Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help an official out ... #96038 12/11/06 03:39 AM
L
LegsNdrags Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is to all the coaches/assitant coaches/parents etc.:
As a first year official, I have had a "trial by fire" introduction to the world of wrestling officiating. Having coached several years, I knew making the transition to official would be an adjustment. What I didn't know is how much of an adjustment it would be. I have learned that there are definitely "grey areas" when it comes to many different rulings and that learning the intricacies of officiating is much more a art form than just knowing the rule book and calling things black and white (even though we try to do so as much as possible). With all of the above said - I have some requests for coaches and spectators.
1. Please respect the fact that it isn't an easy job and that many of us - especially the newer ones, are still learning.
2. Please understand that it is in no way my intention (and I have to assume) anyone elses intention to "blow" calls or make mistakes - and especially is it not my intention to get anyone hurt or call something unfairly.
3. Please use a little discretion when calling out officials. In my young career - I have already been blasted by several coaches (JV level) who have taken it upon themselves to reem me in a way that is extremely disrespectful.
4. Please make sure that you are up to date on the rule book and have a very clear understanding of exactly what the rules state before you question an officials call.
5. Finally, as I understand, officials are sometimes hard to come by - and really good officials are few and far between. My guess (at this point) is that it is hard to recruit folks into a field where they can expect to be belittled and ridiculed as well as called out in a very public forum consistently. I think that for the good of the sport - and to allow officials to develop the qualities neccessary to be very good - folks need to understand that we are human beings that are required to make split second decisions under a great deal of pressure while watching out for numerous things in a fast paced action sport. Coaches/Spectators who give little thought to this as they wait until we make a mistake to blast us are undoubtedly giving little thought to all of the above.
*As a side note - I don't ever see coaches making any comments when an official has called a good match. Granted it is our job - but it seems that just waiting to pounce on official when he makes a mistake is not only not a very good example for the kids but also a good way to detour would be "good" officials from wanting to go out there and do a job that without which - this great sport would not be.
**As a second side note - I would like to commend some of the coaches that I have worked with at recent tournaments who have been coaching their kids to shake the hands of the official after a match - win or lose - great sportsmanship and definitely a "good call"!
Any comments would be most appreciated.

Re: Help an official out ... [Re: LegsNdrags] #96041 12/11/06 05:44 AM
D
Defref Offline
D
LegsnDrags:

Been there, done that. It takes time. Be thick skinned. Coaches do not know the rules but, then again, I don't know how to coach so I figure we're equally disadvantaged.

Its an emotionally charged, close in sport, as you know from coaching. Everyone expects you to know the rules and apply them consistently. The rules are pretty straight forward. The consistency takes experience. But what usually drives coaches and fans crazy is an official that clearly does not know the rules. For example--if you let a kid hold the foot to the butt for more than 5 seconds when broken down, don't be surprised when a coach who knows the rule starts yelling. Or if you let a kid lift or run a chicken wing parallel with the body, dont' be surprised when a parent gets in your face after the kid suffers an injury.

The best way to learn is by mentoring with an experienced offical but you'll have a tough time finding one, I think. I would strongly urge any new official to visit some of the wrestling web discussion forums -- the NFHSS has one, Indiana has one, The Mat.Com has several links. These sites are frequented by officials who are interested in improving and who will engage in thoughtful discussion of the rules, their application, and their exceptions. The threads cover basic stuff but also more interesting situations as well as the philophical aspects. You can learn a lot just by reading and if you ask questions these folks will answer. Also, I am surprised how many officials appear to have a good understanding of the sport but don't actually study the rules and the case book. If your 2006 rules book still has the cover on it you aren't reading it enough.

Good officials have common traits. Watch them and find a style that suits your personality.

Other than a complete mastery of the rules book, if I had to give three tips to a new official they would be:

1. Get away from the action -- you do not need to be in close, even to see a fall. That's why the parent in the stand knows you blew the call, he saw it but you were so close you missed it. Most inexperienced officials get too way close. And don't "feel" for a fall...that shows everybody you can't see.

2. Confidently verbalize all your calls...let everyone in the gym know exactly what you are calling, why you are calling it, and by your voice and signals, that you know what you are doing.
Act confident even if you find yourself in a match way over your head.

3. Slow down, relax, and enjoy the match. You don't need to be jumping all over the place, hoping up and down off the mat, and getting yourself all lathered up. You can see everything just fine while on your feet about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time when the action picks up you pick it up, too.

And I guess there is a 4th. The rules do not allow, and in fact, prohibit, a coach from being disrespectful to you. So does the Kansas ethical standards for coaches. You've been a coach so you know that every official expects a little grumbling on close calls and that's what the mean when they say don;t have "rabbit ears." You can ignore and just "not hear" an awful lot of stuff that is just the coach expressing his disappointment. That stuff's not personal and its not really directed at you. Let it go. But the first time a coach raises his voice in a personally disrespectful manner where he is obviously directing it at you, give him a "knock it off look," the second time he does it, stop the match, walk over to the table, beckon the coach over and say, very politely, "Coach, I have just stopped this match because you are carrying on in an unsportsmanlike manner and it is interfering with this match. This is a JV tournament and we are all learning, so I am not going to penalize you this time, but please don't do it again." If he doesn't learn, then use the rules sequence and he'll eventually be gone. This is very hard to do but inexperienced officals must learn to keep control of the match, even when they are struggling and learning, or the whole thing just snowballs.

Good luck, and remember the green arm band goes on the right arm.

Re: Help an official out ... [Re: Defref] #96045 12/11/06 01:04 PM
Mike Furches Offline
I don't know who DefRef is, but this is great advice. Some great vetran refs took me under their wing last year, and some like new F1 Mark Anderson 2 years ago, and all of this is consistant with their advice, others include, Mike Wilms, Steve Herman and Keith Ashpole. Some of that advice, especially too close, slow down, and thick skin couldn't be more appropriate. The advice here is indication that this is a ref to learn from. Bottom line, thanks DefRef, some great stuff, I'll start looking at you alongside the good ones like I mentioned here, and others I didn't.

Re: Help an official out ... [Re: Mike Furches] #96053 12/11/06 02:47 PM
L
LegsNdrags Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks so much for the advice - both of you. I am lucky enough to have a mentor official working with me and you can bet we will have a long conversation after this past weekend. I also really appreciate the explanation of the sequence that I need to follow next time I have a coach being disrespectful. 2 questions:
1. I hear that the hands feeling for a pin is appropriate and not? If you can't see - what else can you do?
2. Can you penalize a coach after you have already told him that you will deduct a point and then he says something to the effect of "go ahead ... I don't care" or blasts you again about his disagreement - or about something totally unrelated? (And yes - I am using my experience this weekend as an example)

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 182 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)