament.”
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 04/17/10 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Beeson

I would rather be down there with the Whale stuff then root for B########l, or K-State. This is the same college that would not drive a National Qualifier to Nationals. He had to hitch-hike, had no coach, and then they reprimanded him because it made the news. The wrestler was Wayne Jackson.

Contrarian, you go ahead and root for your "State Game". I would rather look for a cure and make the state a better place.

Wow, sad but interesting. Please tell us more Chad. This bracket might interest some to validate Chad's point.

http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/pdf/brackets/NCAA%201973.pdf

I also learned that Mr. Jackson was the Ark City coach during all of those years when they won back to back to back . . . titles.

Re: READ BEFORE ATTENDING 5A & 6A - 04/17/10 05:35 PM

Don't know what the post or the link are about in the previous post. But looking at the schools who had wrestlers in the 1973 NCAA Tournament, and looking at this years tournament, lots of schools are no longer in wrestling. Such a shame to almost kill a historical sport.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums