Kansas Wrestling

Most matches in a Season

Posted By: BigPin22

Most matches in a Season - 02/16/16 06:38 PM

It looks like Tyler Hensley should end up with over 60 matches this year. Has anyone else done this?????

By my math, that pace (over a 4 year period) would take most wrestlers an additional 2 years of wrestling to hit that number. (6 years total)
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/16/16 09:14 PM

Reese Cokeley had 209 career matches for the Thunder. He had 59 his junior year (even missing a few matches because of auto accident). I believe that is the most ever by a Kansas HS wrestler. I haven't done the career math on Tbone yet. I proposed this as a record for the KWCA to monitor as it takes an ironman wrestler to stay healthy and motivated as that is a ton of backside matches.

The career takedown record and some of the others are really contrary to wrestling. There have been many, many wrestlers who could have gone the takedown and cutem' route to inflate this number but wrestling is about pinning not humiliating. JMO
Posted By: Ed Wilson

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/16/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Cokeley
The career takedown record and some of the others are really contrary to wrestling. There have been many, many wrestlers who could have gone the takedown and cutem' route to inflate this number but wrestling is about pinning not humiliating. JMO

Agree 100%, I dont understand why coaches/parents let their wrestlers parene takedown/cut em' routine, it is the worst kind of sportsmanship, imo.
Posted By: Coach Malay

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/16/16 10:31 PM

We allow max of 3 per match.
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/17/16 01:33 PM

I proposed this as a record for the KWCA to monitor as it takes an ironman wrestler to stay healthy and motivated as that is a ton of backside matches.

I agree!
Posted By: RightCall

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/17/16 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ed Wilson

Agree 100%, I dont understand why coaches/parents let their wrestlers parene takedown/cut em' routine, it is the worst kind of sportsmanship, imo.

I'm not intentionally trying to take away from the topic of most matches (Congrats to the young man who has made it through the grind), but I feel the need to shed a different light on the subject of cutting opponents. We have to remember if any young wrestler has the mind set to wrestle internationally then he/she must be good on their feet. I have encouraged a few cuts in my day with the intention of getting better at takedowns, although a vast majority probably cut opponents because they believe it "looks cool" there are a few who do it with a purpose... i.e. to get better from the neutral position. Just a different view.. but to the ones who think it's "cool"... It's really not.. IMO.. Good day.

Clark Forward
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/17/16 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: RightCall
Originally Posted By: Ed Wilson

I'm not intentionally trying to take away from the topic of most matches (Congrats to the young man who has made it through the grind), but I feel the need to shed a different light on the subject of cutting opponents. We have to remember if any young wrestler has the mind set to wrestle internationally then he/she must be good on their feet. I have encouraged a few cuts in my day with the intention of getting better at takedowns, although a vast majority probably cut opponents because they believe it "looks cool" there are a few who do it with a purpose... i.e. to get better from the neutral position. Just a different view.. but to the ones who think it's "cool"... It's really not.. IMO.. Good day.

Clark Forward

I believe in the "cut" to get better but I don't believe in beating someone 30-14 just to rack up 15 takedowns. I think that keeping the record is sending the wrong message and some are motivated to have this record so they do exactly what I described or mount a 14 point lead and then seek a fall. But, that being said, if you can take an opponent down at will, there is NOT any learning going on by either wrestler.
Posted By: RightCall

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/17/16 04:10 PM

But, that being said, if you can take an opponent down at will, there is NOT any learning going on by either wrestler. [/quote]

You forgot to say.. IMO.. because IMO I believe you can learn something from anything and everything.. once again IMO.. but I respect you view sir.. Good day.
(Congrats to the young man who has endured the grind)

Clark Forward
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Most matches in a Season - 02/18/16 02:28 AM

Great job Tyler,
But as you quote, BigPin22, "Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums