Kansas Wrestling

Senior Classic

Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Senior Classic - 03/02/05 08:53 PM

What is the date and time for the classic? Is it still going to be in Topeka at the ExpoCenter?
Posted By: Nedly

Re: Senior Classic - 03/02/05 11:07 PM

March 24th at 7:00pm

At the Expo Center in Topeka.

Ned
Posted By: P. Pitbull's Old Dog

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/05 04:46 PM

Big schools(5A,6A) vs. small schools(4A,321A)

Any predictions on the outcome and when will we get to see a line-up?

Coach Peterman

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/05 07:25 PM

I said at the beginning of the year it would probably be NCKL, Norton, SFT guys in the lineup mainly for the small schools, I would also add for the small schools Silver Lake and Scott City.

for 5/6a the Campus seniors should all be there and I'd assume a Manhattan guy or two and Shawnee Heights should have 2 as well.
Posted By: Michael Malay

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/05 09:04 PM

this is the litttle schools
103-Normandin
112-idk
119-Owings
125-Bloodgood
130-Orozco
135-Younkin
140-Tyler
145-Grater
152-Zahm/Burns
160-Taplin/Newell
171-Foster/Wiscombe
189-Pursel
215-Pulec/Fox
275-Sprigg
Posted By: coachtwink

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/05 09:10 PM

Are those the official line-ups, or your predictions?

There are so few Norton kids since they are almost all coming back next year!

Re: Senior Classic - 03/03/05 09:50 PM

predctions
Posted By: Computerized Shoes

Re: Senior Classic - 03/04/05 04:37 AM

Perty good predictions Malay.
Posted By: ThreePointBuck

Re: Senior Classic - 03/04/05 05:40 AM

I know that by following the criteria this probaly won't happen, but I think that Chenoweth should be picked over Newell at 160.
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: Senior Classic - 03/04/05 08:19 AM

If Taplin doesnt contend, definitely Curtis should be the MAN!!! every year that an athlete participates in Basketball, especially if it is done after some expertise in wrestling is developed, should erase ten years of wrestling prowess from one's record. Now before I get fried, I am just kidding, Newell's multi talents certainly show that he is quite an athlete. Curtis, though, is definitely the real deal, and quite a young man, as well.
Posted By: Bronco Wrestler

Re: Senior Classic - 03/06/05 08:51 PM

did he compete for the Mankato basketball team in substate as well? I heard on the finals broadcast on SHPTV that he may be able to do so, is there a KSHSAA rule against it?
Posted By: gutwrench1

Re: Senior Classic - 03/07/05 02:44 PM

What's the format? One guy picked for each weight from small school and one from large schools? Or, will their be some weights with two matches? Does anyone know? Is it a dual with 14 bouts or something else.
Posted By: Jim

Re: Senior Classic - 03/08/05 01:05 AM

I thought it was the top finishing Sr. in each weight class that accepts the offer was how the teams were to be picked.
Posted By: Coach Brown

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 02:05 PM

For 215 at the smaller schools, if they do not pick the heighest placing senior in each weight, should be Allyn Plattner-but I am a little biased. Also Lamar told me last night at the Metro that the teams have already been picked and the wrestlers should be getting calls as we speak.
Coach Brown
Posted By: Kit Harris

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 02:47 PM

The teams have been pre-selected and wrestlers are being called and are being asked for confirmations. We will announce the official match-ups when we get acceptance from the wrestlers. There is always a lot of shuffling around as wrestlers are turning down invitations, are injured, have conflicts, etc. There are a lot of KWCA coaches working on this and a roster will be released as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
Kit Harris
KWCA President

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 02:53 PM

The meet is going to again be at the Topeka Expocenter. The date is March 24, starting at 7 p.m.

One team consists of "small school" all-stars (4A and 321A) against a team of "big school" all-stars (6A and 5A).

All 2005 senior state champions received an automatic invitation, and the top finishers were invited as need to complete the rosters.

We are excited about this great event and hope to have another record-breaking crowd to view an evening of high school student-athletes put on a great display of competition, action, wrestling skill, determination, and sportsmanship.

Before the meet, all state record-breakers will be honored as well.

Regards,
Kit Harris
KWCA President
Posted By: Mike Juby

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 03:04 PM

Tentative rosters (very tentative) can be found at http://www.usawks.com/invites/050324_SeniorClassic.htm . That page will be updated as changes occur.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 03:22 PM

The roster as posted has some outstanding matches scheduled, I encourage everyone to attend this event.

Wrestler from Small school is listed first!

Isaac Wall Andover vs Tommy Edgmon Goddard
Corey Bloodgood Spring Hill vs Conner Crumbliss Ark City
Madison King Wamego vs Tim Elliott Wichita South
Cody Garvin Baxter Springs vs Mike Mancuso Junction City
Simon Orozco Ellsworth vs Josh Baldridge Campus
Levi Younkin Oakley vs Geoffrey Tucker Wichita West
Kenny Tyler West Elk vs Phillip Craig Hutch
Danny Grater Clay Center vs Joseph Cornejo Campus
Shawn Kuhlman Oakley vs Chaz Hill SMNW
Nick Zahm Columbus vs Dave Anderson Campus
Nick Newell Mankato vs Jesse Harris Maize
Ross Taplin Abilene vs Brandon Wise Pittsburg
Justin Wiscombe SFT vs Blake Malloy Shawnee Hts
Dustin Foster Sedgwick vs Ryan Sonderegger SM East
Chris Pursel ACCHS vs Sean Pietrzyk Salina South
Jacob Marrs Clay Center vs Neil Cisper STA
Lucas Fox Scott City vs Ryan Sponsel Bishop Carroll
Chris Pulec Stockton vs Spencer Curran BV North
Michael Sprigg Norton vs Ryan Roe Derby
Posted By: Mike Juby

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 03:32 PM

Richard,

The link seems to work for me. You might try refreshing (reloading) the page. If that doesn't work, or if anyone else is having trouble using the link ( http://www.usawks.com/invites/050324_SeniorClassic.htm ), please let me know.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 05:25 PM

I realize it's early but that is a heck of a lineup!
Posted By: LancerM

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 08:44 PM

The second round of Cornejo and Grater should be fun to watch.
Posted By: 321a_140

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 08:57 PM

Any predictions as to which team will come out ahead? I'm pulling for the Blue team, as I'm a little biased towards the small schools. There look to be many great match-ups.

Hey Swayz, will you be in attendance during this event? Or during the following days at te kids state tournament? I would like to meet you,as I have yet to have that honor.

-Kenny Tyler
Posted By: Coach Brown

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 09:44 PM

Allyn Plattner will be werstling at 215 in the Senior Classic, we just recieved a call from Dennis Charbeneau asking if Allyn would be interested. Of course he was, so we will see you on the 24th and can not wait to see all the matches. We are not sure who he will wrestle, either the 6a or 5a champ but none the less we are excited!
Congrats to Dennis and Billy Johnson being named the head coaches for the 4321A team!
Coach Brown

Re: Senior Classic - 03/09/05 10:40 PM

Paul Owings is wrestling also
Posted By: iFeelFat

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 12:09 AM

kenny from west elk is going to dominate

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 321a_140:
Any predictions as to which team will come out ahead? I'm pulling for the Blue team, as I'm a little biased towards the small schools. There look to be many great match-ups.

Hey Swayz, will you be in attendance during this event? Or during the following days at te kids state tournament? I would like to meet you,as I have yet to have that honor.

-Kenny Tyler
Kenny, I plan on being there for at least the Senior classic and probably the Saturday portion of kids state. Will coach Johnson actually be there this year? If not I wouldn't mind being a coach LOL.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 03:45 AM

MY PREDICTIONS:

Senior Classic
The Class of 2005
March 24 @ Kansas Expocentre

Wt
Team Small Schools
Team Big Schools
Match Team
Coaches
119 Isaac Wall Andover vs Tommy Edgmon Goddard- Wall WBD, SS 3 BS 0
125 Corey Bloodgood Spring Hill vs Conner Crumbliss Ark City- Crumbliss WBMD, SS 3 BS 4
125 Madison King Wamego vs Tim Elliott Wichita South- Elliot WBD, SS 3 BS 7
130 Cody Garvin Baxter Springs vs Mike Mancuso Junction City- Mancuso WBD, SS 3 BS 10
130 Simon Orozco Ellsworth vs Josh Baldridge Campus- Baldridge WBF, SS 3 BS 16
135 Levi Younkin Oakley vs Geoffrey Tucker Wichita West- Younkin WBD, SS 6 BS 16
140 Kenny Tyler West Elk vs Phillip Craig Hutch- Tyler WBD, SS 9 BS 16
145 Danny Grater Clay Center vs Joseph Cornejo Campus- Grater WBD(OT), SS 12 BS 16
145 Shawn Kuhlman Oakley vs Chaz Hill SMNW- Hill WBD, SS 12 BS 19
152 Nick Zahm Columbus vs Dave Anderson Campus- Zahm WBD, SS 15 BS 19
152 Nick Newell Mankato vs Jesse Harris Maize- Newll WBD, SS 18 BS 19
160 Ross Taplin Abilene vs Brandon Wise Pittsburg- Taplin WBF, SS 24 BS 19
171 Justin Wiscombe SFT vs Blake Malloy Shawnee Hts- Malloy WBD(OT), SS 24 BS 22
171 Dustin Foster Sedgwick vs Ryan Sonderegger SM East- Sonderegger WBD, SS 24 BS 25
189 Chris Pursel ACCHS vs Sean Pietrzyk Salina South- Pietrzyk WBD, SS 24 BS 28
189 Jacob Marrs Clay Center vs Neil Cisper STA- Maars WBD, SS 27 BS 28
215 Lucas Fox Scott City vs Ryan Sponsel Bishop Carroll- Sponsel WBD, SS 27 BS 31
215 Chris Pulec Stockton vs Spencer Curran BV North- Curran WBMD, SS 27 BS 35
275 Michael Sprigg Norton vs Ryan Roe Derby- Sprigg WBF, SS 33 BS 35

just a few guesses, and some matches were too close to pick a clear cut winner so i had to almost flip a coin and others like orozco/baldridge I had to take baldridge due to a common opponent (weatherbee) but the rest are on pure guestimation, any others? unfortunately I have the small school all-stars losing by 2, but I hope we win

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 03:57 AM

I really liked small schools chances until I saw the matchups.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 03:58 AM

I agree Aaron, there's a few matchups I didn't like the looks of, but there will for sure be some great wrestling, also if the Tag Team Match Tournament can be held in Salina I hope to see you there

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 04:02 AM

Most recent line-ups:

Small School vs. Big School
112-Isaac Wall (AND) vs. Seth Metzler (NEW)
119-Paul Owings (PLAIN) vs. Tommy Edgmon (GODD)
125-Cody Garvin (BAX. SP.) vs. Tim Elliott (WS)
125-Cory Bloodgood (SH) vs. Conner Crumbliss (AC)
130-Cale Farber (HOXIE) vs. Mike Mancuso (JC)
130-Simon Orozco (ELL) vs. Josh Baldridge (CAM)
135-Levi Younkin (OAK) vs. Geoffrey Tucker (WW)
140-Kenny Tyler (WE) vs. Phillip Craig (HUT)
145-Danny Grater (CC) vs. Joseph Cornejo (CAM)
145-Shawn Kuhlman (OAK) vs. Chaz Hill (SMNW)
152-Nick Zahm (COLU) vs. Dave Anderson (CAM)
152-Nick Newell (MAN) vs. Jesse Harris (MAIZE)
160-Ross Taplin (AB) vs. Brandon Wise (PITT)
171-Justin Wiscombe (SFT) vs. Blake Malloy (SH)
171-Dustin Foster (SEDG) vs. Ryan Sonderegger (SME)
189-Chris Pursel (EFF) vs. Sean Pietrzyk (SS)
189-Jacob Marrs (CC) vs. Neil Cisper (STA)
215-Allyn Plattner (SAB) vs. Ryan Sponsel (BC)
215-Chris Pulec (STOCK) vs. Spencer Curran (BVN)
275-Michael Sprigg (NORT) vs. Ryan Roe (DERB)
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 04:31 AM

I'm definatly going to be at this baby!
Posted By: chewbacca

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 04:45 AM

Nigel, you'll get another chance to see the Grater vs. Cornejo match that you didn't get to watch at Newton.
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 07:51 AM

I know thats exactly why I want to go watch it, hopefully this time, both wrestlers will open up and we'll see much more scoring. There is no record on the line, only pride.
Posted By: TCarmona

Re: Senior Classic - 03/10/05 08:29 PM

Bronco Wrestler as we can see your bias over and over again....
Posted By: kswrestler1212

Re: Senior Classic - 03/11/05 02:32 AM

does any know why they swapped garvin and orozco ?
Posted By: kswrestler1212

Re: Senior Classic - 03/11/05 02:47 AM

should be good matches all the way through

Re: Senior Classic - 03/11/05 02:56 AM

Actually TCarmona: Bronco Wrestler surprisingly didn't seem to bias in his oppions. He picked Malloy over Wiscombe (Wiscombe has beaten him this year), he also picked Chaz Hill of Shawn Kuhlman which might be close but I'd still give the edge to Kuhlman. He also gave the Sponsel/Fox match to Sponsel which would be a tough one to decide. Another includes the Foster/Sonderegger matchup whereas I see the outcome being differently. I'd have to say those judgments weren't too bias. Word.
Posted By: Roark

Re: Senior Classic - 03/11/05 01:25 PM

I think they are all really good wrestlers and it's to close to call right now. Some matches could go either way.
Posted By: Roark

Re: Senior Classic - 03/11/05 01:27 PM

Everybody except Nick Zahm that is. HE SUCKS!
Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

Re: Senior Classic - 03/12/05 12:14 AM

Can I be a towel boy or a blood boy?
Posted By: 321a_140

Re: Senior Classic - 03/12/05 07:30 PM

You would make a good towel boy...maybe you could do some take downs on them.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/13/05 06:36 AM

I gotta practice them somehow. I could also be an honorary mat roller. I've got lots experience at that. If it was possible, I think I would have been all state at mat rolling.
Posted By: all-year54 215 26

Re: Senior Classic - 03/13/05 08:56 PM

does anyone know if there is any pound allowance for this event?

Re: Senior Classic - 03/13/05 10:36 PM

Every wrestler is given a 10-pound allowance.
Posted By: superiorsteve

Re: Senior Classic - 03/14/05 05:42 AM

Spen ..... you "beefin up" for baseball? ..... good game and your Steve buddies will be there .... so kick a**
Posted By: olderigetbetteriwuz

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/05 02:04 AM

Wow , do you really think it wil be this close? I get the impression from my 6A friends that there wouldnt be any quality athletics in Kansas if it werent for them.
I also get the same little turned up nose and sniff when I mention Labette as National Champions. Oh well I guess we will see. I was expecting it to be like 0-200,000
Posted By: SFoster

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/05 02:20 PM

Bronco Wrestler,
I am just curious, how many of these wrestlers have you actually watched wrestle?
Posted By: TCarmona

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/05 02:48 PM

You better protect him Computerized Shoes
Posted By: nomad

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/05 05:19 PM

Quote:
I thought it was the top finishing Sr. in each weight class that accepts the offer was how the teams were to be picked.
Well that is not the case at 215
Posted By: all-year54 215 26

Re: Senior Classic - 03/15/05 06:34 PM

it is the top finishing senior for each class
6A- Spencer Curran(me) 1st
5A- Sponsel- 1st
4A- Fox must have declined the invitation and then it went to Marrs and he's wrestling 189
321A- Pulec-1st and then Playtner is taking Fox's spot i assume because of Marrs going to 189

Re: Senior Classic - 03/17/05 05:56 PM

SFoster:

Bronco Wrestler has wrestled everyone in the world. Granted, he may not have won each and every match but...he can win ladies so watch your back.

How was that TCarmona?

Re: Senior Classic - 03/17/05 11:22 PM

With a new format for the Senior Classic this year (big school vs. small school format), the KWCA board officers deliberated for a very long time as to the criteria, selection of wrestlers, etc. After listing all of the wrestlers we wanted to invite, we realized we had a meet that was way too large (a competition that was looking at 3+ hours of wrestling at the very least). We ultimately decided to limit the meet to 2005 state champions as garaunteed entrants, and after that list was compiled, we invited the most accomplished seniors we could find to also take part in the event. This lineup is still tentative, as we are still waiting on confirmations, wrestlers are backing out, waiting to see if they can compete, etc. Since there were no senior state champions at 103, there is not a match at 103.

As for 215, yes Fox was invited and regretfully had to decline. The selection committee then selected Allyn Plattner of Sabetha as his replacement because he was SQ, 4th, 2nd, and 4th in his four years....he was chosen over a wrestler that qualified as a senior and placed third in that year (even though he defeated Plattner at state). These decisions were tough and we hope you can understand the difficult task the selection committee had in front of them.

There are MANY talented and successful senior wrestlers throughout the state and we certainly wish we could invite them all. However, to make the competition feasible, that was just not possible. Thanks for your understanding and please do not hesitate to email me with your thoughts and/or suggestions for future consideration. We are and always will be open to your input! We want to continue to make this competition something all of Kansas can be very proud of!!

Kind Regards,
Kit Harris
KWCA President
kharris@usd348.com

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/05 12:14 AM

If that's the case, why isn't Chenoweth in there. He placed three years to Newell's once.
Posted By: D. Fairleigh

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/05 02:31 AM

Curtis Chenowith was always at the top of the finishing for four years, not to mention tied for the all time record for most takedowns. Too bad no one saw fit to reward picking a sport and staying with it as being particularly important. My vote certainly would have gone to Chenowith.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/05 03:27 AM

Newell was a state champion....all 2005 state champions were given automatic invitation.

Regards,
Kit Harris

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/05 05:26 AM

Chenoweth has had a more successful career though, he just got beat by an amazing wrestler in the finals. And Plattner was picked over a guy that beat him.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/05 07:09 PM

All 2005 state champions were given automatic invitation. You are right, though, Chenoweth is an outstanding wrestler who has had a very successful career.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/05 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Computerized Shoes:
SFoster:

Bronco Wrestler has wrestled everyone in the world. Granted, he may not have won each and every match but...he can win ladies so watch your back.
Well said my new friend, I may not have won every match against everyone, but I have wrestled them. Also I am good with the ladies thanks to a new coach I have.

Alex

Re: Senior Classic - 03/18/05 09:44 PM

ThreePointBuck, even though I won't be wrestling at the Classic's, I'll still be there too watch. But you and anybody that wants to see my skills displayed one last time in Kansas during high school can come watch me at the tag team match. I've been working on a couple new takedowns just for this match. So everyone that goes to the Classic's should stay for the tag team match.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/19/05 04:33 AM

three point buck. the reason y chenowith had a better career is because newell played bball his first three years of highschool. so its not hard to see y he had a better career.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/05 02:21 AM

If I did my research right, in kids state Chenoweth won the 160 lb. state bracket last year. Placing sixth in this bracket was Nick Newell. I don't know about you, but it seems as though Chenoweth was a little more successful when they were in the same bracket. Chenoweth could have played basketball as well for his first three years of high school, because he's actually pretty decent at it. He can beat all but one of our varsity players in one on one. But he was dedicated to wrestling, and he always has been.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/05 03:03 AM

ThreePointBuck I must agree about Chenoweth having the most decorated career of the two, but last year Newell did kids club after having played basketball all year long, so was a little rusty, but still Chenoweth won it fair and square

Alex

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/05 03:05 AM

I dont think we're talkin about kids state. They dont care if he won it in kids state. he won state this year and chenowith didnt (no offence to chris).

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/05 04:13 AM

chris? I know Curtis as he has allowed myself the use of his last name

Alex CHENOWETH

Re: Senior Classic - 03/20/05 03:37 PM

i meant Curtis. sry about that.
Posted By: krazykat

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/05 12:42 AM

I personally think Chenoweth deserved to be invited to this tourney. He has never been given the recognition he deserves. Chenoweth is AN OUTSTANDING WRESTLER by far. Personally I think he wasn't invited because whomever decided these match ups didn't want to give Chenoweth another shot at Taplin. Everybody knows his reputation, but yet they don't seem to want to admit something good when it is staring them in their face. He is a wonderful role model to any younger up and coming athlete, wether it be wrestling, football, track. He has never given up and never will. Who remembers last year at the Park City Classic and the remainder of his YOUTH career, YES I'M BRINGING YOUTH BACK INTO IT, he wrestled on a broken ankle....how many athletes do you know would do that? Me, 1. How many wrestlers given an outstanding wrestler award at a tournament would give it to a fellow wrestler from his club, Me, 1. Chenoweth deserves to be recognized. By the way a couple other notes, when he beat Wise from Pittsburg, he was sick, when he beat Cook from Goodland, he was sick. You see even broken bones, coming off being very sick, he still NEVER GIVES UP!!
Posted By: Kelly Petite

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/05 01:21 PM

We all understand that Chenowith is a good wrestler, but let it go. It's over and done. It's awesome that he's been a 3 time placer but he never got the one that counted to be in the dual peroid.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/21/05 05:24 PM

I can accept the fact that I never placed high enough to wrestle in this dual. I'm not gonna lie to anybody, I really want to be involved in it, but like Kelly Petite pointed out, I never won the match that mattered most. I thought that breaking a state record would help get me there, but I only tied it. I can accept the fact that I win state and I don't deserve to be involved over others. So if everybody else could accept the fact with me I'd appreciate it. And good luck to Nick Newell and everybody else involved in the dual.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/05 12:08 AM

Good sport, pat on the back to u. u were a great wrestler. u were good enough to wrestle in this dual.

Re: Senior Classic - 03/22/05 08:34 PM

I think you'll make a better tag teamer & partner anyway, you're going to be saving my butt from the holds of Fairleigh & Kruetzer, Gossett I can handle myself

Re: Senior Classic - 03/23/05 01:30 PM

Alex Alex Alex....your time for understanding is coming soon. I will make it a point to embarrass you, let's just hope you don't flea to the matside scared. I'm coming to get you.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums