Kansas Wrestling

5 & 6A State live streaming

Posted By: Ryan Jilka

5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 04:33 PM

I just found out more information regarding the live feed for the 5/6A State Tournament, and boy will I need some help!

http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/ will stream the event. All eight mats will be shown. You will have the choice of which mat to watch, and you can open a new screen and relaunch to view all eight mats, if you wish to. The same audio will be fed to all mats, so there is not "play by play" on the mats.

Craig Cassity and I will be doing the audio, but if any of you would like to help out, please let me know. We'll be looking to interview wrestlers, coaches, or other wrestling people that can contribute to an entertaining webcast. We are both Wichita guys, so it would be great to have perspectives from throughout the state. Neither of us are sports broadcasters so get ready for some amateur commentary and poor jokes! grin

Much like the other post asking for premier matches, I'd now ask that you send me names of people that will be in Wichita that would make for a good interview. As I stated earlier, if you would like to come and help us out, the Fox Sports people say it is good to have many people helping. Missouri had ten people working at some time throughout their tournament.

Finally, I believe our new KSHSAA wrestling director, Mark Lentz will be offering some time to come speak to us. If you have any questions that you'd like to have us ask, please PM those to me. I will not try to put him in an awkward position or bash KSHSAA. He is a good wrestling advocate, and he deserves to be treated as such.

Thank you!
Ryan
Posted By: WillyM

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 04:53 PM

Friday and saturday---or just saturday
Posted By: Sudawn Bradley

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 05:07 PM

Wish this was available for 4A! What a great opportunity for all the family/friends that can't travel to the event.
Posted By: tbrummer

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 05:09 PM

Is Cassity the best you could find??? That is a sweet deal!!
Posted By: 3HSWrestler

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 05:27 PM

Ryan, seek out Jeremy Williams. He's the asst coach at GE. Not only can he give you a good interview with his insight, but you may not find a more entertaining coach with as many one-liners as he has.

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 06:08 PM

Fantastic! Keep the help coming. It is supposed to be both Friday and Saturday, every round. I'm not very interesting for five minutes, so Craig will have to have a dang strong back to carry me if we don't get some more help!

I'll try to get Coach Williams to help out often. Thanks!
Posted By: Jim Gaither

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jilka
I'm not very interesting for five minutes, so Craig will have to have a dang strong back to carry me if we don't get some more help!

I've heard that Craig really likes to run his mouth so you should not have a problem filling the air waves.
Posted By: doug747

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/21/12 10:01 PM

The Chief, Eric Johnson, would be a good one to recruit. He did some radio at Basehor Bobcat classic with Travis Phippen. Only problem is he can't leave his school loyalty at the door................ wink
Posted By: powercat1

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/22/12 05:13 AM

BUMP

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/22/12 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: doug747
The Chief, Eric Johnson, would be a good one to recruit. He did some radio at Basehor Bobcat classic with Travis Phippen. Only problem is he can't leave his school loyalty at the door................ wink

I sent an e-mail asking for him to help. Will you be attending our state tournament either day? You'd be a wealth of info too.
Posted By: uwrestle2

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/22/12 06:58 PM

Will this still be broadcasted on channel 22?

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/22/12 07:45 PM

I don't know that for sure.
Posted By: uwrestle2

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/22/12 07:47 PM

If you find that out please pass it on.
thank you

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/22/12 10:27 PM

I don't know that for sure.
Posted By: Mark J Stanley

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/23/12 01:10 PM

Ryan,

If you have a direct link to where we will be able to find the this service please add it here. I went to http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/ but can not find mention of the event...maybe it is too soon. I wanted to start getting the link in the hands of friends/family. Thanks.

Mark
Posted By: Mark Moore

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/23/12 11:39 PM

Found the full link......
http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/pages/kansas_streams
Posted By: WWMama

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 01:43 PM

What time does wrestling start this morning?

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 01:54 PM

http://www.kshsaa.org/Public/Wrestling/StateSchedule.cfm

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 02:26 PM

Looks good--very, very good. Appears to be 8 cameras and lets you pick the mat/match you want to watch. If they have wrestler's names in the banners below each camera box--absolutely great. Hunt and select who you want to watch!!--Hopefully.

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 02:34 PM

Very clear! For those of us stuck working today, this is next best thing to cheer on our wrestlers. Awesome.

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 02:38 PM

Because we're not using Track wrestling, they do not have the ability to put the captions up on the site. Another great reason to switch, if this is correct.

They have changed our directives for the tournament. I'm just going to be updating the 5A mats, and Craig will do 6A. They don't want as many stories/interviews, but I'll try to work in a nugget or two as I go.

You can order DVDs of the event at www.prepfilms.com, according to the coordinator here.
Posted By: powercat1

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 02:55 PM

is 5A on mats 1-4 and 6A on mats 5-8?

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 02:56 PM

No names on banners--OH NO...

Was watching the starting ceremony and noticed one wrestler in the whole bunch--in a hoodie and dancing on his toes---easy to identify Bo Purcell--Lansing 132 going for # 4 championship--a real distinctive dance--of course have been watching him for 4 years.

Great coverage- Now have 4 feeds going on my computer--2 from Hartman and 2 from 321A. Going to be a busy day--probably wind up with a stiff neck.

Good luck and GO Hard everyone.
Posted By: Wrestlerspappy

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 03:00 PM

DOes anyone know what mat 6a 152 will be on?
Posted By: Bender

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 03:04 PM

Change the angle of the cameras so they display the score

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 03:31 PM

The 6a cameras are listed wrong! Mat 5 and 8 are switched.
Posted By: Coach Caruthers

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 09:18 PM

Anybody know if 5a/6a has updated brackets for today anywhere??
Posted By: dogofthetemple

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 09:22 PM

http://shsthetorch.com/wrestling/

5a/6a brackets
Posted By: Coach Caruthers

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/24/12 09:25 PM

Awesome, thank you!!

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/25/12 07:46 PM

Anyone taking note of the crowd at Hartman for 5a and 6a. Also interested in 4A crowd at Salina.

With the Foxsports streaming at Hartman, and if they can improve it, and if the crowd participation would slightly decrease, thinking there may be an opportunity in the future to put 654A tournamenyt under one roof.

Can't tell much about the Hartman crowd on Foxsports--their cameras are tight on the mats.

Know nothing about Salina 4A!
Posted By: Countrygirl

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/25/12 10:05 PM

What's up with the steam? Parade of Champions is supposed to start in 5 mins and it's still showing all 8 mats down and warm ups being done.

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/25/12 10:21 PM

Mat 1 is 5A and Mat 2 is 6A. Mat 3 is 5A podium and Mat 4 is 6A podium.
Posted By: new2wrestling

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/25/12 11:27 PM

You're so smart Jim
Posted By: bockman

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/26/12 03:37 PM

Just wanted to tell Ryan Jilka not a bad job on the announcing. i was able to watch it from my living room while i was also watching tv. maybe you found your next thing in broadcasting wrestling. maybe you can get a job with a tv station so wichita area can get some air time.

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/26/12 05:12 PM

Thanks, Scott. I've been told that I have a face made for radio! Craig Cassiday covered 6A, and I did the 5A. Obviously, neither of us are professionals, but I hope we contributed to the event. We were prepared to do the job a little different, but when we got to Hartman they changed our directives. And once again, I'm sorry for butchering some of the names.

Because the banners were not available, they told us to try to do more "play by play." Next year, I'd bet we'll have the score and time on screen, like they did on other state coverages. Of course, that will mean the use of Track Wrestling. I'm not in the know on this, but I have a pretty good suspicion that it will happen.

Some other things we'll look at next year are:
* Getting wrestler bios before the tournament
* Having better "cheat sheets" about team information. We only knew about doing this for about a week, so time didn't allow for the kind of research I'd normally do. I didn't have access to pronunciations, or other team information. As the event went on, we did learn that Cindy (runs the bracket table) could give us different print outs that helped with match ups. She was a huge help!
* More interviews, because if the scores and times are displayed we won't have to spend near as much time and energy doing that.

Finally, I really appreciate how KSHSAA set up this opportunity. There were over 130,000 "hits" on the site. I believe the state series will only continue to improve as a fan friendly event.

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/26/12 06:19 PM

Don't forget 4 announcers for next VS this years 2 announcers. Need 2 per school class (5A or 6A classes), each covering only 2 mats would make for much better mat coverage, comments, bios. Trying to keep up with just one class was too much work, much less 2 classes. Could just about get the wrestlers names per match and the announcer was talking about anothe mat/match. I think I wore out the buttons on my mouse trying to keep up.

This years initial coverage was absolutely great but could be tweaked to be a lot better next year. Good job by all the announcers--probably see you guys next on ESPN. Thanks
Posted By: bockman

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/26/12 06:54 PM

one thing to add ryan would be during the break. that might be a good time to do your bios for some kids, teams or just wrestling events. i could hear a bunch of women laughing most of the time during the break. also have to try and find a way to be able to see all 8 mats at a time on a small screen then you can choose which mat to watch. i also went from screen to screen not really knowing who was wrestling until you said their names or i clicked on it. other than that i actually enjoyed sitting at home watching it.
Posted By: Paratroop

Re: 5 & 6A State live streaming - 02/27/12 03:38 AM

I thought it was pretty awesome! Not because I got to watch it, I was there, but so many others that didn't have a chance got to see the matches. I also think you got a great chance to spread the word on Kansas wrestling. I facebooked the linked and suddenly friends and family from North and South Dakota, to New Mexico, and up into Oregon would light up my phone and facebook with messages after each one of my boys matches. It was pretty neat because most of those that texted me, don't watch or know much about wrestling, but were tuned in to watch a family member. For that I thank you guys!
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums