Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wizzer Stories #84132 04/03/06 05:41 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
This is the third tournament we have done with the Wizzers. As with all tournaments in the past there are stories, and believe me, I mean there are stories. Well with over 140 kids, and a large number of us at one hotel, you won't believe the stories this time. Throw them out as you have them, old or new from ther past or the present. There will be some good ones, like a hail storm this time with 4 inches of hail on the road on the drive up, getting stuck on an interstate going into Lincoln for over an hour after a semi in front of us was blown over by a tornado and watching Skip Harrington socialize with every person on the interstate visitation. Those just on this trip, and just the start. Bring them on, I know there are many more good ones out there.

Re: Wizzer Stories #84133 04/03/06 05:57 PM
mhs_indians Offline
well my friend devon moneroe a senior 189 pounder was at his hotel at 3am when it was robbed by three men...this step dad had a gun held to his face....but the funny part is that the old lady behind the desk couldnt get the cash register open so he took the whole cash register and no one was hurt...scary but crazy cool at the same time

Re: Wizzer Stories #84134 04/03/06 07:18 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I wouldn't think that was funny...I would have had to run to the bathroom after something like that. What hotel were you guys in for future reference of those that trek up that way to tournaments often?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Wizzer Stories #84135 04/04/06 04:07 AM
W
wrestlingfan65 Offline
W
I have a hotel story from my first kids state that could beat any wrestling hotel story besides the one from my freshman year on the way to wrestling camp which i can also not tell on here, but regardless staying in the hotel room with teamates is pretty fun usually. On another note Thanks for breaking down and posting how every team did mike, you always do a good job of doing stuff like that and it makes it eaiser for a lazy guy like me to know what is going on, I really do enjoy things like that.

Jason Malay

So that makes you a Jewfin?
Re: Wizzer Stories #84136 04/04/06 04:37 AM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Okay since I now have time I will write my $.02 on the weekend....

1. Clarion Hotel? Man that was something else. If it wasn't for the Arabian guy it would have probably just been another stay in a hotel. I have never been called a loser teenager while at the same time being told to get in my room by someone besides my mom... weird. That takes the cake as far as weird goes, but there was actually a pretty good looking girl staying in the motel that was there for the National Power Lifting meet, she could bench 185 and only weighed probably 140lbs... she was good looking too. I think every guy on the team took their turn trying out their best lines on her, but all failed because she was on the phone with her boyfriend. The Arabian guy also fired the cook on Friday morning after he couldn't keep food out on the talbe for all the wrestlers... poor guy... major complaint though, the hot tub was broke... I guess I can't have it all

2. Getting stuck on interstate 80 for over an hour. I'm not kidding there was also another good looking girl stopped beside us so we got out and socialized... it was very worthwhile. I socialized with the other wrestlers and watched people drive through the median to turn around and head to an exit 3-4 miles behind us. Mike has them on video so maybe he can post it for us.

3. The hailstorm we drove through by Minneapolis was something I've never seen before. I took a picture with my camera phone and it looks like I was driving through a snow storm, there was literally over 2" of hail on the ground.

4. The wrestling was outrageous. There were so many big names and big matches going on all the time it was hard to follow. I must admit that I didn't coach as much as the others, I still coached my fair share and that was more work than I wanted. I did however feel the joy of coaches who accomplish something, when Brandon Marlett defeated Connor McCarthy in the quarterfinals by a 0(1)-0 Double OT win rideout to win. The look on his face was something I'll never forget as I realized how happy he was and what that win meant to him.

4. Kansas as a whole was a pretty impressive force in the tournament. We had a pretty large crowd and a very large amount of wrestlers. I can say I'm most proud to have been a coach of this team that won according to the unofficial standings the team races in all four divisions.

5. Cox vs. Furches... it doesn't get any better than these going at it for the 5th time this year. Sorry Nate/Mike but I did bet $1 on the match in favor of Cox, I just had to bet against Ray, which by the way thanks for the $1 it helped buy me a set of Blazin' Wings from BWW.

6. Buffalo Wild Wings... NEVER, NEVER buy the Blazin wings. Friday Night after the wrestling was over my group went to the BWW and we each ate our food, I got the bright idea to all chip in a $1 (thanks Nate I'm blaming it on you) and buy a 6 pack of Blazin' Wings (they are basically basted with Habanero oils and very little taste just fire) and well to make the story short my lips and mouth were on fire for at least 20 minutes after eating just one wing.

7. The trip to weigh in the seniors was something else. Mike claims he followed the directions as Mapquest provided but somehow we ended up going the wrong way and getting lost in Omaha. Well we finally found the Hotel by dumbluck I think. It was one of those stories you just had to be there for.

If I've forgotten anything, feel free to add to this or your take on the stories I've listed.

Alex

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Wizzer Stories #84137 04/04/06 02:37 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Alex, way I hear you owe me at least .50 on that one bet. We could probably fill the board up with Skip stories as well. He was great to have a long. Of course after Dante and Joey ate him out of candy and pop I think the two of them owe him something.

I think Nate and Trent have it about worked out to pull a Dante and Joey when they go at it next time. Keep it fun for three periods, make sure the score is tied, then in the overtime go at it. Nate may have lost that match to Trent but I can't think of anyone I would be pulling for more outside of Nate. It is great to see that those two have become good friends as well as great competitors.

Regarding the Mapquest thing and getting lost, I wasn't the only one who got lost on their mapquest directions.

Re: Wizzer Stories #84138 04/04/06 02:46 PM
C
CoachEd Offline
C
Mike,

Jordan and I drove up separately from Ed and he gave us his "TOM TOM"-that sounds bad doesn't it.
Anyway, it is a little GPS thing and it tells you what to do and where to go, literally, sometimes we would go the wrong way just to hear it yell at us. Also, on Hwy 81 after Concordia it would go nuts and in the middle of nowhere say, " turn left NOW! and the picture would show us out in the field and then eventually we where back on the road. It did it both ways. I don't know if the road has been remade or what but it was funny.

Ms. Jenni

Does that mean that Coach Ed has lost control of his little TOM TOM?

Re: Wizzer Stories #84139 04/06/06 06:06 AM
P
Peench Offline
P
I would like to talk about skip. I didnt really know the guy I just saw him around at tournaments during the summer coaching Central Kansas but after meeting the guy, I found out that he is a pretty cool guy. He had me cracking up the whole time, especially when he was driving us around on the highway. I really think people should look at what he does for the sport of wrestling. He gave up something he really liked just to be up there with us at the tourney, thats what we need more of in the state of Kansas. I just want to thank skip for everything that he is done for the sport.

Jesse Hardy
Re: Wizzer Stories #84140 04/06/06 09:20 AM
J
jse Offline
J
The reason Skip gave up something he really "liked"was to do something he really "loved".Skip is a key part of CK wrestling success.The longer my son wrestles for them the more I hear"Skip taught me this or Skip taught me that".His knowelege and passion for the sport is unmatched,and contagous.Those who know him not only know what he does for Kansas wrestling but feel lucky to have him.Those who try to keep up with him at tourneys are in awe of him.Motavator,teacher,tuff guy,coach,pretty good guy to have in your corner.Thankyou Skip for what you do for Kansas wrestling but more thankyou for what you've done for my son. look foward to this summer.j elliott

Re: Wizzer Stories #84141 04/06/06 12:21 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't know if people realize it or not, but Skip is one of the people to start kids wrestling in Kansas, and was to my understanding the person to start Freestyle/Greco in Kansas. I have to admit, that while I enjoy the kids club, when we first moved here, Skip was the primary reason we joined Derby and Central Kansas. Sure, we have affiliations with TOHK but it is clear that we are primarily with Derby. I remember Coach Knox once telling his club that when Skip told them something that they should listen because he has already forgotten more than most people in Kansas Wrestling would ever know. I have stated before and will state again, there are two people who deserve to be in the Kansas Wrestling Hall of Fame that are not currently there, Ed Gallagher, and Skip Harrington.

For the powers that be, think about Skip's contributions and the fact that for years he took wrestlers to tournaments all across the country. I would also challenge individuals to look at and think about what the wrestlers think of him. Skip is great and it was well worth it to help take care of him while there. Truth is, he kept us all on our toes.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 117 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,370
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)