Kansas Wrestling

Full Teams at regionals...

Posted By: Chief Renegade

Full Teams at regionals... - 02/17/17 03:17 PM

Total number of full teams at the 12 regionals...

GD 5A - 7
HUT 6A - 6
BV 6A - 4
LV 5A - 3
FRT 4A - 2
ELD 4A - 2
BUH 4A - 2
SFT 4A - 1
JAY 3A - 1
WAB 3A - 1
SES 3A - 0
TRG 3A - 0
Posted By: smokeycabin

Re: Full Teams at regionals... - 02/17/17 07:25 PM

Yikes!
Posted By: Chief Renegade

Re: Full Teams at regionals... - 02/17/17 09:24 PM

That seems impossible.

Re: Full Teams at regionals... - 02/17/17 10:14 PM

Sad - Time for a KS wrestling summit.

Re: Full Teams at regionals... - 02/17/17 11:21 PM

You can not just talk about it - Get together clubs, HS coaches, Middle School Coaches, Administrators, board people - you have to be doers and get it done. Ideas are great but you need to implement those ideas. Coaches need to do a few free clinics, we actually had a 1 month wrestling PE class in 6th grade.

We use to hand out actual fliers that went to middle schools, elementary school - the age of electronic bulletin boards for gtting the message to parents is not as effective as a colored piece of paper/flyer in their back pack that came home from PE class - now they can hang that on their fridge or bulletin board. Our club numbers took an immediate dip when the schools did not allow us to drop off actual fliers to the PE teacher to hand out. -

So we changed tactics - It takes time and effort. Go to youth football leagues and hand out fliers

This year We took a page from the KC Wrestling Club and put yard signs in front of the middle schools this year and some high traffic areas around OE/STA - I think it helped and increased our numbers in the 10 -14 range. It was a good turn out - we had a free clinic and early registration period. I bet a dime if every club (all 200 plus across the state) put 10 to 20 yards signs in front of middle schools and around their community the KS clubs and the USA WKS state would see a noticeable jump in 10 - 14 year olds that was my tip for the day.

Tell the kids you do have and their parents to bring one friend who might like to try the sport - do it right you can hook them into liking the sport.

Re: Full Teams at regionals... - 02/22/17 10:59 PM

I don't want to say I told you so.

You can not just talk about it - Get together clubs, HS coaches, Middle School Coaches, Administrators, board people - you have to be doers and get it done. Ideas are great but you need to implement those ideas. Coaches need to do a few free clinics, we actually had a 1 month wrestling PE class in 6th grade.

We use to hand out actual fliers that went to middle schools, elementary school - the age of electronic bulletin boards for gtting the message to parents is not as effective as a colored piece of paper/flyer in their back pack that came home from PE class - now they can hang that on their fridge or bulletin board. Our club numbers took an immediate dip when the schools did not allow us to drop off actual fliers to the PE teacher to hand out. -

So we changed tactics - It takes time and effort. Go to youth football leagues and hand out fliers

This year We took a page from the KC Wrestling Club and put yard signs in front of the middle schools this year and some high traffic areas around OE/STA - I think it helped and increased our numbers in the 10 -14 range. It was a good turn out - we had a free clinic and early registration period. I bet a dime if every club (all 200 plus across the state) put 10 to 20 yards signs in front of middle schools and around their community the KS clubs and the USA WKS state would see a noticeable jump in 10 - 14 year olds that was my tip for the day.

Tell the kids you do have and their parents to bring one friend who might like to try the sport - do it right you can hook them into liking the sport.
Posted By: Spexy

Re: Full Teams at regionals... - 02/23/17 12:26 AM

Ok, I get it, get more kids involved. But how many coming from, club, middle school can handle a High school practice room? NOT MANY! Those that do stick it out go on, even if being JV, just to have a shot after Seniors move out, to be on varsity.

Imop, wrestling is the hardest sport ANY kid will ever do. Watch weight, practice with superior wrestlers, fill in for Varsity wrestlers, (get butt kicked) and go back to JV.

It's a sport that is not favored by very many schools. Not all but most.

Look at basketball, football, etc., for stand support.

What do you guys see? Only those that know wrestling show up.

And doesn't matter if you know basketball or football, the fans still show up!

Funny to me.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums