Kansas Wrestling

Senior Classic

Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Senior Classic - 03/03/10 03:50 AM

Is it just me or does there really seem to be some tension between the 4 classifications of wrestling in Kansas this year. Sounds like there is only one way to solve it. A wrestling match.

Oh wait, we have one coming up. The Senior Classic. Here is a possible look at the lineups of both the teams:

Large School v.s. Small School
112: Dalton Miller-Campus v.s. Nathan Reed-Colby

119: Blaine Smith-Salina South v.s. Zach Sparr-Rose Hill

125: Garrett Jones-Ark City v.s. Brett LaMar-Silver Lake
Steven Plott-Salina South v.s. Logan Singular-Clay Center

130: Lane Greenlee-Garden City v.s. Colt Rogers-Smith Center

135: Kash Biddle-Ark City v.s. Chase Nichter-Valley Center

140: Vance Oliver-Winfield v.s. Tyler Anderson-Clay Center

140/145: Cody Shavlik-Derby v.s. Danny Floyd-Osborne

145: Joey Dozier-Garden City v.s. Aaron Morgan-Abeline
Tyler Davis-McPherson v.s. Kaenon Keiswetter-Norton or Derrick Weller-Piper

152: Jason Seibel-Salina South v.s. Cade Blair-Valley Center
Andrew Laib-Emporia or Jake Walker-STA v.s. Sage Thimmesch-Garden Plain

160: Logan Gaskill-Emporia v.s. John Hambleton-Labette County
Todd Curtis-Gardner Edgerton v.s. Nick Thibault-Halstead

171: Parker Madl-Blue Valley v.s. Benny Armstrong-Andale
Evon Royal-Junction City v.s. Matt Atwood-Smith Center

189: Jonathan Truman-KMC v.s. Dylan Walker-El Dorado

215: Mark Kolmer-Emporia v.s. Ethan Jirak-Oakley
Kyle Caylor-Wichita NW v.s. Taylor Wuthnow-Abilene

285: Beau Bennett-Pittsburg v.s. BJ Finney-Andale
Trey Page-Wichita NW v.s. Tank Burns-Columbus
Lorenzo Serna-Emporia v.s. Cody Huffman-Douglass or Jared Rice-Phillipsburg
Posted By: MaxPain

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 05:09 AM

Very solid list.. Left out one.. Danny Floyd 140 for Osborne. He may not light up the score board but he may be one of the bigger dark horses in this state.... Kid is talented. Tons of natural talent and he wrestles very smart.

I want to see Floyd vs. Anderson or Floyd vs Nitcher. I know it won't because all are considered small school.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 06:24 AM

Yeah, I kind of missed him. I couldn't find a matchup of a state finalist senior at 140 from the upperclasses besides Vance Oliver. I'll add Floyd to the list above though.
Posted By: Lucas Baker

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 07:36 AM

when is this planned to go down and where?
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Lucas Baker
when is this planned to go down and where?
March 21, 2010 - Emporia High School!
Posted By: wrestling67

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 11:16 AM

Thats a bad time to have it. Seniors are leaving the next day for Va Beach.

Mel
Posted By: James Stout

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 01:57 PM

We havent received the itenary yet but the Seniors usually Fly out on Wednesday. Their weigh-ins are Thursday the 25th and dont wrestle in until Friday the 26th.
Posted By: Dylan Campbell

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 03:53 PM

Might want to add Jace Campbell. It would be too bad if kid that placed 2nd 3rd 2nd 1st didn't get to be a part of the dual.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Dylan Campbell
Might want to add Jace Campbell. It would be too bad if kid that placed 2nd 3rd 2nd 1st didn't get to be a part of the dual.

This was not meant to be a slight to Jace Campbell, I just couldn't find him a good matchup, the same thing happened with Danny Floyd. I really wanted to put Jace into the roster, but there was no marquee matchup with a senior placer from 5A or 6A at 135. Both of the placers besides, Kash Biddle, finished 6th with over 15 losses apiece. There were also very few 130 or 140 wrestlers who could fit into a decent matchup for Campbell. For me Nitcher gets the nod with 2 state championships, a runner-up finish, and a 3rd place medal. What I could see happening for the 135 class is a double match for Biddle with Nitcher and Campbell.

Is Jace planning on following in your footsteps and attending Colby CC or is he looking elsewhere?

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/10 04:34 PM

He's still thinking about it. I don't think he'll go to Colby though. He'll probably wait until after nationals before he makes up his mind.

Hopefully they can find a match for him. If nothing else it would be nice to have another match going into Nationals.
Posted By: #1fan

Re: Senior Classic - 03/05/10 11:01 PM

The wrestlers that are supposed to wrestle in this how do they find out that they are in it and when to be there and what not
Posted By: Stand Up King

Re: Senior Classic - 03/05/10 11:22 PM

What about Dillon Charland and Isaac Ruiz? I know that neither won state as a senior but one is a state champ and the other has been in the finals 3 times. I dont know, just thought it would be nice to see them in the dual as well. I believe they deserve it. Two great young men!!
Posted By: Coach Davies

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/10 12:50 PM

Has their been an "official" lineup selected for this event? If so who? Thanks
Posted By: ROBERT M. GONZALES

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/10 02:26 PM

Zach this is FYI: The KWCA is currently working on the line ups. We met on Sunday here in Manhattan and selected the teams. The one guideline we follow is also Senior State Champions are asked first. This was established back in the late 1980 s when we put this event on it was a wish of Coach Bob Cairns of Trailhands Wrestling Club. I will tell you that I received a phone call last night and several state champions have declined invitations. After I make several post. I will be calling several 6 A state runner ups to fill some spots. I hope this helps. If you have questions or concerns feel free to email me at robertgo@manhattan.k12.ks.us Thank you RMG
Posted By: DOUG MOORE

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/10 04:27 PM

I too was involved for 20+ years with the Senior Classic. It is not about the match-ups it is about the reward of being invited as a senior state champion. Senior state champs should always get the first opportunity.
Posted By: Coach Davies

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/10 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info, I was just curious about the line-up.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/10 06:23 PM

I am wondering with all of the increasing opportunities to wrestle after the season if it is taking a toll on interest for the Senior Classic. The S.W.MO. vs S.E.KS. dual is just the most recent example. Has the Senior Classic run it's course?

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/10 06:33 PM

I do not think so! But I am all about getting opportunities for young people. I know it is a lot work and attention to detail for the Class reps. But once we get to the meet.It is worth the effort. One year I was in Cleveland, Ohio with Tanner and Phil a couple of my wrestlers and I had to coordiante seniors from my hotel phone. Now that was a heck of a bill. If the State Champion is unable to particpate. No problem the KWCA ask the next highest finisher. i just got off the phone with a 5A Coach and a 6A wrestler and I am glad I was able to find them before we start spring break this Friday. Have a GREAT DAY. RMG
Posted By: lakemats

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/10 07:43 PM

I love all the opportunities for our ks wrestlers. a little dissapointed that some of our seniors are turning down this opportunity. i understand injuries and prior commits, but this is the marquee event for our state. lots of athletes aren't invited that would love this chance. i'll be there in emporia. and i'll watch some of the best in our state compete.
Posted By: Ben Dover

Re: Senior Classic - 03/12/10 04:31 AM

Senior Classic
The Class of 2010
March 21 @ Emporia High School

Small Schools vs Big Schools

Wt
Small Class
Large Class
Match Team
Coaches
112 (EX) Trevor Boyer Mill Valley vs Issac Ruiz Junction City
119 Brett Lamar Silver Lake vs Blaine Smith Salina South
135 (EX) Colt Rogers Smith Center vs Chase Nitcher Valley Center
135(EX) Jace Campbell Oakley vs Derrick Weller Piper
140 (EX) Tyler Anderson Clay Center vs Danny Floyd Osbourne
145 Aaron Morgan Abilene vs Tyler Davis McPherson
152 Cade Blair Valley Center vs Jason Seibel Salina South
152 Sage Thimmesh Garden Plain vs Trip Hiller Olathe South
160 Nick Thaibault Halstead vs Austin Willis Shawnee Heights
160 John Hambleton Labette County vs Logan Gaskill Emporia
171 Matt Atwood Smith Center vs Evon Royal Junction City
189 Dylan Walker Eldorado vs Steven Cooksley Seaman
215 Ethan Jirak Oakley vs Josh Hicks Goddard
215 Taylor Wuthnow Abilene vs Kyle Caylor Wichita Northwest
285(EX) Beua Bennett Pittsburg vs Trey Page Wichita Northwest

Date: Sunday afternoon, March 21, 2010 2:00 P.M.

Location: Emporia High School, 3302 W. 18th, Emporia KS 66801

Who: Kansas Senior Wrestlers

Admission: $3.00 per person. Coaches with a current USAW membership card and KWCA members receive free admission.

Format: Dual format with Big Schools (6A and 5A) vs. Small Schools (4A and 321A). We will wrestle three 2-minute periods with National Federation Folkstyle rules applicable.

USA Card: Each wrestler must have a current USA Wrestling card with them to participate. Cards will be available for purchase at the event for $35.00.

Sponsorship: The Senior Classic is sponsored by the KWCA and USA Wrestling, and also by the USA Kansas-Kids organization. This allows us to have a first-class event with very minimal cost to the participants. We would like to thank these sponsors for their support of this fine event.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Senior Classic - 03/12/10 01:05 PM

Rogers/Nitcher! Great job guys for making this happen.
Posted By: HEADUP

Re: Senior Classic - 03/12/10 10:49 PM

will this match have any bearing on the FAB FIVE?
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Senior Classic - 03/12/10 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: HEADUP
will this match have any bearing on the FAB FIVE?

Quite possibly.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/12/10 10:58 PM

should give about ohhhh say 6 pages of stuff, leading up to it.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Senior Classic - 03/13/10 03:24 PM

What happend to Madl and Armstrongs second match? any info
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: Senior Classic - 03/13/10 06:50 PM

Would some of you please indicate the places at state of the kids you know for this event?

IE. Rogers (1,1,1,1)

Is Nitcher (2,2,1,1)?

I imagine it will be in a program but seems like we got plenty of time to put together most of that info via this thread. And, not much fun trying to watch a match and read a program at the same time!

With the asked for data, me and my friend have plenty to talk about during the 1.5 hour drive to EHS.

Thanks.
Posted By: chewie

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 12:13 AM

Anderson vs. Floyd should be a dandy as well.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 01:30 PM

Lets see - I know Anderson was 2,1 his last two years. What did he do his first two years?

What did Floyd do at state through out his career?

Finally, why are some of the matches listed as EX? I imagine that means exhibition and they will not count for team points. If they is so, why are they exhibition in the first? Or, said another way, why are some of the matches exhibition and others or not?

Still waiting for some help please on career accomplishments of these wrestlers. If some could help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 02:41 PM

I think some of those EX match ups are 1,2,3A vs 4A.
Or smaller school vs smaller school
or big school vs big school

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 02:51 PM

Thank you Smokey!

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 04:53 PM

The 321A wrestlers' placings were:

Floyd 5,1,1,1
Campbell 2,3,2,1
Rogers 1,1,1,1
Jirak 5,1
Thibault 5,1
Atwood 4,1
Thimmesh 2

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 05:55 PM

Thank you Mr. Campbell. Much appreciated!
Posted By: 4 The Sport

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 06:13 PM

What changed this year with Senior Classic not coinciding with Kids State Tournament? Those 2 always worked great together.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: 4 The Sport
What changed this year with Senior Classic not coinciding with Kids State Tournament? Those 2 always worked great together.
The NHSCA Senior Nationals are the same weekend as USAW Kansas Kids State Tournament. The Senior Classic was moved to March 21 in order to allow Seniors participating at Senior Nationals the opportunity to also participate in the Senior Classic.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/10 11:53 PM

Here is what I came up with. Let me know of any and all errors you might find. Just based most of this off of copy and pasted saved past results in my PC.

The SR Nationals thread shows Mr. Morgan from ABL as (2-1-2-2). Very impressive! For some reason my copy paste stuff could not find Mr. Morgan at all. Although it did find other ABL wrestlers. Any ideas? Thanks.

112 (EX) Trevor Boyer (NP, NP, 1,2) Mill Valley vs Issac (4-1-3-4) Ruiz Junction City

119 Brett Lamar (2nd) Silver Lake vs Blaine Smith (6-1-3-1) Salina South

135 (EX) Colt Rogers (4x’s champ) Smith Center vs Chase Nitcher (3-2-1-1) Valley Center

135(EX) Jace Campbell (2-3-2-1) Oakley vs Derrick Weller (2-4-NP-3) Piper

140 (EX) Tyler Anderson (5-3-2-1) Clay Center vs Danny Floyd (5-1-1-1) Osbourne

145 Aaron Morgan (2-1-2-2) Abilene vs Tyler Davis (NP-3-2-1) McPherson

152 Cade Blair (NP-1-1-1) Valley Center vs Jason Seibel (6-NP-4-1) Salina South

152 Sage Thimmesh (2) Garden Plain vs Trip Hiller (5-NP-3-1) Olathe South

160 Nick Thaibault (1) Halstead vs Austin Willis (5-6-4) Shawnee Heights

160 John Hambleton (NP-NP-1-1) Labette County vs Logan Gaskill (5-1) Emporia

171 Matt Atwood (4-1) Smith Center vs Evon Roya (NP-NP-3-2) Junction City

189 Dylan Walker (NP-NP-5-1) Eldorado vs Steven Cooksley (6-3) Seaman

215 Ethan Jirak (NP-NP-5-1) Oakley vs Josh Hicks Goddard (5-5-2)

215 Taylor Wuthnow (NP-NP-2-1)Abilene vs Kyle Caylor (2-1-1-1) Wichita Northwest

285(EX) Beua Bennett Pittsburg (1) vs Trey Page (4-NP-2-1) Wichita Northwest
Posted By: Trent Gunter

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/10 01:41 AM

This entire thing has been somewhat confusing. I have read about invitations and kids declining along with the line up being posted as "possible" or tentative. We have not received an invitation, phone call, confirmation that we are wrestling and the opponenet that has been selected for us to wrestle has changed as well. Who is wrestling at 189, Dylon Walker vs. who?
Posted By: jojo

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/10 02:16 PM

Morgan was a three time finalist in Mo. One time finalist in Ks.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/10 03:43 PM

Thanks Kevin. Was he big schools or small schools in MO? Not that it matters much, just curious.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/10 04:40 PM

Mr.Trent Gunter: Please PM or email me. Robert M. Gonzales at,
robertgo@manhattan.k12.ks.us I truly believe that the #189 wrestlers have been contacted via their respective high school coaches. I know when contacting the 6 A athletes, I email/or call the coach first. I have not seen Dylon Walker of El Dorado wrestle! but I have heard he is very deserving and I hope he was extended the correct contact information. I know and have watched
Steven Cooksley for the past four years and I know Coach Charbonneau of Emporia HS made contact with his HS Coach. Please contact me. I would like for this event to be great experience for Dylon Walker of El Dorado. RMG
Posted By: C. Morgan

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/10 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: dwelsh
Thanks Kevin. Was he big schools or small schools in MO? Not that it matters much, just curious.

He competed in both CL 3 & 4 which are the two big classes in MO.

2007 CL3 103 lb Runner-Up - Blayne Shockley Champion
2008 CL3 112 lb Champion - Blayne Shockley Runner-Up
2009 CL4 130 lb Runner-up - Luke Greco Champion

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/10 07:53 PM

Wow. Tough competition! Thank you.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/10 10:03 PM

Need the Wrestling community help. Working last minute here at my desk on the Senior Classic for this Sunday. I still need the Wrestler Profile on the following Seniors. Trip Heller, Olathe South, Nick Thaibault of Halstead and Trey Page of Wichita Northwest HS. I know these young men have agreed to particpate this Sunday. But I did not get their information sheet faxed back to Ryan Karjala of Emporia 620-341-2376. So I have been tracking down wrestlers this afternoon to help Coach Karjala with the program for this Sunday in Emporia. If you know these wrestlers please have them send me a email to Robertgo@manhattan.k12.ks.us Thank You. I would give out my cell #. but the last time I did that Coach Albright of Chanute HS sent me some goofy text messages. Thanks RMG
Posted By: Steinle

Re: Senior Classic - 03/19/10 10:56 AM

Hi Robert,
Could you please place my name on the pass gate list for the Senior Classic? I will be covering the event for the Osborne County Farmer and the Smith County Pioneer. Thank you very much for your assistance and putting on a great event.

David Steinle
Main Street Media Sportswriter
Russell

Re: Senior Classic - 03/19/10 10:58 AM

Sounds like this is going to be a great event. I'm glad to see Colt Rogers wrestle as one of the rare four-time state champions. Of course, if Valley Center would have stayed 5A, the match with Nitcher would have counted toward the team scores, but still, it should be fun to watch. I'm also glad to see Danny Floyd get a shot. Last year, Aaron Geist represented Osborne very well.

Emporia is a little tough for us from the west to get to, but those who care about the kids will take the time to make the trip. It's worth it on a Sunday, especially since KU and K-State will have already played. Just hope the snow clears out.
Posted By: Doug Vander Linden

Re: Senior Classic - 03/19/10 03:14 PM

David -

You are on the Pass Gate for Sunday's Senior Classic in Emporia. Thanks for letting us know you will be there.

Doug Vander Linden
KWCA Treasurer
Posted By: Rasslin Riter

Re: Senior Classic - 03/19/10 04:27 PM

Doug --

If it's not too late, would you please include me on the pass list for Sunday? I'll be covering the Senior Classic for The Ark Valley News in Valley Center. Thanks.

Randy Fisher
Sportswriter
Ark Valley News
Posted By: Doug Vander Linden

Re: Senior Classic - 03/19/10 04:32 PM

Randy -

I have added you to the Pass Gate. Thanks for coming to cover this event! See you on Sunday!

Doug Vander Linden
Posted By: DSnydOSS11

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/10 05:23 AM

will there be a dvd to buy?
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/10 07:05 PM

Yes ... available thru the KWCA

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/10 07:09 PM

send $20.00 to:

Doug Vander Linden
Burlington School Distict
200 South Sixth Street
Burlington, KS 66839

he will need:
Name, address, phone number

check payable to:
K.W.C.A.

phone number for further info:
620-364-2054
Posted By: PurpleDad

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/10 09:39 PM

Any news on the weather/roads?.....we are getting hammered in the Southeast..... planning on driving up tomorrow morning.
Posted By: shak4z

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 02:17 AM

Media people crack me up. Always looking for a free ride. $ goes toward something pay and move on.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 03:29 AM

Shak, I'm a media member and I agree with you. At the 2A state basketball tournamnet, media couldn't go in the hosptality room this year because other media members were stuffing food in their pockets last year. Most media members are so damn cheap it's sickening. It makes me embarrassed sometimes I chose the profession.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 03:43 AM

I too am in the media and ironically I too was at 2A basketball this year. Are u accusing me of something. Just kidding.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 12:56 PM

shak, i know you are a better shot. you wouldn't miss and hit your pocket! haha. besides if you eat the evidence....what evidence? right/

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 04:16 PM

Agreed HEADUP
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 07:55 PM

any results?
Posted By: djackson

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 08:53 PM

I figured someone would be hooking us up with results.
Posted By: Magnum811

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 09:20 PM

Some really nice matches. I'll go to my truck and get the results.
Back in a minute.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 09:24 PM

119 - Smith by fall over Lamar
135 EX Nitcher 9-4 over Rogers
Campbell 7-6 over Weller
140 EX Anderson fall over Floyd
145 Ex Davis 11-5 over Laib (No Morgan)
152 Blair 9-1 over Seibel

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 09:27 PM

152 Hiller 3-1 over Thimmesh
160 EX Gaskill 9-1 over Willis
160 Gaskill 3-2 over Thaibault
171 Royal 5-4 over Atwood
189 Walker 13-6 over Cooksley
215 Jirak 6-5 over Hicks
215 Caylor 12-2 over Wuthnow
285 EX Page over Bennett 7-2
EX Surna over Page 4-3

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 09:27 PM

Large Class 19
Small Class 10
Posted By: djackson

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 09:32 PM

Thanks Magnum

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 09:36 PM

If you want details of a match, let me know. I think Randy Hinderliter might be posting something later.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/10 11:28 PM

Yes ... I will post but not the individual match details! The postings above, to my notes, is accurate!

Here are a few reflections! It was a great turnout, given the weather and the conflict with other events!! I wish there was some way we did not have the scheduling conflicts!

Blaine Smith looked pretty dominant!
Gaskill with two wins!
Campbell over Weller in OT!
Clay Centers, Tyler Anderson was impressive!!
Last second wins by Hiller, Royal and Jirak!
Big Train Caylor was convincing!

and Rogers v. Nitcher was the highlight of the day! Nitcher took a 5-0 lead early ... Rogers works back to trail by 2 late ... Rogers tries a head-and-arm with 5 seconds ... had it locked up ... but Nitcher rolled him through!

All these athletes and the fans need to commended for their support of this great event!

Kudo's to the KWCA for sponsoring this event! While there weren't many of the big/small school matches, there were a few exhibition matches that were fun to watch!!

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:06 AM

Very good summary. Thank you.

Man, that Nitcher/Rogers match was something else! A battle of long leverage vs. short/quickness.

More than once it looked like Nitcher was going to rip one of Colt's shoulders off. Nitcher was really working them hard.

Then at one time Colt picks up Nitcher and dumps him on his head and starts to bend/flex Nitcher's back as Nitcher is going to his back. The refs wisely stopped it. It looked like Colt was going to break Nitcher in half on that one.

Colt was working the cross-face hard and fast.

Very physical match. Cokeley would be proud. No pussi------n going on during that match!

Maybe they'll meet up again this weekend in VA!
Posted By: DSpaulding

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:11 AM

Side note on the Rogers/Nitcher match.. The 3 point NF for Nitcher in the 1st was very close to potentially dangerous! I believe he had a power half with a cross body in..

Furthermore, in the 3rd period, Rogers hit nitcher on a takedown that was feet to back! But due to the angle Nitchers back was bent, it was called potentially dangerous!

Hats off to both wrestlers! It was an exciting match and A LOT closer than the 9-4 score!

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:11 AM

Whoops. They will be in two different weight classes at VA. I just checked Richard's post about who is going.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:14 AM

guess u beat me to the update.. its hard to post quickly on my phone! sorry for the double post on the nitcher/rogers match..
Posted By: C C

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:40 AM

Wasn't the Rogers vs Nitcher match 9-6? I looked at the scoreboard right afterward. Did they take 2 away from Rogers or something after the match was over? I believe that ref gave 2 on the head and arm, was about to count a NF, and then gave 2 for the reversal by Nitcher.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: DSpaulding
Side note on the Rogers/Nitcher match.. The 3 point NF for Nitcher in the 1st was very close to potentially dangerous! I believe he had a power half with a cross body in..

It was a tough power half from the cross body with a restricted airway, which was easily seen from where I was. Rogers had to pull Nitchers hand off to keep it from covering his mouth. What was surprising to me is that Rogers had Nitcher on his back 3 times -- with the tilt, with the feet to back single, and then with the head and arm at the end. Crazy match.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:46 AM

That very well may b right.. I am not positive!
Posted By: BrandonPigorsch

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:53 AM

Great Job Kansas Seniors I had a blast being a part of a great event. I would like to see some more support from fans and maybe making the event a little closer to the end of the season might get more participation from more of the Seniors.
Posted By: Chase

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: C C

It was a tough power half from the cross body with a restricted airway, which was easily seen from where I was. Rogers had to pull Nitchers hand off to keep it from covering his mouth.

I wasn't there and I'm curious as to how you can perform a power half AND cover someones mouth at the same time? lol

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Chase
Originally Posted By: C C

It was a tough power half from the cross body with a restricted airway, which was easily seen from where I was. Rogers had to pull Nitchers hand off to keep it from covering his mouth.

I wasn't there and I'm curious as to how you can perform a power half AND cover someones mouth at the same time? lol

Chase, problems sleeping this morning also? Ha.

I thought Colt could have got two NF for the tilt. I thought I saw the ref count twice with his arm. It was close. And, I imagine that Colt was giving up some weight since he looked about half the size of Rogers and that Nitcher is wrestling one weight higher at VA. Those factors, plus starting out behind 5-0, it amazing that Colt battled back the way he did. He really showed that BIG HEART of a champion and appeared to have plenty of gas left in his tank (just got caught in that stinking five pointer at the start).

Maybe if they wrestle 10 different times, they would have five different winners. Its a shame somebody has to lose. To me, if was like Nitcher won the first half and then Colt won the second half. But, alas - it is the final score that counts. And, I saw the score board showing 9-6 to Nitcher. Congrats to both gentlemen and I hope you both do great at VA!

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 11:21 AM

There was not a takedown awarded to Colt with the HL. The ref let it play out with Nitcher getting the 2 for TD.
1st - T2 N3 Nitcher R2 Rogers
2nd - E1 Nitcher
3rd - R2 Rogers E1 T2 Nitcher

Matt Collins
Emporia
Posted By: Stand Up King

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:21 PM

Was this be sold on DVD or be on TV at all? I had some obligations with my church but would love to see all the guys battle.
Posted By: Kramer

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:25 PM

http://www.kansaswrestling.org/images/docs/fallclinic/seniorclassicdvd10.pdf

Click on the about link for an order form to purchase a DVD

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Magnum811
There was not a takedown awarded to Colt with the HL. The ref let it play out with Nitcher getting the 2 for TD.
1st - T2 N3 Nitcher R2 Rogers
2nd - E1 Nitcher
3rd - R2 Rogers E1 T2 Nitcher

Matt Collins
Emporia

So, that would make it 7-3. Scoreboard showed 9-6. But I think they were having problems with a few times during the day. Either way, fun - exciting match to watch and Nitcher won.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Chase

I wasn't there

I guess you'll have to buy the video. It was a great afternoon of wrestling, and more folks should've been there. Thanks to the seniors for wrestling for us!

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 12:47 PM

Nitcher points - T2 N3 E1 E1 T2 = 9
Rogers points - R2 R2 = 4

Sorry about that.

Matt

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/10 05:13 PM

No big deal. Thanks for the clarification.
Posted By: huskerfan

Re: Senior Classic - 03/24/10 06:14 PM

Are the results for the senior classic posted anywhere. I haven't been able to find them other than the few scores that have been posted on the talk forum.
Posted By: Mike Juby

Re: Senior Classic - 03/25/10 02:05 PM

I wasn't able to attend this year's event, but I have updated the results page based on the reports that I found in this topic. Here is a direct link to the posted results:
www.usawks.com/HighSchool/SeniorClassic10.htm
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums