Kansas Wrestling

Gauging interest

Posted By: Brent Lane

Gauging interest - 03/05/17 11:57 PM

Looking at hosting a summer dual tournament or individual tournament on a football field under the lights in possibly early June. Summer wrestling under the lights, low cost ($15-20 per wrestler) for the participants/teams. Just trying to gauge the interest to see if this is something high school (7-12) would come to.

What would you (coaches/wrestlers/parents) prefer to have? Dual tournament or individual bracketed?

Thoughts?
Posted By: rccokeley

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 12:24 AM

Freestyle or Greco?
Posted By: DamonParker

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 12:35 AM

I would DEFINITELY be down. Selfishly would prefer a dual tournament as that would help get our teams ready for the dual camp we go to in Gunnison mid-June. If the dates work I would guess we could get 2 full teams there.
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 01:22 AM

For sure has to be FS/GR or hold off until August
Posted By: DamonParker

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 02:06 AM

Any tournament addition, no matter what the style, is a good addition. Especially if the kids get to wrestle outside under the lights. Very cool idea.
Posted By: Aaron Haselwood

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 02:14 AM

Interesting concept - I'd be interested!
Posted By: rccokeley

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 02:55 PM

Time of year and style should for sure matter. If you're going to hold it during the summer time then why not wrestle the summer styles? We should be exposing our wrestlers to freestyle and greco. It's pretty much proven that wrestling and having knowledge all 3 styles makes you a better wrestler. Look at the top wrestlers from our state most of them if not all have wrestled freestyle and greco.

Sorry for high-jacking your thread, Brent. To your question, you should do whatever format gets the kids the most matches with the limited amount of time you have.
Posted By: JCook

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 03:07 PM

Maybe have an open for FS/GR at the event.
Posted By: ath618

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 03:33 PM

This is a great idea. Fees associated with this are a bit high in Olathe.

ODAC/CBAC
$100.00 an hour Field use
$30.00 an hour for each custodian
$25.00 an hour for each turf management person
$100.00 use of lights.

Re: Gauging interest - 03/06/17 05:18 PM

I am looking at dual format, HS 7-12th and it would more than likely be folkstyle, but I like the idea of freestyle and greco somehow. Just wanting to see what works best and get the kids as many matches as possible. We would take individuals and find them a team, but I would like teams to enter mainly. Get the benefit of competing together in the summer. I think with the lights on we would go late into the night. Possibly t-shirts for the team champions. I am looking at June 10th as the date.

Re: Gauging interest - 03/07/17 07:21 PM

Does a weekday work better than a weekend?

Re: Gauging interest - 03/13/17 02:08 AM

Just a quick update, I have a flier put together and am finalizing the details. I have had several interested teams so far and will cap it at 12. Looking at hosting on a Wednesday evening, each team would get 5 duals. It would go late into the night but that is okay because it is summer. If you are interested as a team or an individual email me at lanetimes5@gmail.com
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums