Kansas Wrestling

BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY

Posted By: Roy G Biv

BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 12:45 AM

My hands down vote for the best wrestler in the history of Kansas is Mohammed Nomani from Blue Valley North. He was monsterously strong, crushing opponets bones into apple sauce with his bare hands. He was quicker than anybody I have ever seen in my long life of watching wrestling. He was in better condition than everyone at any weight. He was an incredible technician, and furthermore, he was a true competitor. MOHAMMED NOMANI #1
What do you think? I know you probably agree, but just let me know
Posted By: Kanji

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 12:50 AM

you cant over look free states 125 lb-er adam berg.. he is one of the best by far
Posted By: jmadden

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 01:02 AM

I hate to pick one because there are lots of them but immediately Roy Oeser of Kapaun-mid 70's comes to my mind.
Posted By: bee eye veee

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 01:33 AM

Well Roy,
I would definitely say that muhammed nomani was one of the top notch wrestlers not only in kansas but probably in the world. I remember one match where he was wrestling a kid I think that was named Ian "the Donkey" Bork. Muhammed tech falled him about 1 minute into the first period. The Donkey ran off the mat squealing and crying for his mommy. That was the moment that I realized Nomani was the real deal.
Posted By: Travis Phippen

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 01:37 AM

Melvin Douglas accomplished more than any other wrestler in Kansas followed by Eric Akin.
Posted By: MatRat

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 02:22 AM

Melvin Douglas by far! End of discussion!
Posted By: wrestlingfanatic

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 02:25 AM

My vote is for Erik Akin. h is on of the bes in Kansas if not the world. My brother and cousins have been luckyenough to meet him and have he bet some of their practices when the wrestled for the kids club. I heard that Akin made it to the olympic wreslting team!! Does any one know aything else about that? thats what my brother told me.
Posted By: bulldawg

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:26 AM

Melvin Douglas was and is a good wrestler. There is one better. The one that beat him at grand state, kahyler, from seneca. Kahyler was a four time state champion. His senior year was at 167, and no one touched him. So even though some wrestler go on to reach amazing goals, the better ones choose to hang up the shoes.
Posted By: Dwm

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:27 AM

Joe Johnson wasn't bad. He placed second at Nationals last year and is currently wrestling at Iowa.
Posted By: BigPin22

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:33 AM

Temor Terry was probably not the best, but he has to be up there!!

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:37 AM

If the question is posed who the best wrestler in the state history is I would still say Melvin Douglas. Larry Owings beat Dan Gable and no one would say that Owings is even in the top 10 wrestlers in NCAA history. In retrospect Douglas even if he did loose is still the best to come out of Kansas as he has won more national titles and competed in more Olympics and World Games than any other wrestler from Kansas. Also you might check it out but Kahyler was not a 4X state champion from Kansas maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he is one of the 16 I believe.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:40 AM

If you were just looking at High School accomplishments you would have to go with Zac Roberson. 4 years undefeated, 2x Junior National Champion. Also don't forget Bo Maynes 4 years undefeated without giving up a takedown and 1x Junior national champion.
Posted By: BifDiddy

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:45 AM

I would have to agree that everyone listed is a great wrestler, but mohamad nomani sticks out in my mind as not only the best wrestlers but one of the best all around athelets our state has seen.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:50 AM

What is he doing now?
Posted By: Houston

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 04:10 AM

Benard Witherspoon gets my vote. He was only a 3 time state champ, but he was quick and pinned almost everyone. He was going to the Olympic trials, but he got his wife pregnant and he had to choose. Being the great man he is, he picked his wife and has never looked back. He was from Liberal if you want to look him up.
Posted By: 275n'99

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 02:28 PM

mohammed was a god to wrestling his stalling techniques were second to none. Not to mention he holds the record for reversals at BVN. WHo could ever forget him at regionals his junior year when he qualified and his mom ran on the mat. Or maybe the time when his mom got kicked out of the couliseum. He is the greatest ever, too bad Marquette dropped there program now he has to play rugby there instead of wrestl.
Posted By: Jason A. Ross

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 02:41 PM

What is your deal on picking fun at Mohammid Nomani. He was a good wrestler for BVN. He certainly wasn't the best ever. He never won a state championship and was beaten many times by lots of wrestlers.
Posted By: Ray Higley

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:07 PM

I remember Witherspoon wrestling in the Grand State semis against Tom Alstrom from Oberlin. Possibly the best match I've ever witnessed. Alstrom won and became the Grand State Champion. I was also priviledged to see Kayler and Douglas wrestle... it was at the Sunflower Grand State. Don't leave Jeff Boyle from Norton out of your conversation. He didn't wrestle in college, but as a high school wrestler, and a heavy weight to boot, he was very impressive to watch.
Posted By: kansas kid

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:21 PM

This may sound crazy, I would like to give praise to Justin Dyer. I have watched him many of times through his highschool career. Third as freshmen at a high weight class is pretty good. He only lost to a guy from Garden City who was a 2 timer and currently wrestling at Fort Hays state at 184. Forgot his name? Then 3 peated in the state tournament. I think he signed at OU or ASU. He is going on to do big things. Watch for him at nationnals>
Posted By: wrestlingfan171

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:36 PM

I would have to say that I think that the two best are Melvin Douglas or Hoover. Also Noah Clouse was pretty **** good I dont know about the best but he was good.
Posted By: bvn275

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:47 PM

First of all i would like to to see the ragging on Mohammed stopping. i wrestled with mohammed for three years and he was a good wrestler. I would also like to say that Zach Roberson and Bo Maynes have to be up there at the top. Both were undefeated 4x state champions and Zach is ranked 8th in the nation at iowa state. Bo on the other hand is in tough competition for the top spot at ou but still has an 18-3 record for them at varsity competition. those are the two that stick out in my mind from the past, anda now i would still have to say look at Dyer, he is goign to great things.
Posted By: MillWest

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:48 PM

It is amazing to me how a thread can start with a joke and end up a pretty good discussion. We have alot of great wrestlers in the history of Kansas, and I believe we've been seeing quite a few top notch wrestlers as of late.
I enjoy seeing names of past champions like Douglass and Akin, and putting in to their category our recent guys like Roberson, Dyer,Bunch, Clouse, and Maynes. I am excited to see what Dyer can do in the next 4 years.
Posted By: vikes

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:53 PM

I think Brad Millard of SMS is the best ever. He is my hero.........
Posted By: wrestlingfan171

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 03:53 PM

I didnt see this name as I was reading through the thread but Shaun Bunch a=was an outstandin wrestler I rember how he took it to T-bone last year I am intrested in finding out if he is wrestling in college and how he did this year
Posted By: Mike Juby

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 05:08 PM

Shawn Bunch is wrestling 125 lbs at Edinboro University. His record is 16-4, not bad for a true freshman.
Posted By: joeisfat

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 07:03 PM

bo maynes was by far the best high school wrestler ever. never tooken down ever. unbelievable.
Posted By: Jbwrestler

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 07:49 PM

I agree with a lot of everyone's opinions on this topic, but in my own opinion, a lot of the best wrestlers from Kansas sometimes don't even go on to the collegiate level or at all. One that sticks in my mind and in my own opinion that is the best would have to be Justin Ware from Ark City. 4x State Champion, High School National Champion and Co-Outstanding Wrestler in the tournament along with Kerry Kolat i believe.(Correct me if i'm wrong). That's a big accomplishment if you ask me, so what if it died there, some people get burned out.
Posted By: Ron

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/27/02 09:27 PM

I will go back many years, but the all time best wrestler from Kansas is Myron Roderick. He was a 2x state champ from Winfield and a 3x national champ at Oklahoma State. He also was 4th in the Olympics. After he finished wrestling, he coached for 13 yrs at Ok. State. His teams won 7 national championships and had a 140-10-7 record. He is a member of the Wrestling Hall of Fame.
For more recent wrestlers, Scott Coleman from Manhattan was a 3x state and 1x national champ. Kenny Fischer was a 3x state and an all-american at OU.
Posted By: johndoe

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 03:02 AM

Although not a 4 timer, I think shawn silvis from augusta is up among the best
Posted By: AC_WRESTLER

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 03:42 AM

I would have to agree about justin ware being one of the best he has his senior nationals finals as one of the best matches ever when he one it's on the nhscca web page and he wrestled at The university of Nebraska one year and started and got beat out of nationals but he is a stud.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 04:48 AM

National High School Coaches Association

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHSCA VIDEO’S AND PUBLICATIONS

The NHSCA will market its Championship Video’s from its past National High School Championships as well at its clinics. Copies can be purchased by school purchase orders, credit cards or by check made payable to the NHSCA

NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

1990 FINALS...see All-Americans Bob Ferraro, Earl Walker, Steve Cassidy as high school seniors
1991 FINALS...see NCAA Champion Marcus Mollica, All-Americans Dave Leonardis, Rick Hepp
1992 FINALS...see NCAA Champion Cary Kolat as a HS senior as well as Mike Samples, Justin Ware
1993 FINALS...see NCAA Champions Mitch Clark and Jeff McGuiness
1994 FINALS...see All-Americans Clint Musser, Whitey Chlebove, Shane Valdez
1995 FINALS...see NCAA Champions Teague Moore and Eric Guerrero, All-American Mark Angle
1996 FINALS...see NCAA All-Americans Steve Abas, Mark Munoz and future AA Adam Tirapelle
1997 FINALS...see potential All-Americans Griff Powell, Chris Kelly, Kevin Shippos
1998 FINALS...see Shane Roller, Eric Larkin. Garett Lowney and Justin Ruiz
1999 FINALS...see Joe Malia, Jon Trenge and all of this years outstanding group of wrestlers
2000 FINALS.. see Jesse Jantzen dominate his way to the title
2001 FINALS...see why Blair Academy's Steve Mocco was named the outstanding wrestler
Posted By: Static

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 01:35 PM

I think Dukes needs to get some props in here I am not sayinf he is the nest wrestler in the nation or what ever but he is around the top 10 especially after this year and his showing at the state meet this year,I know he has had some bad moments but who hasn't right? I know he has come along way in his high school career and has great potential in college if he decides to wrestle I heard he is debating on that and football,but I guess we will see in nationals.
Posted By: coach p

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 02:25 PM

Dukes has no business being mentioned under this heading "Best Wrestler In States History." Try to place in nationals before you toot your own horn

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 04:30 PM

Toot your own horn, maby you should think twice about spouting off your mouth, For your information I am not Matt Dukes, All I am doing is putting my input on the whole situation if I want to mention Dukes I can mention Dukes, Thats what the forum right? yeah I believe so, So excuse me for thinking so highly of Dukes, and you don't need to be so negative. Dukes went basically undeafeted this year and has been invited to all the area tournaments and Nationals. And I feel by watching him wrestle and his attitude after the matches that he can't be beat........................So toot your own horn. :rolleyes:
Posted By: coach p

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 04:54 PM

Well Wrestler4life, I stand corrected.....You have convinced me Dukes is the "Best Wrestler In Kansas's History" I was merely stating that he doesnt belong under this heading, but you are right because you can say anything you want in the forum, but why not entitle it "Matt dukes My Hero"

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 05:02 PM

Coach P I understand where you are comming from and I want to appologize for jumping on you like that, Maby I should have put it under another topic I appologize, I am not trying to take anything away from the other guys I was just saying my input..............Sorry and the last reply I made was not ment for you it was for wrestling4Life, But like I said I appologize
Posted By: wrestling4life

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 05:06 PM

Grow up? Calm down? I am calm. And if you read everything I said you would have seen that the list he is on goes way past 10. Why don't you post your own so that we all can see how many people signed on worship Dukes like you do.
Posted By: wrestling4life

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 05:18 PM

Wrestler4life--You don't see anybody putting Vogel or Crisman in there even though everyone knows they would own Dukes. We all know he's a good wrestler but just shut up about it.
Posted By: 321a Wrestler

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 05:22 PM

This sounds really crazy but among all of our recent all americans at Senior Nationals. The one wrestler who sticks out is Lyle Geyer from Leoti. I believe he is Kansas's only OS in the event.Geyerwas a 3x state champion and 4x placer. He was totally dominant his last 3 years of high school losing 1 match. He wrestled in college at Southern Colorado but ended up wrestling for 1 or 2 years
Posted By: Jumbo Sport

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 05:28 PM

Ok, I was going to stay out of this whole Dukes thing, but I can't take it anymore. Wrestler4Life, do you owe Dukes some money or something, is he dating your sister? I don't get it. I don't want to take a thing away from him, because I can honestly say I have never seen him wrestle. I know that he is a good wrestler because he won state and you don't do that by being a joke. I'm not even going to get in to who would win between him, Vogel and Chrissman. I don't care and I know Vogel and Chrissman don't care either. What was Dukes record this year, who did he lose to, what was his high school career record, state finishes, national honors, these are the kinds of things that people look at when they want to talk about best ever in state, not a single great season. You see the others that have posted mention national championships, college honors, all americans, etc, what does Dukes have to back up your recomendation?
Posted By: kurtz

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 06:09 PM

Scott Coleman Manhattan KS
3x state champ
4x state placer
1x national champ(folkstyle)
god knows how many times he was all-american
Posted By: Lyle Geyer

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 06:40 PM

JBwrestler I will correct you on Justin Ware being outstanding wrestler in High School Nationals It was Lyle Geyer a three timer from Leoti Ks at 125# Ware won it at 130# and justin Thaw won 152# title, there were three champions and 11 all americans that year.
Posted By: chewie

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 06:58 PM

I would like to mention Brandon Pfizenmaier's name with the rest of these wrestlers. 4 time placer and 3 time state champ. He's wrestling at the university of nebraska-kearney now.
Posted By: Mike Juby

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 02/28/02 07:17 PM

My top five picks for the best wrestlers in Kansas' history:

1 - Melvin Douglas
2 - Eric Akin
3 - Roy Oeser
4 - Bo Maynes
5 - Zach Roberson
Posted By: JNA

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/01/02 04:36 PM

I have respect for all the opinions about this question, but in my opinion the answer is quite clear. Zach Roberson is the best wrestler the state of Kansas has produced thus far. 4X State Champion and 145-0 high school record. More wins without a single defeat, than anyone in Kansas history. His match with Dusty Spaulding from Emporia is the stuff of legend. He has also represented himself well at Iowa State, and there is still two more years left for him to accomplish his destiny of NCAA champion.
Posted By: Coppermonk

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/01/02 10:47 PM

If you were to ask simply who is the best wrestler in Kansas History, you must also consider Freestyle and Greco accomplishments in addition to High School.

Obviously, Eric Akin, Melvin Douglas, Cory Jones, Zac Roberson and Temoer Terry have to be up atthe top of the list. Some others I might suggest simply because I saw a lot of their matches are Scott Murray of Topeka, Brent Rechtfertig of Wellsville, and Matt Biles from Bonner Springs. Murray was so quick, Rechtfertig was a technician, and Biles was a headlock machine, and I think he was a national champion.

Anyway, those are a few suggestions for the list. Let me know what you think!
Posted By: Cody Schields

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/02/02 01:37 AM

After seeing some of the names listed above, I'd say I'm right in adding these names to the best of Kansas.

Gerrad Speer from Scotty was a 3x state champion and undefeated his Junior and Senior years.

Jeremy Long from Santa Fe Trail was a 4x state champion

Dusty Spaulding from Emporia was a 4x state champion

Travis Stites from McPherson was a 4x state champion

Bill Gabel from St. Francis was a 4x state champion

Austin Devoe from Columbus was a 3x state champion, and 2nd place as a freshmen

Jacob Klein from Kapaun was a 3x state champion

Doug Duell from Goodland was a 4x state champion and a 1x grand state champion, the first 4x state champion in Kansas history, and finished his career with a 98-1 record. His one loss was from when he wrestled up a weight class for one night. He is my vote for best in the history of Kansas.
Posted By: wrestlingfan2580

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/02/02 04:12 AM

i just wanted to respond to someone mentioning matt dukes as one of the states best wrestlers in history... i'm good friends w/ dukes and i know he would never put himself in this catergory... the guys you have been mentioning are the people he looks up to in wrestling.. but i also hate the fact "wrestler4life" is throwing matt's name out there and basically making a mockery of him... i know that matt isn't a 4x state champ, but he worked very hard to get his gold medal and doesn't deserved to be put down for it, considering he's not the one getting on here saying these things... just because you disagree w/ "wrestler4life" on this one don't talk like duke's is a pud wrestler, he may not be the best in the history of kansas but he worked hard to get his medal and shouldn't be brought down for it
Posted By: seth

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/02/02 03:42 PM

If we are talking about after high school career than it is definately Eric Akin. But if we are just talking about a High School career than my vote goes to Bo Maynes. :p
Posted By: Takedown

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/02/02 11:52 PM

I think the majority of everyone agreed Dukes is a good wrestler. And like you also agree he shouldn't be in this topic, not to dog him or anything.
Posted By: wrestler_1

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/03/02 06:18 PM

Im suprised i havent seen Jeff Boyle name yet. although he was a 3 time state champ he had one of the most impressive season ever. he pinned everyone in the first period. even really good wrestlers couldnt take him to the second period. he wrestled that kid from penn. that was suppoused to be the best in the nation and he beat him 9-3. although boyle didnt wrestle in college he still has to be considered one of kansas best
Posted By: Mike Holliday

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/03/02 06:30 PM

He's not the best, but definitely up there...E.K Franks from Wellington. I believe he was a 3 timer who absolutely tore everyone up.
Posted By: holla

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/04/02 12:26 AM

Beau Tillman was 103-3 in highschool. he was a 3-timer and lost his junior year in a lucky throw. I think he should get props. Even though his college career didnt turn out like he wanted i still think he is one of the best.
Posted By: 321a Wrestler

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/04/02 03:53 PM

Two other names that need great consideration are Joe Dreher and Chris Ngo. Dreher was a 2x state champion and once a runner-up he competed only 3 years of wrestling and was an all-american at fhsu. Ngo had only one loss through high school. That was as a freshman to Phippen from Sft.
Posted By: havid deidrick

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/05/02 01:58 PM

i know a kid from prairie view who went 36-1 his junior year, second at state, and was undefeated this year until he got rolled at state. He beat bancroft, lost to noah clouse by two points, took tony valencia to overtime. I think he would've won state this year had he not gotten rolled and thrown out. He is the best wrestler i've ever seen. Luke page is his name.
Posted By: Coachjt

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/05/02 04:14 PM

Don't watch a lot of wrestling do you?

He is good, but he wasn't even the best wrestler at the Prarie Veiw Tournament this year.

Stewart Bogart was.
Posted By: havid deidrick

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/08/02 12:25 PM

for some reason, I think that luke would have beaten bogart, but i could be wrong.
Posted By: GM

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/08/02 03:22 PM

One name I haven't seen mentioned that belongs in this company for his accomplishments in high school is David Ray. He may not have been the best but could be considered one of the best. I think he doubled (won freestyle and greco) at Junior Nationals 2 years in a row along with at least a couple of state championships. I may have my facts wrong but I think this is correct.
Posted By: Westfahl

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/09/02 03:04 AM

The best wrestler is a fun debate. The best I ever saw in this state was Stan Falkender from St. Francis followed by Justin Ware of Ark City and Doug Duel (not in any order except for Stan). Douglas did his best wrestling in college and peaked late in life. A lot of people could have done very well in college but there was not the opportunity there is now. John Lightner of Garden City was awfully good as well as Roberson and Mayne of late. There are many more that most of you havent heard of that labored in obscurity in Northwest Kansas in the sixties and seventies. These are the best I have seen in my thirty five years in the game.
Posted By: Les Brown

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/09/02 10:39 AM

I doubt we will ever reach a consensus on the 25 best wrestlers in the history of Kansas high school wrestling, let alone the best. Many of the names already listed would be included on my top 25 list. But I feel some other deserving candidates have been overlooked, so I'll throw them out in no particular order.

Wayne Shepard (Hoxie) Wayne was the first 3x state champ in Hoxie history during the late 1950s. His son Lance was a 2x champ.

the late Steve Pope (Hoxie). Steve was a 3x state champ in the early 1970's and gave the aforementioned 4x champ Doug Duell his only loss in high school. Steve was a pure talent who worked harder at drinking beer than wrestling. His potential was unlimited, but he never saw the need to train.

Current Hoxie head coach and Goodland grad Kirk Baker. Kirk was a 2x champ, 2x runner-up, grand state champ and grand state runner-up. And I can tell you from first hand practice room experience that he was just as good 12 years later when he beat the tar out of me on a daily basis.

Steve Lampe was a 3x state champ at Colby HS before earning All-American honors at Iowa State. He also placed 2nd at the US world team trials on two occassions and just missed a spot on the US olympic team - as he retired and then witnessed an invidual he beat earlier in the year make the olympic freestyle team.

Troy Sporer of Oakley was a 3x state champ and barely missed a fourth state title.

Matt Treaster of Beloit was a 4x state champ.

Mark Hewitt of Beloit was a 3x state champ.

Todd Drake of Andover lost his very first high school match and did not lose again en route to winning four state titles. I believe he also earned All-American honors in college - at Central Oklahoma??.

Todd Layton was a 4x state champ for Independence and went on to wrestle for Notre Dame. If memory serves me correctly he was a NCAA DI All-American.

Dave Canfield was a three time state champ for Concordia and he also placed in the top three as a junior.

Wes Harding (SE Saline)was a 3x state champ and 1x runner-up.

Billy Gable was a 4x state champ and his brother, Kelly, was a 3x state champ and 1x runner-up. Kelly also placed 2nd at HS nationals.

I feel any of these names - along with many others that have not yet been mentioned - could contend with the many fine candidates already mentioned for a spot on Kansas' "All-Time Team".
Posted By: Prant Garker

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/09/02 10:48 PM

Hey, who from Kansas has won a folkstyle national championship in high school wrestling?

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/10/02 02:10 AM

Depends on what you call a folkstyle national championship. Several guys have won national championships. Rodrick, Douglas and Merhinger. Pete Merhinger of Kinsley was in fact the first Olympic Champion in U.S.A. history in the mid twenties. He is in the wrestling hall of fame. Several high schoolers have won the national championship of folkstyle held at the end of each season. Ware won one as did Coleman of Manhatten who was awfully good. Lighter of Garden City Juco and Falkender of Colby Juco were national champions in junior college and there were several more of those who's names escape me right now (age). Been a lot of them though.
Posted By: Les Brown

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/10/02 10:53 AM

I believe Stan Faulkender placed 3rd at juco nationals for Colby CC. The same information from the Colby CC athletic director shows Rory Cahoj (I believe he was from St. Francis) in 1980 as being the first NJCAA national champ for Colby CC.
Posted By: BCoffman

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/13/02 03:39 PM

I believe Todd Drake was 128-1-1 in high school. I'm not sure when the tie occured, but his only loss was to Billy Ross (Derby coach) from Ark City at the Newton Tour. 4x state champ and I believe it was his Sr. season at UCO when he was a national champion.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/14/02 02:49 AM

Les;
Yep you were right about Falkender and Cahoi (I never spell that right) I should have remembered him he beat one of my wrestlers half to death his senior year. What a great leg wrestler he was. Best Turker I have ever seen in this state. He may have placed pretty high at U of Nebraska Omaha too, I don't remember that. He had a teammate at Sainty named Kelly Ginger that was really smooth too. A person could start in on all the great ones at St. Francis and not ever get done with them. I got hammered by some of them. Walters comes to mind. All those Cooks and Kellers and Bandels. There is a long and illustrious list of those critters. That was a pretty powerful time in Kansas Wrestling. It grieves me sometimes that they are forgotten about. Bob Brown of Oberlin and I coached together for many years. He and his Brother Bill were tough too. Bob just got inducted into the coaches hall of fame.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/14/02 03:33 AM

Les;
A funny story about Rory. I was sitting by Stan at the state meet in Beloit one year and I said that Cahoji (that spelling again) reminded me of someone. Stan laughed and said "he ought to, I wrestled him in his backyard all his life". It dawned on me then who it was that he reminded me of.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/19/03 03:43 AM

My nominations would go to Eric Akin, Dave Canfield from Concordia, Lance Wilson from Blue Valley & Eddie Seaton from Bonner Springs.
Posted By: Bulldog Dad

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/19/03 07:59 AM

I wondered if anybody would mention Todd Layton. Didn't want to bring him up myself for fear of being branded biased..

Probably not the best ever, but needs to be on the list somwhere. 4 timers are rare, and D-1 all-american nothing to sneeze at.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/19/03 01:04 PM

Tod Layton definitely is on my top five list. Two great wrestlers I can think of are Lyle Geyer,Leoti, who won a few state championships and pinned his way through High School Nationals and I believe earned D2 all american honors.. Bobby Lashley,Juncion City, who was a state champ,high school All American, Three time NAIA National Champion, and is currently ranked in the top five in the United States at 211 pounds and also recently advanced further in the Kiev Grand Prix than Cael Sanderson.. Look out for this great Kansas Wrestler!!!!!
Posted By: Eagle112

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/20/03 12:26 AM

what do you think about Brent Refetig from wellsville he is 3x state champ and the year he wasnt he was runner up and lost 1-0
Posted By: Nigel Isom

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/20/03 03:13 AM

I'll have to agree with Mike Juby in his response. I htink his is the most acurate out of everyone considering the topic was the best wrestler in the states history. The topic wasn't who was a hard worker - concerning matt dukes, or anything else like that. Persoanlly I think that it would be inaccurate to nominate anyone who wasn't a four time state champion becuase obviously you lost during your career at some point. Overall I'd give it to either Bo Maynes or Zach Roberson basically becuase they were never beaten. I will gove props to a few more just becuase of thier accomplishment. Scott Coleman from Manhattan was awsome, so was Jeff Boyle from Norton. Ware from Ark City, Maybe even Phizenmaier from Clay Center.
Posted By: mike fairleigh

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/20/03 03:20 AM

My vote goes to Myron Roderick of Winfield. He not only was a national champ, Coached a bunch of national champs at Okie state, created the Oklahoma State wrestling camps that john smith runs today,but was the first president of the u.s wrestling federation, which became usa wrestling. he helped found the cadet system that we know today, that produced Melvin Douglas and all his kind that came through the usawrestling system. Most of the people mentioned here were at least in part the product of usa wrestling. USA wrestling is at least in a large part the product of Myron Roderick and us federatiion.
Posted By: JustAFan

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/20/03 04:59 AM

It is funny how Temore (sp) Terry's name shows on all the threads about greatest wrestlers. Did you forget that he bumped up a weight class his senior year to avoid Brent Doonan of Kapaun????? Temore was good but not like you make him out to be.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/20/03 12:57 PM

Temore was every bit as good as they and I say he was. He swept Cadets, and was simply a badass. He bumped up to avoid Brent Doonan? Are you kidding?

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/20/03 08:50 PM

I'm not old enough to know the best wrestler in the history of Kansas, but I think one of the best wrestlers out there right now, and that might make the new history would be Tanner Gardner. You gotta lov'em

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/20/03 11:27 PM

What about Brett Munson from Ark City? He may not be the best but he's pretty good.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/21/03 12:25 AM

I believe Temor Terry had a broken leg and missed most of his senior year, but came back just in time to win state. I really doubt that he was dodging anybody!!!
Posted By: JustAFan

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/21/03 05:32 AM

BigPin and Matt,

Did you ask him?? I can personlly say I did. I talked to him the weekend after the state tourney in a hotel room at the Holiday Inn in Topeka Kansas after watching McPherson win state in basketball. Ohh by the way, there was alot more than I that was there and they were as shocked as you. I am not here to fabricate stories.
Posted By: wrestlingchic4u

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/21/03 05:48 AM

what about shawn silvis from augusta....hes good....and jeremy long from santa fe trail

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/21/03 09:35 AM

Zach Roberson went 154-0. That says it all right there.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/23/03 03:02 PM

Wes Walker from Ulysses was as dominant as anyone his senior year. Never taken down by an opponent, Undefeated State Champ, High school All-American his senior year.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/23/03 08:14 PM

I WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH ROBERSON, MAYNES, AND WARE. WARE WAS ALSO UNDEFEATED IN THE STATE OF KANSAS.
Posted By: Just4Fun

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/24/03 10:01 PM

Devin Bahm 4x champion Ark City
Todd Drake 4x champion Andover
DivII Champion
Temor Terry 3x Champion McPherson
Travis Stites 4x Champion McPherson
Jeremy Long 4x Champion Santa Fe Trail
Dustin May 4x Champion Derby
Shawn Silvis 2x champion 4x placer
2x DivII Champion
Jeff Boyle 3x Champion Norton
Thaw Brothers Newton High school National Champion
Beau Vest 3x Champion
Jesse West 2x Champion 2x Runner-up Once in Iowa
Earl Jones 3x Champion
Doug Hoover 4x Champion
Here is some more food for thought based only on high school accomplishments???
Posted By: Aaron Sweazy

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/27/03 01:28 AM

Scott Urban from Atwood was a former high school national champion back in the early 90's...and served as a an asst.coach at Chapman,ks for a while....there are a lot of guys you could make a case for..."4 timers...with exception on Derby's" for example!

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/29/03 02:55 AM

ANY of these guys go 3x NCAA champ? First inductee into the NATIONAL wrestling hall of fame?
Coach 7 national Championships? Been presidet of National Hall of Fame? MYRON RODERICK!!!!

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/30/03 01:42 PM

Jake Durham, coaching legend from Norton, told me that the BEST high school wrestler he had seen during his coaching years was Stan Faulkender from St. Francis.

I think Henry Crosby from Garden City (the early, early 70's) has to be considered as one of the best high school wrestlers ever. He was an undefeated state champ in '71 and won the early version of the Senior National Tournament (it was called like "The Coache's Choice Tournament" or soemthing silly like that). He was recruited by Iowa and they sent him to a Juco in Iowa to work on grades and he tore up the comp there, but he got homesick and came back to GC where he played football at the local Juco, got a girl friend, started a family quit school, and is still at GC as far as I know.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/30/03 10:49 PM

Well if I had gotten one takedown he wouldnt have been lol. I wrestled Henry twice that year and he was darned tough and the strongest kid I have ever been on a mat with. He had incredible quickness and balance and was a great guy, I just wish I could have gotten that one takedown lol. Oh well, he was a good one though and I agree with Jake on Falkender big time.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/31/03 01:33 AM

EVERYBODY HAD GOOD PICKS BUT YOU ALL ARE FORGETTING ABOUT WES HARDING. 1 LOSS IN HIGH SCHOOL THAT SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN AND A 2 TIME ALL AMERICAN FOR FORT HAYS.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/13/05 03:03 PM

Bump!
Posted By: 24/7

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/13/05 03:17 PM

1. Melvin Douglas
2. Eric Akin
3. Zach Roberson

Top 3 HS, College, Nationally, Internationally!

24/7
Posted By: Shelstin

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/13/05 06:30 PM

Good questions...good wrestlers...here's my take. Understandably, the younger guys that are posting believe the guys that they have seen are the best. Probably not...history has not had enough time to properly evaluate them. Also, there was a point made earlier that a great high school career may not translate into a great college career, and there have been a few that may not have been that impressive until they matured a bit in college. Kansas has been very competitive at the High School national tournament. Any wrestler that placed there has to be considered as well representative of our state.

In what may have been the toughest weight class in any regional ever, in 1996 or 97 a 4A west regional had both Wes Walker of Ulysses and Alex Haines of Colby, both of which placed at High School Nationals at 215. Walker went on to be a NAIA champion at Missouri Valley. Walker gets my vote as most dominant big man in recent memory, followed closely by Boyle of Norton. Missing from the list would be Martin Segovia of Garden City, now coach of the Buffaloes, Steve Mesa of Garden City, and Britt Madison of Ulysses. The list goes on.
Posted By: acbulldog

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/24/05 04:45 PM

Temore used to get worked by ware all the time's they wrestled and he's the one that stopped him from being a four timer and don't forget bo maynes beat wares kid state record by one year because he wrestled one more year and ware was a senior national champ started for nebraska as a true freshman made it to nationals then he got beat out and quit so you never know how good he could of been I would have to say that he was better than doug hoover bradley of west who only won it once I believe, roberson maynes and others have the right to be on the list but some of these guys you guys are saying are just plain crazy.
Posted By: LancerM

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/24/05 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acbulldog:
Temore used to get worked by ware all the time's they wrestled and he's the one that stopped him from being a four timer and don't forget bo maynes beat wares kid state record by one year because he wrestled one more year and ware was a senior national champ started for nebraska as a true freshman made it to nationals then he got beat out and quit so you never know how good he could of been I would have to say that he was better than doug hoover bradley of west who only won it once I believe, roberson maynes and others have the right to be on the list but some of these guys you guys are saying are just plain crazy.
And every English teacher in Ark City lowers their head in shame...
Posted By: Rubberband Man

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/27/05 07:02 AM

The best wrestler in the history of Kansas is Kenny Taylor Jr from Wichita West.
Posted By: 24/7

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/27/05 01:28 PM

Didn't Melvin Douglas wrestle in the Olympics? I know he was a World Champ, 2x NCAA champ, 3x state HS champ......I don't know anyone that matches the credetials of MELVIN DOUGLAS!!!! Only other to come close is Eric Akin. Maybe Roberson as he gets older and gets world level experience.

24/7
Posted By: XGHSWC

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 09/27/05 03:50 PM

Once again, Pete Mehringer of Kinsley is #1 with Olympic Gold. Myron Roderick of Winfield should be #2. He was 4th in the Olympics under the old bracketing system with only one loss, a 1 point loss to Gold medalist Sashahara of Japan. Roderick was a 3x D1 Champ. Roderick could have easily wrestled in more Olympics and World games but was offered the OSU job and became the youngest coach in history male or female in any sport to win a D1 title as a head coach. Douglas is #3 with his World Title. Akin a world team member is #4. Yes that is my opinion, but it is based on fact.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/03/05 12:19 AM

I pretty much agree with WSEWC, except that I would reverse the #1 and #2 positions, as Mehringer's accomplishment is not accompanied by the extreme list of later accomplishments. It is very easy to become biased by discounting the abilities of those who are long gone, but I believe that it is a mistake to rate wrestlers such as Mr. Roberson, Akin, or Douglas above some of the proven past masters of the sport just because you never saw them wrestle or because of what they were able to accomplish at World or US levels. The fact is that Mr. Roderick is largely responsible for the creation of the US Wrestling Federation, and as its first coach, delivered it to the level that it is today. That later gave way to the USA wrestling venue that we have today, but before Mr. Roderick, an American was bucking a stacked deck in the international scene, Mr. Mehringer being a notable exception. One thing I am curious about-- does anyone have a link to the Olympic records to see how many opponents were entered in Mr. Mehringer's bracket? jsut curious.
Posted By: rexpadre

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/03/05 05:47 PM

I agree with WSEWC's list I am suprised it took so long to get Mehringer's name listed. one question
Where is Melvin Douglas from?
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/03/05 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rexpadre:
Where is Melvin Douglas from?
Topeka Highland Park High School.

Douglas won Class 6A KSHSAA State Championships in 1979, 1980, and 1981 at 167 lbs.!
Posted By: rexpadre

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/07/05 05:30 PM

thanks
Posted By: JFinley

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/14/05 12:51 PM

All these picks are good but Jason Blanding has got to be on the list as well, he wrestled at Chanute and Paola
Posted By: winterwrestler

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/15/05 04:21 AM

Zach had a highschool record of 153-0 not 145-0
he is also a very nice guy and very humble and gets my vote
Posted By: gutwrench1

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/18/05 07:27 PM

An interesting note is that among the Mr. Juby's top 5 picks

1 - Melvin Douglas
2 - Eric Akin
3 - Roy Oeser
4 - Bo Maynes
5 - Zach Roberson

only OESER has been selected to the Kansas Wrestling Coaches Hall of Fame! It looks like they pick an athlete/coach and official annually. That's an incredible oversight!
Posted By: Curtis Chenoweth

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 10/19/05 03:12 AM

How many of those guys are coaching in Kansas right now though and not doing something else in wrestling?
Posted By: cccc

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/08/05 04:02 AM

What about Chris Ngo,

He lost his only (last) match of High School in the State Finals

Bo Maynes
Zach Roberson
Eric Akin
Tanner Gardner
Melvin Douglas
Doug Hoover
Posted By: indywrestler35

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/08/05 04:16 PM

todd layton anyone?
Posted By: TEAM USA JUDO

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/08/05 09:53 PM

SHAWN BUNCH Lavenworth KS. Stop all that hatten on the black wrestlers in kansas.
Posted By: Bracket-man

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/08/05 10:24 PM

Ron/Team USA Judo: Believe you are way out of line with your comments relating to black wrestlers. I am not an expert on all of the individuals mentioned in this 8-page thread, but am pretty sure that Melvin Douglas, Shawn Bunch, Kenny Taylor Jr. and Bobby Lashley (all previously mentioned) are former Kansas black wrestlers. This has been a wonderful topic and am thinking that "hatten on the black wrestlers" is very inaccurate and inappropriate. You are disrespecting the great wrestlers and their accomplishments by your comments.
Posted By: acbulldog

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/08/05 10:41 PM

judo's for p's.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/09/05 05:27 AM

OK maybe that was inappropriate but you are miss understing on what i am saying man. I have wrestled all my live and what i am sayingppl are not giving them any cradit like the do others. I head some ppl tell me thet a kid isn't that good but, he has THREE STATE TITLES under his belt. All i am saying is can we get credit where credit is do also. So i am sorry for wording it that way but, i was stating facts. And to the other person says that judo is for p,s dont knock it intill u try it becacue it is the real deal.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/09/05 02:28 PM

The black thing was kind of ridiculous as everyone has mentioned Melvin Douglas. I beleive that people are getting credit because of accomplishments and not color. Bunch although good is not at the level of Mehringer, Roderick, Douglas or Akin who are all world class having been on world teams which I believe should determine "greatness". Everyone else mentioned does not compare unless you are going on high school accomplishments. Roberson is close behind as a DI champ. Bunch was second in the DI but so was Johnston and Murray. There have been several DI all-americans which I beieve should come next.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/09/05 07:13 PM

Are you forreal? BUNCH should have been a three time all american. But. you can say he isn't that good. If you look at the papers a the D1 National Championship last year. Bunch and LEE split wins with each other. So in my oppion that them 2 men where dead even with each other. And yes LEE is a 2x D1 champion and a 4x ALL AMERICAN also. I have been and left that black thing along. I said what i had to say, and i said i was sorry. But i see you ppl like to run stuff in to the ground. I told you i am going to leave that part where it is at. If ppl like you and some other ppl cant ecept me saying sorry then i feel bad for yea.

But i can tell you this, Bunch the perfeck storm will come throw soon and every body that don't thnk so i don't know what to tell ya. Last year Bunch record 40-2 all to Lee one before NCAA championships and one at it.

RON HAWTHORNE
I said that i was sorry but, maybe the way you ppl are acting. I shouldn't feel bad at for saying what i said. Yea i regret saying that but maybe i shouldn't because it might be a chance that i am right look at your history and see who had it a lot harder.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/09/05 08:08 PM

"He aint all there, Clark?"

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/09/05 08:41 PM

Heck no I am not saying that Bunch aint a bad little S.O.B. because he is. I am saying that when he makes a world team, he can be considered as one of the "Greatest wrestlers in Kansas History".

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/09/05 10:41 PM

Yea i see what u are saying wsewc thanks for the understaind of that realy thanks. And bigpinn22 you say i dont have it all. I must have some thing if i was my school senior class speaker my senior year in high school. Just because i have an oppion and i voice it ya ppl are are talking down on me but whateva makes ya happy.

RON HAWTHORNE
Posted By: number two

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/10/05 07:27 PM

Wow what a list of great wrestlers nice trip down memory lane. but the truth be myron rodrick by far out shines each and everyone.not only by what he did for our great sport but the wrestler he was as well.i had the plesure of going to rodricks camps in 1979 1980.the cost was 300.00 bucks to attend that dosnt sound like much now but back then it was alot.but with that i got the chance to wrestle the likes of kenny monday as well as other great top notch wrestlers in the world.now back to the 300 bucks rodrick told everyone you take me down the camp is free and that meant everyone 350lbs fatties takin on this 45 year old 170lbs old guy. he never lost ever!!! he was that good. best wrestler on his feet iv ever seen and on the mat well lets just hope you injoyed the taste. great thred

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/12/05 06:32 PM

ditto

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/12/05 10:20 PM

I also experienced the camp, in 1970, the part i liked was when he would disjoint his knee to show you how crippled he was before kicking your butt.... Quite a guy.
Posted By: Wick123

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 12/14/05 05:29 PM

Chris Ngo or Tristen Dechazer
Posted By: L.Geyer

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/29/17 06:22 PM

Somehow this popped up when I logged in today. It looks like the last post was December of 2005. It would be interesting to see what people's thoughts are on this topic, and to see if and what new names pop-up.
Posted By: usawks1

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/29/17 08:14 PM

... and I just re-read the entire thread!! A Blast from the Past!!
Posted By: Cokeley

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/30/17 01:56 AM

Best HS wrestler in KSHSAA history - Roy Oeser NO ARGUMENT for this spot maybe for #2.

Best Career wrestler in the modern era - Melvin Douglas NO ARGUMENT here either. Eric Akin a super close 2nd.
Posted By: Coach Malay

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/30/17 07:23 PM

Jeff Boyle was a monster. His stats his senior year if im not mistaken were 32 takedowns/32 falls. No points scored against. Greg Mann is this correct? I know his finals match his senior year was 22 seconds and it was against Cody Parks who was a college AA for FHSU. Boyle also Won Dapper Dan and Sr. Nationals.
Posted By: Railers91

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/30/17 10:43 PM

Zach Roberson undefeated 4x hs state champ fargo freestyle national champ 3x college all american iowa state 7th 4th 1st and he was pretty high on olympic ladder. I'll put him up against anyone below melvin douglass overall but no one else.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/30/17 10:55 PM

Eddie Borror Ark City class of 84 was the most dominant high school wrestler i ever saw.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/30/17 10:58 PM

Justin Ware Ark City class of 92 the most dominant high school wrestler in my era. 4x state champ never lost in kansas did pretty well in brief time at The University of Nebraska.
Posted By: GregMann

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/31/17 01:18 AM

Boyle had one match that went past the first period that year. It ended early in the second when his opponent was DQ'ed for stalling. Should have been DQ'ed in the first. smile

I beleive it is correct that Jeff was not scored on his senior year.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/31/17 07:03 AM

Boyle was awesome but he wasnt these guys. He was heavier and these guys did have success in college. Jeff probably could have been a d1 national champ but zach was a d1 national champ.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/31/17 07:08 AM

I'll give it a break for awhile but ill also throw in temor terry Mcpherson high a great talent. 3x kansas state champ only lost to justin ware. 3X college all american at U of Nebraska 4th 3rd 6th hurt as a senior in semis.
Posted By: Kale Mann

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 03/31/17 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: GregMann
Boyle had one match that went past the first period that year. It ended early in the second when his opponent was DQ'ed for stalling. Should have been DQ'ed in the first. smile

I beleive it is correct that Jeff was not scored on his senior year.

Jeff did get scored on his senior year a few times. The 1st was a penalty for covering his opponents mouth while he was pinning him. After that he cut a few kids to take them down. No one "earned" a point on him though.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/01/17 01:14 AM

ah, yes. You remember better, you young whipper-snapper.
Posted By: djackson

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/02/17 01:48 PM

Lucas Baker has my vote!!!
Posted By: Crossface King

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/02/17 07:27 PM

Doug Duell, 4x state Champion & 1975 Grand State Champion, is a man who enjoyed a very successful high school career.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/02/17 08:59 PM

Matt Treaster Beloit 4x state champ 1981-84 and also NCAA div. 1 all american at Naval academy 5th in 1987. One of the best and Beloit also won 4 team titles in dominant fashion during his time there one of the best runs ever.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/03/17 02:08 AM

Was Boyle a 5xer? I will give you that he had the most dominating, apparently, season of all time. That isn't a HS career...

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/03/17 02:48 PM

I went back and looked at the first post on the thread. It doesn't say best career or best season it simply says best wrestler. There have been many wrestlers that have had stellar careers, but not considered one of the best. There have also been some that had 8-10 losses in HS and can be considered one ofthe best. Boyle was very dominant from his sophomore year on, at the upper weights. Justin Ware was a beast and I had the opportunity to watch him compete at the same time as my brother. I think my brother Lyle Geyer's name can be thrown in the mix as well. HS record of 123-9 (before dual tournaments) 7 of those losses his freshman year. I don't believe he was taken down after his sophomore year. And won SR Nationals (when most if not all the top seniors) went to the same national tournament. He was co-OW of that national tournament.

Keep the names coming it is fun seeing some of these wrestlers being brought back into the wrestling conversations.
Posted By: bockman

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/04/17 12:41 AM

who was tyler caldwell. what weight was he as a freshman. how good was he at the college level.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/04/17 01:11 AM

Topic is "Best Wrestler in KS History" not "Which Kansas Wrestler had the best career in Kansas History." This leaves it open to each individual to determine his criterion. About 99% of the people listed thus far are legitimate considerations.

Jeff Boyle was a 3x and never wrestled as a small guy: 160-185-215-285 in his high school years. He was dominating his Senior year, not only in Kansas but was also successful nationally and received National regogntion. . He is worthy of being considered as the best wrestler in Kansas History.

We are not going to actually determine who is that wrestler.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/04/17 04:04 AM

Tyler Caldwell 4x champ Goddard 2006-2009. 2x all american for Oklahoma Sooners 5th in 2010 and 2nd to olympic champion Jordan Burroughs in 2011. He transferred to Oklahoma State and was 3rd in 2013 and 2nd in 2014. He started high school career at 112 and ended as 160 pound champ as a senior.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/04/17 03:38 PM

well i guess we have to add every kids state championship from the age 4 if you want to see who the best wrestler in kansas history. has anyone ever won state from the age 4 all the way through to his senior year. guess that would be the best wrestler in kansas history.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/04/17 08:51 PM

Tyler Caldwell. 4x Kansas high school state champ. Lost to Andrew Howe in the semis his freshman year in college. Lost to Jordan Burroughs in the finals his sophmore year. Lost to Kyle Dake in the semis his junior year. Lost to David Taylor in the finals his senior year. Im thinking that would probably make him a 4x AA but not 100% sure. Im trying to think of any other wrestler from Kansas has wrestled that caliber with the same results. You probably cant point to one person and say they were the best wrestler ever in Kansas. You might be able to point out a guy and say that person was the best at his weight in kansas history.
Posted By: nate

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/05/17 12:26 PM

Tristan Deshazer and Reece Wright-Conklin both come to my mind in the conversation. Tristan a multiple kids state champion and High school champion, wrestled at Northern Illinois. Reece multiple kids state champion and High school champion, wrestled at Newman University. Reece beat current D1 All-Americans Reece had his college career cut short by a motorcycle accident.

Both Tristan and Reece should at or near the top of any list.

Sorry, if I have any misspellings
Posted By: AF Wrestling

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 03:54 AM

Deshazer won Kids State 9 times I believe. RWC won kids 7 times and won 6A three times. The big question is how do we define this? Are we talking about the most dominate Kansas wrestler while he was here in school or the most dominate Kansas wrestler after he left or both?? Certainly names like Roberson and Caldwell come to mind because what they did from age 5-25 and maybe beyond. But if we are just talking about dominance within the state from youth wrestling through JH and high school, it opens up the discussion. Great thread to open a discussion.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 09:44 AM

1974 1 (3A) Oeser, Roy Kapaun Mount Carmel 155
1975 1 (3A) Oeser, Roy Kapaun Mount Carmel 155
1976 1 (3A) Oeser, Roy Kapaun Mount Carmel 167
1976 1 (All) Oeser, Roy Kapaun Mount Carmel 167
1977 1 (3A) Oeser, Roy Kapaun Mount Carmel 167

Roy wrestled at a weight near the middle of the bell curve his four years and had just one loss at a state tournament to Bill Boyle at the 1975 Grand State tournament (Bill was a 167 senior and Roy a soph). I wouldn't put a high school HWT in the argument ever. Thats just not really wrestling. Sorry Norton dudes. Roy was coached by a D1 National Champ his entire hs wrestling career and was on one of, if not, the most dominating HS teams in KS HS wrestling history. They wrestled a tough schedule and dominated their KS opponents. I argue this is THE BEST high school career by a Kansas wrestler, ever.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 01:16 PM

correct me if im wrong on this. I think Todd Layton from Independence was a 4 timer with 1 loss. I think that loss was from an illegal slam. Nothing against the older generation but the competition and training back then wasnt what it is today. I dont recall the kids wrestling club even during my time of wrestling as intense as it is today. I dont think they traveled the country like the kids in todays age. So someone that had a good record back in the day may not be as good as a kid that has several losses in todays age due to the out of state tournaments of today. Im taking nothing away from Roy as i have heard from many people he was a stud. Im not sure they wrestled tournaments like the Stampede, Allen texas, Garden city in those days. I will still put Tyler Caldwell and maybe Clay Lautt against many, many others from my day of wrestling and earlier.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 01:28 PM

We don't have Grand State today so that works against who is the most dominant in the state today. KMC went to Perry OK which was super tough back in that time. Yes, on Todd Layton. Went to Notre Dame and I believe was their last captain before they dropped wrestling. Clay got 6th at state his FR year at 138.

Todd was dominant but started out at a "boy's weight" and I know Independence didn't wrestle a super tough schedule, neither did BVNW or Salina Central...

1984 1 (5A) Layton, Todd Independence 119
1985 1 (5A) Layton, Todd Independence 132
1986 1 (5A) Layton, Todd Independence 138
1987 1 (5A) Layton, Todd Independence 145

Roy was at a man's weight all four years. I am not backing down! smile

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 02:42 PM

Im going to throw 2 more names out there. Not sure what weight they started at but Romero Cotton was a 4 timer from Hutch. Boaz Beard was a 4 timer with Tyler Caldwell. Not sure what his weight was his freshman year either.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 03:34 PM

I am going to throw another name out there as well. Preston Weigel. Multi time kids champion. 3 time 5A Champion 4 time finalist, all in the middle to upper weights. Division 1 all American this year at OK State and has 2 more years eligibility.
Posted By: Kit Harris

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 03:50 PM

Put Bo Maynes on the list...

Never taken down in HS, 130-0 record, 4x 5A champ.

Fargo champion & 5x AA.

Wrestled for Coach Bob Warkentine of Salina South.
Posted By: klein

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 04:05 PM

Best All Time:

Melvin Douglas (nobody else comes close)

6x world team member / 4x World medal winner 1,2,3,3 / 2x Olympian / 2x D1 Champ 4x AA OU / 3x KS High School State Champion

Best in high school:

Zach Roberson (backed it up at the next level)

Undefeated 4x KS Champ 153-0 109 pins / Fargo Junior Freestyle Champ OW / #1 recruit @ 125lbs / 1st team Asics AA

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 04:42 PM

Kendrick Maple won a national championship at 141 for OU and Recorded a 154-9 overall record competing at Wichita Heights High School under head coach Mike Church ... Was a four-year letterman ... Was a two-time Kansas state champion ... Was Co-Wrestler of the Year ... Was a Brute national champion.
Posted By: M.Church_AD

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 06:34 PM

THOUGHTS ON Kendric Maple: Add to that Resume - 3rd at NHSCA Virginia Beach Nationals, 4 X College NCAA Div 1 Qualifier, 3 X All-American, 1 X National Champion, Univiversity Freesyle National Champ, U.S. Open Senior Level Runner Up, 4th at World Team Trials and all around good dude. By all means on of the greats...(Heck..I named my first born after him) but........

I would have to agree with Klein.
#1 Melvin Douglass
#2 Zac Roberson/Kendric Maple smile
**If we are talking about full body of work until career completion.

Have a great day smile

P.S. And some careers are not over. Daniel Deshazer and Chase Nelson still seeking greatness smile

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 07:04 PM

If we are going to talk dominant seasons I am going to throw Taylor Moeder's senior year into the mix.

2010/11
Fargo Jr National Champ GR
Fargo Jr All American 4th FS
49-0 State Champ for St. James Academy
NHSCA Runner Up

He lost one match in his last two years (bs dq call on collar tie) and he did that wrestling a very tough schedule with lots of out of state competition.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/06/17 08:51 PM

There are a lot of great names on this list and I enjoy reading about all of their success in this great sport. I hope we continue to see our wrestlers shine at the state and national level.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/07/17 04:43 AM

Many great names thrown out but i've already said this and agree with klein melvin douglass #1 in a landslide and zach roberson #2. Also a huge kendric maple fan he is high on my list. Eric Akin a close 3rd only a tb ot loss to sammy henson 2x national champ and olympic silver medalist kept eric from a national championship. He was a 4x all american and i think he and zach are close. This is a fun almost impossible debate.

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/07/17 04:58 AM

I believe cotton was 145 state champ as a freshman and beard i believe was 152. Cotton was one of the states most dominant high school wrestlers as well winning 3 ncaa's div.2 national championships and 1 national runnerup as a freshman to go with 4 kansas state high school state titles.
Posted By: klein

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/07/17 01:29 PM

top 10:

1- Melvin Douglas
2- Eric Akin - 2x Olympic alternate / 4x AA 2x runner up
3- Shawn Bunch - Qualified Olympic weight / Olympic alternate / national Runner-Up Edinboro
4- Zach Roberson - Iowa State National Champ 3x AA
5- Tyler Caldwell - 2x Runner-Up 4x AA
6- Kendrick Maple - OU National Champ
7- Joe Johnson - Iowa National Runner-Up
8- Temoer Terry - 3x AA Nebraska highest is 3rd
9- Matt Murray - National Runner-Up Nebraska
10- Eric Luedke - 2x AA Iowa - highest 3rd
Posted By: Regan Erickson

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/07/17 07:52 PM

Jeremy Long: he can’t compete with post high school success wrestlers, but if we are talking high school stats, his are very impressive, and some I think unmatched, but I could be wrong.

4X State Champ, 143-4. Of his 16 matches at the state tournament, he had 1 decision(pretty sure 7-2), 3 major decisions, 1 tech fall, and 11 pins. Does anyone have less career mat time at State?
He has wins over 2 Kansas 4X state champs, and one 3X’er that would have been a 4X’er (and a Colorado 4Xer, the CO kid was in Greco and Freestyle after his sophomore year, the others all during high school season). Does anyone have more wins than this over 4Xers (while in high school)?

He also beat all 4 opponents that beat him within a few weeks after his loss, except one, who he beat a year later (and I think it was a takedown tourney, but still).
Does this make him the best? I’m not saying it does, but I do think it throws him name in the mix, of at least “4 years of high school wrestling” category.

I like Klein's top 10 list for post season accomplishments, and bet there will be another one to add soon (Weigel).

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/07/17 09:04 PM

top kansas wrestlers all time
1. Melvin Douglass
2. Zach Roberson
3. Eric Akin
4. Kendric Maple
5. Tyler Caldwell
6. Shawn Bunch
7. Temoer Terry
8. David Ray 4x ks champ goddard carroll 3rd div.1 nat edinboro
9. Romero Cotton
10. Joe Johnston
11.Matt Murray
12. Eric Luedke
A little rushed but all had great high school, college and some post high school careers. I thought 4 and 5 could go either way.
Posted By: codykramer

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/08/17 11:20 AM

I realize this is from a different era, here are two more of the all time greats........

Peter Mehringer "The Kansas Whirlwhind" from Kinsley, Kansas

Accomplishments: 1932 NCAA Runner Up at KU
1932 Olympic Freestyle Champion

Myron Roderick from Winfield, Kansas

Accomplishments: 1951 and 1952 State Champion

3X NCAA Champion at Oklahoma State
Finished 4th at the 1956 Olympic Games

Re: BEST WRESTKER IN STATES HISTORY - 04/08/17 04:14 PM

Nice work! I'm adding in chris bollin 3x state champ immaculata high 1 high school loss and 1 tie 83, 84, 85 and 1989 all american 3rd at U of Oklahoma. Matt Treaster 1 high school loss 4x champ at Beloit 81,82,83,84 and 1987 div.1 all american 5th at Navy. Also Tanner Gardner Shawnee Heights i believe he was a 3 time state champ and 2 time Div.1 all american at Stanford. Cody Garcia Hutch high 3 x state champ and 2x Div.2 national champ and 4x all american at Nebraska-Omaha.
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums