Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
thanks for the good times #89701 07/30/04 05:06 PM
D
Dan the Man Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I would first like to congradulate all the wrestlers in Fargo. That is one tough tournament. It is impressive to see all those mats on the floor of the FargoDome. I just want to say thanks to all the athletes, coaches and parents I got to work with the last 17 years I officiated greco/freestyle. As some might already know I made So. Plains Kids/cadets my last tournament. I made a promise to myself all those years ago if I could not go to as many meets that I felt I needed to go to to be the best official I could be that I would quit. I have changed jobs, less pay than when I worked at UPS, and am planning on going back to school this fall. I feel I need to focus on school like I used to focus on wrestling. I will still officiate High School, so I will see some of you then. I will miss seeing all of you at matches. My wife Mary, I got married last Nov., wanted me to make sure I was doing this for me, not just for her. She wanted to go to some matches but taking off from her teaching gig was hard. Travelling became hard when I could not take off from the new job like I could at UPS. There are a bunch of people I wiould like to say thanks to, but will only name one. I will probably leave a name out since there are so many, and I do not want to hurt any feelings. I know some of you are laughing at that last statement. I really want to say thanks to John Aiken. He called and asked me to officiate with him in 1987. He was the one who gave me rides and explained the basic philosophy of being an official to me. As an official I always strived to be the best official I could be, like some of you athletes, I wanted to be the best official on the mat. Over the years I know I have "irritated" many coaches, athletes, and parents. To them I say I am sorry. I tried to officiate every match the same, give each athlete the same oppurtunity to be the best athlete on the mat. I feel I was a decent official and was objective of this great sport of wrestling. Some of you might disagree with the "decent" description I know. Anyway I had a great time being an official would not trade these great times for anything. Again I say Thanks to everyone ever involved with USA KS Wrestling. See ya around. Dan Smith

Re: thanks for the good times #89702 07/30/04 07:59 PM
O
OLTYMER Offline
O
thanks Dan, i officiated with you a couple of times and also hired you to officiate a couple of times, your effort and desire to do the best was always present, though have to admit to chewing on a a time or two. I have a funny story to relate, one time when you were working the Imac tournament, one of my former wrestlers was seated directly behind me in the corner and screamed out a curse word at you. You nailed me with the unsportsmanlike. It is funny now, was not then,,ha ha,,I made a transition from being involved directly with wrestling a few years ago and now find myself shifting back towards it, once a wrestling guy, always a wrestling guy. best of luck

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 165 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)