145: Greg Hegarty/Blue Springs, 48-1 - MO Cl. 4 Champ

152: Aaron Engle/Staley, 41-8 - MO Cl. 3 Champ

160: Connor Middleton/Olathe NW, 41-1 - KS 6A Champ

170: Chase Wrisinger/Oak Grove, 49-3 - MO Cl. 2 Champ

182: Reece Wright-Conklin/Lawrence, 38-2 - KS 6A Champ

195: Hashem Omari/Oak Park, 39-0 - MO Cl.3 Champ

220: Nathan Butler/Leavenworth, 42-1 - KS 6A Champ

285: Trent Hosick/Staley, 29-0 - MO Cl. 3 Champ

Thanks again for everything during this HS season from everyone at Metro Sports - Kyle Haas
Posted By: powercat1

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/29/12 01:40 AM

Congrats to Bo, Connor, Reece and Nathan.
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/29/12 08:43 PM

Interesting that Blaine Hill was not on this team. He lost to Reed from Heights and I doubt anyone on here would have beaten Reed. Hill also beat Wrisinger 7-0 in the Metro Classic. Blaine Hill is a pretty darn good wrestler.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/29/12 10:50 PM

Wow. They really missed that at 170!
Posted By: Bobby Bovaird

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/29/12 10:57 PM

You know, I may be a little biased, but I'm not sure how a 40-0 senior, a 3-time state champion, a verbal commitment to OSU, a national champion in freestyle and folkstyle, and a national runner-up in greco gets passed over for a 42-2 sophomore state champ. I'm just curious about the selection process for the all-metro team. Austin Hood has been 2nd team all-metro the last two years, and with his accolades this season, I'd think he would be a clear choice for 1st team. Remember, though, I might have a little bias here.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/29/12 11:01 PM

The Metro team is very MISSOURI biased. Always has been.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/29/12 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Bovaird
You know, I may be a little biased, but I'm not sure how a 40-0 senior, a 3-time state champion, a verbal commitment to OSU, a national champion in freestyle and folkstyle, and a national runner-up in greco gets passed over for a 42-2 sophomore state champ. I'm just curious about the selection process for the all-metro team. Austin Hood has been 2nd team all-metro the last two years, and with his accolades this season, I'd think he would be a clear choice for 1st team. Remember, though, I might have a little bias here.

Amen! Austin Hood not on the team????? Lewis was tech by a freshman this year!

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 02:48 AM

Lewis did get tech falled by Diblasi in a very strange match and then came back to tech fall the guy that beat diblasi at the State tourney. Not sure how that works. Hood would have beaten both of them though.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 02:53 AM

Diblasi teched Lewis. I watched the match.

Winnetonka Wrestling Invitational (01/20 - 01/21/2012)
126 (2nd)
Round 1 - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Zach Taylor (Seckman) 10-8 (Pin 1:36)
Round 2 - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 received a bye () (Bye)
Round 3 - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Cameron Swarts (Troy Buchanan) 13-15 (Pin 0:59)
Quarterfinal - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Mac Diaz (Raymore Peculiar) 17-9 (Pin 1:57)
Semifinal - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Jeremy Krout (Winnetonka) 24-9 (Pin 3:11)
1st Place Match - Colston DiBlasi (Park Hill) 21-3 won by tech fall over Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 (TF 17-2)

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 03:03 AM

yep you are right, I just watched it too. The funny thing is the guy that beat DiBlasi at State was then beaten 16-0 by Lewis. Lewis also beat that same guy in the finals of regional. Not sure how any of that works. I just amended my other post before I saw your last one. Very strange.

By the way, DiBlasi is not an ordinary freshman. Hood is better than both of them though.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 03:05 AM

Agree. That cradle makes Diblasi very dangerous!

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 03:08 AM

Yeah he is a critter. Here is another strange deal. Trotter from Allen, Texas beat DiBlasi at the KC Classic and Lewis beat Trotter easily in the finals. Just shows how devastating a good cradle can be on any given day and is testament that no matter who you are, if you put your head on your knee you are going down. Kids, go figure huh.
Posted By: Metro_Wrestling

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 04:35 AM

Metro Classic is an exhibition that took place several weeks after Missouri season had ended. This was a representation for what took place during the HS season. So that doesn't count as a bonus or a subtraction for any of the contenders.

Blaine Hill is a GREAT wrestler. The issue was the lack of common opponents between Hill and Wrisinger during the season. We don't take into account anything outside the actual season itself.

The Missouri over Kansas bias is asinine. With the aforementioned discrepancy at 126 and 170, where do you replace with a student-athlete from Kansas?

Also, Austin Hood would've been the representative, however this is a Time Warner Cable Metro Sports poll. These are the kids that fall into our broadcast audience. We can stretch it a bit if it's close, but Louisburg is too far out.
Posted By: Husker Fan

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Metro_Wrestling
Metro Classic is an exhibition that took place several weeks after Missouri season had ended. This was a representation for what took place during the HS season. So that doesn't count as a bonus or a subtraction for any of the contenders.

Blaine Hill is a GREAT wrestler. The issue was the lack of common opponents between Hill and Wrisinger during the season. We don't take into account anything outside the actual season itself.

The Missouri over Kansas bias is asinine. With the aforementioned discrepancy at 126 and 170, where do you replace with a student-athlete from Kansas?

Also, Austin Hood would've been the representative, however this is a Time Warner Cable Metro Sports poll. These are the kids that fall into our broadcast audience. We can stretch it a bit if it's close, but Louisburg is too far out.

I think saying Louisburg is too far out is not consistent with your list or even the past years list. It would not surprise me that someone from Louisburg may have been all the Kansas City All Metro team in past years. I did a map directions search just now and it shows Lawrence is 40.3 miles from Kansas City, Missouri and Louisburg is 39.3 miles from KCMO. I have a KC Star 3/31/2007 All Metro List from five years ago that has a wrestler named from Odessa Mo which is showing 37.2 miles away. I would say Louisburg is clearly within the acceptable Metro radius to be considered for this recognition.
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
Diblasi teched Lewis. I watched the match.

Winnetonka Wrestling Invitational (01/20 - 01/21/2012)
126 (2nd)
Round 1 - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Zach Taylor (Seckman) 10-8 (Pin 1:36)
Round 2 - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 received a bye () (Bye)
Round 3 - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Cameron Swarts (Troy Buchanan) 13-15 (Pin 0:59)
Quarterfinal - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Mac Diaz (Raymore Peculiar) 17-9 (Pin 1:57)
Semifinal - Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 won by pin over Jeremy Krout (Winnetonka) 24-9 (Pin 3:11)
1st Place Match - Colston DiBlasi (Park Hill) 21-3 won by tech fall over Daniel Lewis (Blue Springs) 32-2 (TF 17-2)

Wow, thanks Chief. I just found the match you are referring to above on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtsBfXF7Z_E

I imagine the Blue Springs staff will use that tape over and over again to teach their kids the dangers and folly of prying your hips up to get to your feet, as opposed to the RIGHT way to get to your feet (an explosive, hand-controlled, UP and OUT!).

The prying your hips up stuff, drives me crazy. Good to see a kid pay the price for doing it. Nothing against Mr. Lewis. Again, I doubt he'll be doing much getting to his feet via the prying himself up from the hips again.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 11:14 AM

Maybe you have to be a Time Warner Cable subscriber!

I wonder what the Direct TV All-Metro team is?
Posted By: CoachSlyter

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 12:16 PM

Also Rory Haug beat Aaron Engle from Staley this year 7-4 at 152 lbs. Rory had a record of something like 25-3. So how does a head to head match up get overlooked?

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 05:17 PM

A big factor is where TWC Metro Sports is aired....it's on in Odessa, Lawrence - not Louisburg. It isn't a perfect circle/radius from the center of Kansas City. Sorry for the confusion.

Rory was on the cusp of it as well, yes Head-to-head is a huge factor. However, Engle's body of work was deemed to be superior, though it was a slim edge.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 05:43 PM

A big factor is where TWC Metro Sports is aired....it's on in Odessa, Lawrence - not Louisburg. It isn't a perfect circle/radius from the center of Kansas City. Sorry for the confusion.

Rory was on the cusp of it as well, yes Head-to-head is a huge factor. However, Engle's body of work was deemed to be superior, though it was a slim edge.

Ok then to reflect what this team really is the title of this All Star Wrestling team should be changed to: ALL TWC Metro Sports Viewing Area Wrestling Team not an All-Metro team because it is not truly representative of an all Kansas City metropolitan wrestling team.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 06:25 PM

You must be a Time Warner subscriber with the premium package and preferably live in Missouri. Also, if you got beat 7-0 in the Metro Classic you are on the team.
Posted By: Quagmire

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 06:59 PM

body of work over head to head? Seems to me like you need to reevaluate your priorities for criteria. Head to head should always be number 1 criteria. If that was their only meeting and they had no common opponents then I am confused as to why Engle got the nod over Haug.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 03/30/12 07:52 PM

This is to Metro Sports more than anything. I am not really griping at you, I know how difficult it is to know what is going on with some of these kids. In regards to Blaine Hill, I think the factor should have been who his only losses were to the last two years. Nobody around here could have beaten the Reed kid from Wichita Heights and that is the kid who beat him both years. Blaine lost to him in the finals last year and in the semi's this year. It is difficult to know that I realize but, maybe in the future, they might inquire about some of those things from some of the coaches over here. I realize you don't factor in the metro classic but when there is a head to head and it is that lopsided, maybe it should be the insight needed to make a real good decision there. Blaine is very easily the best 170 in this area. Hey it is tough to do a deal like this I know and I want to tell you how much we appreciate your efforts. It is never going to look right to everyone and those kids you picked are worthy of anything they get for sure.
Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/01/12 01:43 AM

If mr haug was in missouri and the state champ at 152 I dont think mr engle would have been chosen based on his body of work. Nor do I think mr h would be considered on the cusp.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/01/12 04:04 AM

Asinine...

This poll and the KC Star All Metro team are ALWAYS Missouri biased. Just a fact. Does it really matter? I am sure it does to the kids. I don't know how either is chosen but it seems that Oak Park, Blue Springs, and Park Hill are ALWAYS given way more respect than any of the Kansas wrestlers. Clearly defined criteria and representation from coaches who see all of the kids from both MO and KS wrestle would be a much better way to select.

Just out of curiosity I would like to see your break down of the body of work by both Haug and Engle...
Posted By: WillyM

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/01/12 03:03 PM

I watched the Metro Sports show where they announced the All Metro team. They clearly said several times that the criteria was 1.) won a state championship (I took this to mean this year), 2). Head to head.

I saw Blaine Hill at the Metro. Very, very impressive. Built like a wrestler/swimmer---long and lean equals leverage. But, no state championship or previous head to head with Wissinger--don't know if they had a common opponent.

As for Hood. Difficult to understand why he was not selected--a 3 time state champion (??) and undefeated this year(??). Don't know if he wrestled the competition the All Metro Selectee did.
Stating Louisberg was out of area is a stretch. A rough strait line map measurement from the center of downtown KC to both Odessa and Louisberg is about 28-30 miles--same distance KC to Lawrence.

Will always be disputes over all star team selectees--2 or three different disputes on-going right now on this forum, for example: the Senior Classic Is Definately Rigged!!!!

Nuff said

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/01/12 04:44 PM

126 - Austin Hood

170 - Blaine Hill

Both of these guys earned an All-Metro spot. Maybe not a Time Warner Cable spot. Their absence cheapened the entire award.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/02/12 05:37 AM

Always appreciate the feedback and commentary.

A big (and genuine) thank you to all of you in State, not just KC area for all your help this past High School season. Hope to keep giving more and more exposure for this great sport in the next year. (Fingers crossed, some this Summer).

Please, never hesitate to get in touch with us at Metro Sports.

Thanks again!

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/11/12 03:30 AM

WillyM, Hood was a Fargo National Champ in one style and a runner up in the other. I think that sort of negates any problem he might have had with the competition factor with any of the Missouri guys. He is now committed to Oklahoma State. They simply blew it on him plain and simple.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/11/12 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Westfahl
WillyM, Hood was a Fargo National Champ in one style and a runner up in the other. I think that sort of negates any problem he might have had with the competition factor with any of the Missouri guys. He is now committed to Oklahoma State. They simply blew it on him plain and simple.

I agree. Perhaps they could make up for it some by doing a special story on Austin Hood perhaps to focus on his accomplishments in high school (both local and national) and his decision to go wrestle at national college wrestling powerhouse Oklahoma State University.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/11/12 11:14 AM

He is not a subscriber of Time Warner Cable. That is their policy. His brother Bryce was named All-Metro, but I'm not sure that TW Cable had hijacked the award back then. Either way, the award has been extremely marginalized after adding the requirement that only wrestlers in the cable companies area are eligible. They need to drop the All-Metro label and call it the Cable Company Team.
Posted By: Ed Wilson

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/11/12 01:01 PM

Lawrence isnt Time- Warner cable, but Metro Sports is carried by the local company.
Posted By: shawnbudke

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/11/12 07:01 PM

Folks,

I understand the questioning of the criteria used to pick these awards but I find it somewhat ironic that when other lists/polls get questioned and criticized then some get defensive.

Why do we want to criticize this effort or the fact that it is sponsored by a cable company with certain criteria? We already have enough issues trying to grow our sport that we love and get media attention for it. Now we have a media outlet sponsoring an award and we want to criticize the name and their criteria? I do not understand the logic and suggest we might be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Nothing personal, don't have a dog in the fight. Just an observation.

Shawn Budke

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/11/12 07:27 PM

That's a fair point. I think the fact that the list is named, Metro Sports All-Metro team and that they broadcasted the Metro Classic, led most to believe that two participants in that dual who had clear criteria, should have been recognized. After further disclosure, it was revealed that it was limited to their viewing audience only and that they didn't consider the Metro Classic results in their criteria. That's the only rub.

I do agree that it's a huge positive for Metro Sports to air the dual and publish any list that promotes our sport.

As with any ranking, list or poll, legitimacy is heightened if the publisher provides a basis for their choices. No sense in being defensive. Just state the reason for your decisions.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/11/12 08:18 PM

Chief
I agree and understand the rub. I feel sorry sometimes for folks like you and these guys that do great stuff to promote our sport and then get challenged.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/12/12 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: shawnbudke
Folks,

I understand the questioning of the criteria used to pick these awards but I find it somewhat ironic that when other lists/polls get questioned and criticized then some get defensive.

Why do we want to criticize this effort or the fact that it is sponsored by a cable company with certain criteria? We already have enough issues trying to grow our sport that we love and get media attention for it. Now we have a media outlet sponsoring an award and we want to criticize the name and their criteria? I do not understand the logic and suggest we might be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Nothing personal, don't have a dog in the fight. Just an observation.

Shawn Budke

Shawn,

I am going to disagree with you on this. No one who has been critical of this list was trying to knock an organization that broadcasts wrestling events. I am not sure why you would suggest that. Everyone on this forum appreciates wrestling TV coverage and we all appreciate Metro Sports providing that coverage.

However if Metro Sports is going to start a topic on a Kansas high school wrestling forum that lists their All Metro team they need to expect that there will be some potential criticism and questioning of the selections. If you want to avoid questioning of it simply do not put it on a forum and just announce it on the TV station's news announcement of the team. In this case they should have expected that there would be some questioning of the selections on a Kansas high school wrestling forum especially when only four of the fourteen selections come from the Kansas side of the State Line. Also when an obvious choice like Austin Hood is left off this will raise questions and objections from a Kansas crowd.

And I still say if you are going to call a team an All Metro team then you should include the entire Metro in your criteria. I have never really heard before of a criteria of a media's viewing audience for the selection of an Area All Star Team. And I say that and still very much appreciate Metro Sports covering high school wrestling and definitely want them to continue to do so.

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/12/12 02:00 PM

Vince,

I understand your point and actually agree with you...especially about the names that were left off. I also understand the asking about the criteria being used. I didn't mean to come across as if people were being hyper critical....I don't think anyonw was doing that (at least not as bad as other subjects on this board).

Shawn

Re: Metro Sports : All-Metro Team - 04/12/12 02:51 PM

Shawn, thank you for the reply.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums