Kansas Wrestling

Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets

Posted By: smokeycabin

Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 02/27/15 11:21 PM

Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets?
Posted By: ath618

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 02/28/15 12:24 AM

Smokeycabin not at the state tournament. Biggest surprise.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 02/28/15 02:02 AM

Ostrom over Clothier
Breckenridge over Harris
Marx over Tujague
Wilson over Steele
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 02/28/15 02:08 PM

Any non-#TeamTopHat wrestler beating any #TeamTopHat wrestler is the biggest upset in the history of the sport, if you ask me.
Posted By: DDW

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/01/15 01:02 PM

Now that the tourneys are complete - any other big upsets to add to the list? I think most were surprise with Nirshel (sp?) getting beat. I have a new level of respect for that young man. This is based on the classy way he handled the loss. No pouting. No drama. No head-gear throwing. Kept his head up. Made sure he shook hands with all involved and then calmly walked off the mat. Class act.
Posted By: Blast Double1

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/01/15 02:22 PM

I was at the 4a finals lastnight and I seen a lot of good sportsmanship. Kids helping each other up. Showing a lot of respect for each other. Nothing makes me more happy as a coach than taking a loss or a great win and showing that respect to the other that he or she deserves and the sport deserves.
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/01/15 04:02 PM

Braden Dipman from Derby and Brennan Tate from Dodge City rose up!

Congratulations to these two young men!
Posted By: Chase

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/01/15 04:16 PM

That thumping Xanders put on Denton in the finals was pretty surprising.. But Denton did thump his head on the concrete very early into the match, maybe need to look into getting more protection around the mat for the finals
Posted By: Ed Wilson

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/01/15 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Chase
That thumping Xanders put on Denton in the finals was pretty surprising.. But Denton did thump his head on the concrete very early into the match, maybe need to look into getting more protection around the mat for the finals

Denton looked like he needed help getting on and off the podium, like he was still dizzy 10 minutes after the match was over.
Posted By: ElvisP

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/01/15 09:03 PM

I was impressed with DeJuan Scott of Wichita Heights @ 195. Came into regionals as an unknown, qualified for state, and showed he could be one to watch.
Posted By: J. Dale

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/01/15 10:17 PM

I don't know if that hit on the head is the reason Xanders won 19-5
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 12:49 AM

No, all the medical research shows that hits to the head don't really affect anyone....Don't take anything away for Xanders...but the previous match history between the 2 is hard to ignore.
Posted By: momofjdent

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 12:52 AM

After the match Denton was seen by a physician and received 5 stitches for a cut next to his eye and was diagnosed with a concussion. He was severely dizzy and disoriented. During the match he had difficulty concentrating and his vision was blurry.
Posted By: panther73

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 01:08 AM

That concussion didn't affect his balance when he was going after Xander's trying to fight him when he lost. Didn't affect his ability to mock him on the podium and hold up the number one sign. Just sayin ....
Posted By: John Johnson

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 01:51 AM

Where did you get your medical degree?? The behavior you noted is not acceptable, but no one knows how the concussion affected his actions. Its time to let this die.
Posted By: GregMann

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 02:27 AM

I doubt he was diagnosed by a physician as having a concussion; if so, and he was allowed to wrestle, there was a serious violation of the protocol as mandated by the State Legislature in 2011.

see (e)

http://www.kshsaa.org/Public/PDF/KSHSAAConcussionGuidelines2014-15.pdf

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 02:34 AM

As I said before, after the match a physician diagnosed the concussion and stitched him up. The dr was from via Christi.
Posted By: GregMann

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 02:56 AM

And, as I said and showed, if it was determined by the physician Denton had a concussion and was allowed to wrestle, this was a serious violation of the concussion protocol as mandated by the State Legislature to the KSHSAA.

Someone there HAD to know of the restrictions: Tournament Director, Lead Official, Coach, etc.
Posted By: CMB

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 03:45 AM

What are the rules if a wrestler gets choked until he is unconscious and lays on the mat for 10-15 seconds unresponsive. He then wakes up and continues to wrestle. I know a couple years ago, Levi got choked out and had to forfeit the match. A couple refs said the rule had changed since then and the wrestler can continue now. Thanks

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 03:45 AM

According to the rules, the match clearly should have been called. I can tell you that it was not my sons desire to end his high school career 15 seconds into the state championship and I do not think he was in the right frame of mind to make the decision himself as he was very disoriented. By the rules it clearly states that if an athlete suffers from a concussion or head injury they should be immediately removed from the competition. I do not know who makes the call but I can tell you that anyone who falls head first onto concrete and as a result requires stitches on their head should if nothing else be deemed a head injury.
Posted By: doug747

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 12:19 PM

Chris they called the pin before figuring out he had been unconscious so there wasn't a question about letting him continue, it was over by fall.....
Posted By: Ref

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 01:24 PM

The rules put 100% of the decision on the coaches if a wrestler is to continue. As an official, we are never supposed to mention the word concussion on the mat if a wrestler has hit his head and looks disoriented. This rule and guideline was put in place to take all the liability off of the officials because we are not medical personnel.

Posted By: Ed Wilson

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: GregMann
And, as I said and showed, if it was determined by the physician Denton had a concussion and was allowed to wrestle, this was a serious violation of the concussion protocol as mandated by the State Legislature to the KSHSAA.

Someone there HAD to know of the restrictions: Tournament Director, Lead Official, Coach, etc.

She stated twice that AFTER the match he was diagnosed with a concussion. Everyone reacts differently to brain trama, the ones are here not taking this seriously have probably never had to deal with a bad one. I didnt see the begining og the match, once he hit his head on the co crete he probably shouldnt have continued, one wrestling match isnt worth any kind of permanent damage. Probably not a good call by his coaches to let him go on.
Posted By: J. Dale

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 08:49 PM

Ok. Here's an even bigger surprise, when you walk out of the Arena to see two cars collided and hit your parked vehicle. Then the surprise when both insurance companies say it's not their fault that you should file it under your insurance. Now that has to be the biggest surprise AND upset this weekend.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Ref
The rules put 100% of the decision on the coaches if a wrestler is to continue. As an official, we are never supposed to mention the word concussion on the mat if a wrestler has hit his head and looks disoriented. This rule and guideline was put in place to take all the liability off of the officials because we are not medical personnel.

I am sure there was a qualified medical person on site???
Posted By: Ref

Re: Biggest Surprise/Results/Upsets - 03/02/15 10:39 PM

Absolutely. Of course if there is a designated on-site physician they should have the ultimate say. I'm sure here was one on site there.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums