Kansas Wrestling

Metro Classic Updates

Posted By: Cokeley

Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:14 AM

Boyer wins 4-0

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:15 AM

Denzel Davis loses a tough battle 4-2.

Alan Waters is up 6-2 after the 1st period.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:18 AM

Alan Waters over Lamar 11-2. Brett must have battled hard not to give up more points. Good job.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:21 AM

Brett is going on to New Mexico State Univ to major in Pro Golf Management. Best of luck to him. Wondering what Harry is going to do now that his last boy has graduated? Great family!

Next up: Kane Lavvorn - Holton vs Travis Peters - O'Hara.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:23 AM

Kane with a lead late in the 3rd. 9-5, can he hold on?

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:26 AM

Kane holds on 9-5. Kansas losing 6-7 after four matches. Louisburg's oldest Hood, Bryce, is up next. He will take on Spencer Courier of Lee's Summit. Spencer is a two time state placer, Hood a three time placer.
Posted By: wrestle007

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:29 AM

much appreciated will! keep em coming. unfortunately i have to leave my comp soon...

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:29 AM

Bryce takes command early with a 4-0 lead in the first.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:30 AM

let's go bryce! get us some bonus points!
Posted By: Buster84

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:30 AM

Thanks for the updates Will!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:31 AM

Jeremy Streumph is officiating for Kansas tonight. Jeremy is a Lawrence area resident and a veteran of many tournaments including the last two 4A State tournaments in Salina.

Hood up 6-1 after two. A pair of takedowns, a two point nearfall and a release to Courier.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:32 AM

Hood and all of the Kansans are in red tonight while the Show Me boys are adorned in black. Courier is warned for stalling, score is 6-2 in the 3rd.
Posted By: Nedly

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:34 AM

Will,

Randy has trained you well!!!

Ned

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:35 AM

Hood adds a takedown 8 to 2 with 45 seconds left.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:35 AM

Courier escapes and the whistle blows. Hood with his hand raised 8-3. 9-6 The Good Guys!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:38 AM

The first intermission of the night. Pop some corn, open a beer, and lets get ready for Derrick Weller and Cody Pierce. Derrick is a three time placer, a one time finalist. I think he pretty much owns all of the Piper records after his four years there. A great kid and I know his dad and grandma are in the stands cheering for him right now!

His opponent from Kearney, MO, Cody Pierce. Cody was faced with some big shoes to fill. His brother Colin was a 4xer in MO. Cody is a two time placer.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:39 AM

Gonz Medina did a great job on the shirts for this event. The crowds are nice and big but not too rowdy yet. Eric Johnson is having a hot dog. He says it is his first of the night...

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:45 AM

College Coaches in attendance:

Former FHSU and Current Neosho Head Coach Wayne Peterson

Current FHSU Head Coach Chas Thompson

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:49 AM

Weller up 2-0 on a takedown in the first. Close to getting two back points. His grandma almost threw her purse at the ref! Just kidding but that would make for some good video!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Nedly
Will,

Randy has trained you well!!!

Ned

I am just getting warmed up. It is hard to do play by play from Los Angeles! smile

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:51 AM

Derek is in command, 5-0. Colin wants to tag in but Cody waves him off! smile

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:53 AM

Weller gets tired of wrestling and decides to just finish it with a pin! Six points for Team Kansas! Go Big Red! 15-7 Sunflower Boys over the Pro Slavers!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:54 AM

By the way... It looks like Kansas will have four of its finest wrestling next weekend in Omaha. Kendrick Maple - OU 133, Neil Erisman - OSU 157, Tyler Caldwell - OU 165 and Jesse Strawn - ODU 197

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:57 AM

Back to the Border War... Free State Rep Micah Flora-Swick was called into action just a couple of days ago. He faces Dylan Marriott. Marriott a long time member of Team Central's youth program is a four time placer and a current state champ for Excelsior Springs. Micah hails from Gardner and has fallen behind 5-0.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 12:59 AM

Micah is a two time placer in 5A for Coach Yeaman's Trailblazers.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:05 AM

Marriott was just too much. Trailing 14-2 a fall was recored with just four seconds left in the match. Kansas still up 15-13.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:06 AM

Our next match pits Trip Hiller, 2010 6A State Champ at 152 against Kaleb Friedly, 2010 4A State Champ at 145. Friedly is one of Park Hill's 6 All Americans.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:07 AM

Trailing 13-0 Hiller gets a half in deep and almost pins Friedly. 13-5 going into the 3rd. Friedly with a takedown, 15-5.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:08 AM

The crowd is starting to fire up! Friedly is headed to Northwestern Univ. He is a two time state champ and a multi time national champ and placer.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:09 AM

Friedly with a wicked elbow gives up a point and finishes 15-6. MO up 17-15.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:10 AM

Todd Curtis, the second Trailblazer of the night up against Daniel Breit of Ray-Pec. Breit a four time placer with two finals appearances never made it to the top of the podium. Curtis has a great physique. Lets get some points back!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:15 AM

Curtis is a two time finalist under Coach Yeamans. Last year he lost in the finals to OU's Kyle Detmer. Todd is up early 4-2! Kick his butt! Friedly and Breit had a few clashes this year with Breit coming out on top in one of them.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:18 AM

Curtis with a big win 6-4! Kansas 18-17! We are showing the Show Me boys!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:23 AM

Willis from Shawnee Heights comes out and hits the mysterious twister several times. When it works it is great but when it doesn't it can be ugly. Logsdon wins 15-0 in 2 minutes and 14 seconds.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:26 AM

Another intermission...Will Eric have another hot dog? How many shirts has Gonz sold? Has anyone enlisted in the Army tonight? Show Me is up 22-18. Next up for us, the beast, Parker Madl! A clash of two state champs. Parker is tan but Lyman is tanner! It looks like two surfer boys getting ready to battle. Lyman is a four time state placer, Madl as well. Madl is a two time state champ and a Fargo AA. Madl is off to wrestle for the Oklahoma Sooners next year. Kansas' 6A Senior wrestler of the year needs to get us six points!!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:28 AM

Rumor has it that Eric pulled a "cutsy" as Sharon Henes looked the other way. He has hot dog in each hand now.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:30 AM

Just a minute 54 left in the intermission. Hurry back with your Bud and get ready for more excitement.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:35 AM

Madl draws first blood. 2-0. I hope he doesn't get any hair gel in his eye! Lyman looks like he showed up for a fashion show not a wrestling match!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:36 AM

Madl broke the fall record for most in a Kansas High School season this year with 40! He needs one right now!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:37 AM

Up 4-0 he is cruising. Coach Paisley has his poker face on as his machine methodically picks his opponent apart.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:39 AM

Up 6-0 going into the 3rd, Parker chooses down.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:41 AM

No fall or even any bonus team points tonight. 6-0 final. Three points for us!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:43 AM

Mizzeri 22 Kansas 21...

Next up..
Jeremie Maus - Tonganoxie High School vs Blaine Conner Platte County

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:44 AM

Maus didn't have his Wheaties this morning. Conner pinned him in 99 seconds. 28-21 Bad Dudes frown

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:46 AM

Park Hill's third representative Johnny "Samurai" Eblen is a current state champ and a Fargo AA. He will face our own David Blazevic from Olathe North.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:47 AM

Blazevic wrapped up a great high school career with a 6th place finish. His third time to place at state.

Eblen up early 2-0.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:49 AM

Blazevic with a 121 career wins.-

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:51 AM

Down 6-1 after two periods. We need a come back! Come on Johnny!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:52 AM

Down 32-21 we need two falls to come back and pull this out of the flames.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:54 AM

Nick Pearch, Blue Valley Tiger, three time state placer is up now. He will gace Devin Mellon of Lawson. A four time placer including four finals and three championships. Nick, we need a pin!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:56 AM

It is not looking good. I feel like we have encountered Quantril's raiders. Pearch is down 10-3 after the first.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:59 AM

We need a killer headlock. Down 14-4 going into the 3rd.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:02 AM

Turn out the ligths, the party is over. The fat lady has finished warming up...

Pearch goes down swinging 5-18...

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:04 AM

MO has more 36-21...
Posted By: djackson

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:04 AM

Thanks Will you made me feel like I was almost there.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:05 AM

Big boys are up. The dancing bears! We are down 3-2 in the first...

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:07 AM

AWESOME, we finish strong with a pin. The big boy from Miege comes through with a pin. Final Missour 36 - Good Guys 27.

Thanks to all of the coaches, wrestlers, and everyone who makes this happen. Until next year...
Posted By: hit it hard!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:11 AM

Thank you Will! Stuck doing an upgrade in San Francisco. It was great getting the updates!

Tony Z

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:16 AM

A big thanks to Eric Johnson. Modern technology too! Eric was sending me texts. I am in my office in Los Angeles wishing I was sitting on a wooden bench in KCK.
Posted By: badbo

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:18 PM

Fun dual to watch. Great job to all the KS boys for representing. I thought. Hood, Weller, Curtis looked really good. Boyer and several others looked good as well.

Can't wait until next year. Both sides have a stong set of JR's.
Posted By: WillyM

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 01:42 PM

A good evening of wrestling. Would like to have seen the score reversed!

Have to acknowledge the wrestlers from the North KCMO area (Park Hill HS, Lawson, Platte County) are truly at another level. Sometimes felt almost they were playing with their Kansas opponents.

Very good efforts by all wrestlers but want to especially acknowledge Kane Lovvorn from Holton and Tood Curtis from Gardner Edgerton. IN the Curtis-Breit match I think it boiled down to who was still breathing at the final buzzer. Maybe too many Big Macs and french fries after state.

Kudos to both referees. Best I have seen this year. Always had control and always in position. No running across the mat to make a call. Patient with action at the edge of the mat until it worked itself out. An approiate amount of stall cautions and calls. Down telling the wrestlers to improve. Good job!! Should get these two to put on some clinics for Kansas refs.

Next Year!!
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 02:11 PM

Some observations... Great effort from our guys and a fun night as always.

112: I was surprised that Boyer didn't get bonus points here. The Ross kid is very tough but Boyer is a 12 pounder vs. 103 for Ross.
112: Davis could have won that match. Very close! At least go to OT.
119: LaMar did good. Only a major to Waters was a nice effort.
125: Lovvern really looked scrappy. Hard nosed win.
130: Hood could have got bonus. He owned Courier and should have cut him twice and got TD's. He is one tough kid!
135: Weller dominated as expected, although the fall was a bonus.
145: Was that fun or what when Hiller had Friedley on his back?! 30 more seconds and we might have had a 10 point swing!
152: They moved Breit up which is a surprise. He is a stud but didn't look interested. He was a lot smaller and Todd did a great job. He is a bull and that was a big win.
160: Madl really could have got one tilt in for bonus. He dominated the match though.
215: You are EXACTLY right about Mellon! Who the heck is that guy? Could Caylor hang with him??? He is for real. No slight on Pearch. He did all he could.
285: Kincaid did great. The Big boy won!

Next year we have Newport, Moeder, Seaton, Tanenbaum, Blew, Scanlon, Cokeley, Baughman and Grimes among others!

Posted By: fudge tunnel

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

130: Hood - He owned Courier

135: Weller dominated as expected

Well, they should have won easily. Hood is a 140 lbr wrestling a 130 lbr, and Weller is a 145 lbr wrestling a 130 lbr.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: fudge tunnel
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

130: Hood - He owned Courier

135: Weller dominated as expected

Well, they should have won easily. Hood is a 140 lbr wrestling a 130 lbr, and Weller is a 145 lbr wrestling a 130 lbr.

That's why it was expected.
Posted By: Harry LaMar

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 04:29 PM

Fudge let me explain a simple fact for you to carry home to your Missouri comrades whining about weigh ins. I will type really slow for you. When I was in college I wrestled 167. I do not consider myself a 167 pounder now. ie The wrestlers all weighed on Tuesday after practice and that was the weight the competed at.
Not the weight they were 3 weeks ago or on Friday. It is a pretty simple concept. If you need further explanation please let me know.
Posted By: Ben Dover

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 05:25 PM

Videos are posted on the MO site.

http://missouriwrestling.com/2010-kc-metro-classic.php
Posted By: doug747

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 06:30 PM

Harry, you are missing his point. He needs an excuse, and he would probably appreciate it if you said "fudge, your boy would have won if he weighed more"
Posted By: fudge tunnel

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Harry LaMar
Fudge let me explain a simple fact for you to carry home to your Missouri comrades whining about weigh ins. I will type really slow for you. When I was in college I wrestled 167. I do not consider myself a 167 pounder now. ie The wrestlers all weighed on Tuesday after practice and that was the weight the competed at.
Not the weight they were 3 weeks ago or on Friday. It is a pretty simple concept. If you need further explanation please let me know.

I wasn't whining about weigh-ins, just simply pointing out that Hood and Weller wrestled much smaller kids, therefore should have won easily. Perhaps I should have typed that a bit slower for you as well, as it is pretty obvious your reading comprehension skills are quite lacking. If you guys need to drop 2 weights to win a match....fine. So be it.

Also, what does you wrestling 167 in college and not weighing that now have to do with anything? Seriously, can you offer any more of an inane non sequitur?
Posted By: Dylan Campbell

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 07:16 PM

For the rest of you who were going to google non sequitur to see what the heck it means like I did:

Main Entry: non se·qui·tur
Pronunciation: \ˈnän-ˈse-kwə-tər also -ˌtu̇r\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, it does not follow
Date: 1540
1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent
2 : a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from or is not clearly related to anything previously said

Look how much you can learn just by browsing the forum! smile
Posted By: windjammer

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 07:23 PM

I thought this forum was supposed to be insane non sequitur. That's what it usually is.

Will,thanks for the updates.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Dylan Campbell

Look how much you can learn just by browsing the forum! smile

Yeah but it typically doesn't happen in a thread involving the state of Missouri.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 07:33 PM

fudge--

the point is that at the weigh ins everyone who wrestled at a certain weight MADE that weight creating no advantage either way. the only advantage you can say that dropping a weight would be if a kid was better due to wrestling heavier compeition all year. hood wrestled at 130, by the rules of the metro that means he had to make weight at 137. i'm sure that he did. your wrestler had to make weight at 137 as well...where exactly is the advantage?

and if you want to talk about weights...last year we bumped a 215 up to wrestle your heavyweight. and that's how we won the duel.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: fudge tunnel
If you guys need to drop 2 weights to win a match....fine. So be it.

Like you guys have done most every year? This year you only dropped Welch, Waters and Marriott one weight.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/11/10 09:23 PM

Fudge, you state you were not whining about weigh ins but this is a direct quote from one of your posts on the MO talk forums,

“Here's the official KS v. MO lineup, with my picks. I wish we could wait and announce our lineup when they announce theirs. Looks like there's some shenanigans going on w/ some weight-dropping”

Now your post was far from being the most accusatory on that site(see Kirk Senzee’s posts) but the insinuation that four respected Kansas coaches, countless fine young men, and their parents are united in a conspiracy to lie and cheat at weigh-ins is a pathetic, chicken sh** , classless act! It is a shame that such a fine event for everyone involved has to be soiled by accusations from parents who are upset that their kid didn’t dominate like daddy thought he should!
Posted By: Jayhawk5

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/12/10 01:05 AM

The homepage is wrong. Missouri won in 2008, so Kansas did not have four consecutive years running.
Posted By: Harry LaMar

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/12/10 03:59 AM

I wasn't whining about weigh-ins, just simply pointing out that Hood and Weller wrestled much smaller kids, therefore should have won easily. Perhaps I should have typed that a bit slower for you as well, as it is pretty obvious your reading comprehension skills are quite lacking. If you guys need to drop 2 weights to win a match....fine. So be it.

Also, what does you wrestling 167 in college and not weighing that now have to do with anything? Seriously, can you offer any more of an inane non sequitur?

Oh Mr. Fudge
1. You have been busted for lies! We could provide about 11 pages of whining on your MO. website about how we don't weigh our kids in Ks.

2. There was no comic relief intended. My son weighed 126 or less on Tuesday at weigh in as did the Waters boy, Therefore they are in the same weight class. Read Slowly and I will try to explain. 2 kids that weigh the same weight on the same night are in the same weight class. One is not 1 or 2 weight classes heavier.

3. To explain further: I do not consider myself a 167 lb wrestler even though I wrestled that weight at one time in my past. You should be able to pick up on the conection here.

And Most Importantly

4. In Kansas we understand that Missouri won, and Kansas lost last night. No excuses, you beat us last night. Good Job.

I only wish I had some fancy word that everybody in Kansas had to look up to finish my post with. Maybe Will will help me out with that one!
Posted By: Gary Ulmer

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/12/10 08:54 PM

Jayhawk 5

You are correct. Kansas has not won 4 years in a row, Kansas has won 3 times in the last 4 years. That error was mine. While writing a pro-Kansas press release I looked at an old program book wrong. I got chastised pretty good for that error at a later Metro Classic Kansas committee meeting.

You know? As far as I know, no one from Missouri has caught it yet.

Gary Ulmer
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/12/10 10:42 PM

The Missouri people on their forum are really complaining about the Kansas team being too big for the weight classes that several of our guys were wrestling. One of their big complaints seems to be that we are wrestling guys in weight class two below the weight class that they wrestled in during the high school season. I just read one person's suggestion that a wrestler in this event should not be allowed to wrestle in a weight class below the one he wrestled in during the high school State competition series only in a heavier weight class. So if you wrestle 152 at State you could only wrestle 152 or a weight class above 152 for this competition. Perhaps that would not be a bad rule. I don't think it is too healthy for the fans of both states to constantly be accusing the other side of bending the rules in this competition. I also do not think it is right to be expecting wrestlers to drop two weights classes from their high school season weight class to compete in this all star competition.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/12/10 10:54 PM

Vince,

I don't think they "expect" wrestlers to drop two weight classes. They "ask" a wrestler if he can make the weight and his answer dictates the decision. Those guys have no idea what they are talking about. Madl weighed 165 at state with his shoes, shorts and t-shirt on. Weller wrestled 140 in at least 3 events this season. That Lyman kid wrestled 171 in the Fall Brawl and pulled to 160 for MO state. Friedley came down from 170 to 145! The Missouri forum has its own crazys!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/12/10 11:10 PM

Eric,

I do not want to quibble about a word (expect vs. ask), but in my opinion I do not think we should be "asking" wrestlers to drop two weight classes either. I say take the temptation out and either just say you can only wrestle at or up from your weight class during the State competition. Or possibly only permit a drop of one weight class at the most from your State competition weight. I realize that the Missouri side is not blameless in this area. I remember five or six years ago when they won several years in a row thinking the same thing that all those Missouri wrestlers sure looked a lot bigger than our Kansas wrestlers. I just truly do not see why a wrestler should be allowed to drop two weight classes for this competition. Don't other post season events have rules like this. For instance doesn't the Senior Nationals restrict a wrestler from wrestling in a weight class lower than the one that he wrestled in at their high school state competition?
Posted By: Massey

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 02:08 AM

Senior Nationals- Weight Classes - 103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152, 160, 171, 189, 215, 285
There will be one weigh-in for the entire event with a 3-pound weight allowance
You may not compete at a weight lower than your state certification weight.
Should your state not have the weight certification system in place, you may not wrestle lower than the weight you competed at the 2009-10 State Dual Meet Championships or Individual State Championships.

Simple solution to the issue...
Lose the 7 pound allowance.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 02:14 AM

I think it is important to note that with the 7 pound allowance the drop is in reality not two weight classes but one! As noted earlier both sides are playing by the same rules and have the same weight to make. Cutting weight for a one time event is a completely different thing then cutting for an entire season.

I say if you are afraid of the “appearance” of impropriety do away with the allowance and then I guarantee you will not see a kid drop “two weight classes”. But guess what there will still be a number that both sides have to make! The kids that were cutting all year will have to move up (like Friedly) and the ones that aren’t cutting much (Waters, Weller) may still decide to cut for a one time event! But probably more would be wrestling at the weight they wrestled during the season. The reality would be NO DIFFERENT then what we have now but it may look better on paper.

I honestly think in the Pierce, Weller situation the MO coaches put a 130 pounder in the 142 spot . They moved a kid up in reality two weight classes! Kansas did nothing wrong,Weller made the predetermined weight that was known to both sides! Its not our fault they put a kid that was two small in that situation. Whatever the number is, it will never solve the problem of a kid moving up two weights, wrestling a kid moving down one!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Massey
Senior Nationals- Weight Classes - 103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152, 160, 171, 189, 215, 285
Should your state not have the weight certification system in place, you may not wrestle lower than the weight you competed at the 2009-10 State Dual Meet Championships or Individual State Championships.

Thank you for the answer on my Senior National question. I agree with you that it would be the solution to the problem. I would also agree that the seven pound allowance is too much.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Massey

WOW! Is this new this year?? I always thought at Senior Nationals you had to wrestle the weight you wrestled at State!

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 04:56 AM

I think maybe you are right and that the state certification option is new this year.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 10:21 AM

No, it has been in place for several years.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 01:11 PM

Thanks, sportfan02. I really did not know that.
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 02:50 PM

I think if you changed all the rules every single year, we would still get calls from both sides complaining about every single one of them. Both teams have had to make allowances for kids who are light for their weight class and those who are barely making it. The seven pound allowance is a good thing, but things will happen. Missouri had to move a kid up a couple of weights to have someone at that weight. We have moved kids down that were very light for their weight so that we could fit kids in and cover all our weight classes with the kids who deserve to be there. Once in a great while those two things collide. You know what, big deal. As for the complaints, who cares. If we are going to get that no matter what, then we just have to do the best we can to put on a good show and let it fall where it may. The formula for this has worked spectacularly well and it won't change in all probability. If we changed every time someone on either side complained we would change every single day on multiple fronts. We know what we are doing and we will keep doing it to the best of our ability. Hope everyone enjoyed the meet, I know I did.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 04:02 PM

I agree, where ever the dividing line is, all the same situations will continue to take place! But it is essential that the coaches know where a kid is and where he can reasonably go in regards to weight! NO KID should feel pressured to cut an unhealthy amount of weight just for a win. It should be more about a kid receiving the honor he has earned then pressuring him into an unreasonable weight cut. I feel that is always the intent of having allowances anyway !

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 05:48 PM

Very good post, Steve. I agree with you.
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 08:44 PM

I don't think anyone has been pressured to do anything on either side of the deal. If that has happened, I have not seen it and I am there for our side of it. This is really old news though as this has been the policy of this meet for eighteen years. It has not been a problem and is not a problem now.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/13/10 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Westfahl
I don't think anyone has been pressured to do anything on either side of the deal. If that has happened, I have not seen it and I am there for our side of it. This is really old news though as this has been the policy of this meet for eighteen years. It has not been a problem and is not a problem now.

Coach Westfahl:

I am going to send you a private message.
Posted By: back in the day

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/15/10 01:33 PM

I appreciated the sportsmanship of the Kansas young men. All but one shook hands with the opposing coaches. I only saw one Missouri team member walk across after the match.

Win or loose it is a classy thing to do.
Posted By: Gary Ulmer

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/16/10 03:35 PM

back in the day,

Kansas has a rule that requires the shaking of hands of the opposing coach, Missouri does not. So our kids are conditioned to do so.

Gary Ulmer

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/16/10 03:52 PM

I hope we always keep that rule. It used to be one of the things that set us apart from other sports but if anyone has noticed they have all copied it from us, even the so-called team sports.
Posted By: C. Morgan

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/16/10 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
I hope we always keep that rule. It used to be one of the things that set us apart from other sports but if anyone has noticed they have all copied it from us, even the so-called team sports.

It is a very good rule. It was one of the first things I noticed at 4A State. I was sitting there making mental comparisons to MO State and thinking "Wow, the KS wrestlers show great sportsmanship across the board win or lose.".

I had no idea it was STATE LAW!
Posted By: mike elliott

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/16/10 06:57 PM

it is not a law or a rule.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/16/10 08:46 PM

But it should be...........................

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/16/10 10:36 PM

Agreed we shake hands prior to a dual, before the match, after the match, and after the dual. Maybe we should shake hands between periods and before restarts.
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/16/10 11:29 PM

Ha! Now that was funny.

Also during injury time-outs, shake hands with all.
Posted By: C C

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/17/10 12:36 AM

If MO wants to put a stud wrestler out there and have him wrestle a guy that normally wrestles 2 classes above him, then that's their mistake. Maybe they don't realize how tough it is to wrestles up, even if you're top knotch.

The only person that can wrestle up effectively at a middle weight is Saitiev. The proof is in his '98 European Championship in which he wrestled up 24lbs from his normal weight of 74kg. If you're not Saitiev, and you're wrestling up 2 weight classes, then you might as well be Joe Blo and plan to go home early. That's no joke.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/17/10 12:50 AM

Wow that’s an idea we can have intermission and the opposing fans will have to line up and shake hands.

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/17/10 01:15 AM

We don't shake the coaches hands at all until AFTER the match

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/17/10 01:18 AM

Sorry to pass along this news to you, but our kids WILL shake hands with their practice partner after EVERY live go we do also. It takes a tremendous amount of energy, so we use it as part of our conditioning....
Posted By: C C

Re: Metro Classic Updates - 03/17/10 01:59 PM

Kids should use a fist bump instead of a hand shake, essentially for the reduction of the spread of H1N1. But, while practicing, the hand shake could be used for conditioning purposes. The fist bump doesn't take nearly as much energy.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums