Kansas Wrestling

2013 Super Seven!

Posted By: Chief Renegade

2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 08:32 PM

This year was probably the toughest yet to determine the Super Seven! There were seven additional wrestlers that were VERY close to making the list. One almost made me change it to the Elite Eight...

CONGRATULATIONS!

2013 Super Seven:
Nathan Butler
Levi Eck
Will Geary
Zac Gentzler
Tagen Lambotte
Bryce Shoemaker
Dustin Williams

2012 Super Seven:
Alex Bontz
Isaac Dulgarian
Zac Gentzler
Austin Hood
Bo Pursel
Matt Reed
Reece Wright-Conklin

2011 Super Seven:
Ryne Cokeley
Daniel DeShazer
Taylor Moeder
Bo Pursel
Matt Reed
Zack Tanenbaum
Reece Wright-Conklin

2010 Fab Five:
Cade Blair
Ryne Cokeley
Parker Madl
Taylor Moeder
Chase Nitcher

2009 Fab Five:
Boaz Beard
Tyler Caldwell
Kyle Detmer
Kendric Maple
CJ Napier
Posted By: Crossface King

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 08:42 PM

How can Dustin Reed of Colby not be on the list? He is a three time state champion and four time state finalist?
Posted By: rccokeley

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 08:46 PM

Dustin has some good accomplishments, I agree. To not have Dustin in the top 7 is not a reflection of his skills but the skills of others who are in that list.
Posted By: L.Geyer

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 08:49 PM

I really hope that is a joke. I am not saying Dustin goes on this list before any of the ones on there, but a "long list of people on there before" a 3x'er, and a 4x finalist. There is not many of them out there this year.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 08:51 PM

As I said, the decision was very tough. Think of the others...

Humphrey - 3X Champion
DeShazer - 2X Champion
Guillen - 2X Champion
Ochs - 2X Champion
Weigel - 2X Champion

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 08:53 PM

I would put brogan Humphrey, Guillen, Dulgarian, Sean deshazer, Millsap, Ochs and Blackwell in there before Reed. (Not particularly in that order)
Posted By: L.Geyer

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 09:00 PM

Just Curious where would you put Weigel out of Hays then?

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 09:04 PM

Thank you I forgot about weigel. I would put him in there before most of the guys I listed previously.
Posted By: Crossface King

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 09:46 PM

I do agree with Weigel, he is a stud and the last to beat him is Levi Eck and he is on the list. Reed has over 150 wins, has been in the finals all but once during his high school career. His performance truly defines dominance over a four year career. Ochs definitely has had a dominate year, the investment of mat time has paid off and I do see him having success on the next level.
Posted By: M.Church_AD

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
As I said, the decision was very tough. Think of the others...

Humphrey - 3X Champion
DeShazer - 2X Champion
Guillen - 2X Champion
Ochs - 2X Champion
Weigel - 2X Champion

Deshazer - A 2 X Champ that did not give up a Takedown or Reversal All Season Long. Only points scored against were Escape Pts.
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 10:48 PM

Given Deshazer's performance on a national level last summer I would have trouble arguing he is not one of the best 2 or 3 in the state. Summer wrestling is normally a criteria.

I also believe Blackwell is very deserving.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:10 PM

Nathan Butler - 5A - Sr.
Levi Eck - 4A - Sr.
Will Geary - 6A - Sr.
Zac Gentzler - 5A - Sr.
Tagen Lambotte - 321A - Jr.
Bryce Shoemaker - 4A - Sr.
Dustin Williams - 6A - Jr.

6A - 2
5A - 2
4A - 2
321A - 1

All from east of US HWY 281.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bronco Wrestler
Nathan Butler - 5A - Sr.
Levi Eck - 4A - Sr.
Will Geary - 6A - Sr.
Zac Gentzler - 5A - Sr.

6A - 2
5A - 2
4A - 2
321A - 1

Donkey fighter,

I am not sure where 281 is, is it paved? More than 1/2 of the population of Kansas is from west edge of Topeka to Missouri. So I am guessing that east of 281 there is about 85% of the population. Therefore 1 out 7 is roughly 15% so this correlates perfectly.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:25 PM

Calvin Ochs
2-2-1-1
Lost to Schumacher 4x'er & Brogan Humphrey 3x'er currently possibly going to be a 4x'er, career record of 142-18 (best I can tell from brackets)

Dustin Reed
2-1-1-1
Only finals loss was to Bryce Shoemaker career record of 169-6 (best I can tell from brackets)

before I get accused of campaigning here, these are the only two I'm overly familiar with so they are the only ones I bothered to research to compare with the others.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Nathan Butler - 5A - Sr.
Levi Eck - 4A - Sr.
Will Geary - 6A - Sr.
Zac Gentzler - 5A - Sr.

6A - 2
5A - 2
4A - 2
321A - 1

Donkey fighter,

I am not sure where 281 is, is it paved? More than 1/2 of the population of Kansas is from west edge of Topeka to Missouri. So I am guessing that east of 281 there is about 85% of the population. Therefore 1 out 7 is roughly 15% so this correlates perfectly.

And back to Will being Will, it was merely a statement of geography.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:31 PM

Nathan Butler - 5A - Sr.
Levi Eck - 4A - Sr.
Will Geary - 6A - Sr.
Zac Gentzler - 5A - Sr.

6A - 2
5A - 2
4A - 2
321A - 1

Donkey fighter,

Don't tell me you weren't insinuating or accusing Chief of eastern Kansas bias. It was NOT "merely a statement of geography."

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:33 PM

Nathan Butler - 5A - Sr.
Levi Eck - 4A - Sr.
Will Geary - 6A - Sr.
Zac Gentzler - 5A - Sr.

6A - 2
5A - 2
4A - 2
321A - 1

Donkey fighter,

Don't tell me you weren't insinuating or accusing Chief of eastern Kansas bias. It was NOT "merely a statement of geography."

If was going to make the Eastern KS bias comment, it also would have included the 5/6A pot shot as well, neither of which was made, nor will be made.

See you in Hays again this year!

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:36 PM

Alex,

That would be absurd since there are as many 4A wrestlers in the list at 5/6A and that leaves only one spot. So now, if we do the math on the number of students in each classification, 4-1A is not even CLOSE to 45% of the student population of Kansas so I might say they could be statistically over represented. smile

If we don't get any more snow I will be there.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:41 PM

Alex,

That would be absurd since there are as many 4A wrestlers in the list at 5/6A and that leaves only one spot. So now, if we do the math on the number of students in each classification, 4-1A is not even CLOSE to 45% of the student population of Kansas so I might say they could be statistically over represented. smile

If we don't get any more snow I will be there.

Not close to the 45% of the studen population but 4-1A represents 82% (81.8 really) of the total schools so grossly under-represented.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" -Mark Twain
Posted By: BrandonPigorsch

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:43 PM

Reed did place at Virginia Beach last season. I can see that it is tough to make that list, but to say that there is a long list of people before him is ridiculous.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/26/13 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BrandonPigorsch
Reed did place at Virginia Beach last season. I can see that it is tough to make that list, but to say that there is a long list of people before him is ridiculous.

There was long list of teams before yours in the final state standings. smile
Posted By: J. Storm

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 01:14 AM

Nathan Butler - 5A - Sr.
Levi Eck - 4A - Sr.
Will Geary - 6A - Sr.
Zac Gentzler - 5A - Sr.

6A - 2
5A - 2
4A - 2
321A - 1

All except Eck are east of I-135. Just an observation
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 02:49 AM

I'd put Reed on it.

What has DeShazer done on the national level? He certainly was DOMINATING here in the state of KS!

I'm curious.
Posted By: Holliday Hays

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 02:52 AM

There was long list of teams before yours in the final state standings. smile [/quote]

OUCH!!!
Posted By: Beeson

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 05:04 AM

;-)

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Dean Welsh

What has DeShazer done on the national level? He certainly was DOMINATING here in the state of KS!

I'm curious.

Sean was a member of our Junior National Dual team and went 10-0 for us! He is a phenom as well as a fantastic kid!
Posted By: Westkan11

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 02:37 PM

This list has been a joke ever 4xer Rogers didn't make it. Weigel, Reed, Ochs... what do they have in common (other than not losing this year)?

Western kansas.

Joke.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Westkan11
This list has been a joke ever 4xer Rogers didn't make it. Weigel, Reed, Ochs... what do they have in common (other than not losing this year)?

Western kansas.

Joke.

They have that in common with 15 undefeated wrestlers this year. Who would you kick off the list to add one of the above?
Posted By: Peanut1234

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 03:04 PM

Will Geary all though an outstanding Wrestler and a national ranked wrestler was not even the top HWT in the state let alone undefeated. Appears by some of the information provided by others, might need to give up his spot on the list.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Peanut1234
Will Geary all though an outstanding Wrestler and a national ranked wrestler was not even the top HWT in the state let alone undefeated. Appears by some of the information provided by others, might need to give up his spot on the list.

Nationally ranked wrestler.
Posted By: BJobe

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 03:18 PM

No mention of Jonathan Blackwell?

4X Finalist
2X Champ
1 loss to KS wrestler in past 2 years.
1-0 against Williams
Posted By: AAA

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 04:47 PM

So Moeder moved to KC just to make the fab five or super seven because he knew bout Chiefs east ks bias? Makes sense to me!!

Kevin Seybold
Posted By: Thunderrolz!!

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 05:42 PM

Chief, you gotta forgive Peanut about his wrestling ignorance. Just look at where he comes from.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 06:07 PM

Yes there was! I am glad that the earlier post was edited it makes more sense now. I am not going to get into a virtual disagreement with anyone nor was that my intention with my post on the previous page. In my opinion Dustin is right up there with most of the guys on that group. Didn't know that it had anything to do with a team's performance.
Posted By: DSnydOSS11

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 06:38 PM

44-0, Junior All American, Fargo all american, and closest match all year is what 6 points. Physically dominated all his opponents all year. I wanna know what any of these kids have done that Calvin Ochs hasnt done the past year. A four time finalist losing only to a four timer and a future four timer. His only loses in the past two years have been to Kriss of Colby a two time state champion and a Pine Creek kid who beat Kriss. Calvin Ochs has had the most dominating year in my mind other then maybe Deshazer. Put Calvin at any class at 160 and he wins the tourney by more then 3 points.
Posted By: Wrestler02

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 07:29 PM

Chief's Super Seven list is based off of his own personal opinions. Everyone is free to create their own list and select 7 wrestlers they feel are the best.
Posted By: Flagrant

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 07:32 PM

I am going to say this before someone else does. I am sure Will or Ryne will say this soon. The reason Calvin is not on this list, is becuase Hoxie does not wrestle anyone tough. If they would travel to the bobcat or Rocky Welton, or to Colorado torunaments, then Calvin would be worthy of winning this. And as far as Calvin only being beat by 4xer's those guys did not make this list either.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 07:48 PM

Calvin Ochs is one of my favorite kids in the entire state. I have chosen him to join my Denver teams, my Park Hill teams and the Junior National Dual teams. He has been a human wrecking ball this season. He is worthy of any list!

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Flagrant
I am going to say this before someone else does. I am sure Will or Ryne will say this soon. The reason Calvin is not on this list, is becuase Hoxie does not wrestle anyone tough. If they would travel to the bobcat or Rocky Welton, or to Colorado torunaments, then Calvin would be worthy of winning this. And as far as Calvin only being beat by 4xer's those guys did not make this list either.

Who said he wasn't on my list? Calvin wrestles Junior Duals and Fargo. He would be on my list. I would take him anywhere and he would go anywhere. He has been seeking out competition since he was able to ask Gus and Patty to take him to Denver.
Posted By: RJW1

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 09:52 PM

This comment is totally out of line! Thanks for you support of Dustin, Coach Pigorsch! I'm sorry it opened you up to a classless attack.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: RJW1

This comment is totally out of line! Thanks for you support of Dustin, Coach Pigorsch! I'm sorry it opened you up to a classless attack.

Classless attack??? It was a statement of fact, not even an attack. I didn't condone Ryne's tactless comment either but if I was in Brandon's shoes I would refrain posting on this forum and focus on the problems in my own house. CC was first in 2010 and last in 2013. That is a tremendous fall in a very short amount of time. I like Brandon as a person but ultimately if you are a coach you are going to be judged by the results of your team. If that is classless then I am guilty. Most found some humor in it.

I might define classless as being a coach tabling an official to have him check a wrestler for a mouthpiece so your wrestler can actually post a point on the scoreboard.
Posted By: drix

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/27/13 11:35 PM

I would like to thank everyone who has came on and posted something respectful about me. It shows that hard work does pay off a some people notice. I would say that some posts were very offensive to me weather it was about me or someone else on this forum. I thought this forum was to give wrestling fans something to talk about. Not a way to sit and bash coaches and wrestlers that work their butts off every year. And when saying a coach is classless when another wrestler is not following the rules is crazy in my opinion and you also took a stab at the wrestler in the match which in this case was my brother who also worked his butt off. This disrespect does not belong on this forum. It just hurts the point of the forum and makes the people getting disrespected feel like crap. There is my two cents. I'm sorry that we all just can't support every wrestler and not bash each other.

Dustin Reed

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 12:30 AM

I find it astonishing how butt-hurt people get over petty little comments on here. We freaking wrestle! We're in a contact sport where both guys are trying to inflict pain on the other, and yet people boo hoo on here all time because they get criticized. If you can't take it then get out.

Dustin Reed,
I already apologized to your mom and changed my comment and I'm sorry i hurt your feelings too. Here's why I think other wrestlers are on the list and you're are not:
1. Some of your matches are too close. I honestly thought you were going to pin your way through the state tournament this year, because I thought you were that much better than everyone else.
2. Over your career you've lost some matches that I didn't think you would lose.
3. Your lack of summer exposure. You have the body type for a great greco wrestler and every year I was a little disappointed you didn't go to fargo.

As for my dad's comment about your coach. He wasn't bashing your brother at all he was simply stating that he thought, as well as a lot other, the stunt your coach pulled to get a point against Taylor was a cowardice act. That was the only point Taylor gave up that year at state and lets be honest, if it weren't for that he would't have given up any. You and I both know that Taylor didn't where his mouth piece when he was at Colby, so since your coach was still upset Taylor had transferred he took advantage of that. I wouldn't be surprised if Sims was hoping Taylor didn't have his mouth piece at all so he would have to ID.

As for people getting disrespected on here, you won't get any sympathy from me. Every year I took beef on here. Freshman year after I won state people got on here saying "Oh if he would've had Sharky he probably wouldn't have won." So what I did was worked my butt off and won it again to. Then people would say "If Trent Cox would've stayed at Andale, he probably wouldn't have won it." My high school continuously gets bashed on here for "recruiting" even though everyone on that team this year with the exception of the Hensleys is originally from the KC area. Heck most of them went parishes that feed into SJA. Do you get the picture here?

The best way to deal with critics is to show them up. Not tell everyone your feelings are hurt.
Posted By: drix

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 01:40 AM

I don't disagree with you about me being in the super seven. I thank you for being honest and I agree with your three points you made. p.s. the reason i never did fargo was because for some years it was a money issue and other years i had worked to hard in 4-H through out the summer i couldn't miss my fair for fargo sounds lame but thats what i did. I also don't want to take anything away from taylor he is an amazing wrestler and did great things just the way it was worded by your dad it appeared bad on my brother which always upsets you a little.

And as for you I have always had great respect for everyone in your family for what they have done for the betterment of Kansas Wrestling. You were an amazing wrestler and one of the best in Kansas I can only dream of accomplishing some of the things that you have. I understand why you sometimes say some offensive things because you were offended in high school to. I was just trying to say that hard work doesn't deserve to get put down.

Also I tried my best to show everyone what I could do and for my whole life I was never good enough always in a shadow, and I thought with my high school career maybe it would shine through but it doesn't appear that it will. This is ok though because wrestling is just what I love, but its not who I am. I have much more in life then a sport so just being considered for this honor of super seven makes me feel good. Thanks again for your honesty I really commend it and still have respect for you.
Posted By: Dean Welsh

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 02:14 AM

I don't think so. I like the way a philosopher of long ago dealt wit his critics:

Subtitle: Refrain From Defending Your Reputation Or Intentions

"Do not be afraid of verbal abuse or criticism. Only the morally weak feel compelled to defend or explain themselves to others. . . So, if anyone should tell you that a particular person has spoken critically of you, don't bother with excuses or defenses. Just smile and reply, "I guess that person does not know about all my other thoughts. Otherwise he would not just have mentioned these."

Epictetus

The best line from above:

"Only the morally weak feel compelled to defend on explain themselves to others. . ."
Posted By: Tyson Schreiner

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 02:16 AM

Ryne, you are an icon to Kansas wrestling, my son and I, and not to mention thousands of Kansas wrestling fans feel your accomplishments were remarkable. We could only dream of half the success that you have had. Why get on this forum trying to be the apple that fell from the tree, while not having the wisdom or tact that you strive for. If anyone questioned your mentoring ability to promote wrestling for the youth, you have ran your mouth and removed all doubt.
Posted By: BDRan

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 02:47 AM

I honestly have never, EVER, seen Chief put some form of grouping or ranking out without people tearing it down. Why can't you guys just say, "thanks Chief" ad congratulate the 7 AMAZING wrestlers that are on this list instead of tearing down the kids that are putting this state on the map for wrestling. I mean, call me crazy, but giving credit where credit is due is still allowed in this country right?
Posted By: Ricky Bobby

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: BDRan
I honestly have never, EVER, seen Chief put some form of grouping or ranking out without people tearing it down. Why can't you guys just say, "thanks Chief" ad congratulate the 7 AMAZING wrestlers that are on this list instead of tearing down the kids that are putting this state on the map for wrestling. I mean, call me crazy, but giving credit where credit is due is still allowed in this country right?

AMERICA!
Posted By: Westkan11

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 03:58 AM

Well, I think we all know who won the battle of class. congrats Dustin on a great season.
Posted By: Peanut1234

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 12:38 PM

To mom, dad, aunt, uncle, grandparents, coaches, and teachers who had a hand in raising young Dustin Reed.,

Take A Bow......Kid appears to be mature beyond his years..
Posted By: usawks1

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: drix

Also I tried my best to show everyone what I could do and for my whole life I was never good enough always in a shadow, and I thought with my high school career maybe it would shine through but it doesn't appear that it will. This is ok though because wrestling is just what I love, but its not who I am. I have much more in life then a sport so just being considered for this honor of super seven makes me feel good. Thanks again for your honesty I really commend it and still have respect for you.

For this reason, Dustin Reed moves to the top of any list I would have! For an teenager to make a statement like this, shows ... he has brought up right ... and he will grow to be a great man!!
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: usawks1

For this reason, Dustin Reed moves to the top of any list I would have! For an teenager to make a statement like this, shows ... he has brought up right ... and he will grow to be a great man!!

It is refreshing!
Posted By: Bender

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 02/28/13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Tyson Schreiner
Ryne, you are an icon to Kansas wrestling, my son and I, and not to mention thousands of Kansas wrestling fans feel your accomplishments were remarkable. We could only dream of half the success that you have had. Why get on this forum trying to be the apple that fell from the tree, while not having the wisdom or tact that you strive for. If anyone questioned your mentoring ability to promote wrestling for the youth, you have ran your mouth and removed all doubt.

Oh god, not this again.... we had enough of you two arguing on the Guillen Johnson debate.

Also I tried my best to show everyone what I could do and for my whole life I was never good enough always in a shadow, and I thought with my highschool career maybe it would shine through but it doesn't appear that it will. This is ok though because wrestling is just what I love, but its not who I am. I have much more in life then a sport so just being considered for this honor of super seven makes me feel good. Thanks again for your honesty I really commend it and still have respect for you.

I like the sentiment here, but it is a bit too dramatic. You have received recognition, and a lot of notoriety just from this thread. Don't waste it all away by complaining that you were not good enough to "shine" through to Chief's top 7 wrestlers in all of Kansas.

Re: 2013 Super Seven! - 03/01/13 04:21 AM

Your welcome for the support for Dustin. This thread has once again gone away from talking about and commending kids on their incredible accomplishments. Kansas has a lot of tough wrestlers, and opinions differ and I understand that. I voiced mine, and others voice theirs. Not hurt by what anybody says and I am as hard nosed as anybody, so I can take it. I love coaching wrestling and I have a tremendous group of kids that wrestle for me. I do not worry about other's criticism, especially when it comes from a person who is not a wrestler or coach. I feel it is like a 500 pound person trying to tell someone how to diet.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums