Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice Needed. #85041 07/19/06 09:57 PM
Scotty Offline OP
OP Offline
I've wrestled for two years. Wrestling has been the only sport that I have participated in competition wise. And in those two years, I've received the following injuries:

Torn ACL and Meniscus in my left knee countless cracked ribs on my left side.

And that's all my first year. Some may not think that's much.

But try telling that to my Mother.-.-"

My second year injuries include a Left Hip Injury after being slammed onto it 3-4 feet in the air and God knows how many concussions. And a broken nose.

I quit because I would've been kicked off the team due to fighting cause of the harassment I was receiving from my so-called "teammates" and the coach was doing nothing about it.Let's just say, it was so innapropriate that it wasnt even freakin' funny.I broke down twice after practice in the girls' locker room from it.I was taking the High Road, which is kinda like the same titled song by Fort Minor.

I didn’t wrestle from January First to February 26. Feb. 26 was Girls' Open State in McPherson,Kansas. I ended up with not finishing the tourney cause I got sent to the ER with possible c6 and clavicle injuries. I come out of it with torn muscles in my left shoulder from the base of my neck to somewhere in my shoulder.

All my injuries have come back clean from MRI's and CT Scans, but they always act up. (‘fore I forget, my medical bill limit is like two grand, and I’ve passed it. Both years.) To the point of tears. And I hate to cry. I was literally beating myself up for crying at Girls' State in front of all those people, those little girls who look up to the older wrestlers and my two coaches who were mat side with me, trying to calm me down and were telling me it was okay to cry. Call me weird, but yes, I hate to cry. Only time I’ve cried and not beat myself up for it was when both of my grandparents died.

My mother is now telling me that I cannot wrestle anymore, and that she wants me to have nothing to do with it.

Now the question is, what should I do? I want to follow my mother’s wishes but, I can’t turn my back on wrestling. I may have only done it for two years, unlike others who’ve been wrestling since the age of five, but I still love it just as much as them, despite all the crap I've received from it.You fellow wrestlers will understand when I say that there’s a certain draw about wrestling. The adrenaline rush, just everything about it. Oh yeah, can’t forget the fact that it’s the only sport that encourages you to rub your opponents face into the floor. XD

My Favorite People List:
Aaron Sweazy
Coach Ed and Ms. Jenni,
Maniac,usawks1
Curtis Chenoweth
Bronco Wrestler aka Alexandra
Re: Advice Needed. #85042 07/20/06 02:15 AM
RedStorm Offline
Are you fragile or were the boys just being overly forceful because you are a girl?

You sound like you are out for wrestling for the right reasons and not to just make a point, but regardless of gender, wrestlers who are oft-injured usually receive the ire of their team mates. The fact you quit the team (regardless of circumstance) won't make your return to the team any easier.

If you are serious about the sport, I suggest you find a weight room and do some serious lifting both before and during the season. This will help you physically and certainly earn the respect you probably deserve. Don't be some side-show that keeps getting hurt. Don't waste energy crying after a loss. Talk with your coach about where can improve and then work on those things in your next match.

I cried when my mom passed away about four years ago. Be grateful that you not only have a mom, but a mom who is genuinely concerned about your physical and emotional well-being. Make sure you honestly communicate with her about your intentions and what steps you will take to ensure your safety and then follow through. Good Luck!

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Advice Needed. #85043 07/20/06 03:57 AM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Wow, well said. I agree with Mr. DeWitt. Good job!

One of a parent's many jobs is to protect their kids. If you keep getting hurt, then maybe you need to find another sport. Have you tried tennis? It is very cool.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Advice Needed. #85044 07/20/06 05:17 AM
Trego Wrestler Offline
Tennis is an awesome sport!

Re: Advice Needed. #85045 07/20/06 09:33 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Trego Wrestler:
Tennis is an awesome sport!
Her mom will make her quit when she gets tennis elbow.

My suggestion, train freestyle only and then referee kids tournaments during the season when there is a need for officials.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Advice Needed. #85046 07/20/06 11:55 AM
J
jmadden Offline
J
you just lost your spot on her favorite peoples list!

Re: Advice Needed. #85047 07/20/06 08:33 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Scotty,

You are in a sticky situation. You love the sport but you can't disobey your parents.....here's a possible compromise:

Talked to your mom. Let her know you love the sport and want to be involved somehow. You compromise by not wrestling but being the manager of the team during the season. See how that goes. Then in the spring try and work a deal with your mom to wrestle in girls tourney's only.

I offer this as a potential compromise. Good luck1

Re: Advice Needed. #85048 07/20/06 08:38 PM
D
Dawgfan Offline
D
Well let me give you this perspective from a MOM. First I congratulate your Mom for allowing you to participate in a male dominated sport I'm not sure I would have allowed my daughter to do that.

Your mom wants to protect you, that's the way we are. You may not realize it but those injuries could come back to haunt you someday. I know an injury, that incurred during sports, kept my son from pursuing his dream in the military.

Now to the harassment the coach did nothing about. If that had been my daughter (or son) and the coach did nothing I would have been in to see the AD, the principle and the school board. If it was that bad something should have been done.

Re: Advice Needed. #85049 07/21/06 02:57 AM
J
Jared C Offline
J
I think you should talk to your mother about wrestling. Try to have an adult conversation with her and talk to her as an equal instead of a mother. Give her your reasons for wanting to wrestle and also acknowledge her reasons for not wanting you to wrestle. I have grown up with my girl cousin wrestling. Hell she kicked my butt all the way up till my 8th grade year. I think women have just as much right in the sport as men do. But they should be able to take the same punishment and give it out to. I hope your mom realizes that you love the sport and allows you to participate in the greatest sport ever!

Re: Advice Needed. #85050 08/11/06 11:39 PM
Z
zachman140321a Offline
Z
man well said everyone....
you sound like you fall in bad positions all the time i know wrestlers who get hurt all the time because during a match they get so gung ho about everything they dont watch what theyre doing like trying pick up a knife with the sharp end and doing it fast and hard not that im sayin anything theyre must be a problem somewhere...

another one bites the dust

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 162 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)