Kansas Wrestling

Wrestler of the year and each class

Posted By: DSnydOSS11

Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/18/11 05:14 PM

Who do you guess think will be up for each of these?

321a?
4a?
5a?
6a?

alot of tough kids here it will be hard to choose. Got to think the front runners for each class would be Schumacher 321a
Pursel 5a considering there going for there 4th state championships
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/18/11 05:38 PM

6A Matt Reed (Very gifted and tough as nails. 160 is a battler for 2nd place)

5A Bo Pursel

4A Austin Hood (Lots of contenders but a 3rd title should do it)

321A Dylan Schumacher
Posted By: DSnydOSS11

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/19/11 05:59 PM

I think konnor Kriss could sneak up on Austin Hood. Going for his 2nd state title and 4th time placing. Beating hood his freshman year.
Posted By: PurpleDad

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/19/11 10:18 PM

Is this wrestler of the year?....or high school career?

Seems to me to be a different thing...reminds me of Outstanding Wrestler voting at tournaments....before the finals start ballots are being collected for the award...reputation, popular, name recognition....call it what you want, does not pass the smell test.

Is it possible for a Senior who has had a "average" career (no State placing, but winning record) to "come from nowhere" and dominate their weight/classification win State and be considered? My guess is no...
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/21/11 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: PurpleDad

Seems to me to be a different thing...reminds me of Outstanding Wrestler voting at tournaments....before the finals start ballots are being collected for the award...reputation, popular, name recognition....call it what you want, does not pass the smell test.

Is it possible for a Senior who has had a "average" career (no State placing, but winning record) to "come from nowhere" and dominate their weight/classification win State and be considered? My guess is no...

Honestly, it is sort of like OW at a tournament. I have never seen any published criteria but every state champion is the WOY in their class and weight. Then I guess you could look at the All Class rankings to narrow that down to the 14 best. Then you could narrow it down to seniors only. Still you have many outstanding wrestlers. I think you have to factor in who they beat this year, what kind of schedule did they wrestle, and if it is still close then you have to look at their career to break the tie. That is how I would do it. If you aren't ranked the best in your weight class in the state then you shouldn't be considered for Senior wrestler of the year. JMO
Posted By: loveandwrestling

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/28/11 07:48 PM

AMEN! Wrestler of the year. Not overall high school career.
Posted By: Chase

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/28/11 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: PurpleDad

If you aren't ranked the best in your weight class in the state then you shouldn't be considered for Senior wrestler of the year. JMO

So if someone has an outstanding senior year and wins his class but wasn't ranked as such they shouldn't be considered? Doing something like that would seem to me more outstanding if people didn't think you could .. and rankings never mean't anything just nice to talk about, results are what count. No one remembers what you were ranked your senior year.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/29/11 12:20 AM

Results determine your ranking.
Posted By: lazyman_1

Re: Wrestler of the year and each class - 11/29/11 03:00 PM

I would bet if someone exploded on the scene who won every match, TF, pinned, or majored almost everyone that then they would be considered as top senior wrestler for their class. Even if their accomplishments before their senior year were sub par.

but

If someone else at a different weight did the same thing and had multiple years of success. It would be tough not to give it to the more accomplished wrestler. (tie breaker to more accomplished)
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums