Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. #95975 12/10/06 04:34 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Didn't get all the scores as I hoped, but can tell you that the top 3 teams were as follows:

1. Eureka
2. Chapman
3. Wakeeney-Trego

Eureka had 8 finalist overall and one in every weight class from 103-135, winning 4 of those 6 matches with one victory being a tech, and another a pin, with the other 2 coming by decision. Eureka also picked up a victory at 160 and yet another champion by way of fall at 215 for a pretty solid day going 6-2 in the championship matches. Eureka's champions: Frye-112, Brobst-119, Bechtel-130, Benz-135, Wittner-160, Stillwell-215.

Chapman had 7 guys going for 1st and finished with 4 champions: Matt Coles @103, Jon Arveson @ 145, Will Irvine @ 171, and Justin Espeseth @285. Also of note, Chapman's state qualifier from a year ago Steve Nelson was out of the tournament taking his A.C.T. The other qualifier from a year ago not mentioned for the Irish (Tim Coles), finished a distant fourth at 130lbs in a dissappointing day for the senior.

With 10 of the 14 Champions coming from the top 2 finishing schools, only 4 championships were won by other programs:

125 was won by Danny Floyd of Osborne (this kid has a great drop step to a bear hug...he will be really stellar before his career is done.) ONLY A FRESHMAN!!

At 140lbs hometown boy Cody Eaton (jr) won by fall over James Richmeier of Trego.

152 showed a dominating performance as Travis Budke of TMP-Marian pinned current 6th ranked 3a wrestler Alberto Contreras.

Finally in a battle of #1 ranked 3a wrestler Michael Malay v. #3 ranked Matt McGinty of Southeast of Saline at 189...Malay won 3-1 if I recall with 2 of the 3 point coming off of "being too rough" penalties. Pretty good and intense, but wish they would have let them wrestle a bit more, although there were some clubbing arms going on.

Good tournament overall as usual and finals started around 4:30!!!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #96011 12/10/06 11:36 PM
Trego Wrestler Offline
That wast a fun match, and a fun tournament.

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: Trego Wrestler] #96079 12/11/06 11:01 PM
J
J3Its3JM upsdwn Offline
J
1) Do you have full results of all the brackets and places?
2) What were some good matches?
3) And who really stood out?

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: J3Its3JM upsdwn] #96101 12/12/06 03:37 AM
J
J3Its3JM upsdwn Offline
J
or maybe not?

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: J3Its3JM upsdwn] #96104 12/12/06 05:17 AM
Wyatt Bechtel Offline
In my opinion Benz, Bechtel, and Stillwell stood out in their weights for Eureka. Floyd of Osborne also looked sharp for a freshman. Budke of TMP pinning a ranked Contreras of Minneapolis was sort of a suprise. The biggest disappointment had to be Arverson of Chapman, he looked bad. I believe all of his matches were decisions, against not so great competition(non-state qualifiers). If Malay and McGinty meet at state I hope they both open up, because most of the match was wrestled on their feet and both of them barely shot at all.

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: Wyatt Bechtel] #96135 12/13/06 06:34 PM
M
mom4 Offline
M
Something people may not realize is that none of the Chapman wrestlers were very healthy that day. There is a flu that is going around the school. There were some wrestlers from Chapman who probably should not have left their bedroom let alone try to wrestle.

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: mom4] #96136 12/13/06 07:04 PM
S
Scooby Offline
S
I have to agree with mom4-

people don't consider why someone might look bad- they just remeber them looking bad.

this time of year it is nice to perform well but all in all the end of Feb is most important

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: Scooby] #96152 12/13/06 11:14 PM
J
J3Its3JM upsdwn Offline
J
I wouldn't exactly call 145 a "push-over weight" either, I wasn't at the tournament so I don't know how the brackets, seeds, and matches went... but could it be possible to see the bracket and results so I can form my own opinion on the tournament?

Last edited by J3Its3JM upsdwn; 12/13/06 11:16 PM.
Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: J3Its3JM upsdwn] #96171 12/14/06 03:09 AM
M
mom4 Offline
M
I agree with what Scooby and J3Its3JM upsdwn. I do want to point out one more thing....

you must be one great athlete when it no longer is good enough just to be undefeated. The pressure must be overwhelming when people make comments about you not pinning anybody rather than just "major-decision" or winning all of your matches. How many people would like to trade places?

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: mom4] #96172 12/14/06 09:05 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: mom4
I agree with what Scooby and J3Its3JM upsdwn. I do want to point out one more thing....

you must be one great athlete when it no longer is good enough just to be undefeated. The pressure must be overwhelming when people make comments about you not pinning anybody rather than just "major-decision" or winning all of your matches. How many people would like to trade places?

mom4:

If I understand your post(s) correctly, it is not permissible for a high school wrestler from Eureka to state his opinion regarding another talented wrestlers performance, which the commenting wrestler witnessed first hand, however it is acceptable for a mom of a wrestler to make excuses for the teams performance.

Also, congratulations on your sons finish!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: mom4] #96173 12/14/06 10:10 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: mom4
Something people may not realize is that none of the Chapman wrestlers were very healthy that day. There is a flu that is going around the school. There were some wrestlers from Chapman who probably should not have left their bedroom let alone try to wrestle.

I will state as someone that was there that some of our guys went out there and didn't think very clearly (older Coles flopping into some strange situations that no state qualifying vetran should ever flop into). Also I always hear the we were sick theory, but Arveson didn't look very sick at the opening of his championship match...I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO RIP THAT KID'S HEAD OFF. I think Chapman doesn't suffer from the flu, they suffer from kid's not being in shape come the 3rd period in my opinion.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: RichardDSalyer] #96181 12/14/06 02:44 PM
M
mom4 Offline
M

If I understand your post(s) correctly, it is not permissible for a high school wrestler from Eureka to state his opinion regarding another talented wrestlers performance, which the commenting wrestler witnessed first hand, however it is acceptable for a mom of a wrestler to make excuses for the teams performance.

Also, congratulations on your sons finish! [/quote]

I was not making excuses. I was simply stating a fact. I did not say anything about whether we would have performed any differently if the team was healthy.

As far as stating an opinion....he made his comment and I made mine. This is a discussion board you know.

I actually didn't see Jon wrestle that day and so can't make a comment on his particular performance. I am simply saying that it must be tough when winning at a tournament is no longer considered an accomplishment. This is not just about our wrestlers but for all of those wrestlers out there. You must be a great athlete when people not only expect you to win but expect you to pin everyone and not just win by major-decision or by points anymore. You know that you are in the elite field when people start to make these kinds of comments about you.

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: mom4] #96206 12/14/06 06:05 PM
F
Fort Scott Dad 2 Offline
F
I just got back from West Side Video, in case anyone was wondering. I have full results and documentation of my visit if anyone is interested.

Re: Just back from the Minneapolis Tournament. [Re: Fort Scott Dad 2] #96211 12/14/06 06:10 PM
P
purpledragdad Offline
P
Please do tell i went there 3 days ago along with Cactus Jack's!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (CoachFitzOS, Coach Vieyra), 120 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,385
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)