Kansas Wrestling

Taunting

Posted By: WillyM

Taunting - 02/15/14 09:59 PM

Is there a HS wrestling rule against?

I attended a local HS league wrestling tournament today. A very, very good wrestler was wrestling a very good wrestler. But, there was a definite difference in ability, experience, etc. in the 2 athletes, although the lesser wrestler will probably qualify for state. The better wrestler put on a take down clinic---take down and cut the other wrestler, repeat, repeat, etc. Nothing wrong with that. But, when he cut the opponent, usually on or near the circle, with a big shove and a sneer or a giggle, to me it appeared he was taunting the lesser wrestler. After he had built a comfortable lead, 10 plus points, he went to the mat and made lack luster moves, never really attempting get free, and appeared to again be playing with the opponent. Maybe there is no rule against taunting per se', but it was surely poor sportsmanship.
Posted By: Rford

Re: Taunting - 02/15/14 10:40 PM

There certainly is a rule against taunting, per se, or otherwise. Any act deemed to be taunting is unsportsmanlike conduct, by rule. There is nothing that prohibits takedown/release/takedown, that's in the rule book, or case book. There's also no rule against being full of yourself and acting the fool, at least so long as your aren't unsportsmanlike in doing so.

Unlike most of the rules, taunting does require the official to discern the wrestler's intent....is he really intending to belittle his opponent, or is just having fun. A happy wrestler isn't necessarily a taunting wrestler. There are always ways for the official to intercede, but if it isn't unsportsmanlike, which is a judgment call, it becomes a question of whether you are injecting your own subjective view of what the better wrestler is thinking. I've seen lots of kids with a dumb, wiseacre grin on their face....and they were the ones getting clobbered!

Also, as adults, we sometimes view things differently than high school aged kids. When I was that age, there were a lot of things that I thought and did that I wouldn't think or do as an adult. They get some slack because of their immaturity.

Re: Taunting - 02/15/14 11:33 PM

Thanks. Me, I felt he was trying to belittle his opponent--doubly so when he went down on the mat!
Posted By: bighead

Re: Taunting - 02/16/14 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: WillyM

I attended a local HS league wrestling tournament today. A very, very good wrestler was wrestling a very good wrestler.

Must not have been that good...

Re: Taunting - 02/16/14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bighead

I attended a local HS league wrestling tournament today. A very, very good wrestler was wrestling a very good wrestler.

Sorry, don't understand your comment!
Posted By: Beeson

Re: Taunting - 02/16/14 04:10 PM

If he was being dominated like that, toyed with...he must not be that good.
Posted By: tryingtobesilent

Re: Taunting - 02/16/14 04:23 PM

what about taunting after a match,off the mat? I watched a wrestling match yesterday and apparently winning wasn't enough for one of the wrestlers and he decided to go over to were losing wrestler was sitting,saying derogatory things to him and trying to pick a fight. for future reference,is there any rule for this type of behavior?

Re: Taunting - 02/16/14 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Beeson

If he was being dominated like that, toyed with...he must not be that good.

Both that good! Both ranked in their class and both ranked in all-class. Lower ranked wrestler could have been sick or injured--don't know.

Added: maybe the winner did not want to wrestle down and dirty on the match--seen that before.

Re: Taunting - 02/16/14 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: tryingtobesilent
what about taunting after a match,off the mat? I watched a wrestling match yesterday and apparently winning wasn't enough for one of the wrestlers and he decided to go over to were losing wrestler was sitting,saying derogatory things to him and trying to pick a fight. for future reference,is there any rule for this type of behavior?

There is. It is Unsportsmanlike conduct after the match. A penalty and a team point, obviously not a match situation. If the kid picked up two off-mat UC he'd be ejected from the event. That's not the case if its during a match. Hard for an official to catch that off-mat behavior and wrestlers, as a group, aren't usually trash-takers. Shame on anyone that does this sort of thing.
Posted By: Travis Phippen

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 01:01 AM

I believe I know what match you were talking about. This was not taunting. Put on your big boy pants and watch some college wrestling, this happens all the time. This is called tough wrestling.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 01:16 AM

really? college wrestlers run around in the stands cursing and talking smack to their opponents well after their matches are over? maybe you were repling to an earlier post,sorry.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 01:32 AM

really? college wrestlers run around in the stands cursing and talking smack to their opponents well after their matches are over?

He was referring to taking an opponent down and cutting them repeatedly. Surely you could figure that out. smile However, I have seen some crazy stuff similar to your comments at Carver Hawkeye!

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Rford

There is. It is Unsportsmanlike conduct after the match. A penalty and a team point, obviously not a match situation. If the kid picked up two off-mat UC he'd be ejected from the event. That's not the case if its during a match. Hard for an official to catch that off-mat behavior and wrestlers, as a group, aren't usually trash-takers. Shame on anyone that does this sort of thing.
so only a ref can enforce this type of penalty? this happened in front of fans and wrestlers in the stands well away from any refs on the mats. no dog in this fight but I seen the taunting post and just had to ask.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 02:02 AM

so only a ref can enforce this type of penalty? this happened in front of fans and wrestlers in the stands well away from any refs on the mats. no dog in this fight but I seen the taunting post and just had to ask.

Unfortunately all parents have not taught their children right from wrong. Even worse, some parents encourage this type of behavior. Where parents have failed, coaches need to try and do right. Now, coaches and parents can not be every where at all times. Personally, I would have said something to the kid if I saw this type of behavior and put a stop to it immediately. Sometimes, just knowing that they have been seen doing wrong will stop the behavior. Allowing it, is telling them it is ok.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 03:32 AM

So only a ref can enforce this type of penalty? this happened in front of fans and wrestlers in the stands well away from any refs on the mats. no dog in this fight but I seen the taunting post and just had to ask.

Only the official can enforce the wrestling rule. No one else can assess the penalty. But that doesn't mean other adults cannot take action -- coach, parent, school administrator--all might have more influence over the situation. Probably the person with the least amount of impact on the kid will be the official. Having a coach take you by the ear makes a lot bigger impression---at least that's my recollection.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Travis Phippen
I believe I know what match you were talking about. This was not taunting. Put on your big boy pants and watch some college wrestling, this happens all the time. This is called tough wrestling.

Sorry, but this was not tough college wrestling---it was high school wrestling. As I stated, the takedown and cut drill did not bother me--seen it before many times. What I think I personally saw was an attitude expressed in the hard shoves out of bounds and off the mat, the sneers, the giggles, laying on the mat and showing the opponent he was impervious to the opponents efforts, etc. I took all this as taunting and un sportsmanship conduct. If a wrestler is so much better than the opponent then go out with a stone face and put him away quickly---no playing around.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 01:45 PM

Different wrestlers have different tactics to win. Sometimes throwing your opponent off his game is a strategy. If you can get him worked up he might do something stupid. The hard shoves sometimes is hard wrestling. This is a physical sport, as long as you are not doing anything illegal such as hitting or cheap shots you should be OK. We want our athletes to get to the next level. Watch the next level and see what they do. They wrestle hard and with intensity and emotion.
Posted By: tgrandon

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 02:49 PM

I have seen this in just about every tournament I attended this year and I use it as a motivational factor. This sends a clear message that he feels threatened by the other wrestler and I see it as a form of respect. I have seen many guys get fired up once this happens and then the fight is on. Nothing like a wrong to get someone pumped up so this tactic usually backfires. As a father I tell my son to let his wrestling do his talking and stay focused bad behavior leads to bad results. The problem with this type of activity is that things tend to spiral out of control really fast.
Posted By: Teamroper

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 02:58 PM

Some wrestler are just more dangerous on the mat, my son included. He has had the above done to him several time this year.

It was obvious that he wasn't good enough on his feet with the upper level of wrestlers, but did pretty well on the mat.

Those kids knew that and let him up to take him down.

Also just a great point to the wrestler of what they need to improve on. Did it belittle my son...maybe...but it also motivated him to improve his wrestling in that area.

He has suffered an long term mental problems....well more thatn he already had.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 03:19 PM

Bill,

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sndY3caXU2E

Is Brands taunting NCAA Jeff Prescott, I don't think so, he is making an exciting match with intensity. He pushes him when he lets him up and tries to create more opportunity to score and break his opponent mentally and eventually gets the tech fall.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 04:05 PM

Don't care about Brands and Jeff Prescott and NCAA's. I saw bad sportsmanship period. Not how a HS champion should act or wrestle.

Enuff said.
Posted By: Coach Prieto

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 04:16 PM

If a kid is having a hard time turning his opponent and I know we can take him down at will, then we will do that! As stated above we are trying to break the opponent down mentally and physically! In duals and tournaments we are after BONUS points not fan points!!

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 04:52 PM

I'm a huge Iowa Hawkeye fan as I grew up in Iowa so I'm biased towards Iowa and the Iowa style. This example video was what I call a mild altercation and not anywhere close to the shoving into walls and tables long after the whistle blows I have witnessed a few times this year by wrestlers with bad attitudes. I determine this type of pushing and shoving as passive aggressive pushing off an opponent to get up off the mat. Most kids would not even notice this type of push-off but parents are hyper-sensitive about this incidental pushing. I know our coach would not encourage this type of activity. It's not just about winning but how you handle yourself in winning and losing and how you represent yourself your school and your community.
Posted By: Outlaws174

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 05:30 PM

Just about every coach I've ever had has told me if you don't like getting beat like that then do something about it. Don't like getting taken down and let up? Get better on your feet. Don't like getting turned? Get better on bottom.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 05:33 PM

Don't care about Brands and Jeff Prescott and NCAA's. I saw bad sportsmanship period. Not how a HS champion should act or wrestle.

Enuff said.

The King of Soccer has spoken. Enough Said. This Topic needs to be locked and have no more responses immediately.
Bill Mason says so.
Posted By: elid2

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 05:52 PM

I saw it at a high school dual earlier this year. My son was the one doing it and I didn't care for it much. He would take they kid down and cut him then go wait for him in the center. His coaches' did not like it at all and the ref did tell him that if he didn't stop it the he would get an unsportsmanlike call. There was no talking or gestures, just cutting... Same thing happened in a middle school match the year before, but that time they did award a point and my son had to miss a match the next meet. I don't approve of cutting some one 7 times in a period but by rule can the ref call it?

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 06:23 PM

Some how I missed the intent of this subject from pushing and shoving to taking a guy down and cutting him. There is absolutely nothing wrong with takedowns and cutting a guy. This is technical wrestling and a skilled takedown artist is rewarded in wrestling. I will never understand how that is considered taunting. That is just smart wrestling to exploit a competitors weakness. If you ever get the chance to watch Dulgerian from STA he is one of the best in our area and is truly a gifted takedown artist.
Posted By: baldeagle3351

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: elid2
I saw it at a high school dual earlier this year. My son was the one doing it and I didn't care for it much. He would take they kid down and cut him then go wait for him in the center. His coaches' did not like it at all and the ref did tell him that if he didn't stop it the he would get an unsportsmanlike call. There was no talking or gestures, just cutting... Same thing happened in a middle school match the year before, but that time they did award a point and my son had to miss a match the next meet. I don't approve of cutting some one 7 times in a period but by rule can the ref call it?

Many wrestlers will repeatedly cut their opponent for a variety of reasons and very seldom is it to be unsporting. Perhaps he needs to get some work in to make weight for the next day's competition. Or he is getting his work in to prepare for a match he knows he will have later in the tourney. Or he just really loves to wrestle and would like to spend more than 20 seconds on the mat. I have rarely seen a wrestler cut his opponent with malicious intent.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 10:32 PM

If we are talking about the same kid and match and I'm 99% sure we are based on where you are from, he does care about the NCAA as he will be wrestling at that level next year.
Posted By: ReDPloyd

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: tgrandon
Some how I missed the intent of this subject from pushing and shoving to taking a guy down and cutting him. There is absolutely nothing wrong with takedowns and cutting a guy. This is technical wrestling and a skilled takedown artist is rewarded in wrestling. I will never understand how that is considered taunting. That is just smart wrestling to exploit a competitors weakness. If you ever get the chance to watch Dulgerian from STA he is one of the best in our area and is truly a gifted takedown artist.

My son was on the receiving end of one of Dulgerian's takedown clinics a couple of years ago. I was actually relieved because I knew what could have happened from the top on bottom. My son and I still chuckle about the day he scored 10 on Isaac, he just gave up 25 a little too soon.

Re: Taunting - 02/17/14 11:47 PM

Enuff said.

The King of Soccer has spoken. Enough Said. This Topic needs to be locked and have no more responses immediately.
Bill Mason says so.

Beeson---Kiss my patootie. Are you following Cokeley, the great soccer hater, with a brown circle around your nose. At least I know something about more than one sport-=-do you? I know out there in South Central Kansas you don't know anything about soccer---You want to talk some HS basketball--KS districts and state tournament competition is about to begin. I know you are a great BB supporter.
Posted By: rccokeley

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 12:22 AM

Yeah... Neither my dad or I said anything about hating soccer. We only said that it should stay off a wrestling forum.

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: rccokeley
Yeah... Neither my dad or I said anything about hating soccer. We only said that it should stay off a wrestling forum.

OK, if you say so. But expressed in a very, very strong words and manners.

Plus, don't think I have mention soccer this year! Plus. see no reason for Beeson to bring it up. If he doesn't have anything other than negatives, keep then keep them to himself.

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 12:43 AM

Plus, don't think I have mention soccer this year! Plus. see no reason for Beeson to bring it up. If he doesn't have anything other than negatives, keep then keep them to himself.

You were pretty negative about this whole topic. You haven't kept your negatives to yourself, even though the majority that have posted on this thread have disagreed with you. Since you do not know all of the strategies that have to do with wrestling, maybe you should keep your negative thoughts about the sport to yourself.
Posted By: High Water

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 12:56 AM

Bill

Seriously do you know any thing about wrestling. Sometimes if you know you can't get the pin you go for the TF. Nothing bad about that. You want to win more with something other than a DEC. It is not bad sportsmanship. You shove them a little hard to get them off balance and your you in a better position for another takedown. It also pisses them off that they might do sometimes stupid and open you up for a pin. Each wrestler wrestles different and you have to know going in what their weakness is a capitalize on it.

Also, you are the most hateful negative person on this forum. You say you are all about wrestling but never say anything positive about it or the kids. You' re just a negative bitter old man than needs to find somewhere else to post. Hateful you are.

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: High Water
Seriously do you know any thing about wrestling. Sometimes if you know you can't get the pin you go for the TF. Nothing bad about that. You want to win more with something other than a DEC. It is not bad sportsmanship. You shove them a little hard to get them off balance and your you in a better position for another takedown. It also pisses them off that they might do sometimes stupid and open you up for a pin. Each wrestler wrestles different and you have to know going in what their weakness is a capitalize on it.

Thank you for your lucid comments. Yes I have seen tech falls, I understand why tech falls and bonus points are important, and yes I have seen take down drills. In the tournament in question the winning wrestler team was trailing by 100 plus points so bonus points were irrelevant.

One more time for you slow readers, I said I do not object to the take down drills in themselves. Yes, I do contend that what I saw in this match was taunting, poor sportsmanship as evidenced by the unnecessary hard pushes, the sneers, swagger, the sh-t eating grins and giggles. If one wrestler is so much better than his opponent, and bonus points are irrelevant, why not just go out with a stone face and put the opponent away. I saw the match, doubt if more than 2 others here saw it. What I like about HS wrestling is that it teaches humility-or it should-somewhere, sometime someone is going to kick your butt. Perhaps the elite wrestler in this match has not met that someone.
Posted By: High Water

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 01:17 AM

Bill -

FYI - Sometimes smiling on the mat pisses off the other wrestler to make a mistake. You have know idea. Did you talk to either kid? Most kids are friends off the match. You ASSume way to much. Didn't know you were a mind reader

Also, it is his high school record not yours so don't assume what is relevant or not to him.

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 01:18 AM

You were pretty negative about this whole topic. You haven't kept your negatives to yourself, even though the majority that have posted on this thread have disagreed with you. Since you do not know all of the strategies that have to do with wrestling, maybe you should keep your negative thoughts about the sport to yourself.

Don't think I was negative about anything this subject this topic. I described what I saw. A lot more negative replies than my post. And as for you, I have been reading your limited and negative crap for 3 years. I am yet to hear much of anything good from you. You have a repeating theme "you got to make them mean, make them tough, coaches should beat them before, during and after practice". And, you aren't doing yourself any good trying to copy Don King.

Have a good day sir.

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 01:39 AM

Don't think I was negative about anything this subject this topic. I described what I saw. A lot more negative replies than my post. And as for you, I have been reading your limited and negative crap for 3 years. I am yet to hear much of anything good from you. You have a repeating theme "you got to make them mean, make them tough, coaches should beat them before, during and after practice". And, you aren't doing yourself any good trying to copy Don King.

Have a good day sir.

I don't believe you really mean that. At least be honest Bill.

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 03:03 AM

I personally cannot stand soccer. Don't know a lot about it. But my niece has been the starting goalie ("keeper?")for Tennessee since her freshman year. We've traveled to see her a few times, I watch her on streaming video when I can because she's family. But it is the most frustrating thing I think I do all year...in my opinion it is a huge waste of youthful energy for very little return. I hope for death, just a little, every time I'm forced to watch it. I cannot bear it. I am starting to wretch involuntarily just thinking about the upcoming season. Go Lady Vols!(please graduate Julie, please).

But that's got nothing to do with any of this and this thread is a good example why its so hard to actually "talk" about the rules on this forum. Some guys just go NUTS over the most minor point. No offense meant to any of you who have demonstrated here that you are unhinged. Its pretty self-evident from your writing. And to disagree with one of you starts a Hatfield and McCoy fight which to me seems a lot more unsportsmanlike than anything I've seen on the mat ever.

But here's the right answer, again. The pushing or shoving might have been unnecessary roughness, or it might have been a form of taunting. That would be a judgment call. The official didn't call it. So that's on the official, not the kid, if it was a bad call. If the wrestler does it, and its not called, you sure can't blame him for continuing to do it.

As many have said--cutting and taking down repeatedly is fine, no rule against it, the case book says its acceptable. Any old timers from Iowa might remember Dan Knight...that is all he did in High School and he was famous in the state. I'm sure many of his opponents were humiliated. They needed to figure out a defense.

As an official, I would have one heck of a time explaining a call for smiling, grinning, sneering, rolling your eyes, or almost any other facial expression. If the kid starts laughing and pointing, speaking, or doing something obviously belittling, then sure, that's something to stop. But this situation seems to be stringing together a bunch of different things, over the course of the match, none of which in and of themselves are illegal, but the perception is the kid was making fun of his opponent. But officials aren't mind readers...the kid has to violate a rule, not some high ideal that we want to place on him. This is the USA in 2014, not England in 1840. We tend to be a bit less civil now than in the past (see posts above).

Did I mention how much I really do not like soccer?
Posted By: mhiggins

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 03:38 AM

Travis thanks for sharing the match. My goal is for my kids to wrestle like terry brands. I love the intensity and fire that he has. In my room we preach intensity and hunger. I love watching those kinds of kids wrestle. The just make me smile. wink. It amazes me how many people do not like that style, how some think it is dirty or classless but in my eyes it is passion. There are many stlyles of wrestling and to each his own!

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Travis Phippen
Bill,

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sndY3caXU2E

Is Brands taunting NCAA Jeff Prescott, I don't think so, he is making an exciting match with intensity. He pushes him when he lets him up and tries to create more opportunity to score and break his opponent mentally and eventually gets the tech fall.

That doesn't look quite what I think was going on in the high school match under discussion. Brands was truly great. He is so aggressive, at all times, that his opponent just gets worn down. Brands popped him two different times in the back of the head with his forearm but one was as he was going out and the other during a flurry and he is moving so fast all the time I'm sure the ref didn't catch it. He body slammed him into the mat at one point that would probably get called a slam in HS, but it was during a real aggressive move and just too fast. I think his coach went to the table at one time to complain about the rough treatment. Penn State got called for for stalling three times for backing up, and the last point was for the tech fall, but I don't think the kid had a chance to stand his ground with Brands pushing and pounding him senseless. Good match. Good wrestling.
Posted By: Krazykat72

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 04:32 AM

I feel if you have to belittle the other wrestler to win your not as good as you think!! I get it!! It's a man sport but I will not have my son act like that!! He is 18 and he knows I didn't raise him to be that kind of man!! Because if you act like that on the mat i'am pretty sure you act like that off the mat!!

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 01:35 PM

Beeson's comment: Unfortunately all parents have not taught their children right from wrong. Even worse, some parents encourage this type of behavior. Where parents have failed, coaches need to try and do right. Now, coaches and parents can not be every where at all times. Personally, I would have said something to the kid if I saw this type of behavior and put a stop to it immediately. Sometimes, just knowing that they have been seen doing wrong will stop the behavior. Allowing it, is telling them it is ok. [/quote]

Beeson: an excellent comment exactly on point!!
Bill M.

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 02:20 PM

Wrestling is not for lemmings. It is about individual expression and as long as it stays within the rules!! Such style differences and personality diversity should be respected and embraced. While I may or may not coach any of my kids to do what you may or may not do, as long as it is within the rules it should be accepted and not chastised. America is about freedom of choice and there are boundaries in place that have been eroding this freedom. I am all for stopping the senseless removal of freedom of expression. The schools are bending over backwards to turn all of our kids into nameless, faceless, robots armed with nothing more than socialistic philosophies. The emasculation of the male youth has to stop soon or we will continue to sink into the socialist abyss.
Posted By: westwrestling

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 02:56 PM

I have no qualms with letting a man up & taking him down, over and over in order to break him or work for a major when pinning is not there. But what about when we all know one wrestler can pin another at will and does not?
Opinions?

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: westwrestling
I have no qualms with letting a man up & taking him down, over and over in order to break him or work for a major when pinning is not there. But what about when we all know one wrestler can pin another at will and does not?
Opinions?

Could cost you a state championship!
Posted By: Ex Heights Coach

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 03:06 PM

Will,
You are sounding like a Libertarian running for President!

Dee
Posted By: ThomasGT

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Wrestling is not for lemmings. It is about individual expression and as long as it stays within the rules!! Such style differences and personality diversity should be respected and embraced. While I may or may not coach any of my kids to do what you may or may not do, as long as it is within the rules it should be accepted and not chastised. America is about freedom of choice and there are boundaries in place that have been eroding this freedom. I am all for stopping the senseless removal of freedom of expression. The schools are bending over backwards to turn all of our kids into nameless, faceless, robots armed with nothing more than socialistic philosophies. The emasculation of the male youth has to stop soon or we will continue to sink into the socialist abyss.
Y

You get my vote for post of the month and any office you decide to run for!
Posted By: Teamroper

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: westwrestling
Opinions?

Both wrestlers run that risk if you do those things, the high level you do it in the more risk is that your oposition can make you pay for it at some point.

Live by the sword and die by it at times.

Could cost you a state championship!
Posted By: CWB

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 04:22 PM

This is one of the best comments on any page.This is one of the main reasons my son wrestles.Ty Cokeley

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: CWB

This is one of the best comments on any page.This is one of the main reasons my son wrestles.Ty Cokeley

Oh my God, do we now have another Cokeley?

Tell you what, I won't talk soccer or basketball, if you wont talk politics, social philosophy, or religion on this forum. NOT THE PLACE!!! I already have a nut case right wing tea party wacko across the street. I will get my politics from the news, my social philosophy from study and reading, my religion from my church and pastor! Have a good day!
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 06:07 PM

Tell you what, I won't talk soccer or basketball, if you wont talk politics, social philosophy, or religion on this forum. NOT THE PLACE!!! I already have a nut case right wing tea party wacko across the street.

Wow. So you talked politics, philosophy and religion in the same post that you request to ban it?

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
Tell you what, I won't talk soccer or basketball, if you wont talk politics, social philosophy, or religion on this forum. NOT THE PLACE!!! I already have a nut case right wing tea party wacko across the street.

Wow. So you talked politics, philosophy and religion in the same post that you request to ban it?

Sorry chief, you misread something somewhere. But that is a common occurrence on this forum by a lot of readers.

I think our old friend Coklely posted a political diatribe. Then CWB, who identified himself as a Cokely, commented that that was the best post ever then went into another diatribe on socialism, the failures of our schools, how we were ruining or youth-everything except a long homophobic rant or a rail against same sex marriage. The same stuff you hear from politicians (Republicans) and many preachers. I get dragged across the coals, called ignorant, dumb, etc, for mentioning soccer and basketball. Wrestling folks don't like a/o hate those 2 sports and have told me often this wrestling forum is "NOT THE PLACE". OK, nor is this the place for politics, social philosophy, and religion. If you must, send a letter to the editor, talk with your social science professor, talk to your pastor---those are the "RIGHT PLACES".

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 06:45 PM

That is not Ty Cokeley. I believe he is saying "Thank You Cokeley"
Posted By: usawks1

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 06:49 PM

... I was hoping Will was still "getting busy" and we had another young one!!!

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 10:25 PM

That is not Ty Cokeley. I believe he is saying "Thank You Cokeley"

What ever, then don't give me a ration of crap about soccer. If its not a Ty Cokeley than he is signing in as CWB ??? Think it may be RC trying to be cute and not the old his man. Must think he is texting.
Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

Re: Taunting - 02/18/14 11:04 PM

Too funny. Please Bill continue.

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 05:05 PM

WillyM
I am CHARLES BRADFORD. The school are trying to raising A bunch Wussy kids. To just blindly follow the rules.
The last duel my son went to [south side] He lunged down for a leg when being picked up in a dubble. You should have herd the people.He hit the mat hard. No call made AS THERE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN.He made the move to the ground. Did he hit hard,yes he did.When he got off the mat I talked to him and all I can say is no matter what the schools are trying to do they are failing with my son.He is in a very tough room,wrestles brutal wrestlers and will not fail in life.
I also agree with you. There are many sports that are Hard,to remember what way to RUN.Wrestling is not one of them.

CHARLES BRADFORD

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 05:07 PM

BTW I have no clue on texting. Have never done it and never will.

Once agin CHARLES BRADFORD

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 05:20 PM

Here is one more for you that I was called and told I should tell you Willym. This last weekend,my little girl in 10u was put in a round robbin she had no chance of wining in. I ask two difrant team coaches to not end it fast with my girl and to wrestle her. They ask me if I was asking them to go easy,I said hell no. I am asking you to take her down over and over or put her on her back many times.I also told them to do it at there normal speed.They did and pounded on my girl for the full time.I think one finished in a pin and one was tec or close.
On a 2nd note.My boy did take a boy down and let him up a few times.Not to be little him but to show his coach,you will not catch us on our feet.That would be a head lock to some that dont know,willym.

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 07:05 PM

Posted By: Wrestlin Scholar

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 07:18 PM

Taking a kid down and letting up is typical for wrestling. But putting a kid on their back and letting up is unsportsman like counduct and should have been called that by the referee. Still a judgement call, but most refs i've seen have called it this way. The kid should have been penalized.

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 07:28 PM

OK. What ever. I see no comparison between your son's match and situation and what I said was taunting. All that is beside the point. I Have my own political, social and religious opinions. I see no reason for any such comments on those subject on this forum. These were old, old typical comments from Don King---HS wrestling guru and social commentator. I think Don is also a closet BB and soccer fan--just afraid to come out of the closet in front of his wrestling buds!

But, thanks for reply. In itself an excellent example for your son.

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 08:49 PM

OK. What ever. I see no comparison between your son's match and situation and what I said was taunting. All that is beside the point. I Have my own political, social and religious opinions. I see no reason for any such comments on those subject on this forum. These were old, old typical comments from Don King---HS wrestling guru and social commentator. I think Don is also a closet BB and soccer fan--just afraid to come out of the closet in front of his wrestling buds!

But, thanks for reply. In itself an excellent example for your son.

I have never stated on this forum or anywhere that I don't like BB. I love BASEBALL and College Basketball. I cannot stand the NBA and soccer is just boring. The only things that ever interested me in soccer were Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain. I played in a rec league when I was in the 7th grade. The name of our team...The Cheezy Riders. We won the league while leading it in penalties and ejections. Absent those it was pretty boring even to play.

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 09:26 PM

Sorry chief, you misread something somewhere. But that is a common occurrence on this forum by a lot of readers.

I think our old friend Coklely posted a political diatribe. Then CWB, who identified himself as a Cokely, commented that that was the best post ever then went into another diatribe on socialism, the failures of our schools, how we were ruining or youth-everything except a long homophobic rant or a rail against same sex marriage. The same stuff you hear from politicians (Republicans) and many preachers. I get dragged across the coals, called ignorant, dumb, etc, for mentioning soccer and basketball. Wrestling folks don't like a/o hate those 2 sports and have told me often this wrestling forum is "NOT THE PLACE". OK, nor is this the place for politics, social philosophy, and religion. If you must, send a letter to the editor, talk with your social science professor, talk to your pastor---those are the "RIGHT PLACES".

Wrestling is part of the education system and the education system is being questioned so I think it belongs on the Forum. Wrestling might be one of the best things left in the education system. Read these articles and weep along with me Willy.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/35...=21103539621993

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-873X.2007.00405.x/abstract;jsessionid=4763BD20ECB1F749AFBF0A674EF08E54.f01t01?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

http://www.bgnelson.com/position_statements/Professionally%20Speaking%20-%20June%202007.pdf

The pussification of America continues

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 11:10 PM

Wrestling is part of the education system and the education system is being questioned so I think it belongs on the Forum. Wrestling might be one of the best things left in the education system. Read these articles and weep along with me Willy.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-873X.2007.00405.x/abstract;jsessionid=4763BD20ECB1F749AFBF0A674EF08E54.f01t01?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

http://www.bgnelson.com/position_statements/Professionally%20Speaking%20-%20June%202007.pdf

One more time, I won't talk soccer or basketball on this forum if you won't talk politics, social philosophy, and religion! I don't read articles you recommend that I expect are negative, right wing rants, nor do I listen to wackos like Rush and a list of other radical radio political talk hosts. Why would I read some thing like The pussification of America continues. I have repeatedly read your political outbursts for 3 or 4 years. Basically sir, they are full of crap. I trust my local public school teachers and administrators. I don't trust the latest bunch of wacko Republican, Tea Party, American's for Tax Prosperty, the Chamber Of Commerce, or Kansas state legislators-in fact I consider wackos like them to be the greatest danger to the future of America.

Look what I have done---I said no politics, no social philosophy, no religion on this forum--then I write a diatribe at least against politics and social philosophy. Forgive me, for evidently I have transgressed,---not sinned, transgressed. And this is not an anti-religion comment which I am sure some religious fruitcake will allege.

Re: Taunting - 02/19/14 11:50 PM

[quote=Chief Renegade][quote=WillyM]Tell you what, I won't talk soccer or basketball, if you wont talk politics, social philosophy, or religion on this forum. NOT THE PLACE!!! I already have a nut case right wing tea party wacko across the street

One more time, I won't talk soccer or basketball on this forum if you won't talk politics, social philosophy, and religion! I don't read articles you recommend that I expect are negative, right wing rants, nor do I listen to wackos like Rush and a list of other radical radio political talk hosts. Why would I read some thing like The pussification of America continues. I have repeatedly read your political outbursts for 3 or 4 years. Basically sir, they are full of crap. I trust my local public school teachers and administrators. I don't trust the latest bunch of wacko Republican, Tea Party, American's for Tax Prosperty, the Chamber Of Commerce, or Kansas state legislators-in fact I consider wackos like them to be the greatest danger to the future of America.

Look what I have done---I said no politics, no social philosophy, no religion on this forum--then I write a diatribe at least against politics and social philosophy. Forgive me, for evidently I have transgressed,---not sinned, transgressed. And this is not an anti-religion comment which I am sure some religious fruitcake will allege.

You took the bait. smile

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 01:40 AM

So, this is a game? OK. jokes on me. You still have a F--- U-,sorry, screwed up political philosophy. Why are you even concerned about public education, your kids go to private/parochial schools. Bet you are the only person on this forum who thinks like you on public education. Pussification? Where in the hell did that word come from---perhaps from your public education in Liberal. Hell of a background.

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 01:53 AM

So, this is a game? OK. jokes on me. You still have a F--- U-,sorry, screwed up political philosophy. Why are you even concerned about public education, your kids go to private/parochial schools. Bet you are the only person on this forum who thinks like you on public education. Pussification? Where in the hell did that word come from---perhaps from your public education in Liberal. Hell of a background.

Wow. Set up a poll Willy and let the voting begin! I pay taxes to that public school system. I work hard and I have no say in how it is operated and what belongs in the budget or doesn't. I get NO tax credit for paying for private school but I do get that choice and I have a voice there. I have a pretty decent education and it allows me to use words greater than four letters to express myself. While you are taking the Public Education poll go ahead and summon responses, positive and negative for that terrible but accurate word.

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 02:03 AM

Cokeley.. Do you know what a troll is. It is a person on a forum who "trolls" all comments and then spring butt with negative, offensive, demeaning, abusive, name calling, age slander, etc., replies. I think we have some trolls on this forum. Being that you are one of the top posters on this forum, and the value of many of your replies have little constructive value, have to ask if you live under a bridge (I will let you figure that out).

I belong to two other forums: a college conference BB forum and a college BB team forum. Those two forums have rules against trolling, and moderators who can and will remove abusive comments, and for repeat trolling offenses will cancel your forum posting privileges.

This is a true statement!! I received a PM yesterday from a member of this forum. He stated he wanted to post to the forum but he and his comments were always attacked by what he called cyberbullies. So, he just quit posting. TROLLs and CYBERBULLIES. Yes, we have some of those!
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 02:16 AM

Bill,

Did you really just complain about people being negative, abusive and demeaning while calling someone "screwed up" and talking about your "wacko" neighbor? Are you for real?

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 02:17 AM

Cokeley.. Do you know what a troll is. It is a person on a forum who "trolls" all comments and then spring butt with negative, offensive, demeaning, abusive, name calling, age slander, etc., replies. I think we have some trolls on this forum. Being that you are one of the top posters on this forum, and the value of many of your replies have little constructive value, have to ask if you live under a bridge (I will let you figure that out).

I belong to two other forums: a college conference BB forum and a college BB team forum. Those two forums have rules against trolling, and moderators who can and will remove abusive comments, and for repeat trolling offenses will cancel your forum posting privileges.

This is a true statement!! I received a PM yesterday from a member of this forum. He stated he wanted to post to the forum but he and his comments were always attacked by what he called cyberbullies. So, he just quit posting. TROLLs and CYBERBULLIES. Yes, we have some of those!

Cyberbully! That is hilarious. I have never threatened you or attacked you. You attack my posts. To me this is all just fun and freedom of speech. If anyone is losing sleep over what I type on here that is crazy. It is easy Willy, when you see Don's picture, you know the one you told me I need to get rid of, don't read the post. Really simple. If someone is afraid to post on here I don't even understand that because we have a large number of nameless, faceless posters that put there opinions on here. Sure they might take a little heat but they still don't have to put their name on the post. How do you bully a nameless, faceless poster? This is purely entertainment. No one is getting paid to do anything on this forum. I am sorry if you feel bullied. I should feel that way as you repeatedly attempt to label me and tag me with unflattering descriptions and names. I don't feel that way. It is all good. The more you write the more people might read and visit our site. Thanks!

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 02:19 AM

Wow. Set up a poll Willy and let the voting begin! I pay taxes to that public school system. I work hard and I have no say in how it is operated and what belongs in the budget or doesn't. I get NO tax credit for paying for private school but I do get that choice and I have a voice there. I have a pretty decent education and it allows me to use letters greater than four letters to express myself. While you are taking the Public Education poll go ahead and summon responses positive and negative for that terrible but accurate word.

Great, Your choice on sending your kids to a parochial school. Just don't ask me to give you a tax break or pay your tuition. I guess you live in Johnson County, with probably more great school systems (and athletic programs) than any county in America. So, if your kids don't attend those schools it must be for reasons other than academics and athletics. And, if you think you have no say, put it in a letter to the editor, talk to a member of your local school board, go to a school board meeeting. Hell, in Leavenworth City we have had two Catholics on the school board (one was the board president) whose kids attend the local Catholic schools. Never heard them cry, bitch and complain like you.

Keep your politics off this forum. That's what you told me to do with soccer and basketball.

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 02:25 AM

Cyberbully! That is hilarious. I have never threatened you or attacked you. You attack my posts. To me this is all just fun and freedom of speech. If anyone is losing sleep over what I type on here that is crazy. It is easy Willy, when you see Don's picture, you know the one you told me I need to get rid of, don't read the post. Really simple. If someone is afraid to post on here I don't even understand that because we have a large number of nameless, faceless posters that put there opinions on here. Sure they might take a little heat but they still don't have to put their name on the post. How do you bully a nameless, faceless poster? This is purely entertainment. No one is getting paid to do anything on this forum. I am sorry if you feel bullied. I should feel that way as you repeatedly attempt to label me and tag me with unflattering descriptions and names. I don't feel that way. It is all good. The more you write the more people might read and visit our site. Thanks!

Nope. I have never felt bullied on this forum-at least to the extent that I would not respond. Do I feel like I have been harshly addressed with snide comments like yours. Yes. But all those comments make me sit at the computer and respond in kind.

I haven't had this much fun since Granny caught he tit in the wringer!

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 02:43 AM

BREAKING NEWS! This just in, raining with thunder in Lawrence ... and now back to wrestling.

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 02:56 AM

I asked what I thought was an innocuous question: is there a rule on taunting in HS wrestling? This has turned into a real s--t storm. Needs to stop here.

I am out of here.

eNuff said.

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 03:17 AM

Bill, thick skin remember? This wasn't aimed at you; I get a little tired of watching a tennis match of bantering back and forth. You did ask a legitimate question and hopefully you got your answer somewhere in this thread. I have four boys and have seen my share of squabbling over the years to know what squabbling looks like. Now, let us get back to what is most important on this forum ... wrestling.

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 10:01 AM

I asked what I thought was an innocuous question: is there a rule on taunting in HS wrestling? This has turned into a real s--t storm. Needs to stop here.

I am out of here.

eNuff said.

You will respond, I'd put money on it.
Posted By: Scooter

Re: Taunting - 02/20/14 10:51 AM

http://www.kshsaa.org/Public/PDF/SportsmanshipBrochure.pdf

There is a rule against taunting. It was a huge deal when it came out when I was a senior in 1988, especially with the parents, they were pissed they couldn't yell at the refs. It has obviously been enforced less and less over the years with the student athletes and the fans.

Re: Taunting - 02/21/14 02:55 AM

It is most unfortunate the our school systems apparently have not been teaching how to have a civil debate or a disagreement without turning it into a personal attack.
Posted By: Ex Heights Coach

Re: Taunting - 02/21/14 03:37 AM

Don't blame inabilities of certain individuals on the school systems. They make personal choices as to what they say and how they react to statements of others.

Dee Gard
Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh

Re: Taunting - 02/21/14 04:10 AM

It is most unfortunate the our school system have not been teaching how to have a civil debate or a disagreement without turning it into a personal attack.

Our school system???? From when? The 80's or before?

Re: Taunting - 02/21/14 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Ex Heights Coach
Don't blame inabilities of certain individuals on the school systems. They make personal choices as to what they say and how they react to statements of others.

Dee Gard

Very true....I don't really have a beef with the schools. I've always figured it was up to the parents to make sure their kids turn out OK. You get out of school what you put into it. The teachers are there, the books are there, and you can sit in class and goof off or pay attention. But kids are kids so the parents have to be responsible too and decide whether they are willing to make the effort to oversee their children.

But like my dad used to say..."the world needs ditch diggers, too." There's a place for everyone.
Posted By: Shelstin

Re: Taunting - 02/22/14 01:55 PM

Wow. I had shoulder surgery ten days ago in Oklahoma City and had to come back down to get all of my stitches out and have a check up. I was feeling a little detached from a big Kansas wrestling weekend. So, I logged on to see how the small school tournaments were going and hoping to see some 5 and 6 A seeding gossip. This has to be the best thread that I have seen in a while. I have to admit that it's kind of hard to follow. It's obvious that the Brands Brothers are beasts. It's obvious that 99.99% of the wrestling people hate soccer. But.....Will, are you for or against the emascula-something of a diverse lemming population? where do we stand on gay marriage? I'm confused. Do we really need ditch diggers now that the "Ditch Witch" is available? Should parents demand that public schools have ditch witch classes? Is pretty much everyone against the poor guy who started this thread? Is that a decent summation?
Taunting and unsportsmanlike behavior? My opinion? You know it when you see it. I love wrestling season! Now I have to (get to?) shower and watch my ten year old nephew play in a basketball tournament in Edmond. I sure wish it was baseball season.....
I started this 3 hours ago. Typing with one finger takes a while.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums