Kansas Wrestling

Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual?

Posted By: Holliday Hays

Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 02:39 AM

I believe Newton qualified 13 wrestlers for state this weekend. Has a Kansas team ever qualified all 14 wrestlers?
Posted By: Kale Mann

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 02:43 AM

It happens fairly regularly- once every few years. The only team I can think of off hand that has done it was Manhattan High in the late 90's.
Posted By: jojo

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 02:44 AM

I thought Scott city did a few years ago. They won state that year without a champion. I think Goodland had 3 champs that year.
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 02:47 AM

I think Ark City did it once in 94 and 95.
Posted By: N. Broeckelman

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 02:50 AM

Manhattan qualified all 14 this year.
Posted By: Holliday Hays

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 03:02 AM

....that's just good coaching
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 03:04 AM

SM East took 13 to regionals and qualified 13 this year.
Posted By: Kale Mann

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: N. Broeckelman
Manhattan qualified all 14 this year.

Congrats coach!
Posted By: Rford

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 03:51 AM

Olathe South took 13 of 14 one year...my nephew was the lone hold out---I think that would have been in 1996 or so.
Posted By: Outlaws174

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 03:52 AM

Topeka-Seaman did last year.
Posted By: Michael Malay

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 04:01 AM

Beloit took everyone and placed everybody but one I believe back in the 80's. Could be mistaken
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 04:21 AM

Goddard 1999 State Champions.
Posted By: jojo

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 04:39 AM

I almost said that, but realized the wrestling season does cover two years, which would be one season
Posted By: shwrestlingmom

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 05:10 AM

Shawnee Heights qualified all 14 last season.
Posted By: coachp

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 11:10 AM

Derby did it in 08 and 10 seasons.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 11:20 AM

I am pretty sure St. Thomas Aquinas did it in their championship season of 2007.
Posted By: badbo

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 12:42 PM

Lansing did it in 2009.
Posted By: KansasFisher

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 12:56 PM

The real question is, has a 4a team ever done it? I've seen people in the 5a bracket with ONE win..... that's rediculous
Posted By: firehawk88

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 02:30 PM

KansasFisher, we are talking about accomplishments of teams, please don't bring that here. Just be happy for these teams. Go look up Lucas Baker and be an idiot with him! And yes I am man enough to put my name behind my comments.
Posted By: Ex Heights Coach

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 02:59 PM

The Wichita Heights team of 1976 placed in 11 of 12 weights and those 11 went on to wrestle in the Grand State at Hays.
Posted By: KansasFisher

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 03:01 PM

Too bad im a secret spy, it would be against federal law to put my name:)
Posted By: WillyM

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: KansasFisher
The real question is, has a 4a team ever done it? I've seen people in the 5a bracket with ONE win..... that's rediculous

Do not understand Fisher's question or his intent. Is this another Lucas Baker slam at 5A?

Think it would be very difficult for a 4A school to hustle up 14 state qualifers--or 12 qualifers under the old system--4A schools just not big enough!
Posted By: dljohnson

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 06:34 PM

Garden city qualified all 14 in 98
Posted By: Matt Treaster

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 07:30 PM

After nearly 30 years I guess its ok to brag about my old team . . .

In 1984 Beloit had all 12 of its wrestlers in the finals of the Regional Touranment at Norton(at the time there were only 12 weight classes). Beloit won the first 9 weights at the qualifyer.

At state in Russell all 12 Beloit wrestlers finished in the top six, however, they only placed 4 back then. Nine Beloit wrestlers finished in the top 4 with six winning titles.

Matt Treaster
Posted By: wrestle nuts

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/21/12 08:26 PM

I guess we should let everyone know that Coach Treaster also gets some credit for the Newton team sending all 13 of its kids to state this year. Newton has a great club program
Posted By: wrestlingfaninks

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/24/12 10:07 PM

Phillipsburg came dang close in 1987..... when they won state.
Posted By: Lucas Baker

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/24/12 10:41 PM

Fisher..... Larry and the rest of the 5a guys do not like when I point out how bad there state tourny makes Kansas look. I recently pointed out that 44 kids in 5a had losing records. Thats 20% of the kids wrestling.
They responded by saying they wrestle more quality kids than 4a (which just makes us all laugh)and thats why they have losing records.

Well today of those 44 wrestlers 41 of them lost of the 3 that won there first match 2 of them wrestled another kid with a losing record and one of them had a bye yes I said a bye in the state tournament. I would not be surprised if they only had three kids in a weight at regionals.

Of those 41 that lost I would guess 75% were pinned 15% were tech falled 8% were majored and 2% were simply beat.

These 5a guys get mad at me year after year for point out the weakness in there state tourny.

They love there first round easy wins and do not want to do anything to change it.

They truly do believe they are the best division in Kansas Wrestling so be ready for a battle if you press this anymore.

or you can sit back and watch the post I post later on today after I figure out how many team points those 44 wrestler gave up today and just how many of them went 0-2.

Have a great day and good luck to all wrestlers still in the tourny.
Originally Posted By: firehawk88
KansasFisher, we are talking about accomplishments of teams, please don't bring that here. Just be happy for these teams. Go look up Lucas Baker and be an idiot with him! And yes I am man enough to put my name behind my comments.
Posted By: STEINMETZ

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/25/12 02:59 AM

We qualified 14 in 2004, placed 8. Also the year we won state.
Posted By: Black Machine

Re: Has a Kansas team ever qualified every individual? - 02/25/12 03:50 AM

Beloit lined up 12 out of 12 in the 4A sub-state finals at Norton in 1984! Beloit took 1 side of the mat, everyone else took the other side. Pretty sure they qualified 12 of 12 in 1983 also in 3A. That 1984 Beloit team has the largest margin of victory ever at a State tournament in any class winning by 111.5 points, 193 to 81.5 over runner-up Columbus. 12 wts. 4 medals per weight class.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums