Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Potential for another tournament in Kansas #5633 08/28/05 06:50 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Sportsfan, not just the "North Carolina" people trying to do a tournament here, remember they are seeking help and advice from Kansans. I see this in the same way as I see another person I greatly respect, Bill Gossett taking the Liberty series to Georgia, remember he is from Missouri. I honestly don't think Dave or the tournament has any desire for any conflict with any other tournament and they realize the need for the tournament to grow. By the way, numerous larger tournaments on a “National” level are held in High Schools. Look at the dual tournaments at Derby, Newton, Abilene, Manhattan, and numerous others. There is a high school in Edmond Oklahoma that has a gym smaller than several in the Wichita area, that has a Pre Turkey Open every year, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. They run over 1,000+ Jr. High and High School Wrestlers through there. If this tournament has the potential of bringing the best from around the country here, as opposed to our wrestlers having to go there, I am all for it, but that is obvious. I would personally like to see some of our kids have a chance at some of the likes of Grajales, Taylor, Palmer, Cozart, Friskhorn, Epperly, Moser, Sentes, and the like. Can you imagine a Erisman and Cozart match on our own soil?

Re: Potential for another tournament in Kansas #5634 08/28/05 07:57 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Furches:
Sportsfan, not just the "North Carolina" people trying to do a tournament here, remember they are seeking help and advice from Kansans. I see this in the same way as I see another person I greatly respect, Bill Gossett taking the Liberty series to Georgia, remember he is from Missouri. I honestly don't think Dave or the tournament has any desire for any conflict with any other tournament and they realize the need for the tournament to grow. By the way, numerous larger tournaments on a “National” level are held in High Schools. Look at the dual tournaments at Derby, Newton, Abilene, Manhattan, and numerous others. There is a high school in Edmond Oklahoma that has a gym smaller than several in the Wichita area, that has a Pre Turkey Open every year, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. They run over 1,000+ Jr. High and High School Wrestlers through there. If this tournament has the potential of bringing the best from around the country here, as opposed to our wrestlers having to go there, I am all for it, but that is obvious. I would personally like to see some of our kids have a chance at some of the likes of Grajales, Taylor, Palmer, Cozart, Friskhorn, Epperly, Moser, Sentes, and the like. Can you imagine a Erisman and Cozart match on our own soil?
Then everything is set! Let me know when sign-ups close.

Re: Potential for another tournament in Kansas #5635 08/28/05 10:10 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
By the way, numerous larger tournaments on a “National” level are held in High Schools. Look at the dual tournaments at Derby, Newton, Abilene, Manhattan, and numerous others.
Just a little clarification!

The tournaments at Derby and Newton are not on a "National" level".

The Derby Tournament is an Invitational and not a dual tournament format.

Derby Invitational Tournament January 7 and 8, 2005!

The Newton Tournament is also an Invitational and not a dual tournament format.

Newton Invitational Tournament January 14 & 15, 2005!

Abilene High School did not host a tournament.

Abilene High School 2004-2005 Wrestling Schedule!

Manhattan High School also did not host a tournament!

Manhattan High School 2004-2005 Wrestling Schedule!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Potential for another tournament in Kansas #5636 08/28/05 10:23 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
If the Newton tournament teams average 10 wrestlers per team that is 240 wrestlers total. I think Newton runs 5 full mats during preliminaries. One of those is in the wrestling room with little seating. Shouldn't be too hard to squeeze in another 800 or so wrestlers.

Re: Potential for another tournament in Kansas #5637 08/29/05 03:38 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardDSalyer:
Quote:
By the way, numerous larger tournaments on a “National” level are held in High Schools. Look at the dual tournaments at Derby, Newton, Abilene, Manhattan, and numerous others.
Just a little clarification!

The tournaments at Derby and Newton are not on a ""National" level".

The Derby Tournament is an Invitational and not a dual tournament format.

Derby Invitational Tournament January 7 and 8, 2005!

The Newton Tournament is also an Invitational and not a dual tournament format.

Newton Invitational Tournament January 14 & 15, 2005!

Abilene High School did not host a tourmanent.

Abilene High School 2004-2005 Wrestling Schedule!

Manhattan High School also did not host a tournament!

Manhattan High School 2004-2005 Wrestling Schedule!
OOOO Mahnattan JV went to Wymore last year? Mmmm....Burger Bar!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Potential for another tournament in Kansas #5638 09/06/05 04:45 AM
P
prairiefirewrestling Offline
P
I think it is clear that everyone here wants to support wrestling.
To make the tournament a USA sanctioned tournament is not a large cost if it is sanctioned by Kansas Kids. The High School wrestlers will have to obtain their USA wrestling card to participate in the Kansas Kids state Championship, so what would be the reason for not being Sanctioned? The only non-sanctioned tournaments I have attended, charged horrible prices with no regard to coaches or exhibitors. As coaches(most if not all) we donate our time, money for gas, food, hotel, etc. If you have a son or daughter that wrestles and you can coach then it may not seem so bad, but what about those coaches without their own children in wrestling. It is hard to recruit 'childless' coaches when they have to pay $20-50 for a tournament.
With regard to qualifying, to go to USA Kids Nationals the wrestler has to wrestle at Districts,a simple qualification. Personally, until last year, I thought they had to qualify for the State CH. It would not be hard to come up with qualifications, though it could in turn limit the number of wrestlers.
As I see it, part of the reason for not having a bigger participation in the older ages, is the lack of wrestling season. Why should they pay $30 for their USA card for 1 reg. season tournament then 4 tournaments (yes they lead to state and nationals).
I do not know about other clubs, but our club can only have access to our local High School wrestling room after they get access to it. So having a preseason tournament could hurt some clubs that share facilities. It is easier to get access after wrestling season is over then before it starts.

Because you possibly do not know our club, we will ask that you consider putting a girls division in the tournament.
As a Central location we have the unique opportunity to draw in wrestlers from mutiple states will give all the wrestlers some good competition.

We look forward to opportunities to wrestle.

Prairie Fire Wrestling
http://www.prairiefirewrestling.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 125 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)