Kansas Wrestling

Rankings should be expanded

Posted By: Scooter

Rankings should be expanded - 01/03/14 02:11 PM

After break the individual class rankings should be expanded to at least 8. This would help with the promotion of the sport. There is absolutely no downside to doing this. More interest and more recognition are only good things. D1 College has approx 26% of their wrestlers ranked (20 of 77).
Posted By: PapaSoup

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/03/14 03:56 PM

Agreed! Well said
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/03/14 09:19 PM

No down side unless ur the poor bastard who does the rankings...
Posted By: Ed Wilson

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/04/14 12:17 AM

My guess is chief has at least a top 12 done...

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/04/14 12:34 PM

And it wouldn't have to be 8 for every weight class, it could be 6 minimum 10 maximum and have some sort of criteria to be eligible for ranking, maybe .600 winning percentage or a win over a ranked wrestler and have a .500 winning percentage. This would end up showing the deepest weight classes properly. It would also help clarify the team rankings as the 7th and 8th place guys score 4-8 points at state.
Posted By: JD_

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/04/14 01:23 PM

Great idea Scooter! Rank the top 10 in every weight class!
Posted By: doinasipleaz

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/04/14 02:22 PM

How about rank the WHOLE class, as to make sure little Johnny gets ranked and doesn't feel left out. Then Dad can brag hes ranked?!
Posted By: tgrandon

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/04/14 02:52 PM

I'm not all that concerned about rankings but this subject does concern me that for so many this can become a goal and then one's true potential is never achieved. If we focused on getting better instead of who has the highest ranking then everything else takes care of itself. If we want to promote wrestling in KS then get involved with your local team and support them within your community. I know our team can always use more volunteers:)
Posted By: REVOLUTION

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/04/14 03:22 PM

I could see a top 10. I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/04/14 03:35 PM

I would bet 10 would be alot harder than you think. Look how often the bottom 3 or 4 change now. I would also think theres a pretty good gap in there and criteria would be difficult to find. Like someone said... the drawback would be for the ranker.
Posted By: Chiefs

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 12:54 AM

I think that only one wrestler should be ranked, kind of like "king of the mountain". cool

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 12:38 PM

Promotion is the whole point, what is the best way to promote the sport? Media, newspaper mainly. It is better for promotion when the Colby Free Press writes a preview of the Norton Colby dual that features 6 matchups of ranked wrestlers vs 4 matchups of ranked wrestlers. It is better to promote the regionals in the paper when you can say there are 28 ranked wrestling competing vs. 21 on average.

Originally Posted By: tgrandon
I'm not all that concerned about rankings but this subject does concern me that for so many this can become a goal and then one's true potential is never achieved. If we focused on getting better instead of who has the highest ranking then everything else takes care of itself. If we want to promote wrestling in KS then get involved with your local team and support them within your community. I know our team can always use more volunteers:)
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 02:55 PM

Media is supposed to lie so I guess Scooter is right. We should lie and tell them that there are 28 ranked kids, when in reality we only expect 21 to place. Water it down enough and everyone will have their kid in the rankings. I think top 10 in the All Class is great. Having a top 8 or 10 in each class is ridiculous. That means 40 kids in the state at each weight would be "RANKED". I'm sorry but we have bigger goals than to be just ranked. This is equivalent to 4A dividing in to two groups so more people will have a chance to be a state champion.

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 03:16 PM

Thats why I say rank them all so Mommy and Daddy can say Little Johnny is ranked.

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 04:34 PM

So the NCAA is way off base ranking 20 and only having 8 all americans? They should only rank 8.

Here is a nice article on the Big 10 wrestling.

http://www.bigten.org/blog/2013/12/ranking-the-wrestlers-27.html

They boast 70 ranked wrestlers, but it should only be 38, because 32 of them won't be all americans if they wrestle to rank.

Originally Posted By: Beeson
Media is supposed to lie so I guess Scooter is right. We should lie and tell them that there are 28 ranked kids, when in reality we only expect 21 to place. Water it down enough and everyone will have their kid in the rankings. I think top 10 in the All Class is great. Having a top 8 or 10 in each class is ridiculous. That means 40 kids in the state at each weight would be "RANKED". I'm sorry but we have bigger goals than to be just ranked. This is equivalent to 4A dividing in to two groups so more people will have a chance to be a state champion.

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 04:37 PM

Mommy and Daddy are going to show up no matter what, Uncle Bob, Aunt Susie and the neighbors might be more likely to show up at the tourney if Johnny is ranked.

Originally Posted By: doinasipleaz
Thats why I say rank them all so Mommy and Daddy can say Little Johnny is ranked.

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 05:01 PM

Misssing the point scooter, is little johnny any BETTER because hes "ranked" 35th?! Dont think so. I had a parent ask me the other day why her Johhny didnt get 3rd instead of 4th in a round robin...was one of those 3 way tie deals. The performance was the same whether he GOT 4th or 2nd. All they cared about was the Place he was GIVEN. get better, the rest will follow

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 05:03 PM

Im all for promotion. But just giving titles or ranking wont help. We have ranked kids, and the same peolpe show that did before
Posted By: hotrodder54

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: doinasipleaz
Misssing the point scooter, is little johnny any BETTER because hes "ranked" 35th?! Dont think so. I had a parent ask me the other day why her Johhny didnt get 3rd instead of 4th in a round robin...was one of those 3 way tie deals. The performance was the same whether he GOT 4th or 2nd. All they cared about was the Place he was GIVEN. get better, the rest will follow

Plz don't use little jonny as an example it hurts his feeling andmames him seem whinny Thx lol
Posted By: REVOLUTION

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/05/14 09:38 PM

I agree rankings don't really matter that much, as there is no gaming allowed. And attendance is not effected either. Just gives someone something to talk about. Last year we had two placers in the State tournament and our admin stayed home and watched it on TV and facebook/twitter. If you want to increase gate get rid of the TV coverage and the facebook/twitter updates. Same happened to the OSU gate when TV picked up the home duals and tournaments.
But knowing that people ARE NOT coming anyway, but follow extensivly on the facebook (more post activity and follows/year during state tournament) and TV, gives you the promotion. Your damned if you do, and damned if you dont.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/06/14 01:08 AM

Heck, the poor 4A rankers can't even get six per weight class done on time. Promotion? Heck, no one even cares that these aren't done. smile Apathy is our enemy so I happy to see something on the forum!
Posted By: mfe

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/06/14 02:54 PM

While i have had a tremendus amount of joy watching my Sons and Grandsons and great Grandsons wrestle over the years, i have never been concerned whether they were ranked or not. That is what State is for. I know it is a tool used for seedings and some what usefull for that. All i was concerned about was the next match and that they were improving and humble and respectful of their opponent. State is the final ranking and the only one that matters. I appreciate the efforts of the Chief and others hard work to satisfy some kids or parents ego's, it most certianly not necessary for our family. I love the sport and the hard work these young men put forth for my enjoyment. They will grow up to be better men for it. Thanks, Matt Eck
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/06/14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Scooter
So the NCAA is way off base ranking 20 and only having 8 all americans? They should only rank 8.

Here is a nice article on the Big 10 wrestling.

http://www.bigten.org/blog/2013/12/ranking-the-wrestlers-27.html

They boast 70 ranked wrestlers, but it should only be 38, because 32 of them won't be all americans if they wrestle to rank.

Originally Posted By: Beeson

I think top 20 in the United States is a lot more impressive than the top 40 in Kansas. Your comparing Apples to Watermelons.
Posted By: Mahan

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/06/14 07:04 PM

Misssing the point scooter, is little johnny any BETTER because hes "ranked" 35th?

is he any worse? there are 16 state qualifiers per class, Kansas is geographically huge, ranking more kids (not a lot more) would without doubt increase interest equivocal to the increase in information available to all of us who are constantly searching the internet to see who's out there and what are the tough tournaments. crap there are probably at least 3 to 4 threads on here about this tournament or that tourney that is soooo tough. why? cause there are x# of ranked kids at a certain weight. yeah 16 ranked in a weight class too many...8 to 10 not bad.

And news flash it helps grow programs the more kids you can "say" you have ranked.
sure we all want to win state, but if your having a dual or coming off of tournament and writing something up for the paper its nice to say...John Dow currently ranked X#3 in 4A etc...
also notice all the people that "don't care about rankings" and think that rankings are stupid are freaking ranked really high...with lots of kids who will be state placers so no of course they don't care about them...but for the majority of programs we need ranked kids to sell our programs and build them etc...
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/07/14 04:32 AM

I could see expanding for 4A and 321A but not for 6A or 5A. With only 32 schools in each class, ranking nearly 19% of the competitors is plenty. That would be equivalent to ranking 12 in 4A and 18 in 321A.

I personally like only ranking the placers as it is easy to grade them after state. smile

I am in favor of rankings and promoting the sport. I prefer to leave the ranking to rankers or media outlets so that coaches can focus on coaching.

Re: Rankings should be expanded - 01/07/14 12:09 PM

Will, they must be focused on coaching. Or something other than rankings, 4A hasnt been updated.. Maybe with an extra day off because it was toooo cold will help them get caught up.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums