Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85720 09/27/06 01:51 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Tonight we start practice for the Kansas Wizzers at Derby High School. The Wizzers, as many have noticed in the past is a different kind of club. We have a USA Kansas Club Charter and are officially a Kansas Wrestling Club. We have a different kind of focus though which I will mention here.

It is our objective to produce and provide as many opportunities as possible for Kansas Junior High, and Kansas High School aged wresters. We are a strong supporter of the various kids programs and will continue to do so. However, our objective is to work within the rules and guidelines of USA Wrestling and the KSHSAA. For that reason, our emphasis is specific to Junior High or Middle School, and High School aged wrestlers. In fact we encourage the Middle School or Junior High program wrestlers to wrestle with Kids Programs if there are no kids programs available in their community or school district.

We start practice tonight and have worked to insure that we do not duplicate practice days with Wichita North West and Coach Ed. In fact we encourage HS aged Wrestlers, and Middle School aged wrestlers to practice at one of the other locations on the nights we don’t have practice. We have issue with so many times during off HS season there seems to be competition between clubs. We believe this to be a detriment because it thins out the rooms and number of practice partners. Our desire is to work with all of the clubs in the area during the HS off season to provide the best opportunities possible.

One of the things we have done, and will continue to do, is seek out tournaments and promote the Kansas HS Wrestler to the best of our ability in order to provide the best opportunity possible for them. It is our belief, that on a HS level, we promote team Kansas as opposed to Team “whatever you want to insert here.” We will be looking at some dual format tournaments, and hopefully those will include both in state and out of state teams. As a part of this we will focus on aggressive, physical wrestling where needed, learning various styles, and having various clinicians come into the room to instruct. We will also work at promoting the wrestler to the next level by putting them into contact with various college programs. We have referred wrestlers to various programs around the country, as many HS wrestlers, coaches, parents and colleges are familiar with. We also have individuals working with the Wizzers who are active in the national ranking services for HS Wrestlers. We will focus on individual wrestlers strengths, and will practice all three styles of wrestling year round, when the club holds practices.

Currently practices are at Derby HS from 6:30- 8:30 Mondays and Wednesdays until the Kids program there starts. Once the kids program starts, we will readjust our practice times and days. We will start practice tonight, 9/27/06. Practice starts at 6:30, we expect at this level, wrestlers be ready to practice at this time.

There will be sign up information available for The Wizzers tonight, we do welcome all wrestlers whether with the Wizzers or not within these age groups to practice with the team. A USA Membership card is required to practice with the team, and we will have information available to sign up for a USA Card at each practice.

One of the attributes of the program is a strong emphasis on basics, identifying your wrestling style, and getting stronger at that, finding your optimal wrestling weight, and conditioning. There is a lot of live situational wrestling in the room, with minimal instruction on technique. Don’t get this wrong, there are clinical and practice sessions where technique will be focused on, but on a HS level, with the level of wrestlers who have been in the room in the past, we believe a greater focus has to be given to toughness, conditioning, and live situations. We will work with a lot of old school techniques, that are legal, and within the rules, but not always pleasant.

For more information or updates you can email me at mike@furches.org or call me at 316-258-3952 Sign up information and team guidelines will be available tonight.

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85721 09/28/06 02:07 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Had a good hard practice last night, remember tonight is Wichita NW or Goddard for those not staying at home and watching the premiere of Smallville like I am. For those interested in Wizzer info, email me. There will be benefits for those signing up with the team. email at mike@furches.org, or send me your email through the site here. I also have forms I can send clubs and HS's to make available to wrestlers regarding all of the information.

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85722 09/29/06 02:57 AM
Spartan Wrestling 05 Offline
Mike,

Will you guys be going to the Rocky Mountain Monster Match in Denver 4-5 Nov. Bunch of Lansing/Leavenworth wrestlers have been going to it for the last four years. Super tourney. We plan to do it again this year.

Mike Flynn

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85723 09/29/06 11:36 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Not certain yet Mike, it depends on the interest. Originally on the schedule for that day was the Emporia or Union Take Down tournaments. Will be talking more next week as we get more of the parents organized. I kow it is a great tournament and we have had some great showings in the past.

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85724 10/02/06 10:56 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Tournament deadlines are fast approaching. Anyone going to the Super 32 with the Wizzers needs to sign up soon as they are quickly approaching their deadlines and maximum tournament entries. This entry needs to be paid ASAP as they will meet their deadline early and are basing it on paid entries. We also need sign ups for The Fall Brawl and the Oklahoma 2 day tournament. Contact me for information. We will also be having practice tonight at 6:30, (Monday 10/2)

Remember, for those who have not received this years paper work contact me. It is possible that Wizzers wrestlers will receive scholarships to Fargo this next summer that could possibly amount to a full scholarship. This year there are other benefits besides just being on a winning team.

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85725 10/02/06 06:40 PM
O
oldfan Offline
O
Who is running the practice room in Derby.

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85726 10/02/06 08:01 PM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Depends on what night it is. Mike for the most part. I shall be there tonight to coach and will be for most of the other practices as well.

Curtis Chenoweth
Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85727 10/02/06 09:01 PM
Computerized Shoes Offline
Darn, if I didn't work tonight I would definitely be down for comin to coach

Taggin' for Tyler
Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85728 10/03/06 02:56 AM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Really good hard practice tonight, lots of blood, sweat, and super tired wrestlers at the end of practice. Curtis hit the nail on the head. I control the room, pretty strict for those there, actually ran out some high school kids tonight who were causing some distractions. Curtis helps out a lot, but we also have various people come in at various times when we get to technique. Right now just trying to get wrestlers into wrestling shape. No kidding on the hard practice, lots of all that mentioned, including some kids working so hard they had to visit the spew tank. Will encourage the high school kids to pick a room tomorrow night. I think most of the guys at the Wizzers room tonight said something about heading to NW tomorrow night, we had one of theirs tonight and he worked his tail off, a good kid Ed, you all have done well.

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85729 10/04/06 08:38 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Parents meeting tonight so for those that can be there. Practice 6:30-8:30, someone tape Lost for me

Re: Wizzers Start Up and Practice #85730 10/05/06 03:02 AM
C
Curtis Chenoweth Offline
C
Another great practice tonight. Tonight was a pretty intense night and the kids responded well. I encourage all that are interested to join us. It's not to late. I think Mike and myself make a pretty good duo as we bring different things to the room that makes for pretty good coaching. But that's just my opinion. You're more than welcome to come find that out for yourself.

Curtis Chenoweth

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 202 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)